DonS

Spermoff: Concert you didn't want to attend but ended up enjoying

A few years ago for Christmas I bought my wife tickets to see Neil Diamond.  I figured I would hate it but g0ddamn that old bastard put on a great show! Turns out it was also one of his last gigs before having to stop touring for good due to Parkinsons.

What shows ended up surprising you? 

20 minutes ago, DonS said:

A few years ago for Christmas I bought my wife tickets to see Neil Diamond.  I figured I would hate it but g0ddamn that old bastard put on a great show! Turns out it was also one of his last gigs before having to stop touring for good due to Parkinsons.

Back in high school my girlfriend at the time used to call into radio stations to try to win concert tickets. She won tickets to Petty, the Go-Gos, etc.

The Go-Gos were awesome. Flock of Seagulls opened for them.

We bought Chicago tickets about a year ago because friends were going.  They covided and friends got a refund. I was too lazy and did not do anything so there were still good.  So about a month ago my wife said it was rescheduled for that night and I did not want to go and said lets just skip it.  She dragged me and they were really great.  Not just good but great.  Go see them if you get a chance. 

Another one.  A couple years ago Cher was doing her Facelift tour and my wife really wanted to go.  I did not and she was not good imo.  She would sing a song and leave to change clothes and they would show a Sonny and Cher video from the 70's. 
Really slow and choppy.   She sang the 80's stuff not the 70's stuff which was better.  The reason I was glad we went was the opening act turned out to be Cyndi Lauper and she was great.  Much better than Cher. 

1 minute ago, Bill E. said:

We bought Chicago tickets about a year ago because friends were going.  They covided and friends got a refund. I was too lazy and did not do anything so there were still good.  So about a month ago my wife said it was rescheduled for that night and I did not want to go and said lets just skip it.  She dragged me and they were really great.  Not just good but great.  Go see them if you get a chance. 

Was this with or without Peter Cetera?  I don't mind their earlier stuff, but I'll pass on the sappy ballad songs from the Cetera era. 

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

Was this with or without Peter Cetera?  I don't mind their earlier stuff, but I'll pass on the sappy ballad songs from the Cetera era. 

Without.  They had two leads.  One for the Cetera stuff and one for the more upbeat stuff but both did great.  I was never a big fan of any of their music.  All of it was just OK imo,  but they put on a great show.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DonS said:

He was there from the beginning, but yeah seemed to have sang the bulk of their stuff mid to late 80's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cetera#Tenure_in_Chicago

Reba McIntyre over 20 years ago. Wife was a big fan I didn’t know any of the songs but damn it was like a Broadway show. Multiple costume changes - ton of set changes. If you didn’t know the songs, like me, it was literally acted out right in front of you. 

15 hours ago, DonS said:

Wow...same boat here. Was coerced into going to see Neil Diamond with my now ex wife (36c) and in-laws. Was dreading it. Turned out to be a fantastic show  & had a great time.

Dixie Chicks...  I knew a couple of songs, but not being a country fan I really had no interest in going, but the wife loves them...

Actually wasn't that bad of a concert...  Michelle Branch opened for them and she was pretty good as well...

18 hours ago, Bill E. said:

Another one.  A couple years ago Cher was doing her Facelift tour and my wife really wanted to go.  I did not and she was not good imo.  She would sing a song and leave to change clothes and they would show a Sonny and Cher video from the 70's. 
Really slow and choppy.   She sang the 80's stuff not the 70's stuff which was better.  The reason I was glad we went was the opening act turned out to be Cyndi Lauper and she was great.  Much better than Cher. 

I was going to say Cindy Lauper. She did all her songs Zydeco style. Very fun show. 

Three Dog Night. Dad wanted to go watch them so I went with him. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would