Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

MLB 2022

Dodgers opened the season 1 for 28 vs non-fastballs thru 2 games.  Rockies pitcher Saenzatalla opens game 3 vs Dodgers and throws a bunch of fastballs.  Dodgers hit them real hard but right at fielders for a bunch of loud outs.  Then the Rockies pull him before the Dodgers actually score runs.

Dodgers were atrocious vs the curveball all year in 2021 but crushed the fastball.  Now they suck against anything not a fastball.

@Mookz  3-0 :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

15-0 over the last 15.  😂

1 hour ago, Mookz said:

15-0 over the last 15.  😂

21-1 I think since the start of 2021

Wake me up in September - MLB = 😴

ML Baseball is not a game I recognize anymore.   We need a new metric to counter the old one.  

So now, MLB has the crew chief announce the decision on challenged calls.  Watching and listening to games all weekend, I've been hearing broadcasters say how much better it is this way, than the umpire just giving the signal.  Am I on an island in thinking that the broadcasters are making WAY too much of this?  So far, every play I've seen was overturning a safe/out call.  In these specific scenario's, I'm not seeing a reason to be boast about the umpires telling you the decision.

For example, I'm currently listening to the Indians/Royals game and Merrifield was called out at 2nd on a stolen base attempt.  The Royals reviewed the call and the play was overturned.  Now, under last years' rules, the ump would've pointed towards 2nd base and gave the safe sign.  Personally, I think it's clear that they're saying they're overturning the call and that he was safe.  Today, the umpire gets on the microphone and says that the call was overturned and that the runner was safe.  The broadcaster then went on to say how much better it is now that the umpires are telling us the call.  Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.

In situations where there's an extensive explanation, I think they should tell you what caused the ruling.... but safe or out?  Just point and sign.  What's the big deal?

2 hours ago, edjr said:

Wake me up in September - MLB = 😴

How about when September ends?  🤔

42 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So now, MLB has the crew chief announce the decision on challenged calls.  Watching and listening to games all weekend, I've been hearing broadcasters say how much better it is this way, than the umpire just giving the signal.  Am I on an island in thinking that the broadcasters are making WAY too much of this?  So far, every play I've seen was overturning a safe/out call.  In these specific scenario's, I'm not seeing a reason to be boast about the umpires telling you the decision.

For example, I'm currently listening to the Indians/Royals game and Merrifield was called out at 2nd on a stolen base attempt.  The Royals reviewed the call and the play was overturned.  Now, under last years' rules, the ump would've pointed towards 2nd base and gave the safe sign.  Personally, I think it's clear that they're saying they're overturning the call and that he was safe.  Today, the umpire gets on the microphone and says that the call was overturned and that the runner was safe.  The broadcaster then went on to say how much better it is now that the umpires are telling us the call.  Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.

In situations where there's an extensive explanation, I think they should tell you what caused the ruling.... but safe or out?  Just point and sign.  What's the big deal?

They like it because the other leagues have the referee announce it...  MLB was the only one that wasn't, so that is why they are all getting a hard on for it...

21 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

You guys still do that wacky fantasy baseball league that I was in for a couple years ? (And not calling it wacky in a bad way - I liked it). 

9 minutes ago, Mookz said:

How about when September ends?  🤔

Shut up Billie Joe

4 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

You guys still do that wacky fantasy baseball league that I was in for a couple years ? (And not calling it wacky in a bad way - I liked it). 

Geek Homers?  Yep still going on...

1 hour ago, posty said:

They like it because the other leagues have the referee announce it...  MLB was the only one that wasn't, so that is why they are all getting a hard on for it...

Yeah, that was my take as well.  They're definitely going overboard on the praise.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think it would be something to talk about (and I thought it was going to be this way) if they explained the decision not just GAVE the decision. If they simply say yes the runner was safe or the ruling was overturned, the runner was out…. I don’t need that. Hand signals are fine. But if they explain “the call on the field is overturned. The first baseman’s foot came off the bag before receiving the throw and the runner touched first before the first baseman got back to the bag”. That would be good. 

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

Yes it’s still going strong. I don’t remember you being in it so you must have been many years ago (unless you’re an alias I’m unaware of). 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

I think it would be something to talk about (and I thought it was going to be this way) if they explained the decision not just GAVE the decision. If they simply say yes the runner was safe or the ruling was overturned, the runner was out…. I don’t need that. Hand signals are fine. But if they explain “the call on the field is overturned. The first baseman’s foot came off the bag before receiving the throw and the runner touched first before the first baseman got back to the bag”. That would be good. 

Agreed.  I thought they were going to go into detail as to why they did or didn't overturn the play, but they're not.  The ump simply said, "after further review, the play is overturned and the runner is safe".  That's it.  All done.  All that did was waste time (that they claim is a problem).  Just point and "safe" sign.  Not that hard.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, Gepetto said:

Royals are 2-0 because of Bobby Witt Jr;, he made the key play in both games.

0-4 again

50 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

0-4 again

Witt Jr did score 2 runs.

Yesterday Juan Soto 0-4

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yes it’s still going strong. I don’t remember you being in it so you must have been many years ago (unless you’re an alias I’m unaware of). 

I am Shotsup- not really an alias because it is “common knowledge” and Shotsup got a permanent ban for posting chicks in bikinis and asking you to rank them. 

Anyone using the Mets this year ?

38 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I am Shotsup- not really an alias because it is “common knowledge” and Shotsup got a permanent ban for posting chicks in bikinis and asking you to rank them. 

Anyone using the Mets this year ?

oh hey man. Guess im out of the loop. I invited you to the league for the years you were in.

When you left, my brother continued to run the Cubs but then swapped to the Mets

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

oh hey man. Guess im out of the loop. I invited you to the league for the years you were in.

When you left, my brother continued to run the Cubs but then swapped to the Mets

Yes you did. Glad to hear Mets still being represented. Hopefully your brother wins it all :cheers:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

royals or indians broadcast crew?  If you're listening to Rex Hudler, that could be part of the problem :D

20 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So now, MLB has the crew chief announce the decision on challenged calls. 

I used to favor replay reviews.  But after a decade or more of it, I'm sick of it.

It was supposed to only overturn blatantly obvious calls.... the man was clearly out-of-bounds stuff where 99 out of 100 people would all agree. It was not supposed to overturn calls where it's 50/50 and even the guys in the broadcast booth can't agree.  Then there's the ridiculous amount of time it takes to review the plays.

I'm done. Go back to whatever the refs/umps call stands. Replay had it's chance, and they blew it.

35 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

royals or indians broadcast crew?  If you're listening to Rex Hudler, that could be part of the problem :D

It was the Indians, but I've listened to a bunch over the weekend and they're all the same.

26 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I used to favor replay reviews.  But after a decade or more of it, I'm sick of it.

It was supposed to only overturn blatantly obvious calls.... the man was clearly out-of-bounds stuff where 99 out of 100 people would all agree. It was not supposed to overturn calls where it's 50/50 and even the guys in the broadcast booth can't agree.  Then there's the ridiculous amount of time it takes to review the plays.

I'm done. Go back to whatever the refs/umps call stands. Replay had it's chance, and they blew it.

I totally agree with you.

I hate the Yankee radio team. So when I’m in my car I listen to the other teams radio announcers. I remember listening to a KC one a while back. Holy homers! They made the White Sox announcers sound objective. Plus all the farm commercials. 

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

It is awful in basketball now (both college and the NBA)...  At the end of every close game, when there is a timeout after a made bucket, during the longer timeout, they review the play to see when the ball went through the hoop and put that time up on the clock, removing the human factor of reaction time...  If that is so important at the end, why don't they worry about that when it happens during the middle of the game where there is a timeout or the ball goes out of bounds?

Reason 359 MLB blows and is boring and unwatchable. 

I don't have a problem with most of them...  From where he was setup, he would call those close pitches strikes...  Most umpires would...

34 minutes ago, posty said:

I don't have a problem with most of them...  From where he was setup, he would call those close pitches strikes...  Most umpires would...

I only saw two that were terrible calls. The others were really close. Maybe the batters should realize they have to expand their strike zone a bit with certain umps. It's part of the game. Always has been. Putting that box on the video for people watching on tv was a mistake by MLB.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:08 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I hate the Yankee radio team. So when I’m in my car I listen to the other teams radio announcers. I remember listening to a KC one a while back. Holy homers! They made the White Sox announcers sound objective. Plus all the farm commercials. 

The Dodgers radio team tries to call the game for people who hate baseball.  They talk about non-baseball subjects all the time to the point where they just ignore the action taking place.  They use the corporate phrase "without getting too far into the weeds" which is to say they dont want to actually talk baseball because they want to attract people who hate baseball.  They might as well put the hosts of the View in the booth for 9 innings.  

59 minutes ago, posty said:

Agreed.  The one to McCutchen was bad and so was the one to Segura.  The rest were ok.  The second one (Navarez), the ball was right below his hands.  This is the reason why I hate those boxes that they put on the screen.  The MLB strike zone is from your chest to your knees.  Every one of those "high" strikes were shown outside of the "box", but every one of them was below the batter's chest.  Those are strikes.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.  The one to McCutchen was bad and so was the one to Segura.  The rest were ok.  The second one (Navarez), the ball was right below his hands.  This is the reason why I hate those boxes that they put on the screen.  The MLB strike zone is from your chest to your knees.  Every one of those "high" strikes were shown outside of the "box", but every one of them was below the batter's chest.  Those are strikes.

Yep...  I hate that box as well and people think that if the computer called balls and strikes, that this issue would go away...  It won't because it isn't accurate now, like you said...

i didn't think a lot of those were terrible either, but I do think angel hernandez is.

12 minutes ago, posty said:

Yep...  I hate that box as well and people think that if the computer called balls and strikes, that this issue would go away...  It won't because it isn't accurate now, like you said...

I read an article a couple years ago and in the article, they were trashing umpires and saying why MLB had to go to computer-called balls and strikes.  All of their data basically proved that 97.4% of balls and strike called had at least 1/8 of an inch touching their beloved box, from 2015-2018.  Honestly, if the umps got 97.4% right, I think they deserve a raise, not a demotion of powers.

• Like 1

More reasons baseball sucks. Umpires will never stop making themelves part of the game. 

13 minutes ago, posty said:

He did turn towards second...

Yeah, he did. I thought you knew the baseball rules or something?

He did not ATTEMPT TO ADVANCE to go to 2nd base.  

13 minutes ago, edjr said:

Yeah, he did. I thought you knew the baseball rules or something?

He did not ATTEMPT TO ADVANCE to go to 2nd base.  

Correct...  The umpire saw that with him turning towards second and the ball still not secure, that there could be a possibility...  If I was umping, I wouldn't have called him out, but I don't have an issue with the actual result either...

I mean look at the catcher...  Soon as he got the ball and saw that Mancini turned in, he went to tag him...  We don't know what the first base coach said...  He might have been saying "No! No!  Stay here!", which could imply that he was thinking about going and put that thought into the umpires thought process...