Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Question for truck people

31 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s so small. 

Lol… Hell I’m getting close to 50 if it gets any bigger than it is just relaxing I’m going to count it as a win

Hey @jerryskids.  Not sure if this one has been discussed but Ford is coming out with a new, somewhat compact, affordable truck called the Maverick. 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-pros-cons-review/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-towing-hauling/

With the optional higher end tow package towing capacity is about 4k.  Not sure your timeframe.  I know these are sold out for this model year so not the easiest to come by.

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Im satisfied with my peemus size..I dont need a truck

What about your SO? 

12 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

She has 2 pickups and a hummer.

😭

If you're nice maybe she'll give you the hummer......

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Hey @jerryskids.  Not sure if this one has been discussed but Ford is coming out with a new, somewhat compact, affordable truck called the Maverick. 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-pros-cons-review/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-towing-hauling/

With the optional higher end tow package towing capacity is about 4k.  Not sure your timeframe.  I know these are sold out for this model year so not the easiest to come by.

Thanks, yeah, I've seen that, in fact I'd say that is on my short list.  There was a little bit of inventory but not much.  I really need to go look at one.  :cheers:

It would not be fun to tow a camper with a maverick. I like the truck, but if you really want to tow a camper more than once you need at least a Ford explorer and probably the ranger.

There are non-ford SUV's that people really like for towing as well. 

There is a local fishing guide/mobile boat mechanic that uses an x-5 as his tow vehicle and raves about it. Although that is on the costlier side.

4 hours ago, Strike said:

What about your SO? 

He's happy with his peemus size too.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

It would not be fun to tow a camper with a maverick. I like the truck, but if you really want to tow a camper more than once you need at least a Ford explorer and probably the ranger.

There are non-ford SUV's that people really like for towing as well. 

There is a local fishing guide/mobile boat mechanic that uses an x-5 as his tow vehicle and raves about it. Although that is on the costlier side.

Thanks.  I'm resetting what I'm looking for since there is no unicorn of trucks for my needs.  The three key capabilities to me are towing, hauling, and 4 wheel.  My wife has pointed out that towing is a theoretical need for us -- we don't have a camper, we've never towed one, and by the way she'd rather stay at an AirBnB or VRBO and drive to do the hiking we want to do.  4-wheel is another theoretical but more likely.  The most needed feature would be the bed for hauling, but the Maverick bed isn't exactly huge.

I may just say F it and get a Mustang Mach-E.  :cheers: 

26 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  I'm resetting what I'm looking for since there is no unicorn of trucks for my needs.  The three key capabilities to me are towing, hauling, and 4 wheel.  My wife has pointed out that towing is a theoretical need for us -- we don't have a camper, we've never towed one, and by the way she'd rather stay at an AirBnB or VRBO and drive to do the hiking we want to do.  4-wheel is another theoretical but more likely.  The most needed feature would be the bed for hauling, but the Maverick bed isn't exactly huge.

I may just say F it and get a Mustang Mach-E.  :cheers: 

If you are not going to tow the maverick would be a great vehicle, but they closed orders on Thursday.

But that opens a ton of options.

I have one of the below carriers and I have used it even with the ram. It helped during my 3 week stays in El Paso. I could easily carry alot of crap across the state.

When I had my wrx we used it on my wife's Honda pilot to haul stuff like sod, plants, and our real Christmas tree. It is incredibly light and convenient and then you are not locked into buying a truck.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586584_200586584?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Automotive > Cargo Carriers %2B Ladder Racks > Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers&utm_campaign=Ultra-Tow&utm_content=28679&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi9mPBhCJARIsAHchl1wwESIFKI2T8gW6Pe7ual59S4xbaTANBPPTi4MhPCnWehoE9e0w0L8aAk-1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My guess is the folks saying you have no peemus because you drive a truck are probably driving around a 4 door Sonata or some other POS thats as uninteresting as those who drive them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

If you are not going to tow the maverick would be a great vehicle, but they closed orders on Thursday.

But that opens a ton of options.

I have one of the below carriers and I have used it even with the ram. It helped during my 3 week stays in El Paso. I could easily carry alot of crap across the state.

When I had my wrx we used it on my wife's Honda pilot to haul stuff like sod, plants, and our real Christmas tree. It is incredibly light and convenient and then you are not locked into buying a truck.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586584_200586584?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Automotive > Cargo Carriers %2B Ladder Racks > Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers&utm_campaign=Ultra-Tow&utm_content=28679&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi9mPBhCJARIsAHchl1wwESIFKI2T8gW6Pe7ual59S4xbaTANBPPTi4MhPCnWehoE9e0w0L8aAk-1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks, our neighbor has something like that which they use to drive to/from their second place in Oregon (that's not a short drive!), they look really useful.  For me though, hauling would mostly be taking some old furniture (hopefully not a long-term need, could rent) and yard waste a few times per year.  Plus I have 3 kids here, one owns a house, another just graduated and would like to buy one if prices weren't so crazy but will likely be moving either way this year.  The third will also move a few times in the coming years.  Basically we have enough people and residences that it wouldn't hurt our family to have a truck available.

There are a few Mavericks showing in inventory.  If I don't want to tow or 4WD, this one is a hybrid which is tricked out well:

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/maverick/details/3FTTW8E38NRA01174?fromPopularBuild=false&zipcode=85044&year=2022&ownerPACode=07488&Radius=50&modeltrim=Maverick_F26-LARIAT&Order=HighPrice

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks, our neighbor has something like that which they use to drive to/from their second place in Oregon (that's not a short drive!), they look really useful.  For me though, hauling would mostly be taking some old furniture (hopefully not a long-term need, could rent) and yard waste a few times per year.  Plus I have 3 kids here, one owns a house, another just graduated and would like to buy one if prices weren't so crazy but will likely be moving either way this year.  The third will also move a few times in the coming years.  Basically we have enough people and residences that it wouldn't hurt our family to have a truck available.

There are a few Mavericks showing in inventory.  If I don't want to tow or 4WD, this one is a hybrid which is tricked out well:

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/maverick/details/3FTTW8E38NRA01174?fromPopularBuild=false&zipcode=85044&year=2022&ownerPACode=07488&Radius=50&modeltrim=Maverick_F26-LARIAT&Order=HighPrice

I think the Maverick is a great vehicle, my brother is also shopping for a new vehicle and I have spent the last couple months trying to convince him to get one. It sounds like it would be a great vehicle for your needs as well.

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I think the Maverick is a great vehicle, my brother is also shopping for a new vehicle and I have spent the last couple months trying to convince him to get one. It sounds like it would be a great vehicle for your needs as well.

Thanks. BTW I'm sure I've said this but regarding ordering vs. inventory -- because I can get vehicles on the Ford employee plan I need to get existing inventory; I can't order.  I don't think.  I'm 99% sure, unless things have changed recently.  I also think they make it a win for the dealerships (they get paid by Ford Corp. for the savings I'd get).  Given the lack of inventory in general and the prices they are getting, I'm a little less sure about this one.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:15 AM, jerryskids said:

Thanks. BTW I'm sure I've said this but regarding ordering vs. inventory -- because I can get vehicles on the Ford employee plan I need to get existing inventory; I can't order.  I don't think.  I'm 99% sure, unless things have changed recently.  I also think they make it a win for the dealerships (they get paid by Ford Corp. for the savings I'd get).  Given the lack of inventory in general and the prices they are getting, I'm a little less sure about this one.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44188/ford-maverick-outsold-the-ranger-and-toyota-tundra-in-january?utm_source=digg

• Thanks 1