Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Question for truck people

Recommended Posts

I'm considering a truck for the first time in my life, but I have one ignorant question:  how do you protect valuables you want to store?  The question came up regarding golf clubs: I mentioned to my wife last week that I might go out to eat after golfing, and she said "so if you get a truck, what do you do with the clubs while you are at a restaurant?" Good question, to me anyway.

I see some trucks with bed covers, I guess that is the obvious answer, but it seems like most trucks I see don't have one.  Or throw them in the back seat?

TIA.  :cheers:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I'm considering a truck for the first time in my life, but I have one ignorant question:  how do you protect valuables you want to store?  The question came up regarding golf clubs: I mentioned to my wife last week that I might go out to eat after golfing, and she said "so if you get a truck, what do you do with the clubs while you are at a restaurant?" Good question, to me anyway.

I see some trucks with bed covers, I guess that is the obvious answer, but it seems like most trucks I see don't have one.  Or throw them in the back seat?

TIA.  :cheers:

 

You can get an extended cab with a back seat.  Have you considered an SUV?  Put the seats down and you have plenty of room in the back.  Kind of the best of both worlds unless you're a contractor and need more height than you can get in an SUV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Backseat or bedcover is the answer. Bedcovers are very popular. 

You're probably going to want a bed cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other good thing about a bed cover is for some reason, every arsehole in town sees an uncovered truck bed and thinks "Dumpster".  Pop cans, cigarette wrappers, etc..  PITA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I'm considering a truck for the first time in my life, but I have one ignorant question:  how do you protect valuables you want to store?  The question came up regarding golf clubs: I mentioned to my wife last week that I might go out to eat after golfing, and she said "so if you get a truck, what do you do with the clubs while you are at a restaurant?" Good question, to me anyway.

I see some trucks with bed covers, I guess that is the obvious answer, but it seems like most trucks I see don't have one.  Or throw them in the back seat?

TIA.  :cheers:

 

I’m on my 3rd Avalanche for this reason.  100% dry and locked with a remote.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I’m on my 3rd Avalanche for this reason.  100% dry and locked with a remote.  

Didn't they stop making those like 9 years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backseat or have a cover that locks like I do. Haven’t really had any problems with theft when it comes to my truck :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just have your wife drive them over to the golf course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strike said:

You can get an extended cab with a back seat.  Have you considered an SUV?  Put the seats down and you have plenty of room in the back.  Kind of the best of both worlds unless you're a contractor and need more height than you can get in an SUV. 

Thanks.  It's actually kinda hard to buy a truck WITHOUT a back seat these days.  As for alternatives, I'm looking to accomplish up to three things:  (1) 4 wheel drive, (2) towing of a camper, and (3) haul stuff to the dump, goodwill, etc.  We already have an Explorer that we like (wife's car), but it isn't 4WD and doesn't have a towing package.  I could get an SUV to do the first two, but I need to decide how much hauling I will be doing.  Right now I have a good amount to do because of the new house, but that is temporary and I could rent something for that.  But there is ongoing debris, plus my son owns a house which can use some debris maintenance as well.  

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Thanks, these are the kinds of alternatives I was looking for.  That being said I'm leaning to the cover approach if I find one I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bed Cover. Truck looks better with one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  It's actually kinda hard to buy a truck WITHOUT a back seat these days.  As for alternatives, I'm looking to accomplish up to three things:  (1) 4 wheel drive, (2) towing of a camper, and (3) haul stuff to the dump, goodwill, etc.  We already have an Explorer that we like (wife's car), but it isn't 4WD and doesn't have a towing package.  I could get an SUV to do the first two, but I need to decide how much hauling I will be doing.  Right now I have a good amount to do because of the new house, but that is temporary and I could rent something for that.  But there is ongoing debris, plus my son owns a house which can use some debris maintenance as well.  

Thanks, these are the kinds of alternatives I was looking for.  That being said I'm leaning to the cover approach if I find one I like.

I have a 4runner.  It's 4WD with a tow package.  I got the tow package in case I ever wanted to tow my car to the race track.  That hasn't happened yet but here is a link listing tow capacities for various versions of the 4runner.  Looks like it's pretty much 5000 pounds regardless.  I'm a big 4runner fan.

https://www.carindigo.com/toyota/4runner/towing-capacity

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I'm considering a truck for the first time in my life, but I have one ignorant question:  how do you protect valuables you want to store?  The question came up regarding golf clubs: I mentioned to my wife last week that I might go out to eat after golfing, and she said "so if you get a truck, what do you do with the clubs while you are at a restaurant?" Good question, to me anyway.

I see some trucks with bed covers, I guess that is the obvious answer, but it seems like most trucks I see don't have one.  Or throw them in the back seat?

TIA.  :cheers:

 

from what i can tell, they just keep a doberman or pit bull in the truck bed with all their stuff.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My golf clubs ride shotgun in the cab with me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Honda Ridgeline has a lockable watertight trunk space under the bed that'll comfortably fit a set of golf clubs....or whatever.

I disagree with Cdub, most bed covers (especially soft ones) look like crap.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strike said:

I have a 4runner.  It's 4WD with a tow package.  I got the tow package in case I ever wanted to tow my car to the race track.  That hasn't happened yet but here is a link listing tow capacities for various versions of the 4runner.  Looks like it's pretty much 5000 pounds regardless.  I'm a big 4runner fan.

https://www.carindigo.com/toyota/4runner/towing-capacity

 

Thanks.  Towing is another question:  I'd be getting it in anticipation of pulling a camper which we don't currently have.  I'd rent some at first, maybe forever unless we really use it a lot (I once was given the sage advice "rent your toys" which has served me well generally).  Basically I'd like something to tow maybe 2-3 times per year tops.  

My wife has access to employee pricing for Ford and GM, so we'd probably stick with those unless there was a compelling argument otherwise.  I'd be exchanging a Lexus (Toyota obviously) sedan for it and let's just say that vehicle wasn't popular with her side of the family.  :D

Another benefit of the SUV is size.  The Explorer is 199 inches long; midsized trucks are in the 210-ish inch range, and my garage is only 238 inches total.  The new shorter Ford Maverick is 199 inches but interestingly doesn't seem to tow as much as the Explorer.  :dunno:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BufordT said:

The Honda Ridgeline has a lockable watertight trunk space under the bed that'll comfortably fit a set of golf clubs....or whatever.

I disagree with Cdub, most bed covers (especially soft ones) look like crap.

Thanks, this is interesting, I'll look for this feature in my search.  :cheers: 

ETA:  Regarding covers, I'm a little concerned about such things lasting in the Phoenix sun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  Towing is another question:  I'd be getting it in anticipation of pulling a camper which we don't currently have.  I'd rent some at first, maybe forever unless we really use it a lot (I once was given the sage advice "rent your toys" which has served me well generally).  Basically I'd like something to tow maybe 2-3 times per year tops.  

My wife has access to employee pricing for Ford and GM, so we'd probably stick with those unless there was a compelling argument otherwise.  I'd be exchanging a Lexus (Toyota obviously) sedan for it and let's just say that vehicle wasn't popular with her side of the family.  :D

Another benefit of the SUV is size.  The Explorer is 199 inches long; midsized trucks are in the 210-ish inch range, and my garage is only 238 inches total.  The new shorter Ford Maverick is 199 inches but interestingly doesn't seem to tow as much as the Explorer.  :dunno:

 

Seems like the 4WD Explorer may be your answer.  You're already familiar with it, and presumably like it, and it's a Ford.  It also seems to have the highest towing capacity of any SUV in it's class.  Here is a link that goes through this and what types of campers it should be able to tow:

https://camperguide.org/ford-explorer-towing-capacity/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Seems like the 4WD Explorer may be your answer.  You're already familiar with it, and presumably like it, and it's a Ford.  It also seems to have the highest towing capacity of any SUV in it's class.  Here is a link that goes through this and what types of campers it should be able to tow:

https://camperguide.org/ford-explorer-towing-capacity/

I've actually had this thought but my wife is somewhat against the idea of "his and hers" cars.  She is OK with the same make (e.g., a Ford truck or other vehicle) but not matchy matchy Explorers.  But I am familiar with it and do like it.

An interesting option may be the Lincoln Aviator; it can haul up to 6700 lbs.  I had a 2012 MKZ (still do technically, my daughter drives it) which I loved.  Kinda pricey though, a lot to spend on a guy with cancer...

https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/best-suvs-for-towing/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A hard Tonneau cover is your best bet. It's lockable and leaves plenty of room for golf clubs, luggage, etc. While at the same time making the truck obsolete for hauling large things like appliances and furniture so you have an out when somebody inevitably asks you to help them move. Which they will, they always do. You can always remove it if you want/need to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  It's actually kinda hard to buy a truck WITHOUT a back seat these days.  As for alternatives, I'm looking to accomplish up to three things:  (1) 4 wheel drive, (2) towing of a camper, and (3) haul stuff to the dump, goodwill, etc.  We already have an Explorer that we like (wife's car), but it isn't 4WD and doesn't have a towing package.  I could get an SUV to do the first two, but I need to decide how much hauling I will be doing.  Right now I have a good amount to do because of the new house, but that is temporary and I could rent something for that.  But there is ongoing debris, plus my son owns a house which can use some debris maintenance as well.  

Thanks, these are the kinds of alternatives I was looking for.  That being said I'm leaning to the cover approach if I find one I like.

 

i stopped and quoted this post so forgive me if I repeat some answers you've already had. Growing up my father and grandfather owned a fresh water fishing boat and we took 2 fishing trips per year up to canada. They towed the boat every year with one of their Explorers. I remember my grandfather had an eddie bauer edition (I inherited it), my dad just had a regular with a towing package. 

As my grandfather ended up on Dialysis, they bought a mini van so my grandmother had headroom to administer dialysis when we were at rest stops and such. So even that mini van had to capability to tow our boat. Not a huge boat but it seated 4, engine and backup motor, trolling motor and was always loaded with whatever wouldn't fit in the trunk. 

Basically, I would suggest a nice explorer with a towing package....you can attach a trailer for the things you're looking to haul and should have no issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I have owned both the backflip and the retrax and I like the backflip better.

The problem is the storage box for the retrax takes up too much space.

 

However, I agree with you. Some cover is essential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a full-sized, four-door truck like a man and put whatever stuff I need to put behind a locked door 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get a Truck get a real truck, a Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, or maybe Ram 1500.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gepetto said:

If you get a Truck get a real truck, a Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, or maybe Ram 1500.  

I would totally get a full sized truck but it won't fit in my garage.  Even the mid-sizes are tight tho and I'm beginning to rethink how important it is.  Our new neighborhood has a lot of smaller garages AND no HOA so a lot of larger vehicles get permanently parked outside of it.  Neighbor across the street has a 30 ft camper in their driveway (covered, not an eyesore).  Heck, both of our current vehicles have been parked in our driveway since August as we are still clearing stuff out of the garage from our move.

The main issue is heat in the summer, but there is a little tree coverage and our driveway is blocked from the afternoon sun so maybe I'll make that a more permanent solution.  Although that would take the space for an eventual travel trailer, if we ever got one of our own.  :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mechanic recommends The Toyota Tundra.

HTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd  recommend a 2022 Ford F350 Diesel Crewcab,  but that may be a bit overkill for a metrosexual like jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I'd  recommend a 2022 Ford F350 Diesel Crewcab,  but that may be a bit overkill for a metrosexual like jerry.

Can I stow my murse inside of it?  😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Can I stow my murse inside of it?  😘

You'd never even know it's there.   :bench:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Can I stow my murse inside of it?  😘

Only when you're wearing Jorts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...no it does not make your peemus bigger, however you may wanna kiss mom or dad on the lips

If your not using it for work...your that guy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2022 at 11:52 PM, Pimpadeaux said:

I have a full-sized, four-door truck like a man and put whatever stuff I need to put behind a locked door 

Exactly. Heres mine…

https://images.app.goo.gl/A9r44NzHDS3pJzV89
 

Trucks are so nice to haul crap in, good in snow….some of us just arent basic arse Camry drivers. (Shrug)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Exactly. Heres mine…

https://images.app.goo.gl/A9r44NzHDS3pJzV89
 

Trucks are so nice to haul crap in, good in snow….some of us just arent basic arse Camry drivers. (Shrug)

It’s so small. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×