Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Chiefs sign Ronald Jones

well, for those excited about Mckinnon, this saps his value even if they keep him.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, for those excited about Mckinnon, this saps his value even if they keep him.

I think McKinnon is still more of a pass-catcher than RoJo.  It probly puts a nail in Darrell Williams, though; barring injury to CEH or Rojo.

Just now, AxeElf said:

I think McKinnon is still more of a pass-catcher than RoJo.  It probly puts a nail in Darrell Williams, though; barring injury to CEH or Rojo.

he is.

but on the early downs, Rojo is more of a threat to run the ball.   That means hes more likely to be in there on those early downs.   To keep defenses honest.

either way, its looking more and more like a 2 or 3 headed monster at RB.  if its a 3 headed monster I dont know that its wise to own any of the RB's.

some RB's put up draftable numbers in a 2 headed committee but not many RB's put up draftable numbers in a 3 headed committee.   Its early to say for sure yet, but I dont see Rojo signing on to be a teams third RB.  

Amble opportunities.  

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

Who’s Amble?

Seafoam. 

I wouldn't expect everyone to know all these as household names, but the roster is pretty well set heading into the year

QB - Mahomes/Henne
RB - CEH/Jones/Gore
FB - Burton
WR1 - Hardman/MVS/Coleman/Dieter
WR2 - Juju/Gordon/Powell/Fountain
TE - Kelce/Bell/Gray/Fortson
RT - Niang/Wylie/Christian
RG - Smith
C - Humphrey/Reiter
LG - Thuney/Allegretti
LT - OBJ/PTW

LDE - Danna/Kaindoh
LDT - Nandi/Wharton
RDT - Jones/Saunders
RDE - Clark
WLB - Harris
MLB - Bolton/Carter
SLB - Gay/Lee
LCB - Fenton/Bootle
RCB - Sneed/Baker/Barcoo
SS - Reid/Key
FS - Thornhill/Bush/Anderson

they have 6 picks in the first three rounds, and four of the top 62.  They need help on the edge, an improvement at corner and then depth at lb.

Jones gives them a chance to not totally give up on ceh and not have to draft a rb while giving him real competition at the position.   They can now focus their draft on other needs and really build the roster of the future. 

The day of the workhorse RB is rapidly being phased out of the NFL.

There's still a small handful of RBs who fit that role now, but this is probably the new norm.

The days of the first round of fantasy drafts being all RBs is numbered

Agree about the work horse rb, thats the reason why non ppr is much tougher then ppr.  

The days of a first round being all Rbs stopped way back in the late 80es with some wr named J Rice.  

He was a mid to late first round pick.  

8 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

LT - OBJ/PTW

Hopefully his ACL will be healed enough to make the conversion from WR to LT.

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Hopefully his ACL will be healed enough to make the conversion from WR to LT.

I think he can defy the odds and be a Pro Bowl LT

This is a great signing.  Now I don't have to worry about him coming back to Tampa... although, I didn't think I had to.  :thumbsup:

Jones is a solid 1st and 2nd down runner, but he's a terrible pass blocker and pass catcher.  He has is uses, it's just far far far away from passing situations.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This is a great signing.  Now I don't have to worry about him coming back to Tampa... although, I didn't think I had to.  :thumbsup:

Jones is a solid 1st and 2nd down runner, but he's a terrible pass blocker and pass catcher.  He has is uses, it's just far far far away from passing situations.

I'm a bit suprised.  Jones got about 30 catches for 2 years and then less last year. (likely due to less playing time and losing the starting job)

whats the deal?   is it a case where hes ok but not outstanding but a bad blocker or is he actually a bad pass catcher who somehow put up decent numbers those 2 years (and still a bad pass blocker)

not trying to suggest you are wrong.  just seeking clarification.   I know you watch every Tampa game, so you are more likely to know the deal than anyone.

I think getting away for Tampa is a good move for R Jones, I think he’ll be more productive rb with KC.  

I think the Tampa coach has a problem with usage. 

I think it’s a good fit for both KC and Jones.  

9 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I'm a bit suprised.  Jones got about 30 catches for 2 years and then less last year. (likely due to less playing time and losing the starting job)

whats the deal?   is it a case where hes ok but not outstanding but a bad blocker or is he actually a bad pass catcher who somehow put up decent numbers those 2 years (and still a bad pass blocker)

not trying to suggest you are wrong.  just seeking clarification.   I know you watch every Tampa game, so you are more likely to know the deal than anyone.

I'm not even going to include 2018, that was a true outlier, so focusing in only on the last 3 years (1 with Winston & 2 with Brady).

Jones' targets and receptions were a by-product of snap share.  Tampa has lead the NFL in pass attempts each of the last 3 seasons and have the biggest disparity between pass and rush attempts.  It's just the way their offense is.  The fact that he only got that many targets and receptions should tell you how little they valued his receiving abilities.  There were games, many of them, where he'd have a designed pass play for him... and he'd either drop it, fumble it, or he caused it to be an interception.  In those games, you'll find that it was the last snap he played that game.

There were other games where he either got Winston or Brady sacked because he blew the specific blocking assignment he had, and he'd get benched and be gone for the rest of the game.  Now, will that happen in KC?  I don't know.  Depends on Reid's tolerance level for those things.

Like I said, 1st and 2nd down as a runner?  Nothing wrong with him... everything else?  Below average.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not even going to include 2018, that was a true outlier, so focusing in only on the last 3 years (1 with Winston & 2 with Brady).

Jones' targets and receptions were a by-product of snap share.  Tampa has lead the NFL in pass attempts each of the last 3 seasons and have the biggest disparity between pass and rush attempts.  It's just the way their offense is.  The fact that he only got that many targets and receptions should tell you how little they valued his receiving abilities.  There were games, many of them, where he'd have a designed pass play for him... and he'd either drop it, fumble it, or he caused it to be an interception.  In those games, you'll find that it was the last snap he played that game.

There were other games where he either got Winston or Brady sacked because he blew the specific blocking assignment he had, and he'd get benched and be gone for the rest of the game.  Now, will that happen in KC?  I don't know.  Depends on Reid's tolerance level for those things.

Like I said, 1st and 2nd down as a runner?  Nothing wrong with him... everything else?  Below average.

ok fair comments.

That said not all teams ask that of their starter.   Though I suspect Reid will have him doing some of those things.

keep in mind Tampa had a former all star on the team too, so its easy to bench him too.

in KC I think most of the passes(to RB's at least) are going to CEH anyhow.  so maybe they dont need him to catch the ball.  Maybe hes strictly a first and second down guy.  CEH hasnt been the strongest running the ball.   Ditto for Mckinnon.

so maybe they dont need him to do those things.

That said, hes still not fantasy relevant unless hes putting up over 1000 yards and/or at least 8 TD's

I dont see that in a 3 headed committee.   probably not in a 2 headed one either.

14 hours ago, Ray_T said:

ok fair comments.

That said not all teams ask that of their starter.   Though I suspect Reid will have him doing some of those things.

keep in mind Tampa had a former all star on the team too, so its easy to bench him too.

in KC I think most of the passes(to RB's at least) are going to CEH anyhow.  so maybe they dont need him to catch the ball.  Maybe hes strictly a first and second down guy.  CEH hasnt been the strongest running the ball.   Ditto for Mckinnon.

so maybe they dont need him to do those things.

That said, hes still not fantasy relevant unless hes putting up over 1000 yards and/or at least 8 TD's

I dont see that in a 3 headed committee.   probably not in a 2 headed one either.

Agreed.  Most of my point was from a football stance, not fantasy.  I'm happy to see him go.  Every time he's on the field, you get nervous.

From a fantasy perspective, I think he'll be similar to 2020... a back end RB2.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.  Most of my point was from a football stance, not fantasy.  I'm happy to see him go.  Every time he's on the field, you get nervous.

From a fantasy perspective, I think he'll be similar to 2020... a back end RB2.

well, Tampa doesnt really need two starting calibre RB's.   if they were gonna pay some of their high end guys, they had to dump a player or two.   This was an easy move for Tampa to make.  and if it allowed them to keep a top player who would otherwise leave, its a small sacrafice.  sure the depth wont be as it was, but you can address that in the draft.   I'd grab a RB in round 2(or 3) and have him as your RB2 learning so he can eventually be the RB1.  hed be making very little money, and that helps with some cap issues.

I'd be surprised if this wasnt the plan.

12 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, Tampa doesnt really need two starting calibre RB's.   if they were gonna pay some of their high end guys, they had to dump a player or two.   This was an easy move for Tampa to make.  and if it allowed them to keep a top player who would otherwise leave, its a small sacrafice.  sure the depth wont be as it was, but you can address that in the draft.   I'd grab a RB in round 2(or 3) and have him as your RB2 learning so he can eventually be the RB1.  hed be making very little money, and that helps with some cap issues.

I'd be surprised if this wasnt the plan.

Exactly.

I'm guessing ro jo is up this week.   Maybe 5 touches?