Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Car guys - track question

I post many threads where I ask for advice because I will almost certainly take that action, this is not one of those threads. There is a 90% that I do not go through with this, however I am exploring my options.

As a background I did buy a WRX last year with some hopes of getting it track ready, however my wife does not know how to drive a manual. This had negative consequences for my fishing because I could not use her SUV as my tow vehicle. I had to then sell my WRX to buy a truck to use as my tow vehicle.

However, if I buy a track car with an automatic then I could borrow her vehicle to go fishing and during that time she could drive my car.

Needs:

• 4 doors
  • decent performance
  • Low price - WRX was perfect there - can be new or used but ideally under 40k
  • Can hold up to track use - this eliminates the automatic WRX i believe since it is a CVT and not a traditional automatic transmission.
  • Hitch - For mountain bike carrier

@Gladiators

@Strike

Anything come to mind or am i looking for something that is impossible?

Couldn't you have taught your wife how to drive a stick? 

She handles all the other sticks just fine, what is one more?  ;)

1 minute ago, posty said:

Couldn't you have taught your wife how to drive a stick? 

She handles all the other sticks just fine, what is one more?  ;)

If we lived in a rural area i would have pursued this route, however just to pull out of our subdivision it is a 40 mph road. When learning to drive a stick everyone stalls more than a few times trying to get into first. I would not want her to stall and get hit putting her and the kids at risk.

We did talk about this, however it ended up not being an option.

I'd suggest checking out the Mazda RX-8.   I don't think they make them any more so you'll be looking at used but a quick search shows relatively low mileage ones in the 10k range.  Mazda's goal was to have sports car performance but with 4 seat sedan utility so it sounds perfect for your situation.   They used rear suicide doors to give it the dimensions and weight distribution to achieve the performance they sought.  It looks like it has paddle shifters too with the automatic.  And you get that cool Wankel engine.  I had a first gen RX-7 and loved it. 

• Like 1

Another one to look at is the Subaru BRZ.  It's not four doors but does have four seats.  It's a true sports car and some of my S2000 buddies have moved on to it.  It has good balance, decent but not great power, and a good price point. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

Another one to look at is the Subaru BRZ.  It's not four doors but does have four seats.  It's a true sports car and some of my S2000 buddies have moved on to it.  It has good balance, decent but not great power, and a good price point. 

What percent of people who go to track days use their daily driver as their track car?

What do you budget for your track car as far as yearly maintenance cost. Obviously, this is car dependent but is 5k a year in the ballpark or am I out of my mind?

I do like the brz/86, however the 2 doors is a show stopper. 

The problem is the cars I would like as my track car, focus RS, civic type r, etc are not available with an automatic transmission.

Why not just buy her a decent car for 10k and look for something manual in the 30k price range?  

If you want a track car, that is your dream, and you can afford it, why settle for a four-door sedan as your track car?

They are hard to find now but I owned a Mazda Speed6.  That was 4 door.  I bought it with 5400 miles on it.  They are tough to find now though as they only made them for two years.

My ex got that and the boat and walked away with no debt.  I got the house, the mortgage, and all the debt.  She doesn't have that car or the boat anymore.  I still own the house.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

What percent of people who go to track days use their daily driver as their track car?

What do you budget for your track car as far as yearly maintenance cost. Obviously, this is car dependent but is 5k a year in the ballpark or am I out of my mind?

I do like the brz/86, however the 2 doors is a show stopper. 

The problem is the cars I would like as my track car, focus RS, civic type r, etc are not available with an automatic transmission.

On maintenance, I'm not sure if you are including the costs associated with tracking.  Tracking can be pricey, depending how often you go.   Also depends how much you do yourself.  I'm no  Sux level mechanic, but I can bleed my own brakes, change my own brake pads, all fluid changes, etc......So unless something actually breaks on the car I do most of my own work.  But if you're a decent driver you're going to need high performance brake pads (mainly they can handle the higher temps of track driving) which will cost $400-500 a set.  And they'll typically last 4-5 track days.  You'll go through brake rotors pretty regularly as well.  Tires will last 8-10 track days.   And I have a 2nd set of wheels for track tires.  Even the gas can kill you.  My S2000 gets 5-6 MPG when running on track so I fill the tank up at least twice during the course of a day at the track.  You want to change oil every few track days and tranny/diff fluid maybe every 6 or so.  I don't track nearly as much as I used to but it was expensive when I was going on average every 2-3 weekends.

• Like 1

I don’t have a good recommendation for you. If I were in your shoes, I’d hold out for the long play…Keep saving and get a third vehicle dedicated for the track. If you can pull it off with your other hobbies and having a young family (iirc) props to you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fandandy said:

Why not just buy her a decent car for 10k and look for something manual in the 30k price range?  

If you want a track car, that is your dream, and you can afford it, why settle for a four-door sedan as your track car?

They are hard to find now but I owned a Mazda Speed6.  That was 4 door.  I bought it with 5400 miles on it.  They are tough to find now though as they only made them for two years.

He can barely afford a bigger boat and trailer  every few years 

1 hour ago, nospk said:

He can barely afford a bigger boat and trailer  every few years 

I understand where you are coming from with your post, but sadly that is not true. I own half of an old cheap bay boat with a fishing buddy. 

Also, part of the reason I am researching this is because I want to get some money back. I spent low 40's on a Tacoma and I do not like it. The wrx was a car I loved and it cost 15k less. 

I mentioned in the first post that this is a long shot, but if I can pocket some cash and get a fun car I will do the necessary research.

8 hours ago, Strike said:

On maintenance, I'm not sure if you are including the costs associated with tracking.  Tracking can be pricey, depending how often you go.   Also depends how much you do yourself.  I'm no  Sux level mechanic, but I can bleed my own brakes, change my own brake pads, all fluid changes, etc......So unless something actually breaks on the car I do most of my own work.  But if you're a decent driver you're going to need high performance brake pads (mainly they can handle the higher temps of track driving) which will cost $400-500 a set.  And they'll typically last 4-5 track days.  You'll go through brake rotors pretty regularly as well.  Tires will last 8-10 track days.   And I have a 2nd set of wheels for track tires.  Even the gas can kill you.  My S2000 gets 5-6 MPG when running on track so I fill the tank up at least twice during the course of a day at the track.  You want to change oil every few track days and tranny/diff fluid maybe every 6 or so.  I don't track nearly as much as I used to but it was expensive when I was going on average every 2-3 weekends.

Those expenses are around what I have researched, but what is difficult to find out is how often people had major engine/transmission failures on their track car/daily driver combination.

Did you hear of that frequently from your track friends? Does using your car on the track doom it to an extremely short life?

8 hours ago, Strike said:

On maintenance, I'm not sure if you are including the costs associated with tracking.  Tracking can be pricey, depending how often you go.   Also depends how much you do yourself.   

I'm no  Sux level mechanic,

but I can bleed my own brakes, change my own brake pads, all fluid changes, etc......So unless something actually breaks on the car I do most of my own work.  But if you're a decent driver you're going to need high performance brake pads (mainly they can handle the higher temps of track driving) which will cost $400-500 a set.  And they'll typically last 4-5 track days.  You'll go through brake rotors pretty regularly as well.  Tires will last 8-10 track days.   And I have a 2nd set of wheels for track tires.  Even the gas can kill you.  My S2000 gets 5-6 MPG when running on track so I fill the tank up at least twice during the course of a day at the track.  You want to change oil every few track days and tranny/diff fluid maybe every 6 or so.  I don't track nearly as much as I used to but it was expensive when I was going on average every 2-3 weekends.

:headbanger:

Naa...You're not.  You're prolly better

so I know little to nothing about track cars but if this is a dream / hobby of yours, why not look for something preowned an inexpensive with a manual and simply have it not be anyone's daily driver?

I suggest this because 1.) you mentioned "ideally 40k or under"  2.) Strike mentioned a preowned mazda that runs around 10k   3.) I would think a manual would be more fun as a track car?  4.) why would you want to worry about all the maintenance that comes with a track car for your daily driver? What if something more major goes wrong, as you stated? 

edit: I see you don't like your Tacoma.... so second step, sell the Tacoma and buy something a little less expensive that you do like as your daily driver.   Sell the Tacoma for.... 35? Buy a new automatic daily driver which can be anything since your wife could drive it when you need to tow for.... 30k? and buy a pre owned manual track car for 15k.   Yeah, you're not making money back but you get a dedicated hobby car that you will probably like better

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Those expenses are around what I have researched, but what is difficult to find out is how often people had major engine/transmission failures on their track car/daily driver combination.

Did you hear of that frequently from your track friends? Does using your car on the track doom it to an extremely short life?

Mechanical issues are pretty car dependent but newer cars are much more reliable than the ones from 30 years ago and that applies to tracked cars as well as ones just run on the street.  Some cars, like the S2000, are unbelievably reliable even when pushed hard on track.  Mine probably has 10k track miles, and about 110k total miles, and still runs great.  My tranny did have to be rebuilt but I have the first model year of this car and Honda made changes to the syncro design in the tranny a few years in to it's run due to issues such as mine so I don't think that was so much a track issue as a design issue in the early years.  Honestly, most of the issues I've seen at the track were things like Vipers love to overheat so you don't get that many laps per session before you have to bring them in, things like that.  Most of the japanese cars are pretty reliable even with track miles.  I haven't heard of issues with Miatas, 350Z's, etc.... Porsches have traditionally been known for breaking down but have gotten more reliable in the last 20 years or so.  I doubt they're nearly as reliable as japanese cars even now though.  But mechanical issues are definitely one of the things you risk when tracking a car. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

so I know little to nothing about track cars but if this is a dream / hobby of yours, why not look for something preowned an inexpensive with a manual and simply have it not be anyone's daily driver?

I suggest this because 1.) you mentioned "ideally 40k or under"  2.) Strike mentioned a preowned mazda that runs around 10k   3.) I would think a manual would be more fun as a track car?  4.) why would you want to worry about all the maintenance that comes with a track car for your daily driver? What if something more major goes wrong, as you stated? 

I have 3 good reasons for not getting a track specific car.

I would not use it enough, a best case scenario is a few track days a year.

I have no place to store a 3rd car.

My wife would laugh at me if I asked to buy a car for racing.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have 3 good reasons for not getting a track specific car.

I would not use it enough, a best case scenario is a few track days a year.

I have no place to store a 3rd car.

My wife would laugh at me if I asked to buy a car for racing.

fair enough. like i said I have nothing from experience to offer the convo aside from looking at wha'ts been posted and offering my opinion on a purchasing decision. 

Not having anywhere to store a 3rd car would be problematic, especially as I would assume you'd want to store a track gar in a garage. 

Your wife laughing at you... well.... :dunno:. she could laugh at your for far worse.

Not using it enough? Thats where you would have to weigh the cost versus the enjoyment. All the golf clubs in my bag as well as other equipment probably cost 3k. I played 22 times last year. I've spent way more than that over the course of my life on my golf hobby. If car racing was my hobby or something I wanted to get into or try, I'd just make sure I went more often so the enjoyment aligned more with the cost.... Easy for me to say, i know.... just my line of thinking. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

fair enough. like i said I have nothing from experience to offer the convo aside from looking at wha'ts been posted and offering my opinion on a purchasing decision. 

Not having anywhere to store a 3rd car would be problematic, especially as I would assume you'd want to store a track gar in a garage. 

Your wife laughing at you... well.... :dunno:. she could laugh at your for far worse.

Not using it enough? Thats where you would have to weigh the cost versus the enjoyment. All the golf clubs in my bag as well as other equipment probably cost 3k. I played 22 times last year. I've spent way more than that over the course of my life on my golf hobby. If car racing was my hobby or something I wanted to get into or try, I'd just make sure I went more often so the enjoyment aligned more with the cost.... Easy for me to say, i know.... just my line of thinking. 

:thumbsup:

Advice is appreciated and I understand the importance of spending money on hobbies rather than nice furniture or expensive homes.

8 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I understand where you are coming from with your post, but sadly that is not true. I own half of an old cheap bay boat with a fishing buddy. 

Also, part of the reason I am researching this is because I want to get some money back. I spent low 40's on a Tacoma and I do not like it. The wrx was a car I loved and it cost 15k less. 

I mentioned in the first post that this is a long shot, but if I can pocket some cash and get a fun car I will do the necessary research.

And my reply to it is called a joke…. just like Toyota trucks are

20 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

@Strike

Does your track club rent cars? I will be in Parker for 2 weeks this summer and would like to try to get a track day if possible.

The track you'd want to go to if you're out here is High Plains Raceway (HPR):

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/

The track doesn't rent cars but I did a quick search and found this place that does:

https://www.sarianmotorsports.com/about/

They're in the same area as the racetrack which I'm sure is not coincidental.  That race track is about 60 miles east of Denver headed towards Kansas, right off I-70.  Figure about an hour from Parker.  During the warm months the race track has lapping days that they run themselves.  They also rent out to certain groups/clubs.  Check their calendar on the website.  You'll get the most track time if you go to one of the lapping days run by HPR.  They generally break down in to two run groups, fast and slow.  Each run group goes for 30 minutes and then the other run group goes. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:30 AM, BeenHereBefore said:

Good answer.

So you are GF after all!  :o