Sign in to follow this  
pullie1

Division tie breaker

Hi 

I am in a 2 division league and theirs a possibility of a 3 way tie. What are your league tie breakers? I would think division record first and if still a tie between 2 of the 3 teams than head to head? What are your leagues doing in a situation like this. I'm  sorry if I posted  in the wrong forum. Please let me know if I should remove it and place it elsewhere.

Thanks

Highest points or  bench points 

Do the teams play each other an equal number of times?  In our league division opponents face each other twice.  We use H2H as first tiebreaker, followed by division record, and then highest PF throughout the year.

4 hours ago, pullie1 said:

Hi 

I am in a 2 division league and theirs a possibility of a 3 way tie. What are your league tie breakers? I would think division record first and if still a tie between 2 of the 3 teams than head to head? What are your leagues doing in a situation like this. I'm  sorry if I posted  in the wrong forum. Please let me know if I should remove it and place it elsewhere.

Thanks

Head to head, division record, total points in that order is how we determine tiebreakers.

Head to head record

Division record

Total points scored

• Like 1

1.Total points in all three leagues, we do play H2H plus a full season total points.  

2. H2H   

Should have been laid out ahead of time, if not that is a problem. Total points is the fairest but some like to use head to head. May have to flip a coin if hadn't been planned for. 

• Like 1

in my 30yr old keeper league
Div record, h2h, pts scored, pts against when the tie breakers are to win the division.

For the wild card spots its total pts scored, total pts against then h2h

in all my leagues, tie breaker is total points.  if total points is tied, then Head to head matchups.   wins (if tied in wins total points for and against in both games)

Power rankings are the beat metric to measure the better team. After power ranks then points. Always have hated H2H and div records BS. I run a league and break ties this way. Too much variance involved with player bye weeks as it is imo

13 minutes ago, rowdystylz1 said:

Power rankings are the beat metric to measure the better team. After power ranks then points. Always have hated H2H and div records BS. I run a league and break ties this way. Too much variance involved with player bye weeks as it is imo

Power rankings are fine if you're in a Rotisserie league, but if you're play H2H with divisions why on earth would you use NOT use H2H rankings first?  I'm in a head 2 head and our tie breakers are for those in the same division are:

• H2H record between the two teams
  • Division Record
  • Total Division Points
  • Total Points

Power rankings reward the teams who score the most points which is why it works in Rotisserie leagues but not H2H leagues, IMO.

22 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Power rankings are fine if you're in a Rotisserie league, but if you're play H2H with divisions why on earth would you use NOT use H2H rankings first?  I'm in a head 2 head and our tie breakers are for those in the same division are:

• Division Record
  • Total Division Points
  • Total Points

Power rankings reward the teams who score the most points which is why it works in Rotisserie leagues but not H2H leagues, IMO.

I see your point of view.  its similar to what the NFL does.

but for fantasy football, the best metric on the strength of the team is usually points scored.    all my leagues use that as the tiebreaker.  likely because its the easiest to determine, and if you have to program a computer to do it, that's fairly easy.

I honestly dont care much either way, but points scored is the easier calculation the vast majority of the time.    To that end, it also encourages people to start their best lineup at all times and that IS in the best interest of the league.

• Like 1

Total points tells the whole story.  

No matter the system.  

One  that scores the most points, thy have the best team.  

Done.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

• Division Record
  • Total Division Points
  • Total Points

Total points is the best indicator of the best team.  There's enough luck in fantasy football already and there's no need to add more of it. You're not actually playing against someone like in real sports making who won the head to head contest largely irrelevant.  Yes, you're using H2H to determine record but that's mainly because the game is much more fun that way

Total points isn't ALWAYS the best indicator of the best team, but it's usually a better measure than H2H record.  But if a team has a guy like Nyheim Hines last year, who finished as the RB15 on the strength of like four 20-pt games and then the other 12 games he was more harm than help--the team wouldn't axually be as strong on a week to week basis as a team with a legit RB2.  Or maybe you have to start some scrub TE on a bye week and he goes off for 4 TDs, making your team look better than it really is.

My "Team of Extraodinary Genitals" is one of my better teams, currently tied for the best record at 10-4, but I'm third in total points because I'm really 10-3 with one forfeit--my entire team was on bye in Week 7, so I accumulated zero points for that week.  So I probly have the best team in the league, but my total points don't reflect it.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Total points isn't ALWAYS the best indicator of the best team, but it's usually a better measure than H2H record.  But if a team has a guy like Nyheim Hines last year, who finished as the RB15 on the strength of like four 20-pt games and then the other 12 games he was more harm than help--the team wouldn't axually be as strong on a week to week basis as a team with a legit RB2.  Or maybe you have to start some scrub TE on a bye week and he goes off for 4 TDs, making your team look better than it really is.

My "Team of Extraodinary Genitals" is one of my better teams, currently tied for the best record at 10-4, but I'm third in total points because I'm really 10-3 with one forfeit--my entire team was on bye in Week 7, so I accumulated zero points for that week.  So I probly have the best team in the league, but my total points don't reflect it.

Right, you’re the third best team. 

Total points is  what matters the most.  

• Like 1