Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

What are your favorite card games..not gambling

Anyone play hand & foot??  Its a version of canasta.  Great game.

Spades, hearts etc.

Lots of fond memories of playing UNO with my daughter.  Euchre, unless you play with Hoyle idiots who despise having fun.

39 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Anyone play hand & foot??  Its a version of canasta.  Great game.

Spades, hearts etc.

We have been playing H&F for year at my parent's house in Erie.  Fun game.  We play every night when I go home.   I always liked Euchre and both spades and hearts. 

Uno. Played with my Dad and friends every Friday night after eating pizza and watched bad movies.

Used to play nickel bouree when we were kids. Very fun Cajun card game. Domino’s are also big here.

Anybody play a game called "Pitch"?    It's probably called a lot of different names.    You can possibly get a total of 4 points in each hand played and you play until someone has 21 pts total and they are the winner (yes, sometimes we play it with $ involved).     

The point of each round of the game is to win the highest card in a suit, the lowest card in a suit, the jack of the suit, and the most total game pts in each hand.   Each hand is guaranteed to have at least 3 pts, if the jack is dealt to someone it can get to 4 pts total.  Whoever wins the bid before the hand starts determines the trump suit for that hand.    You can bid 2, 3, or 4 before each hand, whoever bids the highest "wins the bid".    Meaning how many pts you think you can win once all the cards in that hand have been played.   The bid winner determines what's the trump suit for that hand & they play the 1st card.   The person who starts the bidding before the hand rotates 1 place to the right after each hand, so that it's not the same person getting the "last bid" each hand.  The "game pts" within each hand are the total pts you win in your hand where the cards, in any suit, are valued at:   Aces = 4, kings = 3, queens = 2, jacks =1, 10s = 10.  

I've taught my sons this game and they love it.   They've taught it to their friends.    I learned it in high school and it's still our go-to card game (if we're not playing poker) in my family if we want to play some cards/a game.    

It sounds more complicated than it is.    I've taught many people how to play it.   

1 hour ago, BufordT said:

Set Back

I've heard the game I just described ("pitch") called by that name too.    Are we talking about the same game?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Masshole said:

I've heard the game I just described ("pitch") called by that name too.    Are we talking about the same game?  

From your post it sounds like the same game. Played in several “set back” leagues  over the years.  Usually play to 15 though for some reason. 

13 hours ago, Bill E. said:

We have been playing H&F for year at my parent's house in Erie.  Fun game.  We play every night when I go home.   I always liked Euchre and both spades and hearts. 

I knew I liked you!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fandandy said:

Lots of fond memories of playing UNO with my daughter.  Euchre, unless you play with Hoyle idiots who despise having fun.

Came here to post Euchre.  Lots of Michiganders here!  :cheers:

What's a "Hoyle idiot?"

Someone mentioned Hearts, I wasted a lot of time in college playing that instead of studying..

Play quite a bit of H&F. Euchre also great.  Play farmers rummy and up and down the river a bit too.  

Slap Jack

Gin works too

7 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

@Bill E.

how close are you to Mrytle?

Myrtle?  GA .  Had to look it up.  3 hours.

9 hours ago, Masshole said:

Anybody play a game called "Pitch"?    It's probably called a lot of different names.    You can possibly get a total of 4 points in each hand played and you play until someone has 21 pts total and they are the winner (yes, sometimes we play it with $ involved).     

The point of each round of the game is to win the highest card in a suit, the lowest card in a suit, the jack of the suit, and the most total game pts in each hand.   Each hand is guaranteed to have at least 3 pts, if the jack is dealt to someone it can get to 4 pts total.  Whoever wins the bid before the hand starts determines the trump suit for that hand.    You can bid 2, 3, or 4 before each hand, whoever bids the highest "wins the bid".    Meaning how many pts you think you can win once all the cards in that hand have been played.   The bid winner determines what's the trump suit for that hand & they play the 1st card.   The person who starts the bidding before the hand rotates 1 place to the right after each hand, so that it's not the same person getting the "last bid" each hand.  The "game pts" within each hand are the total pts you win in your hand where the cards, in any suit, are valued at:   Aces = 4, kings = 3, queens = 2, jacks =1, 10s = 10.  

I've taught my sons this game and they love it.   They've taught it to their friends.    I learned it in high school and it's still our go-to card game (if we're not playing poker) in my family if we want to play some cards/a game.    

It sounds more complicated than it is.    I've taught many people how to play it.   

Played something similar years ago with family members.  Can not remember the name but not Pitch or setback.  I just remember scoring being  Hi, Lo, Jack and Game.  That might have been the name they used  It as fun.  Has been 20 plus years and I forgot about it until I read your rules. 

18 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Myrtle?  GA .  Had to look it up.  3 hours.

You guys never disappoint. Myrtle Grove is the oyster bed I used to fish at. Eating oysters off the boat.

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Magic the gathering count?

my son and I play that alot

Nerd!

My gf and I play arena almost every day. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Nobody plays cribbage?

My parents loved that game.  I probably couldn't remember how to play cribbage its been so long.

19 hours ago, BufordT said:

From your post it sounds like the same game. Played in several “set back” leagues  over the years.  Usually play to 15 though for some reason. 

Great game.    When we play for $, we'd play 1st one to 21 wins and then it was $1, $5, or $10 a pt for the losers.     So if I got to 21 and the other 3 players had 12, 10, & 15 pts - they would have to pay me $9, $11, & $6 dollars respectively (if we were playing $1 a pt).    You can sweat a bit in that game when you are playing $10/pt and you've only got 3 pts and someone else is at 19-20.     

Used to play cutthroat at $1/pt back in the day.  i.e.  if you bid 3 and make your bid you get $3 from each player (usually 4-6 players).  If you don't make the bid then you owe $3 to each player.  We would play for hours and hours.  Still play a little on golf trips and parties etc. 

I think it mostly a New England region game.  Couldn't find anyone who even heard of the game when I was in the Navy.

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Nobody plays cribbage?

Cribbage, hearts and euchre are my top 3

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Nobody plays cribbage?

Really cute girl in college taught me how to play cribbage...played for weeks before I figured out I wasn't getting any, haven't played since.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:59 AM, BunnysBastatrds said:

Uno. Played with my Dad and friends every Friday night after eating pizza and watched bad movies.

Did you order toppings on the said pizza ??

20 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Came here to post Euchre.  Lots of Michiganders here!  :cheers:

What's a "Hoyle idiot?"

Same here as far as Euchre is considered.  (I'm also wondering what he meant by "Hoyle idiot".)

Cribbage

10 minutes ago, DonS said:

Did anyone say "strip poker with your mom" yet? :banana:

If that ain't gambling, I don't know what is.