Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

GMs, Coaches Fired / Hired

A 19-30 record will get you fired every time.

ICEMAN

Broncos are really about a competent QB away from being competitive.  Give them Rodgers and they're right there with the chiefs.

They should fire Elway for trotting Drew Lock and Bridgewater out there. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They should fire Elway for trotting Drew Lock and Bridgewater out there. 

Didn't he already fire himself or something? 

54 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Didn't he already fire himself or something? 

He drafted Lock. And I’m sure he still has final say. 

Not surprising. THey invested too much money and draft capital in their offensive weapons and the QB play was still holding them back too much. 

Bad move for the Broncos. Elway never gave him much of a chance.  For an ex Qb Elway is awful at evaluating the Qb position imo.  I think coach was the scape goat.  

So, let's see...

- Broncos fire HC Vic Fangio
- Vikings fire GM Rick Spielman, HC Mike Zimmer
- Bears fire GM Ryan Pace, HC Matt Nagy
- Dolphins fire HC Brian Flores
- NYG: GM Dave Gettleman retires, HC Joe Judge
- HOU fires HC David Culley, OC Tim Kelly
- LV Fires GM Mike Mayock
- NO: Sean Payton taking a break
- TB: Bruce Arians moves to front office role

Edited by Mike FF Today
Update

13 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Gotta wonder how much of that deterioration was due to the high level push to trade for Watson, and Flores not publicly supporting the trade or Tua.

1 minute ago, Vikings4ever said:

Gotta wonder how much of that deterioration was due to the high level push to trade for Watson, and Flores trying to avoid commenting on the possibility.

I read somewhere that Watson was interested in coming to Miami, basically because Flores was the coach, so that lines up.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, cmh6476 said:

Broncos are really about a competent QB away from being competitive.  Give them Rodgers and they're right there with the chiefs.

😆

I think about any team could say that, give us Aaron Rodgers and we're up there with the Chiefs

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

😆

I think about any team could say that, give us Aaron Rodgers and we're up there with the Chiefs

Maybe.  But the Broncos have a really good D and a lot of offensive weapons.  Not everyone is in the position that Denver is, where a QB would make all the difference with this team.  Give them an elite QB like Rodgers and they're an automatic Super Bowl contender.

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

Gotta wonder how much of that deterioration was due to the high level push to trade for Watson, and Flores not publicly supporting the trade or Tua.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

I read somewhere that Watson was interested in coming to Miami, basically because Flores was the coach, so that lines up.

This is all too confusing for me.  Ross wanted Tua.  He told the GM to draft him.  Then, all of a sudden there's rumors that Ross and the GM wanted Watson.  So Ross soured on Tua in 9 months?  Seems like a stretch to me.  If that's the case though, why fire Flores if Watson wanted to go to Miami and management/ownership wanted Watson?  The only thing I can think of is that Flores wants Tua and not Watson.  If that's the case, then why fire Flores?  If Flores goes somewhere else, Watson's going to want to go there and not Miami, right?

To me, Miami was respectable under Flores.  He was doing a good job.  They just need an OLine that doesn't blow chunks.  An RB that doesn't suck would help too.  I mean, Tua is still a wait and see, but QB's usually get the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Dolphins fire Brian Flores...

honestly I felt that that was a well coached football team.

I think its clear that a rift developed between him and Tua.  maybe over the trade rumours but maybe other things.

clearly the team wasn't willing to give up on Tua yet despite the rumours.

3 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

probably a fair bit.

typically  the coaches job is to publicly say Tua's my man.    I don't recall seeing a whole lot of that.

but I would not have ever expected a coach to go out and support the trade publicly.   that's stupid because you still have to work with Tua in the interim.  until its a done deal you don't say anything about that.

but by not coming out and endorsing Tua I'm sure it hurt Tuas confidence.  and now that the team has to move forward with that relationship, its possible the only way to repair that relationship with the team is to Turf someone (presumably the coach as the GM wont take the blame if he can help it)

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

but QB's usually get the benefit of the doubt.

totally agree.   they wont turf the QB.  they will turf the coach.

not sure the coach was to blame here, but as is often the case, he became the sacrificial Lamb.

If I were another team, I'd be looking at the possibility of hiring this guy.   I think he did a good job with the talent they had there.  I honestly don't think that he was the problem in Miami.

Dolphin fans like me are upset and stunned that coach Flores was fired, but the god awful GM Chris Grier after SIX DEPLORABLE SEASONS still has a job. Fans have been calling for his head for several years now. And yet, he still collects paychecks.

Why does the moronic owner Stephen Ross keep him around???  By the way, the average lifespan for a white American male is 78.  Stephen Ross turns 82 in May.   :ninja:

well, with the sheer number of first round picks hes had, they should have a better team than they currently have.

Granted lots of those picks are still fairly recent and it sometimes takes a couple of years before you see the results from the players.

in the end, the GM's job is to get the talent,  the Coaches job is to teach, train and put in systems that will maximize their performance.

given where the team is at talent wise, I think the coach did a fine job.

but I agree, the GM is likely more to blame than anyone.   But the GM rarely will take responsibility.  that's why the coach is getting fired.

So I now understand why the Dolphins fired Flores.  They fired him because he was right and they (Grier/Ross), we wrong.  Flores wanted Herbert, not Tua.  He also wants Watson (it's where all those rumors came from), not Tua.  Grier and Ross want Tua.  In 3 years when the Dolphins are drafting another QB to replace Tua, that'll be when Grier and Ross realize they were wrong.

Most Dolphin fans didn't want Tua.  "He was great at Alabama..."  yeah, who isn't.

I have no problems trading for Watson, but I don't want Grier to do it. He'll sell the team down the river just to save his job for another year or two.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In 3 years when the Dolphins are drafting another QB to replace Tua, that'll be when Grier and Ross realize they were wrong.

If my chicken bones and three-legged goat work the voodoo magic, Ross will be growing daisies by then.  :ninja:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Most Dolphin fans didn't want Tua.  "He was great at Alabama..."  yeah, who isn't.

I have no problems trading for Watson, but I don't want Grier to do it. He'll sell the team down the river just to save his job for another year or two.

well, they say the most crazy trades usually happen when a GM is trying to save their own job.  

I guess this may be a situation to watch.

Giants fired Joe Judge.

Chalk up another loss for Bill Belichick's coaching tree. Responsible for New York's fourth and fifth consecutive losing seasons over the last two years, Judge's tenure comes to a comical end with an embarrassing 10-23 record and far more bark than bite including zero 30-point games, 16 contests in which the Giants failed to reach 300 yards of total offense, and a Week 18 3rd-and-9 white flag with a quarterback sneak from the team's own five-yard line. It's truly up in the air whether Judge will land anywhere in the NFL since he was severely outclassed in every aspect of game planning and in-game coaching weekly. The Giants will thus overhaul its general manager, head coach, and perhaps quarterback positions ahead of the 2022 season.

Good riddance!  The last few weeks of the season were a train wreck..

Judge cracked under the pressure. He never had that tough, disciplined team he promised. Just like Gettleman never fixed the offensive and defensive lines like he promised. 

Since there's no "Coaches Interviewed or Hired" thread, I'll say here that I think it's interesting that the three offensive coordinators being interviewed for the Broncos' Head Coaching vacancy are from the Chiefs, Packers and Cowboys--all top 10 passing offenses, but only Dallas is among the top 15 rushing offenses.  Sounds like they might be looking to put the ball in the air next season...

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Since there's no "Coaches Interviewed or Hired" thread, I'll say here that I think it's interesting that the three offensive coordinators being interviewed for the Broncos' Head Coaching vacancy are from the Chiefs, Packers and Cowboys--all top 10 passing offenses, but only Dallas is among the top 15 rushing offenses.  Sounds like they might be looking to put the ball in the air next season...

They have the horses.  But they could exhume Bill Walsh or Don Correal and it won’t do any good with Teddy two gloves or Lock chucking it. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They have the horses.  But they could exhume Bill Walsh or Don Correal and it won’t do any good with Teddy two gloves or Lock chucking it. 

Maybe they go with the Packers' OC as a worm to bait the Rodgers hook...

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Maybe they go with the Packers' OC as a worm to bait the Rodgers hook...

That would be quite a get. But Rodgers amd the Pack appear to have mended their fences. Might I suggest making a play for Matt Ryan? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That would be quite a get. But Rodgers amd the Pack appear to have mended their fences. 

Do they?  I still think the only reason Rodgers came back this year was so that he, and not Favre, would hold the Packers' passing TD record.  But that's just speculation.

13 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's probably because they expect those 3 teams to be eliminated by next weekend.  Don't want to take the OC's from Cincy or Tampa because they'll be playing for a few more weeks.  Makes sense really.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2022 at 3:56 PM, Bills04 said:

The last few weeks of the season were a train wreck..

Yeah, I think the team gave up in the last few weeks.

when that happens it usually gets ugly.

He had zero chance. 

6 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

What did he do wrong ? That untalented team over achieved. Houston is a mess. And that’s coming from a Giants fan. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What did he do wrong ? That untalented team over achieved. Houston is a mess. And that’s coming from a Giants fan. 

I was surprised when I looked at their record.   this probably should have been a last place team.  but they were not Last place.

I also think he did a good job.   but clearly the GM felt like someone needed to pay, and he wasnt gonna put his own head on the chopping block.