JustinCharge

nuclear war - doomsday⌛

31 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Having spent some time in Russia and also in Ukraine I understand the people a little.

Russians do not see this thing as a "war".  They will look at it as a government action to clean up an area. That does not mean it is NOT a war, and if you look at the body count so far I think it would be farcical to say it is not.

But the Russians love to play chess and that this is the kind of response they hope for, this is how they justify ramping things up.  So yeah, Ukraine giving them back what they got could end up coming back to bite them.  It's hypocritical but Democrats like MDC love hypocrisy....as long as only THEY do it 😄

I don't disagree with what you're saying.  But do you think the sanctions, that if not crippling the Russian economy are certainly making it much worse, and the fact that Putin's army has been exposed as a bunch of undertrained, ill prepared, horribly armed bumbling fools has been helpful to Russia?  How about two former neutral countries that border Russia now being part of NATO.

This whole war has been a fiasco for Putin and Russia and exposed just how weak they really are.  I hope Ukraine continues to push their chit in and takes back the land Russia stole in 2014. 

6 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying.  But do you think the sanctions, that if not crippling the Russian economy are certainly making it much worse, and the fact that Putin's army has been exposed as a bunch of undertrained, ill prepared, horribly armed bumbling fools has been helpful to Russia?  How about two former neutral countries that border Russia now being part of NATO.

This whole war has been a fiasco for Putin and Russia and exposed just how weak they really are.  I hope Ukraine continues to push their chit in and takes back the land Russia stole in 2014. 

I would tend to agree with your assessment. I think Putin miscalculated. I think he thought the Europeans would not stand up as they have so far. I think the Russians correctly assessed the weakness of Biden, and were ready for that, but what the Europeans have done is rather unexpected, especially the Finns

Just now, RLLD said:

I would tend to agree with your assessment. I think Putin miscalculated. I think he thought the Europeans would not stand up as they have so far. I think the Russians correctly assessed the weakness of Biden, and were ready for that, but what the Europeans have done is rather unexpected, especially the Finns

Biden's weakness?  It's Biden who pulled NATO together to stand against Putin.  Europe wasn't on board until Biden rallied them.  

It's astounding to me that you could even type that. 

• Haha 1

If there is another war I’m safe cause I won’t have to go back :lol: I feel for anyone in right now. Have to deal with dumb ass leadership that is more interested in politics and liberal agendas than they are being war ready, troop morale, or even common sense. Only leaders they have left in the military are “Yes men” that only agree with the people even higher than them. They’ve ran every good leader with common sense off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nobody said:

We're on to Armageddon.  

But what about nuclear fall...

We're on to Armageddon.

But are you gettin’ it? :dunno:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Isn't Ukraine allowed to retaliate and attack Russia?  Why would this mean it's WW3?  This is still a war between Russian and Ukraine regardless if Ukraine bombed Russia.

Apparently Putin thinks special rules apply for this situation because it's not a war, it's a "Special Military Operation".

So, while Russia is allowed to attack civilians and infrastructure in Ukraine with impunity, Ukraine is forbidden from engaging with military targets inside Russia. How dare they?

• Like 1

Just now, Voltaire said:

Apparently Putin thinks special rules apply for this situation because it's not a war, it's a "Special Military Operation".

So, while Russia is allowed to attack civilians and infrastructure in Ukraine with impunity, Ukraine is forbidden from engaging with military targets inside Russia. How dare they?

Yeah well, he’s Putin. Did you think he’s playing by the rules? 

7 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

It’s all so stupid

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

He miscalculated Biden's strength and our support. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

He miscalculated Biden's strength and our support. 

Like everyone else, Putin underestimated Biden.  His pulling together our NATO allies and getting them to bear the brunt of the economic hardship has been masterful.  Putin has weakened Russia beyond belief with this folly.  Even if he hadn't had ton of consequential bills passed, defeated covid, reduced Trumpflation, brought back every job Trump lost and more, etc, Biden's term would be considered a smashing success. 

Oh, and he's on pace to increase the debt at a MUCH lower rate than Trump.  Y'all happy that chip manufacturing is being brought back to America?  That we are finally investing in infrastructure?  That insulin prices will be capped?  That corporations will actually have to pay taxes?

Beautiful. 

13 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

Like everyone else, Putin underestimated Biden.  His pulling together our NATO allies and getting them to bear the brunt of the economic hardship has been masterful.  Putin has weakened Russia beyond belief with this folly.  Even if he hadn't had ton of consequential bills passed, defeated covid, reduced Trumpflation, brought back every job Trump lost and more, etc, Biden's term would be considered a smashing success. 

Oh, and he's on pace to increase the debt at a MUCH lower rate than Trump.  Y'all happy that chip manufacturing is being brought back to America?  That we are finally investing in infrastructure?  That insulin prices will be capped?  That corporations will actually have to pay taxes?

Beautiful. 

I don't particularly like him and think he's too damned old to be president, but the dude has garnered lots of bipartisan support - the infrastructure bill and Ukraine to name a couple - and has been a not-bad president. 

Only deluded, ignorant dumbasses would blame him for gas prices, inflation, Ukraine, the economy, etc. 

He's a scrappy old dude who knows how to get sh!t done. He's an exponentially more a class act and less a worldwide embarrassment than Clownzo, who buddies up with Nazi lovers, racists, corrupt people and whomever else licks his poophole and slobs his knob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I don't particularly like him and think he's too damned old to be president, but the dude has garnered lots of bipartisan support - the infrastructure bill and Ukraine to name a couple - and has been a not-bad president. 

Only deluded, ignorant dumbasses would blame him for gas prices, inflation, Ukraine, the economy, etc. 

He's a scrappy old dude who knows how to get sh!t done. He's an exponentially more a class act and less a worldwide embarrassment than Clownzo, who buddies up with Nazi lovers, racists, corrupt people and whomever else licks his poophole and slobs his knob.

All true.  And he's had several meaningful bills passed.  Way more in 2 years than Trump in 4.  And while the border is a disaster and needs to be fixed, and the last days of the withdraw from Afghanistan were too chaotic, and he's clearly lost a bit mentally, he's been excellent so far.  Remember that gas and inflation started rising 3 months into his presidency.  It's legit impossible that anything he did contributed to the rise of inflation.  Now the 2nd covid bill did make it worse, but inflation was going up worldwide thanks to Trump's 4 years. 

Joe's done his job, rid us of Trump.  He needs to not run in 24. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You guys done jerking each other off yet?

Nah, I'm settled in for the nuclear holocaust that has been guaranteed with 100 percent certainty. I bought some extra-thick sunglasses at Dollar General today.

Just because of this, I went out and bought a mallard and a blanket today. 

I'm totally ready to duck and cover. 🦆:banana:

• Haha 1

"Such a threat is growing, it would be wrong to hide it," Putin warned while talking about the prospect of nuclear war via video link from Moscow.

But he asserted that Russia would "under no circumstances" use the weapons first, and would not threaten anyone with its nuclear arsenal.

"We have not gone mad, we are aware of what nuclear weapons are," he said, adding: "We aren't about to run around the world brandishing this weapon like a razor."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63893316

Justin bout the eat his own balls

33 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

"Such a threat is growing, it would be wrong to hide it," Putin warned while talking about the prospect of nuclear war via video link from Moscow.

But he asserted that Russia would "under no circumstances" use the weapons first, and would not threaten anyone with its nuclear arsenal.

"We have not gone mad, we are aware of what nuclear weapons are," he said, adding: "We aren't about to run around the world brandishing this weapon like a razor."

That throws just about every Justin theory out the window.  Putin just said what we have been saying all year.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That throws just about every Justin theory out the window.  Putin just said what we have been saying all year.

Poor Justin. 

Now he is going to have to just sit there and celebrate another holiday season crying into his lunch lady squares pizza. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Poor Justin. 

Now he is going to have to just sit there and celebrate another holiday season crying into his lunch lady squares pizza. 

No, he just has to pray Ukraine nukes Russia first 

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

That’s exactly what someone who was going to launch a surprise nuclear attack would say. 🤔

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

😂

Guess I'll have to toodle down to the Putin Substation and withdraw my submission.

So what doomsday does he pivot to now?

We're pretty much past the pandemic. Civil war ain't happening. Nuclear war ain't happening.

Maybe an asteroid or something?

:dunno:

as Russia faces getting bombed by Ukraine, including perhaps Moscow itself, Russia considers adopting a first-strike nuclear doctrine.

https://apnews.com/article/putin-moscow-strikes-united-states-government-russia-95f1436d23b94fcbc05f1c2242472d5c

Putin says Russia could adopt US preemptive strike concept

December 9, 2022 GMT

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Moscow could adopt what he described as a U.S. concept of using preemptive military strikes, noting it has the weapons to do the job, in a blunt statement amid rising Russia-NATO tensions over Ukraine.

“We are just thinking about it. They weren’t shy to openly talk about it during the past years,” Putin said, referring to the U.S. policy, as he attended a summit in Kyrgyzstan of a Moscow-dominated economic alliance of ex-Soviet nations.

For years, the Kremlin has expressed concern about U.S. efforts to develop the so-called Conventional Prompt Global Strike capability that envisions hitting an adversary’s strategic targets with precision-guided conventional weapons anywhere in the world within one hour.

“Speaking about a disarming strike, maybe it’s worth thinking about adopting the ideas developed by our U.S. counterparts, their ideas of ensuring their security,” Putin said with a thin smile, noting that such a preemptive strike was intended to knock out command facilities.

He claimed that Russia already has commissioned hypersonic weapons capable of carrying out such a strike, while the U.S. hasn’t yet deployed them. He also claimed that Russia now has cruise missiles that surpass their U.S. equivalents.

While Putin appeared to refer to conventional precision-guided weapons when he talked about possibly mimicking the U.S. strategy, he specifically noted that the U.S. hasn’t ruled out the first use of nuclear weapons.

“If the potential adversary believes that it can use the theory of a preemptive strike and we don’t, it makes us think about the threats posed by such ideas in other countries’ defensive posture,” he said.

In Washington, advisers to President Joe Biden viewed Putin’s comments as “saber-rattling” and another veiled warning that he could deploy a tactical nuclear weapon, according to a U.S. official who was not authorized to comment and spoke on the condition of the anonymity.

The official noted that Russian military doctrine has long stated that Moscow reserves the right to first use of a nuclear weapon in response to large scale military aggression.

John Erath, senior policy director for the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation, also viewed Putin’s statement as yet another attempt to raise the nuclear threat.

“He doesn’t quite say we’re going to launch nuclear weapons, but he wants the dialogue in the U.S. and Europe to be, ’The longer this war goes on, the greater the threat of nuclear weapons might be used,’” Erath said.

Putin was asked Wednesday at a Kremlin conference whether Russia could commit to forswearing a first strike and responded that such an obligation might prevent Russia from tapping its nuclear arsenal even if it came under a nuclear attack.

“If it doesn’t use it first under any circumstances, it means that it won’t be the second to use it either, because the possibility of using it in case of a nuclear strike on our territory will be sharply limited,” he responded.

He elaborated on that answer Friday, saying Russia’s nuclear doctrine is based on the “launch on warning” concept, which envisions nuclear weapons’ use in the face of an imminent nuclear attack spotted by its early warning systems.

“When the early warning system receives a signal about a missile attack, we launch hundreds of missiles that are impossible to stop,” he said, smiling. “Enemy missile warheads would inevitably reach the territory of the Russian Federation. But nothing would be left of the enemy too, because it’s impossible to intercept hundreds of missiles. And this, of course, is a factor of deterrence.”

Russia’s nuclear doctrine states the country can use nuclear weapons if it comes under a nuclear strike or if it faces an attack with conventional weapons that threatens “the very existence” of the Russian state.

Since sending Russian troops into Ukraine in February, Putin has repeatedly said that Moscow was ready to use “all available means” to protect its territory and has rejected Western criticism of nuclear saber-rattling.

“I understand that ever since nuclear weapons, the weapons of mass destruction have appeared, all people — the entirety of humankind — have been worried what will happen to the planet and all of us,” he said.

Speaking Friday at U.S. Strategic Command, which has responsibility for the nation’s nuclear weapons, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Putin’s repeated threats were irresponsible.

“As the Kremlin continues its cruel and unprovoked war of choice against Ukraine, the whole world has seen Putin engage in deeply irresponsible nuclear saber-rattling,” he said in a reference to Putin’s earlier nuclear threats without addressing his latest remarks. “So make no mistake, nuclear powers have a profound responsibility to avoid provocative behavior and to lower the risk of proliferation and to prevent escalation and nuclear war.”

—-

Aamer Madhani and Tara Copp in Washington contributed.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:36 AM, Hawkeye21 said:

This seems pretty unrealistic but just imagine if it's accurate.

Maybe he'll want to rent a house in China with really nice weather.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

as Russia faces getting bombed by Ukraine, including perhaps Moscow itself, Russia considers adopting a first-strike nuclear doctrine.

https://apnews.com/article/putin-moscow-strikes-united-states-government-russia-95f1436d23b94fcbc05f1c2242472d5c

Putin says Russia could adopt US preemptive strike concept

December 9, 2022 GMT

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Moscow could adopt what he described as a U.S. concept of using preemptive military strikes, noting it has the weapons to do the job, in a blunt statement amid rising Russia-NATO tensions over Ukraine.

“We are just thinking about it. They weren’t shy to openly talk about it during the past years,” Putin said, referring to the U.S. policy, as he attended a summit in Kyrgyzstan of a Moscow-dominated economic alliance of ex-Soviet nations.

For years, the Kremlin has expressed concern about U.S. efforts to develop the so-called Conventional Prompt Global Strike capability that envisions hitting an adversary’s strategic targets with precision-guided conventional weapons anywhere in the world within one hour.

“Speaking about a disarming strike, maybe it’s worth thinking about adopting the ideas developed by our U.S. counterparts, their ideas of ensuring their security,” Putin said with a thin smile, noting that such a preemptive strike was intended to knock out command facilities.

He claimed that Russia already has commissioned hypersonic weapons capable of carrying out such a strike, while the U.S. hasn’t yet deployed them. He also claimed that Russia now has cruise missiles that surpass their U.S. equivalents.

While Putin appeared to refer to conventional precision-guided weapons when he talked about possibly mimicking the U.S. strategy, he specifically noted that the U.S. hasn’t ruled out the first use of nuclear weapons.

“If the potential adversary believes that it can use the theory of a preemptive strike and we don’t, it makes us think about the threats posed by such ideas in other countries’ defensive posture,” he said.

In Washington, advisers to President Joe Biden viewed Putin’s comments as “saber-rattling” and another veiled warning that he could deploy a tactical nuclear weapon, according to a U.S. official who was not authorized to comment and spoke on the condition of the anonymity.

The official noted that Russian military doctrine has long stated that Moscow reserves the right to first use of a nuclear weapon in response to large scale military aggression.

John Erath, senior policy director for the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation, also viewed Putin’s statement as yet another attempt to raise the nuclear threat.

“He doesn’t quite say we’re going to launch nuclear weapons, but he wants the dialogue in the U.S. and Europe to be, ’The longer this war goes on, the greater the threat of nuclear weapons might be used,’” Erath said.

Putin was asked Wednesday at a Kremlin conference whether Russia could commit to forswearing a first strike and responded that such an obligation might prevent Russia from tapping its nuclear arsenal even if it came under a nuclear attack.

“If it doesn’t use it first under any circumstances, it means that it won’t be the second to use it either, because the possibility of using it in case of a nuclear strike on our territory will be sharply limited,” he responded.

He elaborated on that answer Friday, saying Russia’s nuclear doctrine is based on the “launch on warning” concept, which envisions nuclear weapons’ use in the face of an imminent nuclear attack spotted by its early warning systems.

“When the early warning system receives a signal about a missile attack, we launch hundreds of missiles that are impossible to stop,” he said, smiling. “Enemy missile warheads would inevitably reach the territory of the Russian Federation. But nothing would be left of the enemy too, because it’s impossible to intercept hundreds of missiles. And this, of course, is a factor of deterrence.”

Russia’s nuclear doctrine states the country can use nuclear weapons if it comes under a nuclear strike or if it faces an attack with conventional weapons that threatens “the very existence” of the Russian state.

Since sending Russian troops into Ukraine in February, Putin has repeatedly said that Moscow was ready to use “all available means” to protect its territory and has rejected Western criticism of nuclear saber-rattling.

“I understand that ever since nuclear weapons, the weapons of mass destruction have appeared, all people — the entirety of humankind — have been worried what will happen to the planet and all of us,” he said.

Speaking Friday at U.S. Strategic Command, which has responsibility for the nation’s nuclear weapons, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Putin’s repeated threats were irresponsible.

“As the Kremlin continues its cruel and unprovoked war of choice against Ukraine, the whole world has seen Putin engage in deeply irresponsible nuclear saber-rattling,” he said in a reference to Putin’s earlier nuclear threats without addressing his latest remarks. “So make no mistake, nuclear powers have a profound responsibility to avoid provocative behavior and to lower the risk of proliferation and to prevent escalation and nuclear war.”

—-

Aamer Madhani and Tara Copp in Washington contributed.

We're not going to nuclear war.

Your predictions will not come true.

Come 12:01 Jan. 1, 2023, you will be exposed as the liar and fraud that you are.

https://w2.countingdownto.com/4328562

The US has given the go-ahead to launch drone strikes into Russia.  Biden is wildly and irresponsibly gambling with our lives and the planet that Russia won't nuke in retaliation.  Its a losing bet.  Russia is going to lose if it doesn't nuke.  Russia is furiously building nuclear bunkers. 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/putins-henchmen-warn-ukraine-conflict-28709322

Putin's henchmen warn Ukraine conflict could turn into 'all-out nuclear war'

The henchmen have issued a stark warning that 'mad vlad' Putin is 'playing with fire' and his actions could lead to a "full-scale nuclear war" between Russia and the rest of Nato

By Liz Perkins 22:51, 11 DEC 2022 Updated 10:29, 12 DEC 2022

Mad Vlad Putin’s henchmen have fired a warning shot that the Ukraine conflict could turn into a “full-scale nuclear war.”

They made the stark comments after the US gave the go-ahead for Kyiv to kick off drone strikes into Russia.

America had warned against the move over fears that it would spark the war spreading between Russia and Nato.

READ MORE: Warmongering Kremlin offers 'unprecedented military support' to Iran and North Korea

One source in Putin’s circle said: “This is playing with fire, risking full-scale war which could easily go nuclear.”

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

The US has given the go-ahead to launch drone strikes into Russia.  Biden is wildly and irresponsibly gambling with our lives and the planet that Russia won't nuke in retaliation.  Its a losing bet.  Russia is going to lose if it doesn't nuke.  Russia is furiously building nuclear bunkers. 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/putins-henchmen-warn-ukraine-conflict-28709322

Putin's henchmen warn Ukraine conflict could turn into 'all-out nuclear war'

The henchmen have issued a stark warning that 'mad vlad' Putin is 'playing with fire' and his actions could lead to a "full-scale nuclear war" between Russia and the rest of Nato

By Liz Perkins 22:51, 11 DEC 2022 Updated 10:29, 12 DEC 2022

Mad Vlad Putin’s henchmen have fired a warning shot that the Ukraine conflict could turn into a “full-scale nuclear war.”

They made the stark comments after the US gave the go-ahead for Kyiv to kick off drone strikes into Russia.

America had warned against the move over fears that it would spark the war spreading between Russia and Nato.

READ MORE: Warmongering Kremlin offers 'unprecedented military support' to Iran and North Korea

One source in Putin’s circle said: “This is playing with fire, risking full-scale war which could easily go nuclear.”

A British tabloid.

😂

16 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

A British tabloid.

😂

notice how rusty / pimp STILL refuses to criticize biden for warning of nuclear war.  he simply ignores the fact that biden did that, waits several weeks in the hopes that everyone forgets, then goes on the attack on me.  thats how you know this isnt about nuclear war at all. hes just trolling.

Russia just set a nuclear missile on a launchpad and could be preparing some testing.  With Strategic Missiles Forces Day coming on December 17th, they may even conduct a nuclear test.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6911324/putin-readies-nuke-launch-missile/

NUKE THREAT

Putin ‘readies nuke missile for LAUNCH’ as Yars rocket able to strike UK and US is locked and loaded in silo near Moscow

Will Stewart

Tariq Tahir

Published: 2:29 ET, Dec 14 2022

Updated: 7:27 ET, Dec 14 2022

VLADIMIR Putin has renewed his nuke threat against the West by appearing to ready a nuclear missile for launch.

Footage shows a huge Russian Yars rocket able to hit the UK and the US being loaded into a silo at a base near Moscow.

The intercontinental ballistic missile has a 7,500 mile range and when nuclear-armed is reportedly 12 times more destructive than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

It was seen in Russian propaganda being installed in a launch-pad using a special transport and loading unit - but there is no indication of any order for an imminent launch.

Putin was seen in late October overseeing the launch of a similar Yars nuclear missile on a mock attack on the West amid high tension in the war with Ukraine. 

In the drills, Russia reportedly practised its response to a Western nuclear attack and were aimed at targeting the UK and US. 

Fears are have been raised that the 70-year-old tyrant could detonate a nuke as his forces face mounting loses in the disastrous Ukraine war.

Russia is building up to more nuclear showboating as it marks the annual Strategic Missile Forces Day on 17 December. 

Missile force commander Colonel Alexei Sokolov made clear the latest exercise was aimed at sending a message to the West, with both the UK and US within range. 

“The importance of this operation lies in the fact that the missile will be put on combat duty on schedule,” he said. 

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-missile-yars-icbm-hiroshima-bomb-1766933

Russia Primes Nuclear Bomb 12 Times More Powerful Than Dropped on Hiroshima

By Brendan Cole On 12/14/22 at 4:57 AM EST

Video of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on a silo launcher has been released by Russia's defense ministry and widely reported by the country's media in an apparent warning to the West.

Russian tabloid newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda reported that the Yars missile complex, which was loaded in the Kaluga region, had a capacity "12 times greater than the American bomb that destroyed Hiroshima"—referring to the atomic weapon dropped on the Japanese city on August 6, 1945.

The mass circulation paper's report outlined some of the missile's specifications, which include a launch weight of 46,000 tons, an operational range of up to 12,000 kilometers (7,456 miles) that can strike the U.S. or anywhere in Europe, and a payload of up to 500 kilotons.

The operation was in the lead-up to Russia's annual Strategic Missile Forces Day which will be marked on Saturday, 17 December. "The importance of this operation lies in the fact that the next missile will be on combat duty as planned," Alexei Sokolov, commander of the Kozelsky missile formation said.

"The motherland will receive another sample of nuclear missile weapons, which will allow us to solve any tasks at the strategic level," he added, according to the state-owned Tass news agency.

Vadim Vyazovsky, an engineer quoted by the outlet, said, "I am proud of Russia that my country puts into service such products that the motherland can sleep peacefully."

The Yars was on display in October during military drills of Russia's strategic nuclear forces overseen by Vladimir Putin. The exercises prompted Kremlin propagandist, Igor Korotchenko, to say on the channel Russia-1 how it is "very important that we've demonstrated who our main adversary is and what awaits him."

It comes amid growing tensions in world capitals about Russia's nuclear capabilities, as Putin faces setbacks in his full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

As an ICBM, the Yars is not a tactical nuclear weapon and analysts doubt that resorting to unconventional warfare would deliver Russia any military advantage.

However, Russian media have been pushing claims about its atomic capabilities. Alexander Khodakovsky, the commander of Russia's Donetsk militia, told state television this week that nuclear weapons were one way Russia could win the war.

The US wants to supply Ukraine with Patriot misile systems.  Russia declares doing so is a red line and will kill Americans involved in establishing them.  US barks back in defiance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-warns-consequences-us-missiles-131340648.html

Russia: US air defense systems could be targets in Ukraine

JAMEY KEATEN

Thu, December 15, 2022 at 5:13 AM

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Russia's Foreign Ministry warned Thursday that if the U.S. delivers sophisticated air defense systems to Ukraine, those systems and any crews that accompany them would be a “legitimate target” for the Russian military, a blunt threat that was quickly rejected by Washington.

The exchange of statements reflected soaring Russia-U.S. tensions amid the fighting in Ukraine, which is now in its 10th month.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the U.S. had “effectively become a party” to the war by providing Ukraine with weapons and training its troops. She added that if reports about U.S. intentions to provide Kyiv with Patriot surface-to-air missile system prove true, it would become “another provocative move by the U.S.” and broaden its involvement in the hostilities, "entailing possible consequences.”

“Any weapons systems supplied to Ukraine, including the Patriot, along with the personnel servicing them, have been and will remain legitimate priority targets for the Russian armed forces,” Zakharova declared.

Asked about the Russian warning, Pentagon spokesman Air Force Gen. Pat Ryder responded that the U.S. was "not going to allow comments from Russia to dictate the security assistance that we provide to Ukraine.”

“I find it ironic and very telling that officials from a country that brutally attacked its neighbor — in an illegal and unprovoked invasion, through a campaign that is deliberately targeting and killing innocent civilians and destroying civilian infrastructure — that they would choose to use words like ‘provocative’ to describe defensive systems that are meant to save lives and protect civilians,” Ryder said.

U.S. officials said Tuesday that Washington was poised to approve sending a Patriot missile battery to Ukraine, finally agreeing to an urgent request from Ukrainian leaders desperate for more robust weapons to shoot down incoming Russian missiles that have crippled much of the country's vital infrastructure. An official announcement is expected soon.

Operating and maintaining a Patriot battery requires as many as 90 troops, and for months the U.S. has been reluctant to provide the complex system because sending American forces into Ukraine to run the systems is a nonstarter for the administration of President Joe Biden.

Even without the presence of U.S. service members to train Ukrainians on use of the system, concerns remain that deployment of the missiles could provoke Russia or risk that a fired projectile could hit inside Russia and further escalate the conflict.

Russia has repeatedly claimed that its forces struck Western-supplied weapons in Ukraine, but those statements have been impossible to independently verify.

Ukraine has so far been cautious in reacting to the reports.

Hanna Maliar, Ukraine’s deputy defense minister, told reporters Thursday in Kyiv that the delivery of such weaponry remains “sensitive not only for Ukraine, but for our partners,” and that only President Volodymyr Zelenskyy or Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov would make any official announcement on such an agreement.

White House and Pentagon leaders have said consistently that providing Ukraine with additional air defenses is a priority, and Patriot missiles have been under consideration for some time. As the winter closed in and the Russian bombardment of civilian infrastructure escalated, official said, the idea became a higher priority.

Until now, the U.S. and other NATO allies have provided Ukraine with short- and medium-range air defense systems that can down Russian aircraft and drones but not ballistic and cruise missiles.

Ukraine's electricity provider said Thursday that the country’s energy system had a “significant deficit of electricity,” and that emergency shutdowns had been applied in some areas as temperatures hover around or below freezing.

The state-owned grid operator Ukrenergo warned in a statement on Facebook that damage caused to energy infrastructure by Russian attacks is being compounded by harsh weather, including snow, ice and strong winds.

The southern Ukrainian city of Kherson was left completely without power following Russian shelling on Thursday, according to Kyrylo Tymoshenko, deputy head of the Ukrainian president’s office, who wrote on Telegram. He added that two people were killed in the attacks.

Heavy shelling of the city’s Korabelny district was still underway in the afternoon, and Russian shells hit 100 meters (yards) from the regional administration building, he said.

Amid the infrastructure attacks and power outages across the country, seven civilians were killed and 19 wounded on Wednesday and Thursday, according to a report issued by the Ukrainian president's office.

The head of Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk province, Pavlo Kyrylenko, reported that Russian strikes the previous day had killed two civilians and wounded seven.

Kremlin-backed authorities in the region, which was illegally annexed by Moscow in September, announced that Russia had taken control of 80% of the city of Marinka, seen as critical to Ukrainian hopes of retaking the Russian-held regional capital, Donetsk.

The Moscow-installed mayor of Donetsk, Aleksei Kulemzin, said Thursday that the city center had been hit by “the most massive strike” since the area came under the control of Russian-backed separatists in 2014.

Writing on Telegram, Kulemzin said 40 Ukrainian rockets struck Donetsk on Thursday morning, noting that multistory residential buildings were hit and that fires broke out at a hospital and university campus.

Elsewhere, Ukrainian forces shelled Russia’s western Kursk province, according to regional Gov. Roman Starovoyt. Six shells reportedly struck a farm in the province’s Belovsky district, which borders Ukraine’s Sumy province. There were no casualties, Starovoyt wrote on Telegram.

In other developments Thursday:

— The European Union said it approved a new package of sanctions aimed at ramping up pressure on Russia for the war. The package was approved after days of deliberations during a meeting of the 27-nation bloc’s ambassadors.

— Russia continued to build up its military presence in Belarus, a senior Ukrainian military official said. According to Brig. Gen. Oleksiy Hromov, Russian units “are undergoing training and combat coordination” in Belarus, with the Kremlin using Belarusian officers and training grounds to improve the combat capability of existing units, as well as to train newly created units.

Speaking at a press briefing, Hromov said the probability of a Russian offensive from Belarus “remains low,” but he highlighted that the transfer of Russian weapons to Belarus is ongoing, including three hypersonic missile-carrying aircraft, a set of tanks and a long-range radar-detection aircraft.

— Russia's Foreign Ministry said the Vatican has apologized for a statement Pope Francis made in a recent interview in which he singled out two Russian ethnic minorities — the Chechens and the Buryats — as being “the most cruel” participants in the war in Ukraine.

At a briefing, Zakharova quoted from what she said was a message from the Vatican that “apologizes to the Russian side” for the pope's comments. Zakharova praised the message, saying that it showed the Vatican’s “ability to conduct dialogue and listen to interlocutors.” A Vatican spokesman would say only that there had been diplomatic contacts on the matter.

been saying this from the start.......

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-commander-alexander-khodakovsky-suggests-nukes-only-option-win-ukraine-war-1766882

Russian Commander Suggests Nukes as 'Only' Option to Win War

BY ANDREW STANTON ON 12/13/22 AT 4:15 PM EST

A Russian commander suggested that using nuclear weapons may be the only way Russia can be victorious in its war against Ukraine.

The remarks come more than nine months after Russian President Vladimir Putin launched the Ukraine invasion in February, hoping for a quick win against his Eastern European neighbor.

However, Ukraine's spirited defense efforts, bolstered by Western humanitarian and military aid, have blunted Moscow's military gains. Putin's troops continue to struggle to achieve substantial goals.

Throughout the tense conflict, concerns have emerged about whether Putin would order the use of nuclear weapons if he feels he has no other way to win the war or if the war grows into a greater conflict with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

Alexander Khodakovsky, the commander of Russia's Donetsk militia, pointed to nuclear weapons as one way Russia could win the war during an appearance on state TV. Video of his appearance was translated and posted to Twitter by BBC reporter Francis Scarr.

He said Russian military authorities realize their resources "have their limits," suggesting they may have to turn to nuclear weapons to defeat Ukraine.

"Everyone realizes that the next spiral of escalation can only be the nuclear stage of war," Khodakovsky said.

Russia could deploy nuclear weapons if NATO crosses "certain boundaries" and becomes "directly involved" in the military conflict, Khodakovsky said. So far, the West has limited its involvement in the war to supplying Ukraine humanitarian and military support, as sending troops would likely lead to an escalation of the war.

He admitted that Russia lacks the ability to combat against the entirety of NATO using conventional weapons.

Ex-Russia FSB Igor Girkin says Russia is being too soft and should nuke Ukraine as part of building up support for nuking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/igor-girkin-says-russia-should-use-tactical-nuclear-weapons-on-nato-members/ar-AA15usn5

Igor Girkin Says Russia Should Use Tactical Nuclear Weapons on NATO Members

Story by Brendan Cole • 5h ago

A prominent Russian military blogger critical of Moscow's war effort has said that tactical nuclear weapons should be used in the conflict—but against NATO and not Ukraine.

Igor Girkin made the comments at the end of an interview on the YouTube channel of Russian businessman Andrei Kovalyov, during which he anticipated a swift response if such weapons were used.

Girkin, who is also known as Igor Strelkov, was a former agent with Russia's FSB security services and played a key role in Moscow's annexation of Crimea in 2014.

Girkin has candidly criticized the way that Russian forces have fought in Ukraine, repeatedly outlining mistakes made in tactics and mobilization. Last week, he said that Ukraine had already dealt Russia a "strategic defeat."

At the end of an interview that lasted more than one hour and 20 minutes, Girkin was asked about the prospect of nuclear weapons being used in the war.

"I believe that it we use nuclear weapons first, we will soon get a retaliatory strike," he said. "I believe that we should use tactical nuclear weapons."

He added that he was not concerned about "the moral aspect" of such a move, "because to hit our territory, Russian territory from Ukrainian territory, with nuclear weapons, or even to plan it, is a crime."

But, he said that "we can hit only if we go to war with NATO," and that it is "not Ukraine that should be hit by NATO countries if they launch aggression."