WhiteWonder

2022 Season / Draft Discussion

Needed this get right week. Sorry it has to come at the expense of the wretched rangers. 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Needed this get right week. Sorry it has to come at the expense of the wretched rangers. 

I'm really good at boosting confidence of opposing teams.

6 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

😴

I sent BC an e-mail through the yahoo league as well. I think once we get his attention, everyone else has checked in here within the past few hours. 

I don't want anyone to feel we have to rattle off picks but also don't want to just be stagnant. 

31 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I sent BC an e-mail through the yahoo league as well. I think once we get his attention, everyone else has checked in here within the past few hours. 

I don't want anyone to feel we have to rattle off picks but also don't want to just be stagnant. 

I'll send him a FB messenger as well. I think I have him.
I certainly didn't take BPA but I traded up to ensure I got where I thought my team needed the most help.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, BlackClouds said:

1 game winning streak. Angels are en fuego!

hello!

at some point we will have to skip so if anyone has any other ideas for reaching out to BC, please do. I hate to skip because its not like he is an inactive owner....

We have to do something.  I'm all for giving anyone a chance, but we're going on 6 hours now.  And it's not like the Angels having one of first 3 or 4 picks in the draft is a surprise to anyone.  He checked his roster at 8am (my time) yesterday morning so he's been around.

40 minutes ago, Burt said:

We have to do something.  I'm all for giving anyone a chance, but we're going on 6 hours now.  And it's not like the Angels having one of first 3 or 4 picks in the draft is a surprise to anyone.  He checked his roster at 8am (my time) yesterday morning so he's been around.

That’s kind of the reason I hate to skip him. He was last at FFT June 11th. But keeping up to date with his team. If he’s been absent from there for a week I’d be more inclined to move on. 

8pm eastern we call it and skip?

@BlackClouds we will give you until 8pm eastern. Then we will move on to @ZeroTolerance

🤷🏻‍♂️

heading to bed. at least we got started :lol:

I think we should have no issues finishing this today. I know everyone has been here (or in dcb's case knows the draft has started) so I would be inclined to skip someone, if needed, after 3 hours or so.

Going catcher with my 1st supplemental is not ideal but my starting catcher Andrew Knizinger  has 1 HR and 17 RBI.    My other catchers are much worse.  

@Burt  nice pick.  I really wanted to take Jazz for the wow factor but couldn't pass up strengthening my pitching with other hitting depth available. 

21 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

@Burt  nice pick.  I really wanted to take Jazz for the wow factor but couldn't pass up strengthening my pitching with other hitting depth available. 

With Albies being out another few weeks at a minimum, I was very happy to have him on the board when my pick rolled around. 

Nice pick bbascom pretty sure you sniped the Mets there. 👍🏼

im about to get on the road if someone can update the thread, etc. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Nice pick bbascom pretty sure you sniped the Mets there. 👍🏼

im about to get on the road if someone can update the thread, etc. 

Thanks... I was going back and forth with adding him or Blackmon for more OF help. Either one helps though. 

I'm gambling on health but I'm not inspired by many picks left for what I could use.

Sorry, I just could not make a decision.  And I probably chose wrong when I finally did decide.  I waffled back and forth all morning between four different players.  I ultimately decided on Varsho because he can play both OF and C.  If Realmuto ever goes down, I'd only have Contreras left and he's only playing 40-45% of the time.  At least Varsho can still play in the OF on many of the days the Braves have off.

@cmh6476 can pick anytime until games start tomorrow. After that I’m saying the pick is perma skipped. 

other than that the draft has concluded. 

good job. Some strong additions 

• Like 1

players I was surprised did not get picked in the supplemental

Tyler Anderson, SP, LAD - not great K stuff but wins and QS on a winning team

Christian Javier, SP, HOU - elite K stuff, lower wins and QS but also on a winning team

Giancarlo Stanton, OF, NYY - figured someone would take him for the homers. I almost did myself in round 2... not really sure why I picked Vaughn instead. I guess the dual position and the odd fact that Stanton hits no doubles (a category I am weak in)

Rhys Hoskins, 1B, PHI - I guess 1B is pretty deep overall and not needed for most

Willson Contreras, C, CHC - gotta be traded right? I strongly considered him as well in round 2 but reasoned that I could squeeze enough production out of my current catcher rotation.

41 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Christian Javier, SP, HOU - elite K stuff, lower wins and QS but also on a winning team

Giancarlo Stanton, OF, NYY - figured someone would take him for the homers. I almost did myself in round 2... not really sure why I picked Vaughn instead. I guess the dual position and the odd fact that Stanton hits no doubles (a category I am weak in)

Rhys Hoskins, 1B, PHI - I guess 1B is pretty deep overall and not needed for most

Willson Contreras, C, CHC - gotta be traded right? I strongly considered him as well in round 2 but reasoned that I could squeeze enough production out of my current catcher rotation.

Wuz definitely considering all starters including the two you listed.  Would you have taken either over Cease or Pablo Lopez?  🤔

Just now, Mookz said:

Wuz definitely considering all starters including the two you listed.  Would you have taken either over Cease or Pablo Lopez?  🤔

Cease was in my top 4... my top 4 were

1. Julio Rodriguez.... only hitter I would have passed on my top pitchers for

2. Framber Valdez.... Quality Start machine on a winning team

3. Dylan Cease.... strikeouts, which my team ranks near the bottom in despite having McClanahan and Burnes, and I think CWS will play better this half. 

4. Carlos Rodon.... seemed to have the best blend of all the stats I needed... wins, K's and QS

5 was Jazz Chisholm. I just like him and he has decent power. I could have moved Brandon Lowe to OF. 

Pablo is right there with Anderson and Javier. Probably more talented than Anderson and more consistent than Javier. My main issue with Pablo is 6 wins in 18 starts on a middling Marlins team.  Javier has 6 wins but better strikeout stuff and on a better team. All three are really a tossup and part of the reason I opted to get my SP in round 1.  (I know you took 2... I think you did well and you've been on a mini tear :thumbsup:)

Not that anyone cares my strategy but I considered offering baby bro Rodon for picks 1.12 and 2.12 if Jazz made it to 1.12.   Figured I could end up with Jazz, a SP at 2.07  and probably Vaughn at 2.12

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

These were two of the three I was waffling between with my last pick.  Clay Holmes was the third.  

13 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

The lack of production from Stanton on anything but HR and RBI scared me away.   6 doubles???   How is that even possible.  

I almost pulled the trigger on Hoskins with my second pick.   I have so many eligible players at 1B though and Goldy isn’t sitting.   

hate that I went catcher and set up guy with both my picks but that is where I needed stats the most.   Devin Williams is a holds machine and if Hader gets injured he steps into the closer role.  

really needed OF help but no one left was much better than the guys I have been trotting out there.  Almost took a flyer on Eloy but he is no sure thing to return before the season is over with the latest set back. 

I was seriously looking at Stanton as well with my second pick but went with the more robust category filler in Yelich.  Both have injury risk.

Would have loved to take Cease but the lack of innings and CS kept me from pulling a trigger as I moved up.  Knew I needed a SP and while Kershaw is getting older, if he keeps pitching like he has so far and can, he's worth that.  Was going to take Rodon with that first pick when I made the trade but the blister/nail issues, as little as it should be, scared me.

Julio was too good to pass up considering how awful the Tigers' offense has been (and the very underwhelming performances by Castellanos and Martinez), otherwise Rodon was my top starting pitcher choice. Was hoping to get a starter in the 2nd round but I wasn't impressed with what was left.

Well, I pretty much wasted a supplemental pick.  They've had 2+ weeks to look at his back and wait until the All-Star break to finally do it?  No wonder the Marlins suck!

Just saw that

It is currently 25-3, Toronto up on Boston. I've seen this one before...as soon as they get to 28-3, they are f*cked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Not that anyone cares my strategy but I considered offering baby bro Rodon for picks 1.12 and 2.12 if Jazz made it to 1.12.   Figured I could end up with Jazz, a SP at 2.07  and probably Vaughn at 2.12

I would have taken that trade, no questions asked. Good thing for you, he didn't last one more pick 😂

I was just after pitching depth. Figure I have enough exclusive hitters to cover some injuries if they creep up. Logan Gilbert was behind a number of guys on my list but I figured a lot of people would be drafting pitchers. I didn't even consider Kershaw because of age and injury history already missing several starts. Assuming guys like Rodon, Cease, Valdez and Gonsolin would be gone, I was actually hoping for Luis Castillo. No such luck. Gilbert works fine.

I was sniped again in round 2. Michael King felt like someone I could plug into a SP slot on days when I had 1 or less starters going and snag some extra holds. A luxury pick for sure. I think there are 2-3 other guys who fit that same profile, a poor mans King, but I was a little busy and just went with the obvious and took Holmes. 

1 hour ago, dcb291 said:

I was just after pitching depth. Figure I have enough exclusive hitters to cover some injuries if they creep up. Logan Gilbert was behind a number of guys on my list but I figured a lot of people would be drafting pitchers. I didn't even consider Kershaw because of age and injury history already missing several starts. Assuming guys like Rodon, Cease, Valdez and Gonsolin would be gone, I was actually hoping for Luis Castillo. No such luck. Gilbert works fine.

I was sniped again in round 2. Michael King felt like someone I could plug into a SP slot on days when I had 1 or less starters going and snag some extra holds. A luxury pick for sure. I think there are 2-3 other guys who fit that same profile, a poor mans King, but I was a little busy and just went with the obvious and took Holmes. 

Well you lucked out not getting King...1 game pitched for me, gave up 2 runs in the 8th and earned the loss. Then comes in for a second game and fractures his elbow...out the rest of the season. This was just adding salt to the wound that is Chris Sale going out with a broken finger. Then today, Devers hits the DL as well. My season is rapidly going down the tubes at this point.

6 hours ago, bbascom said:

Well you lucked out not getting King...1 game pitched for me, gave up 2 runs in the 8th and earned the loss. Then comes in for a second game and fractures his elbow...out the rest of the season. This was just adding salt to the wound that is Chris Sale going out with a broken finger. Then today, Devers hits the DL as well. My season is rapidly going down the tubes at this point.

I feel ya man. I’m playing true Rays baseball right now. Baz out until god knows when. Wander has surgery just as I’m about to get Lowe back…. Keirmaier probably done for the regular season (not shocking but he was chipping in some homers and steals). My top rays relievers both on the shelf in Kittredge and Feyersiesen. Zunino still out. Havnt had Peralta basically all year from the pre season supplemental. 

it’s been rough. 

I'm going to regret using that round 2 all star supp pick on Andrew Vaughn.  Should have gone with Contreras. Then again I didn't think Mejia would hit the IL for me leaving me with a minor league catching tandem. But even then... Eloy Jimenez was probably the better pick. He was injured yet again though... 

No one will take the Nationals...  If I came back I would probably take a different team...