Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Saudi Golf Tour

3 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

These pro PGA guys keep flip-flopping. First it's the sanctity of the PGA Tour. Next it's all about the players. Then it's about golf itself. Then they say they wouldn't pay $1 to see a golf exhibition that included a chance to see some of the biggest names to play the sport, up close,  with no crowds. Turns out it's just about brand loyalty, with nothing to do with the sport or the players.

I don’t think anyone who is anti LIV is flip flopping. Maybe a new reason every few weeks, which is understandable considering they didn’t think it would get as many players as it has or be as disruptive as it’s already been. 

I agree, much of it seems to be blind brand loyalty 

One thing I don't understand is.........why these LIV guys keep talking, why they feel obligated to explain their decision. 

Just say you made a personal decision to jump ship, fk'm if the media doesn't like it, they don't owe them shiit. 

53 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

One thing I don't understand is.........why these LIV guys keep talking, why they feel obligated to explain their decision. 

Just say you made a personal decision to jump ship, fk'm if the media doesn't like it, they don't owe them shiit. 

I agree. Why are they filing suit against the PGA if LIV is so awesome and the future of golf?  

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

I agree. Why are they filing suit against the PGA if LIV is so awesome and the future of golf?  

it’s an anti trust lawsuit due to the PGAs desire to be a monopoly  on the sport  

it has little to do with LIV being “so awesome and the future of golf” or not  

I’d assume it’s about being banned from a tour where they have no contractual obligation and are seen as independent contractors. So a guy like Phil earns a “lifetime membership” which is cool before but now that the PGA got its feathers ruffled, “oh hey, that lifetime membership? Not anymore”. 

PGA never had an issue with their guys playing DP tour events before because DP isn’t seen as a threat. Despite what the PGA claims, their actions make it obvious that they feel LIV is a threat to their monopoly. 

If the PGA wasn’t against competition, they would accept that these guys have another avenue to showcase their talent, not ban them, and simply coexist. To my knowledge, LIV has not told any of their golfers that they can’t play other tours 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://golf.com/news/pga-tour-liv-lawsuit-memo-monahan/

PGA fires back. 

Fundamentally, these suspended players — who are now Saudi Golf League employees — have walked away from the Tour and now want back in. With the Saudi Golf League on hiatus, they’re trying to use lawyers to force their way into competition alongside our members in good standing,” the memo read.

Monahan suggested in no uncertain terms that the suit was an attempt for LIV golfers to have it both ways and that four Tour members it meant an attempt to “promote themselves and freeride on your benefits and efforts.”

Funny, Monahan calls them employees with a negative connotation... since his golfers are not employees. 

Also it's not that they "now" want back in. These lawsuits have been in the works since before the first LIV event 

"promote themselves and freeride".... they don't need to promote themselves, PGA and GC give them free press 24/7 :lol:

🍿

The PGA had/has a clear monopoly on professional golf, basically employing all professionals. Deciding who gets to be a professional. So the question is whether it was legal. It's time for Jay to keep his mouth shut and his lawyers to do their work. He's not very smart.

7 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

it’s an anti trust lawsuit due to the PGAs desire to be a monopoly  on the sport  

it has little to do with LIV being “so awesome and the future of golf” or not  

I’d assume it’s about being banned from a tour where they have no contractual obligation and are seen as independent contractors. So a guy like Phil earns a “lifetime membership” which is cool before but now that the PGA got its feathers ruffled, “oh hey, that lifetime membership? Not anymore”. 

PGA never had an issue with their guys playing DP tour events before because DP isn’t seen as a threat. Despite what the PGA claims, their actions make it obvious that they feel LIV is a threat to their monopoly. 

If the PGA wasn’t against competition, they would accept that these guys have another avenue to showcase their talent, not ban them, and simply coexist. To my knowledge, LIV has not told any of their golfers that they can’t play other tours 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hopefully this fight ends up like the Indy 500. 

32 minutes ago, Bert said:

Hopefully this fight ends up like the Indy 500. 

Like when they split into two racing leagues...I hope not, it's why I quit watching Indy Car racing.

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Like when they split into two racing leagues.

Exactly.  The Indy 500 became just another race and people stopped caring/watching.  

i would root for the LIV, but its backed by trump.

he couldnt take down democracy, so he is going after PGA golf.

Both sides are really starting to piss my off now. 

LIV - you biitches bolted, why, I don't care. Wanted your freedom, more $$ for less work, something new, whatever - cool. Now you want back in, to actually play more golf??? 

PGA - you biitches keep preaching about competition and the best playing the best in the world. Well?? And for the love of Buddha, stop crying about greed!!! Davis Love III, Rory and the rest going on and on about LIV players' greed, all the while draped in sponsors gear from head to toe. DL3 was on GC this morning, bashing LIV dudes over greed. Biitch, you had a Workday logo'd hat and a shirt with no less than 3 sponsors on it - STFU already about greed! 

9 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Both sides are really starting to piss my off now. 

LIV - you biitches bolted, why, I don't care. Wanted your freedom, more $$ for less work, something new, whatever - cool. Now you want back in, to actually play more golf??? 

PGA - you biitches keep preaching about competition and the best playing the best in the world. Well?? And for the love of Buddha, stop crying about greed!!! Davis Love III, Rory and the rest going on and on about LIV players' greed, all the while draped in sponsors gear from head to toe. DL3 was on GC this morning, bashing LIV dudes over greed. Biitch, you had a Workday logo'd hat and a shirt with no less than 3 sponsors on it - STFU already about greed! 

Nailed it!  :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, taco breath said:

i would root for the LIV, but its backed by trump.

he couldnt take down democracy, so he is going after PGA golf.

i think he was a pretty big backer of the PGA, until they cancelled the pga championship at his course

Wouldn't it be something if Faldo all of the sudden joined the LIV?   I bet had Ricky not made the top 125 on the Number he would be the newest LIV addition.  

• Thanks 1

Great leaderboard Sunday.  :thumbsup:   The top 20 could have been the local PTA for all know about those names. The Fedex couldn't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, remote controller said:

Wouldn't it be something if Faldo all of the sudden joined the LIV?   I bet had Ricky not made the top 125 on the Number he would be the newest LIV addition.  

Even then, surprised he didn't make a cash $ since he isn't making anything in tourneys.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Great leaderboard Sunday.  :thumbsup:   The top 20 could have been the local PTA for all know about those names. The Fedex couldn't come soon enough.

Had J.H Kim & henley in draftkings. Too bad the rest of the players sucked on my teams. 

Faldo would surprise me... i dont believe he gets along with Norman at all.

Rickie, i'm not sure.... he probably wants to... but if he is still besties with JT and Spieth, and JT has been so outspoken against LIV, .... :dunno:

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Faldo would surprise me... i dont believe he gets along with Norman at all.

If Faldo has proven one thing about himself, it's when he's done with something, he is done with it. 

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If Faldo has proven one thing about himself, it's when he's done with something, he is done with it. 

All of his ex-wives agree and his current former stripper will find out shortly.

Respected and loved Faldo’s game. His steely eyed competitive nature was gold for majors and the RC. 

That being said, forgive me if don’t boo boo over his departure from the booth. Nobody (outside of Tiger) was a bigger diick to people and the media during his playing career than Sir Nick. He was among the last I’d ever figure to go behind a mic. His insight was a good as it gets, admittedly. But his delivery always seemed fake to me. Idk, maybe I just miss the good old days with Ken Venturi.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Watching the 20 year old finish was pretty cool.  To know that he was +4 after his first hole the first day then won by 4 is pretty amazing.  He impressed me.

Justin Lower (insert who? here) 

Poor kid goes 3-putt bogey on 72nd hole of the Wyndham… misses out on his 2023 Tour Card by 1 stroke. Damn. 🤮

4 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman bolt to the LIV tour.

WOW!  The PGA has thoroughly mishandled this. 

100M up front. Hard to turn down.  

To bad their golf legacy takes a hit and they will be branded for life. 

18 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman bolt to the LIV tour.

That's massive.

7 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

100M up front. Hard to turn down.  

To bad their golf legacy takes a hit and they will be branded for life. 

As what?  They play golf for money. It's what they do. :dunno:

I maintain the same view I have had the whole time.  

I don't blame anyone for taking more money to do a similar job.  That is none of my business.  

But I was also pizzed at all this happening because no matter what anyone tries to say, several top players and several top personalities leaving thr PGA dilutes the product.  Seems like common sense.  

I was told I just wasn't much of a golf fan though and only like names.  

Cam Smith is potentially the best player in the world and maybe my favorite golfer today.  

Sucks anyway golf elitists want to spin it.

Is that tree in the woods making a sound yet?

I’d take the money too.  :thumbsup: 

But I’m a whooore as well and don’t have the integrity and  love of the game like Tiger Woods, Rory MclRoy or Justin Thomas.  

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

But I’m a whooore as well and don’t have the integrity and  love of the game like Tiger Woods, Rory MclRoy or Justin Thomas.  

Integrity and the fact they would take a pay cut to join the LIV.  :lol: 

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

I don't understand this view from you.  Sure in a perfect little world prestige would always come first.  But has little to do about integrity.

Should all players in the NFL take less money to stay with their current franchise?   Do they have no integrity if they cash a huge check in free agency?  

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I don't understand this view from you.  Sure in a perfect little world prestige would always come first.  But has little to do about integrity.

Should all players in the NFL take less money to stay with their current franchise?   Do they have no integrity if they cash a huge check in free agency?  

His response will be back to human rights Saudi issues. 

it’s not a good look but as cruzer has pointed out a few times in the past, the PGA deals with China, some of their title sponsors deal with the saudis… no one is squeaky clean. 

6 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Looks like Ive been right all along.  This is the best thing to happen to golf.

For the players.  Yes.  

For the viewer?  Meh I don't see it.  Maybe down the line but I don't have a good idea how this all plays out 2 years from now.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

For the players.  Yes.  

For the viewer?  Meh I don't see it.  Maybe down the line but I don't have a good idea how this all plays out 2 years from now.  

I’d bet LIV gets awarded OWR points as the majors don’t want to eventually lose out on 25% of their biggest names. 

also i don’t know when but won’t surprise me if LIV is deemed to be just another tour and PGA bans are lifted. 

15 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Looks like Ive been right all along.  This is the best thing to happen to golf.

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

For the players.  Yes.  

American/Western League / National League = MLB

AFL / NFL = NFL

BAA / NBL = NBA

PGA / LIV = ????

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I’d bet LIV gets awarded OWR points as the majors don’t want to eventually lose out on 25% of their biggest names. 

also i don’t know when but won’t surprise me if LIV is deemed to be just another tour and PGA bans are lifted. 

I just don't see how you can award OWR pts to a league with a totally different format than any other golf tour ever.  You are probably right but I don't understand it.    

It still won't benefit the viewer.  Ok lets say they all get to play thr majors if qualified.  Good.  That would be great.  That is the same as it always has been.  They just play way less if any other events.  Down from previous alignment. 

Viewer gets less anyway you cut it.  Surely not more.   

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

American/Western League / National League = MLB

AFL / NFL = NFL

BAA / NBL = NBA

PGA / LIV = ????

Lets say it equals the PGA.  Ok.  How did the viewer benefit?