Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Undergraduate enrollment fell 6.6% from fall 2019

Rink

Overall, enrollment in undergraduate and graduate programs has been trending downward since around 2012, but the pandemic turbocharged the declines at the undergrad level.

I love it that kids are starting to wise up to the corrupt university system and avoiding it.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

Rink

I love it that kids are starting to wise up to the corrupt university system and avoiding it.

Yeah. It's an interesting article. I'm not sure I'm buying the reason for the decline mentioned in the article (higher wages for low end jobs for instance) and it's difficult for HS graduates to give up that money. Besides, inflation is wiping that out anyway. HS grads always looked forward to the college experience and getting away from home. Most didn't even think of money being tempting over going and having a good time and figuring out what you want to do in life. I wonder if they included trade schools into this. That's the way to go. Learn what you need to know and master a set of skills that will get you good work and save your money. 

And besides trade schools I thought that HS grads should go to community college for the first year or two and get their base classes out of the way while figuring out what you want to do. Unless you already have a calling at age 17.

But we all know that universities have gone to shlt these days and are outrageously priced. So overall, this is good to see for sure.

It has been hard to rationalize the high cost of college pre-covid (due to disproportionate cost to salaries once out), but it is even more perplexing when the kids have remote learning.

The local community college here has a waiting list for a lot of classes.  Many parents are guiding their children to start there and figure it out then go where you want. Two of my friends did this, kids went on to traditional colleges and had no issues. And they saved a good amount of money. One of them bought his kid a used car when he agreed to do it. Good deal.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The local community college here has a waiting list for a lot of classes.  Many parents are guiding their children to start there and figure it out then go where you want. Two of my friends did this, kids went on to traditional colleges and had no issues. And they saved a good amount of money. One of them bought his kid a used car when he agreed to do it. Good deal.  

That's what I tell kids who are going to college. Focking go to the CC and finish at a university if you want. Or better yet become an electrician and make millions.

23 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

That's what I tell kids who are going to college. Focking go to the CC and finish at a university if you want. Or better yet become an electrician and make millions.

My nephew went straight to an automotive repair school right out of high school. He got a good paying job right away and a couple years later the owner opened another garage and my nephew is now running it. Dude is set on his path to success.

11 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

My nephew went straight to an automotive repair school right out of high school. He got a good paying job right away and a couple years later the owner opened another garage and my nephew is now running it. Dude is set on his path to success.

Poor guy doesn't he know he's supposed to borrow over 100k and be in debt the rest of his life in order to be happy? He totally missed out on college life. Instead of banging chicks in a 6x8 ft room he pays 2k a month for and shares with a weirdo. He has to take chicks back to his one bedroom apartment he lives in alone. How embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Poor guy doesn't he know he's supposed to borrow over 100k and be in debt the rest of his life in order to be happy? He totally missed out on college life. Instead of banging chicks in a 6x8 ft room he pays 2k a month for and shares with a weirdo. He has to take chicks back to his one bedroom apartment he lives in alone. How embarrassing.

:lol:

Unfortunately, that's a closer description to what one of my nieces did. Borrowed her way through 4 years at an expensive private college to get a degree in teaching that she could have gotten at any state school. I am not sure of the tuition she paid at the time she went there, but it is well over $100,000 for the 4 years I know for sure. Today the school is 52k a year to attend. 

My daughter is making big money and took the last 18 months off because she hated online classes.  She is scheduled back in the fall.  She won't have any loans and a nursing degree!!

My eldest decided to pursue nursing, which as it turns out is a pretty nice financial return for her.  She was recruited to play lacrosse and soccer by over 30 schools, but there really isnt that much financial reward in sports, far more in academics. Luckily she was an IB student and had access to the academic money, but still decided to stay in state to lower costs, and was able to play for a DIII national contender, which made her happy....it all worked out well, but I feel luck too that she was pragmatic about it all.

The middle one decided to go to the Naval Academy, getting an Ivy League education; I want thank my fellow geek taxpayers for taking care of this one for me 😍

The last one will very likely be in trade school of some kind.  

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I started at a community college and I recommend it to all kids who don't know what they want to do yet.  No sense in getting a huge student loan when you don't know what you want to do.  I'm hoping this is the start of a big trend of students attending trade schools instead of Universities. 

7 hours ago, RLLD said:

Rink

No, this can't be right.  I was told by COVID people that people are going back to work because they went back to school.  The numbers for enrollment MUST be up.

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

My eldest decided to pursue nursing, which as it turns out is a pretty nice financial return for her.  She was recruited to play lacrosse and soccer by over 30 schools, but there really isnt that much financial reward in sports, far more in academics. Luckily she was an IB student and had access to the academic money, but still decided to stay in state to lower costs, and was able to play for a DIII national contender, which made her happy....it all worked out well, but I feel luck too that she was pragmatic about it all.

The middle one decided to go to the Naval Academy, getting an Ivy League education; I want thank my fellow geek taxpayers for taking care of this one for me 😍

The last one will very likely be in trade school of some kind.  

If you screw up at the Naval Academy and get kicked out, you have to pay for all the tuition for the years you were there correct?

3 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

My daughter is making big money and took the last 18 months off because she hated online classes.  She is scheduled back in the fall.  She won't have any loans and a nursing degree!!

What’s her onlyfans link?

42 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If you screw up at the Naval Academy and get kicked out, you have to pay for all the tuition for the years you were there correct?

No, not until you’re a junior

42 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Well, in reality you have up until the end of your sophomore year if things go awry.  You can actually leave the academy on your own, or be removed, without financial consequence.  But, once you get into that third (junior) year you are locked in, make your service selection, and THEN if things ho awry you end up paying the government back. And it is not inexpensive.  The cost is about 100k per year per student there....

Its a grind too, kids leave every month because they just cant handle it.

36 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Well, in reality you have up until the end of your sophomore year if things go awry.  You can actually leave the academy on your own, or be removed, without financial consequence.  But, once you get into that third (junior) year you are locked in, make your service selection, and THEN if things ho awry you end up paying the government back. And it is not inexpensive.  The cost is about 100k per year per student there....

Its a grind too, kids leave every month because they just cant handle it.

Ok. I lived for a few years right across from gate 3. I think the street name was Hanover if I recall correctly. I remember one time hanging out with a few guys from the academy drinking some beers and they brought up a senior who got booted for sneaking out over the wall or something. They were astounded that the dude took that risk having been so close to graduating. And having to pay it all back.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Ok. I lived for a few years right across from gate 3. I think the street name was Hanover if I recall correctly. I remember one time hanging out with a few guys from the academy drinking some beers and they brought up a senior who got booted for sneaking out over the wall or something. They were astounded that the dude took that risk having been so close to graduating. And having to pay it all back.

Yeah, many things can get you. If you lie and get caught, you will go before the honor board and could get booted, and it could be over just anything....  then you have the academic stuff, fail a class and you go before another review board and could get booted....on and on.

Is a tough place to go to school to be sure. 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

No, this can't be right.  I was told by COVID people that people are going back to work because they went back to school.  The numbers for enrollment MUST be up.

Lol, that doesn’t mean that didn’t happen. Some people leaving their restaurant jobs isn’t going to make up for an entire graduating class not wanting to go to virtual college.