Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Pawn Shops

How often do you guys go in one? Either to sell, pawn, or browse. Seems like a place many of you would browse to find a good deal

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

I've never been in one.

Went in one today curious to see their gun selection and was surprised at the actual good stuff in there. 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Went in one today curious to see their gun selection and was surprised at the actual good stuff in there. 

they have lots of good stolen stuff. once they buy it they have right to it.

i was in a couple not too long ago looking for my stolen merchandise.

I’m not poor and five minutes from the blood leaving my wrists so no I’ve never been in one.

Browsed at a Pawn America when it opened in my town about 5 years ago. Never had a desire to visit a 2nd time.

I used to frequent them when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Would pawn my cassettes and then CD’s for a quick 40 bucks near payday when we were all broke, for some drinking money.  Always got them back.   Beat going to the loan shark in my company who gave you 20 for 40. 

I don't know where one draws the line at "pawn shop" but we just bought my daughter a nice ring as a college graduation present from an estate jeweler in Scottsdale.

The Estate Watch and Jewelry Company

About 80% of their merchandise is used/estate, but you'd never know it.  Looks like an upscale Scottsdale jewelry store inside and out.  I actually have lost errrr..... misplaced my wedding ring after 28+ years and I'm thinking of going there to replace it.

As for what I would consider a more traditional pawn shop, the only time I recall having been in one was in Vero Beach about 3 years ago when we needed to ship a firearm back to Phoenix and they handled the logistics.  I'd say they had a nice selection of guns had I been in the market.  The other stuff didn't leap out at me; it seemed like it was mostly a gun store.  While we were there a woman came back to get her engagement ring (I think), and I thought it was very sad that she needed the money short-term enough to pawn it.  What happens if somebody comes in and buys it?  I guess yer screwed.  :( 

43 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I hope you bathed in hand sanitizer after.  Going into a pawn shop during Covid seems to me like going to a mosquito farm at the peak of the AIDS epidemic.

8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I hope you bathed in hand sanitizer after.  Going into a pawn shop during Covid seems to me like going to a mosquito farm at the peak of the AIDS epidemic.

He's vaccinated, so it's all good.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

It was actually pretty dead but they had a good bit of stuff in there I was eyeing. Particularly the power tools and different tools for the yard. Would’ve loved to got a ladder from there instead of spending $300 for the one we just bought a month ago. Might have to start checking them out more. Especially here in Charleston. They got some luxury items as well 

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I bought a nice telephoto lens for my camera dirt cheap a few years ago.  

What do you take pictures of?  You should start a spinoff thread and post some of your work.  In my mind's eye, there are always trailers in the background.  

Did Chumlee go to prison or get off?

10 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I bought a nice telephoto lens for my camera dirt cheap a few years ago.  

What is dirt cheap. I bought my wife a DSLR a few years ago but never got her any additional lenses as they are all pretty expensive, ie as much or more than the camera.

23 minutes ago, fandandy said:

What do you take pictures of?  You should start a spinoff thread and post some of your work.  In my mind's eye, there are always trailers in the background.  

Family...tons of photos of them playing soccer...etc...not a pressional.

Holidays...family get togethers..proms..homecoming

my daughter has been using it ti take kids senior pictures.  

19 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

What is dirt cheap. I bought my wife a DSLR a few years ago but never got her any additional lenses as they are all pretty expensive, ie as much or more than the camera.

60 percent...this was 10 yrs ago.. I have T3 dslr camera.i got the camera as a gift from wife...choked on lense prices...someone suggested pawn shops. ...most pawn shops are full of camera equp...first to go when they are chasing the dragon.

• Like 1

if you bought anything from a pawn shop chances are you got ripped off. 

8 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Family...tons of photos of them playing soccer...etc...not a pressional.

Holidays...family get togethers..proms..homecoming

my daughter has been using it ti take kids senior pictures.  

I joke and I think it is an awesome hobby.  I was a stay-at-home dad for two years when my daughter was 1-3.  I dabbled in photography but my camera of choice back in the day was a Canon 3.2 mp point and shoot.  I amazingly took some awesome shots of her with that thing though.  I don't know, it was something I really enjoyed but life happened and I let it fizzle.  I think it's great that you have that as a hobby.  I hope someday to pick it up again as well.

We have called hock shops here and basically a pawn shop where you buy and sale but no pawning. For some reason think PA. laws don't allow pawn shops. been awhile since I been in one and sold stuff when I wanted fast cash. They was cool to buy stuff as well but totally forgot about them since when covid first hit.