Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Colts trade Carson Wentz to Commanders

The Comanches must be in really desperate to roll the dice, and give up 2 3rds, for that turd sandwich…

As a Skins/Commanders fan, I’m on the fence.  27 TD’s & 7 INT’s isn’t trash.  Feel like the Colts don’t make this move if he hadn’t choked the Jags game/playoff spot away.

1 hour ago, makindollaz said:

As a Skins/Commanders fan, I’m on the fence.  27 TD’s & 7 INT’s isn’t trash.  Feel like the Colts don’t make this move if he hadn’t choked the Jags game/playoff spot away.

The stats weren’t bad. But Indy doesn’t do this trade if they thought he was any good.

28 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The stats weren’t bad. But Indy doesn’t do this trade if they thought he was any good.

I think the Colts found out that their defense needs a lot of work and the WR corp needs a massive upgrade.  Whether they thought Wentz was any good or not, he's better than everyone else that's available.  They're better off with him than without him.  They only reason to trade him is if you think you're more than 2 years away from winning.  Wentz isn't young.  He's going into his age 30 season and he has 3 years left on his deal.  By the time they fix the defense and upgrade their WR corp, you're looking at a 32 year old Wentz heading into a contract season.  On top of that, they had no first round pick this year.

Wentz is a pretty decent QB, but he's not a game changer.  That's a guy who will get you 7 to 10 wins a season and prevent you from being a contender (if you don't have the right pieces around him), or a top 5 draft pick (because he doesn't suck).  That will just delay their progress.  It's clear that the Colts aren't looking to be very good this season because they have no QB, they have no options other than the draft, and even in the draft, they don't have a pick until #42.  Honestly, if they're smart, they trade Jonathan Taylor too.  Like I said, they're at least 2 years, probably 3... considering they won't have a (potential), franchise QB until next years draft.  Taylor only has 2 years left on his deal.  He's coming off an amazing season where he probably won't do much better, in fact, he'll probably be worse depending on who the QB is. 

Taylor's value is probably the highest it'll ever be, from a trade perspective.  I think they could get a great return for him.  They'll never be a winner while he's on the team, so they may as well get what they can for him.  If I had to guess, I'd wager that a team like the Eagles (who have 3 #1's... including the Colts' pick), Arizona (who's RB's are both UFA's), the Chiefs who have a bunch of mediocre backs, and possibly the Dolphins, would all be willing to part with a first round pick and a 2nd to have 2 years with guy like him for pennies on the dollar.  The Colts will have a top 5 pick next year, they're probably the front runner for the #1 pick along with the Jets and Jags who drafted busts last year in the first round.  Might as well start now rebuilding.

Interesting reading about Wentz relationship with the Colts from day one. 

Looks like there was a lot of personal problems.  

I think the Skins made a bad move.  

I was hoping that the Colts would release him.  I'd have like to have had Wentz in Tampa.  Can't afford his cap number though.