Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Failure of the public education system

I could maybe get on board with all this sexualization in schools if someone could give me a good reason why it should be there.  Why is it necessary to have a book explicitly describing gay hand jobs in middle school?  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Fireballer said:

I could maybe get on board with all this sexualization in schools if someone could give me a good reason why it should be there.  Why is it necessary to have a book explicitly describing gay hand jobs in middle school?  

Looks like fake news that it was on the “recommended reading list.”

It was also not shown to students, they stole it from an “off limits area” while the teacher was out and there was a substitute.  But yeah, probably shouldn’t be there in the first place.

34 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

It was also not shown to students, they stole it from an “off limits area” while the teacher was out and there was a substitute.  But yeah, probably shouldn’t be there in the first place.

There is more to the story than what the "(Non) Think Tank" on Twitter says? Shocking!!

But yes I do ultimately agree there is no reason for that book to be in the library anywhere. I am curious though because I know sometimes publishers will just send books to libraries to try to solicit buying. 

15 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Now THAT is a lunatic who should be immediately removed from their position and never allowed to teach kids ever again. Should have their pension and everything swiped from them as well. 

55 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

It’s good the kids were at the bottom of the list. 

5 hours ago, TimHauck said:

They just wanted to get married. 

59 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

At least 269 K-12 educators arrested on child sex crimes in first 9 months of this year

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/at-least-269-k-12-educators-arrested-child-sex-crimes-first-9-months-year

Catholic priest's and clergy, nationally, were vilified at the numbers of sexual abuse claims that came forward over the years.  Those numbers pale in comparison from what we're seeing from teachers, yet "mum is the word".

55 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Catholic priest's and clergy, nationally, were vilified at the numbers of sexual abuse claims that came forward over the years.  Those numbers pale in comparison from what we're seeing from teachers, yet "mum is the word".

Do we know Catholic school teachers/staff aren’t among the 269?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

When you don’t read critically, you do yourself a disservice.

There are an estimated 3.2 million public school teachers in the country, meaning the arrests compiled by Fox News Digital make up only 0.0084%. 

But then you have a man named Christopher Rufo quoted, which is where you seem to have gotten the above statement from:

"The number of teachers arrested for child sex abuse is just the tip of the iceberg — much as it was for the Catholic Church prior to widespread exposure and investigation in the early 2000s," Christopher Rufo, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, said in a statement to Fox News Digital. "The best available academic research, published by the Department of Education, suggests that nearly 10% of public school students suffer from physical abuse between kindergarten and twelfth grade."

"According to that research, the scale of sexual abuse in the public schools is nearly 100 times greater than that of the Catholic Church," he said. "The question for critics who seek to downplay the extent of public-school sexual abuse is this: How many arrests need to happen before you consider it a problem? How many children need to be sexually abused by teachers before you consider it a crisis?"

What research is he quoting? Who is Christopher Rufo? So, they never link to this supposed research, so can we assume it’s made up? Also, he’s a far-right activist who openly states his goal is: “driving the national conversation on critical race theory and gender ideology.” He also is a strong advocate for privatizing schools. He has an obvious agenda here, doesn’t link his “research,” but we are supposed to take his word?

You’d better have some really f-ing good research if you can claim the observed sexual assault numbers of 0.0084% are actually more than 10,000x higher, at 10%. So why don’t they even link to this supposed research?

This is just an article meant to get people riled up. Also, why don’t they list sexual assault incidence for private schools? Surely they could have gotten that info too.

Sexual abuse is a terrible thing, but you’ve got to be on a special kind of crack to think it’s more common among school teachers than priests.

17 hours ago, dogcows said:

But then you have a man named Christopher Rufo quoted, which is where you seem to have gotten the above statement from:

What research is he quoting? Who is Christopher Rufo? So, they never link to this supposed research, so can we assume it’s made up? Also, he’s a far-right activist who openly states his goal is: “driving the national conversation on critical race theory and gender ideology.” He also is a strong advocate for privatizing schools. He has an obvious agenda here, doesn’t link his “research,” but we are supposed to take his word?

You’d better have some really f-ing good research if you can claim the observed sexual assault numbers of 0.0084% are actually more than 10,000x higher, at 10%. So why don’t they even link to this supposed research?

This is just an article meant to get people riled up. Also, why don’t they list sexual assault incidence for private schools? Surely they could have gotten that info too.

Sexual abuse is a terrible thing, but you’ve got to be on a special kind of crack to think it’s more common among school teachers than priests.

LOL, ignorance is bliss.  It doesn't take much to find multiple outlets reporting similar results from different data sources.  For example, here is a link to a website from the Office of Justice Programs that have concluded that almost 10% of students K-12, experience sexual misconduct by a school employee, at least once in their time in school.  Currently, there are almost 50M kids in school.  You don't need to be a math major to figure out that they're talking about almost 5 MILLION kids.

47 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, ignorance is bliss.  It doesn't take much to find multiple outlets reporting similar results from different data sources.  For example, here is a link to a website from the Office of Justice Programs that have concluded that almost 10% of students K-12, experience sexual misconduct by a school employee, at least once in their time in school.  Currently, there are almost 50M kids in school.  You don't need to be a math major to figure out that they're talking about almost 5 MILLION kids.

That link doesn’t work. But I searched and found a single study from 2004 that estimates 10% of students experienced some kind of abuse over 13 years of K-12 school. I am not sure of the results since no other studies seem to have followed up, but let’s take it for the sake of argument. Most students encounter over a hundred teachers throughout that time, plus all the other school employees, so even if 10% is true, the number of teachers is very low. We need to work hard to find them and root them out because it seems like most offenders are repeat offenders and keep offending until caught.

My problem with Christopher Rufo is that he (either intentionally or through sheer stupidity) equates that number to the fact that 4-5% of priests have been found to be abusers. He is taking those 2 numbers and saying that abuse is more common at school? Actually, quite the opposite. If you look at the 10% number of students affected vs 100+ employees encountered, you’re at about 1/10th of a percent of school employees who are bad actors… 1 out of 1000.

https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/issues-and-action/child-and-youth-protection/upload/The-Nature-and-Scope-of-Sexual-Abuse-of-Minors-by-Catholic-Priests-and-Deacons-in-the-United-States-1950-2002.pdf

If you picked 20 priests at random during the period studied, 1 would be a child abuser. The numbers among school teachers is far lower. Rufo plays games with numbers, and compares absolute numbers of possible victims instead of the percentage of Catholic priests. Almost everybody goes to public school. A much smaller number of kids are Catholic, and they usually have 1-2 priests at their church. If you look up Rufo, he is quoted constantly by the Catholic Church and groups affiliated with it. He’s providing BS to try and minimize their very serious scandal by pretending that public schools are worse. Doing just a minor amount of critical thinking and math shows that to be utter nonsense.

1 out of 20 vs 1 out of 1000. It’s not even close. You can see why the Catholics constantly put Rufo out there to give them cover.

18 hours ago, dogcows said:

No. That’s just stupid. Much more prevalent in education. Not even close as a matter of fact. Volume dictates that to be the case. Priests don’t have anywhere near the access to kids that educators do. You’re just wrong and don’t understand crime. 

It's so easy to pick out the sickos in this thread denying and/or downplaying this sickness. They all just happen to be liberals.

22 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

you are really off here

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, dogcows said:

That link doesn’t work. But I searched and found a single study from 2004 that estimates 10% of students experienced some kind of abuse over 13 years of K-12 school. I am not sure of the results since no other studies seem to have followed up, but let’s take it for the sake of argument. Most students encounter over a hundred teachers throughout that time, plus all the other school employees, so even if 10% is true, the number of teachers is very low. We need to work hard to find them and root them out because it seems like most offenders are repeat offenders and keep offending until caught.

My problem with Christopher Rufo is that he (either intentionally or through sheer stupidity) equates that number to the fact that 4-5% of priests have been found to be abusers. He is taking those 2 numbers and saying that abuse is more common at school? Actually, quite the opposite. If you look at the 10% number of students affected vs 100+ employees encountered, you’re at about 1/10th of a percent of school employees who are bad actors… 1 out of 1000.

https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/issues-and-action/child-and-youth-protection/upload/The-Nature-and-Scope-of-Sexual-Abuse-of-Minors-by-Catholic-Priests-and-Deacons-in-the-United-States-1950-2002.pdf

If you picked 20 priests at random during the period studied, 1 would be a child abuser. The numbers among school teachers is far lower. Rufo plays games with numbers, and compares absolute numbers of possible victims instead of the percentage of Catholic priests. Almost everybody goes to public school. A much smaller number of kids are Catholic, and they usually have 1-2 priests at their church. If you look up Rufo, he is quoted constantly by the Catholic Church and groups affiliated with it. He’s providing BS to try and minimize their very serious scandal by pretending that public schools are worse. Doing just a minor amount of critical thinking and math shows that to be utter nonsense.

1 out of 20 vs 1 out of 1000. It’s not even close. You can see why the Catholics constantly put Rufo out there to give them cover.

Here's the direct link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/252484.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjw65K-pOP6AhXfD1kFHar6B5cQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0a3nW6BVfY9ygRkXTDWYLe

It's a pdf.  The funny thing is, you're talking about 2004, this is from 2014, 10 years later, and the numbers are still the same.  I find it astonishing, that not 1, but 2, reports can find about 5 MILLION kids were sexually approached by school officials, and you don't see that as a problem.

4 hours ago, Herbivore said:

you are really off here

Yeah, not really.  Dogcows just said he saw a report from 2004 saying 10% of students (which is about 5 million), we're sexually approached during their 13 years of school.  Apparently to him, that's not a big deal.  But in my response to him, I put the link (above), to a report from 10 years later, still saying the same thing.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, not really.  Dogcows just said he saw a report from 2004 saying 10% of students (which is about 5 million), we're sexually approached during their 13 years of school.  Apparently to him, that's not a big deal.  But in my response to him, I put the link (above), to a report from 10 years later, still saying the same thing.

That isn’t what I said. I said it’s a straight up lie from Rufo that teachers are more dangerous than priests. He’s a shill for the Catholic Church. Again, do the math based on the numbers we’ve discussed: about 1 in 1000 teachers vs 1 in 20 priests. Ask anybody on the street: would you feel safer if your kid was alone with a teacher or a catholic priest? I know the answer and so do you.

7 minutes ago, dogcows said:

That isn’t what I said. I said it’s a straight up lie from Rufo that teachers are more dangerous than priests. He’s a shill for the Catholic Church. Again, do the math based on the numbers we’ve discussed: about 1 in 1000 teachers vs 1 in 20 priests. Ask anybody on the street: would you feel safer if your kid was alone with a teacher or a catholic priest? I know the answer and so do you.

Please. “People on the street” think there are people in prison for smoking a joint and cops are killing unarmed blacks at a prodigious rate. The left spins yarns  about crime to fit their agenda and their flock eats it up because they want to. 

18 minutes ago, dogcows said:

It's not a lie. Teachers are way more dangerous to kids. You just buy into a preconceived idiot narrative. 

I was in catholic school and in situations alone with priests and with teachers. The priests were all just fine every time, the teachers always had agendas in one way or another. Bad or good. 

And in grade school, I was very rarely alone with a priest as priests didn't interact with kids one on one. Teachers did all the focking time. 

You offer up nothing ever that makes any sense. 

On 10/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, Shooter McGavin said:

How does teaching about bros hand jobs make one a homogenous drone that can't think for themselves?

because it wastes precious school time that could be devoted to reading, writing and arithmetic.  without the tools to think, they won't be able to think.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, Shooter McGavin said:

How does teaching about bros hand jobs make one a homogenous drone that can't think for themselves?

WTF? Here he is again, downplaying the pedophilia. The only reason I can think you’re still in possession of your teeth is that you only show your true proclivities on line. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

WTF? Here he is again, downplaying the pedophilia. The only reason I can think you’re still in possession of your teeth is that you only show your true proclivities on line. 

seriously.  he should go door to door to parents of middle school kids and ask that question.  he will only ask it here because he thinks there is no ramifications.

10 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

HT more worried about a gay teacher than one planning to kill their students, lol

Yes. The logical. When teachers start killing kids and stop molesting them let me know. For now I’ll be on the lookout for the much more likely scenario  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. The logical. When teachers start killing kids and stop molesting them let me know. For now I’ll be on the lookout for the more likely scenario  

So you’re going with the “it’s not widespread” defense, got it 

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

So you’re going with the “it’s not widespread” defense, got it 

I love how I make my fan club behave. 

11 hours ago, dogcows said:

LOL, you're arguments are absurd.  It's ok that 5 million kids are sexualized in schools, because the 20k who were sexualized by priests is at a higher rate.

26 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, you're arguments are absurd.  It's ok that 5 million kids are sexualized in schools, because the 20k who were sexualized by priests is at a higher rate.

That’s not what he’s saying though

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Restorative Justice at work.  

I wonder what Randi Weingarten would have to say about that? She helped cause it after all. 

They would rather talk to elementary school kids about sex and gender than teach high school kids algebra. 

On 10/16/2022 at 10:40 AM, TimHauck said:

That’s not what he’s saying though

That's EXACTLY what he said:

"Again, do the math based on the numbers we’ve discussed: about 1 in 1000 teachers vs 1 in 20 priests. Ask anybody on the street: would you feel safer if your kid was alone with a teacher or a catholic priest? I know the answer and so do you."

It's funny that he's ok with that math, but not the math that says 13% of the population is responsible for 51% of the nations homicides/murders.  Weird, huh?