Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Players coming off Covid

I have a perception that players returning from Covid seem to do poorly that first week back.  Namely Gaskin, Darrell Henderson, and Anthony Walker last week.

Does this bear out?  No one really tracks it so it's difficult to get a quantitative perspective on it.

OK, so you guys didn't want to do the research for me so I went ahead and did it.

There seems to be some correlating factors here:

1. If a player is out for being a close contact, there appears to be little effect on playing time and performance.
  2. If a player spends 10 or more days on the COVID list, there seems to be a correlation to reduced performance... Devante Adams Week 9, Amari Cooper Week 13, Linval Joseph Week 14, Kyle Duggar week 15, Gerald Everett Week 6 (Nick Chubb being an exception week 11)
  3. If a player is activated from the COVID list without practicing that week, there appears to be a correlation to loss of playing time or performance... Salvon Ahmed and Myles Gaskin Week 15, Darrell Henderson Week 15, Quez Watkins Week 15, OBJ week 15

In conclusion, under 5 days on the COVID list, you're probably good to go.  If a player gets a few days of practice in after missing 5-9 days on the COVID list, they're probably good.  If a player gets activated on a Saturday after missing a week of practice or has been on the COVID list for more than 10 days be careful putting them in your lineup that first week back.  And finally, never sit Nick Chubb if he's playing.

• Like 1

That all being said, I'd be concerned about Brandin Cooks a bit if he comes off the COVID list on Saturday.  There isn't too much history to draw on specifically with the Texans.  Zach Cunningham went on the list Friday 10/1 and came off Wednesday 10/6 and saw his playing time reduced quite a bit in week 5.  HOwever, it appears he may have just lost his job to Grugier-Hill.

Cooks had a positive test, so I believe protocol dictates he would have to clear Sunday morning.

Hang on... I see they updated the COVID protocols this week.  Apparently it's a lot easier to get players back.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32911909/nfl-covid-19-protocol-changes-week-15-postponed-games-new-testing-return-play-rules-nfl-navigate-omicron-variant

How will it be quicker for sidelined players to test out of protocols?

To this point, vaccinated players and coaches could return once they tested negative twice with at least 24 hours in between, as long as they had no symptoms. Unvaccinated players who tested positive were required to sit out 10 days. In most cases, this was a distinction without a difference. Only about 20% of vaccinated players who tested positive were able to return in less than 10 days.

Since the end of last week, the new protocol has not required a negative test. There are now a series of new combinations of single negative tests and cycle threshold (CT) readings that can in theory have a player back as soon as one day after a positive test.

Could it really go that fast?

One day is a stretch, unless it is an asymptomatic test caught near the end of infection. But early indications suggest this protocol change could speed up the overall process, at least for some. Los Angeles Rams receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was cleared for return four days after his positive test. Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey was cleared in six days. But many players, as well as Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski, still hadn't returned a week after testing positive. That's why Stefanski missed the Browns' rescheduled game Monday night against the Las Vegas Raiders.

I'm not sure how materially different these new protocols will be.  I mean maybe a day?  They're essentially saying they'll count a positive test as a negative test if the test really has to work to find traces of the virus which indicates they're trying to recognize that the infection is passing and getting people back in action sooner.

Thanks for the research. Hoping Ekeler, Kelce & Hill are off the list ASAP. Don't own either of those last 2, but Mahomes is my QB.

Here's a better one.  Around the 2:30 mark he says, "it's not looking good" and he's obviously symptomatic.  He ain't playing.  Good news is he feels well enough to do the podcast.

Hill and Kelce tough. They went on the list Tuesday.  Possible they play.  The main thing will be if they're asymptomatic or not.

Another player mentioned Tyreek Hill's COVID and he posted a sad face, so I'd assume he's symptomatic.  Kelce has just been retweeting stuff, so hard to tell on him.

I don't like it, but thanks for the Ekeler info. Can definitely tell he has a head cold, chest cold, or both. It made one decision for me already. Someone else already beat me to Justin Jackson. Since there's no one else available on the WW, I have no choice but to start Jeff Wilson tonight. Hope for the best and cope with the rest.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Hang on... I see they updated the COVID protocols this week.  Apparently it's a lot easier to get players back.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32911909/nfl-covid-19-protocol-changes-week-15-postponed-games-new-testing-return-play-rules-nfl-navigate-omicron-variant

I'm not sure how materially different these new protocols will be.  I mean maybe a day?  They're essentially saying they'll count a positive test as a negative test if the test really has to work to find traces of the virus which indicates they're trying to recognize that the infection is passing and getting people back in action sooner.

it doesn't really feel like the new protocols are making a big difference. OBJ was off it quick but that seems pretty rare.

6 minutes ago, Donkey said:

it doesn't really feel like the new protocols are making a big difference. OBJ was off it quick but that seems pretty rare.

Agreed.  They aren't even testing vaccinated players anymore unless they're symptomatic.  To me that means, less players will get on the list, but when they do, they'll be on over a week.  My reasoning is that I think the players that have been getting off in 5 days were likely asymptomatic.  Those guys won't get on the list anymore.    I'd expect we're going to see 7-9 day stays on the list starting next week.  

This week we'll see a reasonable number of players come back early.

6 minutes ago, nobody said:

Agreed.  They aren't even testing vaccinated players anymore unless they're symptomatic.  To me that means, less players will get on the list, but when they do, they'll be on over a week.  My reasoning is that I think the players that have been getting off in 5 days were likely asymptomatic.  Those guys won't get on the list anymore.    I'd expect we're going to see 7-9 day stays on the list starting next week.  

This week we'll see a reasonable number of players come back early.

not entirely correct,

With that said, the NFL and NFLPA decided to halt weekly testing of vaccinated players and coaches and implement a random cadence that is not dissimilar to its drug testing. The new protocol does not specify how many such individuals will be tested per week, but it will include "a sample selection based on position group and staff cohorts," as decided by the league's health and safety office.

In addition, if a vaccinated player or staff member reports symptoms, he or she will be required to be tested.

My team name has been “Rushin’ Collusion” for the past several years, but I think I may change it to my original name, ‘Red Cross’ because of this crap.

I have to sit Evans now, and am wondering if Perriman is going to be a go. 

Should be interesting to see how T Hill does today. Coming off the Covid list, not practicing and then straight to game time.

I am playing against him and Mahomes so I’m hoping it’s a big dud for KC today!

Let’s go Pittsburgh D!