ICEMAN

Your teams offseason hopes.

With Christian Kirk signing the deal he did, I think Tampa needs to use their 1st pick on a WR.  I can't see a justification for paying a WR $25M per year.  Gotta let Godwin walk after the season.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

With Christian Kirk signing the deal he did, I think Tampa needs to use their 1st pick on a WR.  I can't see a justification for paying a WR $25M per year.  Gotta let Godwin walk after the season.

yeah, that contract may have screwed up the market.   It is questionable if hes even a true #1 WR.   I truly think they will regret that signing.   but Godwin will be asking for a whole lot more unless he feels winning is more important than money.  

It could happen.

not sure I'd bet on it.   but Brady seems to make people want to play in Tampa just like he made people want to play in New England.

when that happens the market becomes a bit less relevant than it would otherwise be on(for example) a non contending team.

And Z Jones is now making 8 million a season, in five seasons he’s never had more then 650 yards.  

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, that contract may have screwed up the market.   It is questionable if hes even a true #1 WR.   I truly think they will regret that signing.   but Godwin will be asking for a whole lot more unless he feels winning is more important than money.  

It could happen.

not sure I'd bet on it.   but Brady seems to make people want to play in Tampa just like he made people want to play in New England.

when that happens the market becomes a bit less relevant than it would otherwise be on(for example) a non contending team.

I'm not so much worried about this year, it's next year that I'm worried about.  I think it's in Godwin's best interest to play this year under the franchise tag and prove to everyone he's healthy.  If he does that, he's easily going to command $25M per year and with all the money the Bucs are kicking down the road, that kind of money will just make it worse.  From what I hear, this is a very good and very deep draft class for WR's.  One guy that I've seen as ranked between 25-30 (among all prospects), was Olave from Ohio St.  I've heard a lot about that kid and all of it good.  Now, he is 6'1 and the Bucs like tall guys like Evans and Godwin, so they may pass on him.  Another guy that I saw who was rated a spot or two behind Olave was the 6'3 kid from Arkansas.

I've mentioned it in the past, that I don't follow college football, so I only have a passing knowledge of these guys, but I usually wait until about April to really start reading up on prospects.  Even then, I usually only look at positions that the Bucs need.

After this season plays out, I can see teams like Jacksonville, Vegas, Cleveland, New England (I know!), Chicago, Detroit, Giants, and Redskins all possibly looking to add a top tier WR1 and really driving Godwin's price up.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not so much worried about this year, it's next year that I'm worried about.  I think it's in Godwin's best interest to play this year under the franchise tag and prove to everyone he's healthy.  If he does that, he's easily going to command $25M per year and with all the money the Bucs are kicking down the road, that kind of money will just make it worse.  From what I hear, this is a very good and very deep draft class for WR's.  One guy that I've seen as ranked between 25-30 (among all prospects), was Olave from Ohio St.  I've heard a lot about that kid and all of it good.  Now, he is 6'1 and the Bucs like tall guys like Evans and Godwin, so they may pass on him.  Another guy that I saw who was rated a spot or two behind Olave was the 6'3 kid from Arkansas.

I've mentioned it in the past, that I don't follow college football, so I only have a passing knowledge of these guys, but I usually wait until about April to really start reading up on prospects.  Even then, I usually only look at positions that the Bucs need.

After this season plays out, I can see teams like Jacksonville, Vegas, Cleveland, New England (I know!), Chicago, Detroit, Giants, and Redskins all possibly looking to add a top tier WR1 and really driving Godwin's price up.

yeah, its tough to pony up that kind of cash for a player who is coming off a big injury.

but a one year deal is one where you can swallow it if hes not that good and it wont screw up future years.

but assuming you are correct and its a deep draft for WR prospects then that would be the logical choice for Tampa.  Franchise Godwin, draft someone late in the first or early in the second and by the time Godwin is leaving his replacement has a year of experience and is mostly good to go. (hopefully)

Like you, I usually dont go looking at scouting reports until a month or so prior to draft so I dont have anything useful to add in terms of WR's they should be looking at.

I have heard others say its a good year for WR too.      nice thing about a year like this, you can sometimes get a better WR in round 2 than you'd get in round 1 some years.   so a patient team can afford to wait a bit.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

It could happen.

He’s definitely not a #1 and it’s not even likely he’s a #2. Spent all his time in Arizona as a #3 and usually pushed for that spot even. Arizona wanted him to break through but he just never really did.

I guess it’s possible he just needed to go somewhere else, but that’s a heck of a gamble

54 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

He’s definitely not a #1 and it’s not even likely he’s a #2. Spent all his time in Arizona as a #3 and usually pushed for that spot even. Arizona wanted him to break through but he just never really did.

I guess it’s possible he just needed to go somewhere else, but that’s a heck of a gamble

yeah, and one they could have done for a few million dollars less.   I suppose there must have been a bidding war, but I cant see getting into a bidding war over him.   hes okay, but you dont break the bank for a player like him.    you just dont.