Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

covid strategies

I am wondering if there is merit to having one.

considering how fast this thing is spreading, I am thinking if you have two players expected to put up similar numbers, but one plays early.  

maybe its wise to take the thursday night game with the thought if covid hits one of your later games, you still have options.   once the thursday game is played, that player is essentially a dead roster spot if you dont start them.

thoughts?

We just added a Covid pickup rule

You can do an emergency pickup, of that same position, if a player goes Covid

Up to that players gametime 

Although initially maddening, I think weekly covid outbreaks separate experienced managers versus the amateurs.

Nowadays, Aps like Yahoo basically do all the work for you and tell you who to start; However, with likely more injuries due to a lengthy season and the daily outbreaks, league managers actually need to put in some work and have strategy to prepare for all game day scenarios. I don’t hate this.

22 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Although initially maddening, I think weekly covid outbreaks separate experienced managers versus the amateurs.

Nowadays, Aps like Yahoo basically do all the work for you and tell you who to start; However, with likely more injuries due to a lengthy season and the daily outbreaks, league managers actually need to put in some work and have strategy to prepare for all game day scenarios. I don’t hate this.

One just needs to start the right ones, all the home work and strategy doesn’t give one an advantage when everyone else in your league are equal quality ff owners and managers of their ff team.  If one is simply following Yahoo or the advise of those free leagues are amateur ff owners.   

But then it simply comes down to luck. 

Good day sir   

The other thing I'd recommend is put the later game players in your flex spots just in case.  Unlikely that you'd get that late of a last minute scratch, but if something happens the flex spot gives you max flexibility.

14 minutes ago, nobody said:

The other thing I'd recommend is put the later game players in your flex spots just in case.  Unlikely that you'd get that late of a last minute scratch, but if something happens the flex spot gives you max flexibility.

I actually make a point to do this. Once I'm sure of who I am starting, early games go in the designated spots. Doesn't matter who it is. Late games get the flex, just in case there is an injury in warm-ups. 

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

One just needs to start the right ones, all the home work and strategy doesn’t give one an advantage when everyone else in your league are equal quality ff owners and managers of their ff team.  If one is simply following Yahoo or the advise of those free leagues are amateur ff owners.   

But then it simply comes down to luck. 

Good day sir   

Luck is certainly part of the game.

But so is work. I added Huntley on Tuesday.

I do not have Lamar, but will start with confidence over J Allen due to match up alone.  Moves like this, give the experienced managers a possible edge.

6 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Luck is certainly part of the game.

But so is work. I added Huntley on Tuesday.

I do not have Lamar, but will start with confidence over J Allen due to match up alone.  Moves like this, give the experienced managers a possible edge.

Sometimes, if Huntley doesn’t perform up to par and Allen has a better game, one just made a experience mistake. 

Bad skill, or bad luck? 

I don't know, I don't pay any attention to who has Covid vs who is just injured.

I know I've had a few players miss games due to Covid, but I couldn't tell you who or when.

It's just like an injury, they can pop up at any time during the week, at practice, or even pregame warm ups. Any time you have a player on Sunday or Monday night, there's always a little risk of something like that happening.

Covid giveth and covid taketh away.  Snagged Justin Jackson for his cake matchup with Houston filling in for Ekeler, then lost Dalvin Cook the next day (Mattison grabbed by another owner).  Now the Jackson move - which was initially a depth move - is suddenly crucial to my chances for the week.  Gotta have your head on a swivel these days.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Sometimes, if Huntley doesn’t perform up to par and Allen has a better game, one just made a experience mistake. 

Bad skill, or bad luck? 

If it’s all luck, why comment on fantasy football message boards or even play at all? 

May as well play slot machines.

There is such a thing as optimal play, not attributed to simply luck.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Bad skill, or bad luck? 

10 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

If it’s all luck, why comment on fantasy football message boards or even play at all? 

May as well play slot machines.

There is such a thing as optimal play, not attributed to simply luck.

I’m simply asking you a question, if your wrong , is it bad luck or bad skill? 

This has actually been kind of fun. It is almost like every single week of the playoffs is a redraft in some respects.

I looked to lose Ekeler in 2 playoffs on Monday. So I grabbed Justin Jackson in both. I lost Kelce in 2 so I grabbed Uzomah in one and then found Goedert (who was dropped for some reason) in another. Lost Dalvin Cook in one but had Mattison.

Lot of movement of IR spots and all that. Only thing that changed in some leagues was we did away with the pay for transactions element considering lots of transactions are happening. 

It has been interesting, lots of moves.  We did away with putting limits of F/A moves.  

well, what i have done is where I can, I start players on Thursday.  this way I have more options on sunday if some last minute covid cases hit my starting lineup.  I'm willing to give up a point or so for security that way.

If I have room to roster 4 WR and I start 3 ....  if I dont start one on Thursday, then I have no options to pivot to in the event of an outbreak affecting one of the remaining WR's.

so I start the thursday guy when I can.  if I lose a point or two over it, I wont get overly upset.  cant do that at the expense of playing your studs, but everyone else is fair game.

Last year we went with best ball but still did waiver and trades. Worked out great we did it again this year. Big difference between my best ball league and my traditional one with this Covid stuff. Highly recommend. It’s more fun too.  Don’t have to set lineups, but the waiver wire is hopping every week, Wednesday- Saturday, amd you have action on many more games.