Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Saudi Golf Tour

17 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Bay Hill is definitely not some star studded field these days.  It has become middling.  

No one is acting like they play each week.  I watch every week and bet every week.  I know who plays.

Ancer 4th, dechambeau 19th, DJ 25th at thr Travelers last year.  

Will they be there this year? No? Hence watered down. 

My stance isn't some puzzle here. 

Why won't they be there?  

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Why won't they be there?  

I believe the PGA suspended them from there events.   But I may have missed something.  

42 minutes ago, Bert said:

What is the end game for LIV?  How are they going to make money?  I don't believe they have a TV deal unless it is in Europe or the middle east.  Are they trying to be the ABA or the AFL and hoping they are not the USFL?

At some point the saudis would say "why are we paying these guys so much $ to suck". It's like BIG (Basic Income Guarantee) for golfers. It's pretty much proven that if you give someone free $ they won' try as hard. That's why DJ and Koepka are there. Free $ and don't have to give a fock about how they play.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Why won't they be there?  

There’s only so many weeks in the year.  Golfers take time off already on a schedule. Hell two weeks ago we had the Canadian Open and a LIV event at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

There’s only so many weeks in the year.  Golfers take time off already on a schedule. Hell two weeks ago we had the Canadian Open and a LIV event at the same time. 

That is the real issue. There are only so many weeks and these guys need time off.

If a big time fighter makes a crazy 150 mil payday off 1 fight he is going to fight way less and retire much earlier.  Good for him. 

If you give a golfer 125 mil to show up to 8 3 round events to just bat thr ball around he is going to enjoy much more time off even if he could go play some where in between for peanuts.

This. Is. Not. Rocket. Science.  

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

That is the real issue. There are only so many weeks and these guys need time off.

I’m spit balling here but let’s say a DJ plays in 20 PGA events a year normally. Now he plays in 8 LIV tournaments.  He’s not going to add weeks.In fact because of all the money he may only play in the four Majors and maybe a couple others.  That’s it. 

34 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I believe the PGA suspended them from there events.   But I may have missed something.  

So the PGA is preventing you from watching your favorite players? 

Okay a couple points

1. yes, the players are going to enjoy shorter events, no cuts and only having to play xx amount of events. 
2. if they are allowed to play DP world tour events, you’ll see some guys playing those as well for the OWR points. 
3. as independent contractors, PGA players can play in as few events as they want. A lot of what has them showing up at “lesser” events is the need for Fedex cup standing and sponsor obligations…. I.e. money. 
4. if the PGA realizes contracts are the way to go to combat LIV, it will likely be built into the contract language that top golfers need to play a few less desired events each year to keep those ones relevant. 
5. someone said it’s proven when you give guys so much money they won’t try as hard. Proven how? By Lebron? Patrick Mahomes? Soon to be Aaron Judge? If these golfers don’t try as hard it’s because they are the older players or ones without a huge passion for the game. If bigger names start to jump ship for guaranteed contracts, it won’t be any different than the NBA or MLB etc. 

58 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Okay a couple points

1. yes, the players are going to enjoy shorter events, no cuts and only having to play xx amount of events. 
2. if they are allowed to play DP world tour events, you’ll see some guys playing those as well for the OWR points. 
3. as independent contractors, PGA players can play in as few events as they want. A lot of what has them showing up at “lesser” events is the need for Fedex cup standing and sponsor obligations…. I.e. money. 
4. if the PGA realizes contracts are the way to go to combat LIV, it will likely be built into the contract language that top golfers need to play a few less desired events each year to keep those ones relevant. 
5. someone said it’s proven when you give guys so much money they won’t try as hard. Proven how? By Lebron? Patrick Mahomes? Soon to be Aaron Judge? If these golfers don’t try as hard it’s because they are the older players or ones without a huge passion for the game. If bigger names start to jump ship for guaranteed contracts, it won’t be any different than the NBA or MLB etc. 

On #3, PGA tour players have to play in 15 events per year minimum. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

Okay a couple points

I have to admit......my not wanting a CHANGE is my biggest hang up.  It is my favorite thing to watch and the change is what is bothering me.  I'm starting to better understand how it got to here.  What sport is next??

John Deere Classic (great tournament) is same weekend as LIV next event.  

All these “smaller” tournaments will be terrible if this keeps up. 

13 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

You and listen are proving exactly what Phil and Greg Norman have been saying.  The superstar players are the tour, they should be able to see what the market dictates. 

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

You and listen are proving exactly what Phil and Greg Norman have been saying.  The superstar players are the tour, they should be able to see what the market dictates. 

100%

You won't see greg norman offer  Johnny Vegas 100 million to play LIV. he should pay them

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

So the PGA is preventing you from watching your favorite players? 

No idea what you are getting at or fishing for.  Really I don't lol. 

37 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Again, you are debating a stance that I haven't took in this whole thread.  You seem very confused between my posts and KSBs yet they are very different.   

You are starting to make me question if I am going insane here?

Faldo announced his retirement.  Any takers on where he's going??  He sounded very nervous on The Dan Patrick Show this morning when questioned on it.

26 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Again, you are debating a stance that I haven't took in this whole thread.  You seem very confused between my posts and KSBs yet they are very different.   

You are starting to make me question if I am going insane here?

I think the rest of us already know.  Either that or you have a very difficult time expressing yourself properly. 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I think the rest of us already know.  Either that or you have a very difficult time expressing yourself properly. 

Quote something of mine that has anything to do with what you are talking about.  You are debating me on stances I haven't taken.  It is really odd.

All I said is another tour waters golf down.  Bummer for fans.  I said i dont blame players for grabbing the cash.  I don't blame LIV and don't care about thr moral stuff.  

Quote something.  You can't.   You got me and KSB confused and can't seem to realize it. 

1 hour ago, remote controller said:

I have to admit......my not wanting a CHANGE is my biggest hang up.  It is my favorite thing to watch and the change is what is bothering me.  I'm starting to better understand how it got to here.  What sport is next??

And that’s the thing. As a golf fan I don’t really want it either. I’d rather there just be a PGA 

BUT I’m objective enough to see that the PGA and certain players of theirs are being very hypocritical considering they were a breakaway tour of their own 60ish years ago. And when a Justin Thomas says that he wants all the top players at the US Open but doesn’t like that these LIV guys can do both, my question becomes why is it okay for the PGA guys to do both? The answer boils down they simply think they deserve it because they’ve been around longer. 

but I do also believe golfers should be contracted. The stars of the game should get star money and the Johnny Vegas’ of the world as Ed mentioned should get “veterans minimums”. It would solve a big issue that Phil specifically was in favor of seeing changed. 

3 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

But you didn’t even know about it I thought 😉

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

At least you know they are playing that week 👍🏼

There must be a huge difference in weather as well. Where are these tournaments going to be held?

13 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Quote something of mine that has anything to do with what you are talking about.  You are debating me on stances I haven't taken.  It is really odd.

All I said is another tour waters golf down.  Bummer for fans.  I said i dont blame players for grabbing the cash.  I don't blame LIV and don't care about thr moral stuff.  

Quote something.  You can't.   You got me and KSB confused and can't seem to realize it. 

So no quote.  Good. I am not going insane.  You are just confusing me with KSB this whole thread.

7 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Brooks was Here

It took 7 hours, but it finally clicked. That is Shawshank Redemptions. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, edjr said:

There must be a huge difference in weather as well. Where are these tournaments going to be held?

next event is Portland

3rd event is Trump Bedminster in NJ where this past PGA was supposed to be. I am honestly considering going.

I don't think they care about weather. I think its all about fewer events, 3 rounds instead of 4, no cuts and the shotgun format eliminates good/bad sides of the draw.

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I think its all about money.

Edited for you.  

Which is fine, but spare me the sales job.  

“Shotgun Starts!”  :lol:

10 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Then again, I'm one of those that enjoys watching no-names play in the regular tour stops. 

Except Billy Horschel.

I guarantee Cruz would chip in some cash to get Billy Horschel to move to LIV tour.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Except Billy Horschel.

I guarantee Cruz would chip in some cash to get Billy Horschel to move to LIV tour.

Pat !!!   :pointstosky:

Call me some traditionalist weirdo but shotgun starts?  Meh.  Similar to how people hate the DH in baseball.   I get anyone trying to sell product.  But to me a golf course is played 1 thru 18.  Call me some crazy old man at 33 years old but that is how they construct courses.  I love shotgun start on my local charity scramble. 

2 hours ago, patweisers44 said:

Except Billy Horschel.

Damnit Pat! 🤬  🤣

13 hours ago, Bert said:

What is the end game for LIV?  How are they going to make money?  I don't believe they have a TV deal unless it is in Europe or the middle east.  Are they trying to be the ABA or the AFL and hoping they are not the USFL?

Not really sure. Maybe it's schtick, maybe Norman really does have visions of becoming a world tour. What I do know is that I don't really care one way or the other. I don't see them as a threat. I may tune in every now and then, but for the most part I'll still watch PGA Tour events. 

Far as money, the Saudis print money - really don't think they're too concerned with generating revenue. 

13 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Bay Hill is definitely not some star studded field these days.  It has become middling.  

No one is acting like they play each week.  I watch every week and bet every week.  I know who plays.

Ancer 4th, dechambeau 19th, DJ 25th at thr Travelers last year.  

Will they be there this year? No? Hence watered down. 

My stance isn't some puzzle here. 

We're all impressed you watch every week. I do too, have been since before you rubbed your 1st one out - I know who plays too. 

There's no puzzle, there's also nobody saying it won't be watered down some, least not me. Not sure why you feel you keep having to defend a point that hasn't been challenged. 

I will continue to watch when even big names leave. Like I said, next man up - I enjoy watching new blood. If you don't you don't, that's on you. 

20 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

BUT I’m objective enough to see that the PGA and certain players of theirs are being very hypocritical considering they were a breakaway tour of their own 60ish years ago. And when a Justin Thomas says that he wants all the top players at the US Open but doesn’t like that these LIV guys can do both, my question becomes why is it okay for the PGA guys to do both? The answer boils down they simply think they deserve it because they’ve been around longer. 

I remember a time when Euro players were actually Euro players. They played in the majors here, but for the most part they played the Euro tour - the RC teams were actually comprised of true Euros who made their homes in their native countries.

Rory, Poulter, Langer, Casey, Stenson, L. Donald, Kaymer, etc......a Who's Who of South Florida or Scottsdale, AZ residents. The PGA Tour didn't mind plucking these guys from another tour, didn't mind them chasing the more lucruative purses of the PGA Tour.... All of the sudden, it's blashemy. :rolleyes:

And I didn't even mention all the Aussies, S. Koreans and S. Americans who bolted to our tour. 

6 hours ago, Cruzer said:

We're all impressed you watch every week. I do too, have been since before you rubbed your 1st one out - I know who plays too. 

There's no puzzle, there's also nobody saying it won't be watered down some, least not me. Not sure why you feel you keep having to defend a point that hasn't been challenged. 

I will continue to watch when even big names leave. Like I said, next man up - I enjoy watching new blood. If you don't you don't, that's on you. 

Lol you are such a dlckhead

16 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

And that’s the thing. As a golf fan I don’t really want it either. I’d rather there just be a PGA 

but I do also believe golfers should be contracted. The stars of the game should get star money and the Johnny Vegas’ of the world as Ed mentioned should get “veterans minimums”. It would solve a big issue that Phil specifically was in favor of seeing changed. 

I agree.

Its similar to what has happened to ncaa football. I agree payers should be paid. But this new system has potential to ruin something many of us love.

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol you are such a dlckhead

Ha, look who's talking. 

The disc golf season may fly by for most, but within the eight to nine months that many would consider “tour time,” there are a ton of opportunities to play. If you’re new to the sport of disc golf, it might seem overwhelming to decipher the differences between Majors, NTs, the DGPT tours, and more. Today we’re going to break down the disc golf tours you need to know about and offer helpful resources to stay up to date on the latest events happening across the world.

https://www.dudeclothing.com/disc-golf-tours/