edjr

John Farrell (ex Red Soft manager) just tipped my girl $6 on his $34.20 lunch

Just now, Utilit99 said:

Depends. 

I've never met a bartender, waiter or waitress who's ever claimed 50% of their tips unless they work at a super high end place where they make over $1k a night over the weekend.

My norm is that as long as I get "good" service, I tip 20%.  If I get the bare minimum of service to slightly below, I give 15%.  If I get bad service, I give 10% or less.  I've gotten service so terrible once where I didn't even leave the full amount of the check.  One time 6 of us went out to dinner and our bill was $165.  The dude was such a crappy waiter, that we left $150.

5 hours ago, edjr said:

Red Sox probably still paying him., idiots

Also he went to a place that doesn't serve booze, but is BYOB

BYOB for lunch?  Half of the people here probably go there already.  :cheers: 

4 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I've set up a GOFUNDME to Right the Wrong!

That was awesome!  :lol:

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I've never met a bartender, waiter or waitress who's ever claimed 50% of their tips unless they work at a super high end place where they make over $1k a night over the weekend.

No matter how much they make they never claim how much they make. Bartending and waiters rarely claimed much cash tips if at all. Bartending gets way more cash tips though. Plus you can rip off the restaurant as bartender if someone is paying cash for their drinks by pretending to ring up the order and simply taking and keeping their cash. Even if there is a camera it's easy.

Not so much for waiting tables. If you are waiting tables and making $1000 a night in credit card tips, no chance are you claiming less than 75-85% or more of your credit card tips. You are ripe for audit. And your managers know this because they go through every credit transaction you had in a night every night as you check out before going home.

I've seen audits happen more than once.

And 99.9% of waiters in this country are not making anywhere near $1000 dollars a night in tips. Hell, they aren't making more than a couple hundred a night. And average is way than that. Then they have to tip out to busboys, bartenders, maybe runners....

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

My norm is that as long as I get "good" service, I tip 20%.  If I get the bare minimum of service to slightly below, I give 15%.  If I get bad service, I give 10% or less.  I've gotten service so terrible once where I didn't even leave the full amount of the check.  One time 6 of us went out to dinner and our bill was $165.  The dude was such a crappy waiter, that we left $150.

What was it you were saying about poor people edjr?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

No matter how much they make they never claim how much they make. Bartending and waiters rarely claimed much cash tips if at all. Bartending gets way more cash tips though. Plus you can rip off the restaurant as bartender if someone is paying cash for their drinks by pretending to ring up the order and simply taking and keeping their cash. Even if there is a camera it's easy.

Not so much for waiting tables. If you are waiting tables and making $1000 a night in credit card tips, no chance are you claiming less than 75-85% or more of your credit card tips. You are ripe for audit. And your managers know this because they go through every credit transaction you had in a night every night as you check out before going home.

I've seen audits happen more than once.

And 99.9% of waiters in this country are not making anywhere near $1000 dollars a night in tips. Hell, they aren't making more than a couple hundred a night. And average is way than that. Then they have to tip out to busboys, bartenders, maybe runners....

When I say $1k a night on the weekend, I'm talking about the high end places where two people will ring up a $150 tab.  One night, I went with a group of 20 people to a Ruth Chris steak house.  The price per person was over $150.  My cousin was paying the bill and left $4k in cash.  Just from the one table, that dude made $1k... in cash.  When we were leaving, I asked the guy if they often they bad big groups like this.  He told me that every weekend they all get a minimum of 2 each night, with 10+ people.  He said the average tab there is about $125 per person.  I told him it was too bad the prices are that high that virtually everyone pays with a card.  A waitress was walking buy and said that people with checks that high, rarely ever pay with a card.  It's almost always cash.  I know of others who've had similar conversations with wait staff at those types of venues.

Now, when you're talking about a nice everyday type restaurant, no, they're not making $1k a night.  They are however making good money and the only money they ever claim is "the money that they have to", meaning credit payments.  They never claim cash.

• Confused 1

What about you are at a hockey game and you wait online at one of the kiosks to purchase a $17 can of Labbats and pay with debit card and it asks you how much you want to tip ? 15 20 25 - do you tip ?

Tipping is stupid.  Just build the cost of the service into the menu price.

For a $34 check, I'd but down $35... Straight cash, Homie.  Then I'd pretend like I meant to put down $45.  

13 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

I would've gave $45, $50 if she was hawt

She had a kid with me, what are the odds?

14 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

What about you are at a hockey game and you wait online at one of the kiosks to purchase a $17 can of Labbats and pay with debit card and it asks you how much you want to tip ? 15 20 25 - do you tip ?

Yes,. always. Pay with cash and in that scenario probably leave all 3

37 minutes ago, edjr said:

Yes,. always. Pay with cash and in that scenario probably leave all 3

I did too but I’m not a cash guy debit yes (not credit). I did 20% but in reality she just handed me a beer. It’s funny because I’ll tip the hot dog vendor that came to my seat but not at the hot dog stand. Not cheap just don’t think about it. 

1 minute ago, TommyGavin said:

I did too but I’m not a cash guy debit yes (not credit). I did 20% but in reality she just handed me a beer. It’s funny because I’ll tip the hot dog vendor that came to my seat but not at the hot dog stand. Not cheap just don’t think about it. 

There is usually a pile of ones in front of the register, I do a little slight of hands, grab 5 and put 3 back

Maybe tipping should be based on a per hour basis.  $5 per hour per person.

Complaining  about tips isn’t getting people to tip more. The opposite will occur.