Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Raiders at Bengals: Wildcard Discussion

Inactives

Raiders: CB Amik Robertson, LB Patrick Onwuasor, DE Malcolm Koonce, G Jordan Simmons, T Jackson Barton, TE Nick Bowers, DT Kendal Vickers

Bengals: WR Trenton Irwin, WR Stanley Morgan, CB Jalen Davis, DT Josh Tupou, OL Fred Johnson, DE Wyatt Ray, DT Tyler Shelvin

Jerome Boger reffing the game. Let the flags fly. 

Boger’s crew screws up again. The TD should not have counted, the whistle was blown. The worst ref around and they keep shoving him down our throats. 

18 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Boger’s crew screws up again. The TD should not have counted, the whistle was blown. The worst ref around and they keep shoving him down our throats. 

That was a TD whether they blew the whistle or not.  It was the right call because it had no impact on the play.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

That was a TD whether they blew the whistle or not.  It was the right call because it had no impact on the play.

It was NOT the right call, because the rules of the game dictate that the play should have been a do-over, and the officials are supposed to uphold the rules of the game.

That said, the Bengals probly woulda scored a TD eventually anyway--but it should not have been on that play.

Just now, AxeElf said:

It was NOT the right call, because the rules of the game dictate that the play should have been a do-over, and the officials are supposed to uphold the rules of the game.

That said, the Bengals probly woulda scored a TD eventually anyway--but it should not have been on that play.

The whistle had no impact on the play.  The role of the refs is to not impact the game.  They made the right call.

The whistle had no impact on the play.  The role of the refs is to not impact the game.  They made the right call.

No, the role of the refs is to enforce the rules of the game, not to decide if they think a rule should be enforced or not.

There are rules that determine what happens when an inadvertent whistle is blown.  Those rules should have been enforced, and were not.

Just now, AxeElf said:

No, the role of the refs is to enforce the rules of the game, not to decide if they think a rule should be enforced or not.

There are rules that determine what happens when an inadvertent whistle is blown.  Those rules should have been enforced, and were not.

Agree to disagree.  The inadvertent whistle had NO IMPACT on the result of the play.  There's no reason to discount the play.  The missed push off by Chase was WAY more of a boner by the refs.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You are wrong my friend. Come on back after the NFL apologizes.  

Agree to disagree.  The inadvertent whistle had NO IMPACT on the result of the play.  There's no reason to discount the play.  The missed push off by Chase was WAY more of a boner by the refs.

That’s not the rule.  The whistle ends the play. Period, no judgement call. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You are wrong my friend. Come on back after the NFL apologizes.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s not the rule.  The whistle ends the play. Period, no judgement call. 

The NFL probably will apologize.  It doesn't change the fact that the result on the field was right.  The whistle had no impact on the play, hence, the TD should count.  It did, hence, they got it right.

I haven’t been watching of course , why do so, but based on the score. The nfl fix is on for the bengals to win this game, or maybe I just have a bet on the Raiders money line.  

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The NFL probably will apologize.  It doesn't change the fact that the result on the field was right.  The whistle had no impact on the play, hence, the TD should count.  It did, hence, they got it right.

Yeah, the rule book is more of a suggestion. 

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It doesn’t matter whether the whistle had an effect on the play, the rule s what it is. It’s not a grey area issue. It doesn’t matter that it would’ve been a screw up. Not that hard, for some…

Why didn’t the booth upstairs/ “New York” reverse that one? They reversed a catch that was ruled on the field incomplete later…

2 minutes ago, nospk said:

Why didn’t the booth upstairs/ “New York” reverse that one? They reversed a catch that was ruled on the field incomplete later…

They have protected refs, and specifically Boger in the past.  They had to review all his downgrades one year and reverse them so he could do the Super Bowl.  That isn’t something that ever happens. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agree to disagree. 

It's kind of like disagreeing that a player who takes three steps without a dribble during a basketball game has committed traveling, but if that's the position you want to defend, go for it.

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Jerome Boger reffing the game. Let the flags fly. 

This guy knows stuff 

The first error was the ref blowing the whistle early.  Bengals deserved the touchdown and got it so good with me.  Errors/Mistakes happen, stop being so strict, bunch of nazis.

10 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

The first error was the ref blowing the whistle early.  Bengals deserved the touchdown and got it so good with me.  Errors/Mistakes happen, stop being so strict, bunch of nazis.

Why did they blow the whistle? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why did they blow the whistle? 

You should ask whoever blew the whistle.

That was a bs call.  And I lost my money line bet.  That was also bs.  

31 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

If they called off the touchdown you'd all be complaining about that instead.

I’m complaining about bad officiating. This was bad officiating. Disagree? 

42 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

The first error was the ref blowing the whistle early.

That is correct, and the rules state that when this error is made, the play is dead.  Period.  Do over.

And it HAS to be that way, or you'd have players playing on past a whistle just in case a ref makes a judgment call that a play should still be live even after he blew the whistle.  That just wouldn't be safe in any sense.  A whistle has to mean STOP and nothing but STOP, ever.

The second error was not enforcing the rule concerning an inadvertent whistle.  That put player safety at risk.

38 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

If they called off the touchdown you'd all be complaining about that instead.

Not if you believe that a rule, regardless of whether it is a “good” rule needs to be enforced as written.

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m complaining about bad officiating. This was bad officiating. Disagree? 

I agree.

14 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That is correct, and the rules state that when this error is made, the play is dead.  Period.  Do over.

And it HAS to be that way, or you'd have players playing on past a whistle just in case a ref makes a judgment call that a play should still be live even after he blew the whistle.  That just wouldn't be safe in any sense.  A whistle has to mean STOP and nothing but STOP, ever.

The second error was not enforcing the rule concerning an inadvertent whistle.  That put player safety at risk.

I agree with you.  I'm just happy the Bengals got the touchdown regardless of the officiating errors on that particular play.

I’m wondering if he blew the whistle because he thought Burrow was over the line, seeing as he wasn’t close to being out of bounds. 

I actually kind of thought Burrow's foot was almost out of bounds when he released the ball.  

even if it wasnt, the whistle was erroneous.    (so they say)

15 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Exactly. Players keep playing long after the whistle first blows all the time. To penalize Burrow and the Bengals for a great play would have been the worst call.

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m wondering if he blew the whistle because he thought Burrow was over the line, seeing as he wasn’t close to being out of bounds. 

That would be my guess.

Then shouldn’t that have been reviewed? Look, the best team won. But this fockery with the refs is out of control. It’s worse that it’s ever been and Boger is the king of the worst. The NFL covers for this guy. And we all know why. 

37 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Players keep playing long after the whistle first blows all the time.

That might be the case, but if the Refs are doing their jobs they discount anything a player does AFTER the whistle has blown. Whistle= play is dead.

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's kind of like disagreeing that a player who takes three steps without a dribble during a basketball game has committed traveling, but if that's the position you want to defend, go for it.

No it's not because in that situation, the players broke the rules.  Nice try though.

42 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Exactly. Players keep playing long after the whistle first blows all the time. To penalize Burrow and the Bengals for a great play would have been the worst call.

Yup.