Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Imagine Virginia’s icy traffic catastrophe — but with only electric vehicles

8 minutes ago, nospk said:

The American Petroleum Institute just broke down the taxes on gas in each state and found Illinois charges 77.96 cents per gallon with both federal and state taxes and fees combined. That is No. 2 in the U.S., up from third place after Illinois doubled its gas tax in 2019 and 10th place before the tax hike.

The top spot was claimed by California, which charges 85.38 cents a gallon. Alaska was lowest at 33.38 cents.

The second-lowest gas tax state is a problem for Illinois retailers. Missouri charges 35.82 cents in taxes, meaning the same gallon of gas in Illinois costs 42 cents a gallon more.

Do you have link to the list?  Curious to see where WA stands. Thx. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, dogcows said:

Not sure why this is political one way or the other. I have an electric car and if I was stuck like that, I’d just turn it off except for the heated seats. They use very little power and I’d be fine.

This proves how much of an idiot this guy is. “I’d use the heated seats” :lol: 

There ae so many unsolved obstacles to making electric vehicles a real thing for replacing ICE cars that the future on EVs is clearly not clear. 

Pricing of charging stations - The "cheaper" EVs chargers are cheaper than the super chargers cost but take way longer to charge.

Overall vehicle costs

Current day electric grid support. Check out California and other states where the grids can't even support efficiently what they have now without the EVs.

Charging time. Different cars with different batteries charge a different measures of time. Need multiple types of chargers at every available charging area.

The range sucks on these vehicles.

Charger compatability- Businesses comparable to current day gas stations will need to have multiple charge pointa for  cars/batteries.

Too much high tech under the hood. Here's a blurb about that: EVs are not the only cars that can be hacked, but they are more prone to such attacks. ICE cars have also become increasingly high-tech thanks to mobile FOB and hackers have also used these vulnerabilities. Hackers have more opportunities because EVs are increasingly high-tech. It becomes easier to hack them as more EVs are connected to the internet. And this is not only about the data leak or stealing a car. It is also about a huge amount of metal that can be controlled remotely and leads to massive destruction causing deaths.

Risk of fire under the hood.

Unknowns are cost of charging, infrastructure to set up and support the ever evolving changing of the newer technology, electrical outages effects, affordability of vehicles. Mineral mining and china owning the majority of the minerals needed to put these things together. The resources it takes to build these cars. Batteries disposals and costs of replacing when they run out of juice. 

I'm not even touching the surface here of all the obstacles. And as has been seen in the past, not every "good idea" finds it's way to the finish line through all the obstacles it meets. 

Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I don't think anyone cares if you think EVs are viable.  You don't believe problems can be solved.  We get it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nobody said:

I don't think anyone cares if you think EVs are viable.  You don't believe problems can be solved.  We get it.

You refuse to even discuss major issues in that market. 

I don't think anyone cares what you think about EV's. Why don't you get back to me when they take over the market.

16 hours ago, DonS said:

Do you have link to the list?  Curious to see where WA stands. Thx. 

No sorry this was a cut/paste from an article about the Illinois gas taxes

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I work as a consultant to utility companies and for a long time for one company I designed and built their rates based on the requirements they handed me. Basically, the customers utility bills you get in the mail or online every month.  Some of the rates are rather basic but many of the rates can be extremely complex. What charges use other charges for their calculations and what readings and percentages are they using and what time of day the electricity was used depending on the charge, etc.

It was a constant flow of work and it was rarely slow moving. I moved on to other projects but the coworker who took over my role is still doing that job today since he took over in 2008.  

Some charges are mandated by the states governing authority to be shown on the bill. Many charges can simply be rolled into another charges that gets printed on the bill. So you don't see them on your bill. Nor know how they are calculated. 

Everything gets handed down to the customer even if they don't show you what it is or how it's calculated.  

Each industry will vary in its approach toward the topics of things, such as how to use EBIT or wrap rates for integration of costs.  But I have always observed companies to integrate taxes into COGS

5 minutes ago, nospk said:

People are sprinting to local dealers to pay this much for a Tesla:

Model and Version Range Base price
Model Y Performance 303 miles $62,990
Model S Long Range 412 miles $94,990
Model S Plaid 390 miles $129,990
Model X Long Range 360 miles $104,990

10 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

That's chump change for us GC billionaires! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

That's chump change for us GC billionaires! 

Right? I don't think some here know the costs that go into making these cars. And no one ever speaks of long term ownership costs. The batteries in these last 10-20 years. Which some might think, great. But for those costs? How do you resell these things 10 years used? 

FindMyElectric found in April 2021 that Tesla battery replacements, including labor, tend to cost a bit more:

• Between $13,000 to $20,000 for a Model S premium sedan
  • At least $14,000 for a Model X premium SUV
  • At least $13,000 for the Model 3 entry-level sedan
  • A similar price for the Model Y compact SUV, but as the car only launched in 2020 it’s too new to say for sure

39 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Correct.  And I would also note that replacing the batteries in 6-8 years will result in these things likely being just "junked", or sold on the cheap to people who more or less pay for the new batteries to get the car.

That being said, with increased competition and technology prices will come down and increased accessibility will result. The market works if we let it. 

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Correct.  And I would also note that replacing the batteries in 6-8 years will result in these things likely being just "junked", or sold on the cheap to people who more or less pay for the new batteries to get the car.

That being said, with increased competition and technology prices will come down and increased accessibility will result. The market works if we let it. 

I'm no genius when it comes to these cars, but doesn't China have somewhere between 60-80% of the rare earth type materials needed to build these engines/batteries? 

And if we start mining here in the US to see what we can find, doesn't that go against everything being pushed by the liberals from a climate perspective? How many fossil fuels are used in building these cars?

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

I'm no genius when it comes to these cars, but doesn't China have somewhere between 60-80% of the rare earth type materials needed to build these engines/batteries? 

And if we start mining here in the US to see what we can find, doesn't that go against everything being pushed by the liberals from a climate perspective? How many fossil fuels are used in building these cars?

You are correct. and in fact when the morons on the left started pushing this stuff China went and made sure they had a stranglehold on the global supply as well.

Lithium, which is needed for the Lithium Ion batteries for cars is primarily mined in South America.  We do have a large reserve in the United States as well, however it would be more expensive to mine here due to the fact that our lithium is not as concentrated as the lithium in South America.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/six-largest-lithium-reserves-world/

Rare earths:

What are known as rare earths is a list of 17 different metals used in various applications. China does have the largest reserve of them at 38%, however there are other countries that are both friendly to the US and friendly to mining that have large reserves as well such as Australia and Brazil.

We do have some rare earths in the United States as well, the problem is not really the mining of rare earths it is the processing. The processing of rare earths leaves lots of pollutants behind and China does not care about that as much as the US.

18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Lithium, which is needed for the Lithium Ion batteries for cars is primarily mined in South America.  We do have a large reserve in the United States as well, however it would be more expensive to mine here due to the fact that our lithium is not as concentrated as the lithium in South America.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/six-largest-lithium-reserves-world/

What are known as rare earths is a list of 17 different metals used in various applications. China does have the largest reserve of them at 38%, however there are other countries that are both friendly to the US and friendly to mining that have large reserves as well such as Australia and Brazil.

We do have some rare earths in the United States as well, the problem is not really the mining of rare earths it is the processing. The processing of rare earths leaves lots of pollutants behind and China does not care about that as much as the US.

This is what I have seen. And how is this saving the planet?

https://www.fpri.org/article/2020/10/chinas-monopoly-on-rare-earth-elements-and-why-we-should-care/

According to geologists, rare earths are not rare, but they are precious. The answer to what appears to be a riddle lies in accessibility. Comprising 17 elements that are used extensively in both consumer electronics and national defense equipment, rare earth elements (REEs) were first discovered and put into use in the United States. However, production gradually shifted to China, where lower labor costs, less concern for environmental impacts, and generous state subsidies enabled the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to account for 97 percent of global production.

And then this:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2011/1042/of2011-1042.pdf

China’s dominant position as the producer of over 95 percent of the world output of rare-earth minerals and rapid increases in the consumption of rare earths owing to the emergence of new cleanenergy and defense-related technologies, combined with China’s decisions to restrict exports of rare earths, have resulted in heightened concerns about the future availability of rare earths. As a result, industrial countries such as Japan, the United States, and countries of the European Union face tighter supplies and higher prices for rare earths. This paper briefly reviews China’s rare-earth production, consumption, and reserves and the important policies and regulations regarding the production and trade of rare earths, including recently announced export quotas

16 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I'm a ghey liberal troll who likes to take it in the behind.

JFLRNRLF

Gee, I see how that works now. 

9 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

This is what I have seen. And how is this saving the planet?

https://www.fpri.org/article/2020/10/chinas-monopoly-on-rare-earth-elements-and-why-we-should-care/

According to geologists, rare earths are not rare, but they are precious. The answer to what appears to be a riddle lies in accessibility. Comprising 17 elements that are used extensively in both consumer electronics and national defense equipment, rare earth elements (REEs) were first discovered and put into use in the United States. However, production gradually shifted to China, where lower labor costs, less concern for environmental impacts, and generous state subsidies enabled the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to account for 97 percent of global production.

I am unsure of the point of your reply, but i agree with it. China processes almost all of the rare earth because they do not care about the pollution it produces.

Like I stated previously both Brazil and Australia have a pretty good amount of reserves and we in the United States also have enough to open a few mines if we wanted to.

Your article is correct, the materials are not rare, but what is rare is finding spots they exist in any quantity.

As far as saving the planet, we all balance standard of living verse environmental impact. I imagine there are not too many tree huggers that go without using iron, copper, and other metals in their daily lives. Rare earth is another material that we need for our daily life. 

As someone who has worked at multiple mines and is also an environmentalist, I think that the concerns around mining are overblown. I have personally been on reclaimed mines that were better than the original environment.

21 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am unsure of the point of your reply, but i agree with it. China processes almost all of the rare earth because they do not care about the pollution it produces.

Like I stated previously both Brazil and Australia have a pretty good amount of reserves and we in the United States also have enough to open a few mines if we wanted to.

Your article is correct, the materials are not rare, but what is rare is finding spots they exist in any quantity.

As far as saving the planet, we all balance standard of living verse environmental impact. I imagine there are not too many tree huggers that go without using iron, copper, and other metals in their daily lives. Rare earth is another material that we need for our daily life. 

As someone who has worked at multiple mines and is also an environmentalist, I think that the concerns around mining are overblown. I have personally been on reclaimed mines that were better than the original environment.

My point is, it's a crappy time throw taxpayer $ at it. 

There are so many hurdles to get past at this point. I do not think the technology should stop growing in the least and companies that believe heavily in it should keep trying, but it is way too early, with way too many unanswered questions to have put $7,5 billion into this. Especially when this country's debt is so far out of control that kids today should be very wary about their futures. 

And if the government is going to be managing any part of this technology, and it's delivery to the people, then even more so I think it will turn into an expensive mess. They can't even run a DMV efficiently. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, edjr said:

Does everything have to be political? Some of you are really twisted focks

It is political. 

Things are political.  Always have been, just never magnified like it is today.

Pro-Gun = Conservative

Lenient on crime = liberals

Pro-Gay - Liberals

Pro-wear a mask the rest of your life to be safe = liberals

Covid this, covid that = Liberals

Pro-American Flags, Pro-America = Conservatives

Pro-Shoot thugs in back of head and thrown in trash = Conservatives

Pro-break windows, burn buildings in the name of BLM = Liberals

Pro-Electric vehicles = Liberals

Pro- Celebrity = Liberals

Pro-Farmer, Hard work = Conservatives

Pro-Take from the wealthy, give to poor = Liberals

Pro-Earn your way = Conservatives

Believe in unicorns = liberals

Pro - Sequins and and bling on your shirt and pants = Liberals

Pro-Dance your way to the top = Liberals

Pro-China = Liberals

Pro-Subaru = Liberals

Pro-4x4 pickup = Conservatives

feel free to add to it.  And no arguing!

12 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

It is political. 

Things are political.  Always have been, just never magnified like it is today.

Pro-Gun = Conservative

Lenient on crime = liberals

Pro-Gay - Liberals

Pro-wear a mask the rest of your life to be safe = liberals

Covid this, covid that = Liberals

Pro-American Flags, Pro-America = Conservatives

Pro-Shoot thugs in back of head and thrown in trash = Conservatives

Pro-break windows, burn buildings in the name of BLM = Liberals

Pro-Electric vehicles = Liberals

Pro- Celebrity = Liberals

Pro-Farmer, Hard work = Conservatives

Pro-Take from the wealthy, give to poor = Liberals

Pro-Earn your way = Conservatives

Believe in unicorns = liberals

Pro - Sequins and and bling on your shirt and pants = Liberals

Pro-Dance your way to the top = Liberals

Pro-China = Liberals

Pro-Subaru = Liberals

Pro-4x4 pickup = Conservatives

feel free to add to it.  And no arguing!

Pro spending trillions on this and that thinking they can control the weather: Liberals