Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Saudi Golf Tour

Looks like Dechambeau is going to call the PGAs bluff. Others as well. 

They feel the PGA simply doesn't have the legal standing on it's threats.

If they move, suddenly the existing professional golf paradigm is out the window. Every tournament, sponsor, manufacturer, and, of course, player, will be up for grabs when the contracts run out. 

If the PGA goes to court and loses, they are finished. IMO, it's time for PGA to form an alliance with the SGL people and be stronger than ever.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Do they put little circles of green grass as the hazards in the desert? 

The tourneys will also be here in the U.S.

Plenty of great golf courses that aren't part of the tour. However, they are part of the PGA. That is why the PGA can't afford to lose. It will destroy their stranglehold on golf everywhere,  not just the tour. They nearly have no choice but to settle.

I have been living under a rock, what is the lawsuit?

1 minute ago, edjr said:

None yet. But from what I hear, the players plan on suing if the PGA prevents them from playing tour events after they commit to the Saudi.  

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

None yet. But from what I hear, the players plan on suing if the PGA prevents them from playing tour events after they commit to the Saudi.  

I haven’t followed it much but I thought most of the players were not going to go to this new league?

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

I haven’t followed it much but I thought most of the players were not going to go to this new league?

Only a few players have dared to express interest openly.  Dechambeau and Mickelson being the most vocal.  The word is many others have covertly committed.  Dechambeau is expected to sign soon, and once he does, the dam should burst. 

18 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Only a few players have dared to express interest openly.  Dechambeau and Mickelson being the most vocal.  The word is many others have covertly committed.  Dechambeau is expected to sign soon, and once he does, the dam should burst. 

Yeah I guess the bigger question is will these guys play the masters, British and the U.S. Open? If the answer is yes I’m not sure most people care what they do. I’m sure some people follow golf seasons but I think most people just grab a couple tournaments that are interesting.

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

It's like Hot Shots Golf but the fast-running caddy is wearing a burqa.  

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

Yeah I guess the bigger question is will these guys play the masters, British and the U.S. Open? If the answer is yes I’m not sure most people care what they do. I’m sure some people follow golf seasons but I think most people just grab a couple tournaments that are interesting.

Another huge question is exemptions.  Dechambeau, for example, has a 10 year exemption to any tournament on tour.  Is it possible to rescind that exemption?  If so, under what conditions?  The PGA is threatening lifetime bans. 

4 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Most events will be in the US

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Another huge question is exemptions.  Dechambeau, for example, has a 10 year exemption to any tournament on tour.  Is it possible to rescind that exemption?  If so, under what conditions?  The PGA is threatening lifetime bans. 

Oh yeah that’s an excellent point. 

It took me 25 years to finally root for Phil Mickelson.  The past couple seasons he seemed cool.  The coffee, the calves, the bombs.                        

And just like that.  Poof.  It’s gone.

He is who I always thought he was. 

As a Phil fan I’m not thrilled he’s involved with this but he has always been someone who isn’t afraid to challenge the powers that be (Tom Watson during the Ryder press conference, years ago saying he would play less events and didn’t care about the fedex etc) and if he thinks the idea of the Saudi league will get the PGA to improve things (which I believe they can when you see other pro sports with players almost running things), then I’m not going to blame him, especially at this stage in his career. 

there’s supposedly an interview from a while back set to be in a biography about Phil where he says he doesn’t even care if the Saudi league succeeds or not as long as it forces the PGA to make some changes. 

there’s also some speculation that he’s in gambling debt so who knows :dunno:

Tiger clearly had his vices and I couldn’t stand him for a while but he’s matured and grown on me the last few seasons (obviously always respected the game). DJ had issues clearly 😂 

we will see what happens. 

On 2/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, edjr said:

Not sure the lawsuit per se but it’s Saudi blood money being “laundered” through a golf league by throwing crazy money at PGA Tour players to lure them away.  

The Saudi league is the minor leagues, just like this thread.  Here is where the gentlemen have discussion 

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

This would be what I alluded to in my above post.

I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

Also I can't stand barstool sports so Im trying not to let their overall tone cloud my feelings. Even though i don't blame him for trying to spark change, I completely agree that he shouldn't be trying to facilitate change in THIS particular way. Not with this $

Anybody remember a feller named Bin Laden? 

Or the nationality of most of the 911 guys?

Or the atrocious human rights record of the Sauds? 

• Like 1

The PGA is officially in a full court press.  The have turned Mickelson into a villian.  Greg Norman now has to be a political commentator about the Saudis.  The BC Open is coming up, which is a usual non-event with the big pros flying all over the world to make appearance money.  Not this year.  The PGA has writers for every outlet blasting any mention of the Saudi Tour, all the outlets have an interest, of course.  The next 2 months will be interesting.  

On 2/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, wiffleball said:

Or the nationality of most of the 911 guys?

I think technically most were from Yemen.   :dunno:

But I agree with your point... we shouldn't be doing business with scumbag Saudi Arabia.

They have reason to be concerned, imho. Am I pro LIV Golf? no... but you can't blame someone for trying to create competition. We can laugh and say "oh it's just going to be over the hill guys who can't win and want to chase $$, good riddance Sergio, Lee Westwood, Luke Donald, Phil, Hoffman, maybe even Bryson, etc etc"  but what happens if those still well known names begin to show that there are some better aspects to LIV and we see more, younger fringe players heading over? Then maybe you get a big name bombshell that falls into the star in their prime category.... 

it's going to be interesting for sure.

2 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

i thought it was the CIA.  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, taco breath said:

i thought it was the CIA.  :dunno:

Crisis actors. It turns out most of the terrorists were also 7 year olds from Sandy hook. Trust me, I heard it from Alex Jones Donald Trump and the pillow guy.

How's it working out for Nippleson and Deshamblow?

19 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

But I agree with your point... we shouldn't be doing business with scumbag Saudi Arabia.

The whole world is full is full of scumbags including the good ol' US of A  

24 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I thought everyone was created from semen? 

If you want to bash the LIV tour based on logistics, PGA Tour loyalty, greed, etc - cool. 

But for the luv of Gawd, shut up about morality and principles. The US has been in bed with the Saudi's for years. We still import about 5% of our oil from the bastards - ok for you to benefit from them but not a few tour pros? Then there's Tiger - he was about as despicable, classless, unprincipled of a human being as one can get - yet he has millions who can't suck his cack enuff, including some here. 

Then there's Nike - as big of a name in the world golf during TW's run as there was. For years Nike exploited poor workers, children even, in sweatshops to produce their products. Never heard a peep, hell the brand is still celebrated over here. But by Gawd, tar and feather those doing biz with SA..... please. 

44 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Greg Norman....lol

Probably have an award for guy who coughs up the biggest lead on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Greg Norman....lol

Is 67 and would kick your… our asses. 

14 hours ago, Cruzer said:

If you want to bash the LIV tour based on logistics, PGA Tour loyalty, greed, etc - cool. 

But for the luv of Gawd, shut up about morality and principles. The US has been in bed with the Saudi's for years. We still import about 5% of our oil from the bastards - ok for you to benefit from them but not a few tour pros? Then there's Tiger - he was about as despicable, classless, unprincipled of a human being as one can get - yet he has millions who can't suck his cack enuff, including some here. 

Then there's Nike - as big of a name in the world golf during TW's run as there was. For years Nike exploited poor workers, children even, in sweatshops to produce their products. Never heard a peep, hell the brand is still celebrated over here. But by Gawd, tar and feather those doing biz with SA..... please. 

I agree with you completely. I’m also glad to see you recognizing Tiger for what/who he was. I used to get in big debates with I believe it was you?, back in the day, about his legacy (pre incidents) and always thought you leaned more toward the KSB end of tiger apologists. 

I think it was more that you held him in higher regard than I did before all the scandals. I would always tell you I respected his talent but thought he was a prik (language, club slamming, acting like the game owed him more than he owed it). 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Probably have an award for guy who coughs up the biggest lead on Sunday.

Or said killing someone is a mistake we all make.

10 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I agree with you completely. I’m also glad to see you recognizing Tiger for what/who he was. I used to get in big debates with I believe it was you?, back in the day, about his legacy (pre incidents) and always thought you leaned more toward the KSB end of tiger apologists. 

I think it was more that you held him in higher regard than I did before all the scandals. I would always tell you I respected his talent but thought he was a prik (language, club slamming, acting like the game owed him more than he owed it). 

I've always viewed TW as a gigantic dooshbag, p.o.s., priick... That being said, inside the ropes - I'm as big a TW fan as you'll find. To get to see his entire career has been arguably my greatest sports treasure of all time. 

I'm able to separate Tiger the man from Tiger the golfer - many can't. 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, TimmySmith said:

The PGA is officially in a full court press.  The have turned Mickelson into a villian.  Greg Norman now has to be a political commentator about the Saudis.  The BC Open is coming up, which is a usual non-event with the big pros flying all over the world to make appearance money.  Not this year.  The PGA has writers for every outlet blasting any mention of the Saudi Tour, all the outlets have an interest, of course.  The next 2 months will be interesting.  

42 of 48 players named and yes it’s mostly what we expected with Westwood, Sergio, Poulter and lots of “scrubs” but wow. PGA can’t be happy to see Dustin Johnson, Louis Oosthuizen, Talor Gooch and Kevin Na. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

42 of 48 players named and yes it’s mostly what we expected with Westwood, Sergio, Poulter and lots of “scrubs” but wow. PGA can’t be happy to see Dustin Johnson, Louis Oosthuizen, Talor Gooch and Kevin Na. 

Christmas Day for Mickelson.  The PGA would be wise to stay mum and let the Saudi Tour fail or succeed on it's own for a while.  These things tend to run out of money in a few years.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Christmas Day for Mickelson.  The PGA would be wise to stay mum and let the Saudi Tour fail or succeed on it's own for a while.  These things tend to run out of money in a few years.

If backed by the right people, it is unpossible to run out of money