Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Week 18 this year...

...is more important than any week 17 in NFL history.

Discuss.

The end of the 2021 season.  

I think it's a combination of the one extra game and the extra playoff spot, seems like the math just makes it more important for playoff implications.

I think it's more irrelevant than ever.  The #1 seeds are pretty much wrapped up (though I guess the Titans do have a track record of choking against the league doormats this season) as well as the division winners.  There are really only a few compelling games with two play-off caliber teams: Chargers-Raiders, Rams-49ers, and perhaps Steelers-Ravens (but that one only becomes meaningful if the Jets or Jags somehow pull off an upset). 

15 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I think it's a combination of the one extra game and the extra playoff spot, seems like the math just makes it more important for playoff implications.

that and seedings.  Being the #2 or #3 or #4 could make a lot of difference for conference championship home field with needing three games to get to a super bowl.

22 minutes ago, Showboat said:

I think it's more irrelevant than ever.  The #1 seeds are pretty much wrapped up (though I guess the Titans do have a track record of choking against the league doormats this season) as well as the division winners.  There are really only a few compelling games with two play-off caliber teams: Chargers-Raiders, Rams-49ers, and perhaps Steelers-Ravens (but that one only becomes meaningful if the Jets or Jags somehow pull off an upset). 

but it makes the games meaning for the teams fighting for seeding in the playoffs.  Less teams that are able to rest starters imo.

Just heard a report that Burrow will sit out for Bengals despite their slim chance at a #1 seed.  I'll stand by my contention.