Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

MLB 2022

Braves 23 year old prospect OF Drew Waters might get the callup soon.  bats for average, power, steals a load of bases.

11 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

another homer tonight.  Next ab hits a routine grounder to short, two hopper, gets down the line and is called safe.  replay shows he was out, but no way it should have been that close.  Next inning he goes out and makes a great defensive play over his shoulder.

I guess my point isn't necessarily "lighting it up" with his bat, but his play is showing he belongs here, when I was calling out HT for saying they need to send him back down.

better?

It is better, it's a more realistic take.  He was, "send him back", you were "the guys a star"... reality is that he's somewhere in between.

That said, I do think they rushed him because his defense is ready.  I'm not so sure his hitting is.  We'll find out though.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It is better, it's a more realistic take.  He was, "send him back", you were "the guys a star"... reality is that he's somewhere in between.

That said, I do think they rushed him because his defense is ready.  I'm not so sure his hitting is.  We'll find out though.

almost every prospect gets sent back down at least once.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

Braves 23 year old prospect OF Drew Waters might get the callup soon.  bats for average, power, steals a load of bases.

Base stealing is irrelevant, they don't do that much anymore at the ML level.  It will be a wasted skillset.  I think his power is more "gap" power than 350' power.  Basically, I think he's Dansby Swanson+.  The only difference is that he may hit for a better average.  Should be a solid contributor.

A player gets rushed to the majors, struggles, and I say he should go back down. Yeah, I’m completely unrealistic, because that’s never done.  To clarify, I wasn’t saying send him back forever. Sheez. 

4 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

almost every prospect gets sent back down at least once.

Maybe, but the reason is the important part.  Trout only got sent back down because he was a temporary replacement for Tori Hunter.  When Hunter came back, Trout went back down.  Ke'Bryan Hayes never got sent back down.  He was a September call-up and started the following season in AAA because the Pirates wanted to gerrymander his playing time.  Even still, he was there for only a week.  Acuna's time back down was only rehab assignments.  Same with Kris Bryant.

The Royals aren't contending for anything and Witt will get regular playing time, so I doubt he ever gets sent back down unless he flat out can't hit.  He was a sub .200 hitter for the first 2 weeks... since then, he's just short of .250.  He's "fine", for now.  My guess is that may be tops out the season at .260.  Nothing wrong with that for a great fielder who's only 22 years old.

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

A player gets rushed to the majors, struggles, and I say he should go back down. Yeah, I’m completely unrealistic, because that’s never done.  To clarify, I wasn’t saying send him back forever. Sheez. 

I agree with a lot of what you say, the only part I disagree with you on is sending him back down.  He's no worse than anyone on that roster.  He has the 4th highest average on the team (among the regulars), so he's not hurting the team...  a team that WILL finish among the worst in baseball.  Unless his average drops below .200 for say a stretch of time, or if he's developing really bad habits, there's no need to send him back.  He's not going to see ML pitchers in AAA.  I think they should've left him there until the All-Star break or so.  He wasn't exactly tearing it up in AAA.  Sure, he showed good power, but a .290 AAA hitter is a .260 ML hitter.  That's not a good translation.  That said, the cat's out of the bag, so not point in going back.  Now, if they think that's all he'll ever be... a .260 hitter, then there's nothing really wrong with what they did.  I just recall hearing Witt be referred to a 5-tool player.  A 5-tool player is NOT a .260 hitter though.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, the only part I disagree with you on is sending him back down.  He's no worse than anyone on that roster.  He has the 4th highest average on the team (among the regulars), so he's not hurting the team...  a team that WILL finish among the worst in baseball.  Unless his average drops below .200 for say a stretch of time, or if he's developing really bad habits, there's no need to send him back.  He's not going to see ML pitchers in AAA.  I think they should've left him there until the All-Star break or so.  He wasn't exactly tearing it up in AAA.  Sure, he showed good power, but a .290 AAA hitter is a .260 ML hitter.  That's not a good translation.  That said, the cat's out of the bag, so not point in going back.  Now, if they think that's all he'll ever be... a .260 hitter, then there's nothing really wrong with what they did.  I just recall hearing Witt be referred to a 5-tool player.  A 5-tool player is NOT a .260 hitter though.

The other day the Oakland A’s were hitting .205 as a team. Baseball better get its head out if it’s ass. Sitting around waiting for dingers is not good for the game. 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The other day the Oakland A’s were hitting .205 as a team. Baseball better get its head out if it’s ass. Sitting around waiting for dingers is not good for the game. 

I agree COMPLETELY.  A lot has been made of Billy Beane and Sabermetrics.  He and it was glorified.  All it's done, was ruin baseball.  For all the notoriety they good for their offense, the real reason it worked had nothing to do with hitting... it was because of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito.  Also, it didn't entirely work for the simple reason is that at some point, you need "good" hitters.  In that 4-year run (2000-2003), where they made the playoffs each year, they got knocked out right off the bat, even with the great pitching.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree COMPLETELY.  A lot has been made of Billy Beane and Sabermetrics.  He and it was glorified.  All it's done, was ruin baseball.  For all the notoriety they good for their offense, the real reason it worked had nothing to do with hitting... it was because of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito.  Also, it didn't entirely work for the simple reason is that at some point, you need "good" hitters.  In that 4-year run (2000-2003), where they made the playoffs each year, they got knocked out right off the bat, even with the great pitching.

They act like Beane is the one that came up with OBP being so meaningful. The Yankees had one guy hit 40 hrs once while they won 4 out of 5 WS. And that was 1997, when they didn’t win the WS and got knocked out in the first round. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If you turn on the Royals every day, as I do, you see when it's evident a player is pressing or struggling.  BWJ is not, his presence and the way he is playing shows that he belongs here.  Someone who does not is Carlos Santana, who is struggling mightily but the Royals, for some reason simply are not giving up on.  MJ Melendez is also playing very well for us in his first couple weeks of big league action with Salvy on the DL.  I wasn't expecting either of these players to show up and light it up from day 1, but you are seeing flashes of brilliance at times, and decent success, and performance that has been strong for a rookie.  I don't think you'll see BWJ take any more at bats at the minor league level.  But of course if he does, won't be the first time I had a take that wasn't true when all was said and done.

I'm also a bit concerned that the Royals coaching staff is not a good fit for this young, talented team.  Cal Eldred sucks and is not helping develop our young pitching staff.  Mike Matheny blows.  They already fired the hitting coach, but I think the Royals need to overhaul their front office and coaching staff.  Will be interesting to see how long of a leash these guys have with new ownership in place.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Maybe, but the reason is the important part.  Trout only got sent back down because he was a temporary replacement for Tori Hunter.  When Hunter came back, Trout went back down.  Ke'Bryan Hayes never got sent back down.  He was a September call-up and started the following season in AAA because the Pirates wanted to gerrymander his playing time.  Even still, he was there for only a week.  Acuna's time back down was only rehab assignments.  Same with Kris Bryant.

The Royals aren't contending for anything and Witt will get regular playing time, so I doubt he ever gets sent back down unless he flat out can't hit.  He was a sub .200 hitter for the first 2 weeks... since then, he's just short of .250.  He's "fine", for now.  My guess is that may be tops out the season at .260.  Nothing wrong with that for a great fielder who's only 22 years old.

what do you make of Cody Bellinger?  Absolutely unstoppable for half a season and rode that to an MVP.  Then he fell off a cliff and has been absolutely terrible.  He's only getting extra chances due to his defense at this point.

Blue Jays' OF Teoscar Hernandez was being labelled a 5 tool player coming into this season.  Injured for a month, just got his second hit in nine GAMES.  Was batting .149 entering today.

10 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm also a bit concerned that the Royals coaching staff is not a good fit for this young, talented team.  Cal Eldred sucks and is not helping develop our young pitching staff.  Mike Matheny blows.  They already fired the hitting coach, but I think the Royals need to overhaul their front office and coaching staff.  Will be interesting to see how long of a leash these guys have with new ownership in place.

What do you think of the closer situation in KC? 

25 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What do you think of the closer situation in KC? 

Our bullpen has been decent for the most part.   Barlow has been pretty solid except for the night I saw him in person against the chi Sox.  They just haven't been hitting, so not a lot of save or hold opportunities. 

Melendez and Witt having decent nights again today. 

Orioles have a real good prospect coming up, catcher Ad Rutschman collected his first MLB hit yesterday, a triple. Comes from good stock, good kid. Balt fans will love him-straight from Oregon State!

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

what do you make of Cody Bellinger?  Absolutely unstoppable for half a season and rode that to an MVP.  Then he fell off a cliff and has been absolutely terrible.  He's only getting extra chances due to his defense at this point.

I think the Dodgers saw him as a low ceiling / strike the iron while it's hot, kind of prospect.  He couldn't hit in the minors but could kill the ball.  The Dodgers saw the power in the minor leagues and started him off in AAA in 2017 .  He raked, so they brought him up.  Prior to that, Bellinger had less than 100 AB's past AA and for his minor league career, he was a .270 hitter.  That's not good.  He is a perfect example of what happens to players who aren't good hitters in the minor leagues and is rushed up to the majors.  He started off hot.  Had a solid second season and as you said, rode a stellar first half to an MVP.  Teams figured out the hole in his game and he is what he is.  The notoriety that he's been given was purely due to his hot start and the fact that he plays on the Dodgers (a major market team).

Had he been drafted by a team like the Pirates, Royals, Indians, or A's... he probably would've never made it to the majors until like 2 years ago, instead of 5.  Had he been drafted by the Rays, he probably would've been traded at the deadline to get a more proven player for a playoff push.  They may have also waited longer and just made him a platoon guy.

The fact that he's only 26 gives some hope that he could at least be a decent backup/role player who could give you some situational pop off the bench.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, paulinstl said:

Gorman got called up last week and went 

:

AB R H HR RBI SB AVG OBP OPS 
  10 4 5 0 1 0 .500 .583 1.283

Hope you fantasy players listened.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Let me know how he does when he faces MLB pitchers.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:58 AM, posty said:

It was the Pirates...

The next 2 games, 0-7 with a walk and 4 k's.  😉

• Like 1

23 year old OF Juan Soto declined a 13-year $350 million contract from the Washington Nationals.  Expected to hit free agency in 2024.  Nationals are going nowhere.  Speculation is they will trade him, possibly before the deadline this year, and the favorite is the Dodgers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-slugger-juan-soto-become-160901517.html

Juan Soto is a 23-year-old left-handed hitting machine who has drawn comparisons to Ted Williams. He boasts power to all fields. His plate discipline is otherworldly. His tranquil swagger is unflappable. He’s a superstar.

Last Thursday, reporters received an email with “Juan Soto Trade Odds” in the subject line. The Nationals were listed as the favorites to have Soto on their roster after the deadline. Number two? The Dodgers.

Soto declined a 13-year, $350-million contract extension in November and later signaled that he plans on reaching free agency. There’s a chance he’ll eclipse Mike Trout’s 12-year, $426.5-million, record-shattering deal and reset the market.

In 2018, Nationals GM Mike Rizzo agreed to send Bryce Harper to the Houston Astros before the trade deadline. The Nationals were out of the playoff race and Harper was slated to become a free agent that winter. Ownership, however, voided the trade. Harper then signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

5 hours ago, posty said:

Soto isn't going anywhere this season...

they keep talking about it on dodgers postgame.

16 hours ago, posty said:

Soto isn't going anywhere this season...

If they're smart, they trade him this season.  The more years a player has on his contract, the more you can get for him.  With Soto, my guess is that he's going to want to be the highest paid player in baseball, so he may come out and says he's going test out the market.  If he says that before the Nationals can trade him this year, his value drops.  If they wait until next year and he says that, his trade value plummets.

17 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

23 year old OF Juan Soto declined a 13-year $350 million contract from the Washington Nationals.  Expected to hit free agency in 2024.  Nationals are going nowhere.  Speculation is they will trade him, possibly before the deadline this year, and the favorite is the Dodgers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-slugger-juan-soto-become-160901517.html

Juan Soto is a 23-year-old left-handed hitting machine who has drawn comparisons to Ted Williams. He boasts power to all fields. His plate discipline is otherworldly. His tranquil swagger is unflappable. He’s a superstar.

Last Thursday, reporters received an email with “Juan Soto Trade Odds” in the subject line. The Nationals were listed as the favorites to have Soto on their roster after the deadline. Number two? The Dodgers.

Soto declined a 13-year, $350-million contract extension in November and later signaled that he plans on reaching free agency. There’s a chance he’ll eclipse Mike Trout’s 12-year, $426.5-million, record-shattering deal and reset the market.

In 2018, Nationals GM Mike Rizzo agreed to send Bryce Harper to the Houston Astros before the trade deadline. The Nationals were out of the playoff race and Harper was slated to become a free agent that winter. Ownership, however, voided the trade. Harper then signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

I hope his arm falls off like Dave Dravecky

You guys still keeping tabs?  

• Confused 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:25 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

If they're smart, they trade him this season.  The more years a player has on his contract, the more you can get for him.  With Soto, my guess is that he's going to want to be the highest paid player in baseball, so he may come out and says he's going test out the market.  If he says that before the Nationals can trade him this year, his value drops.  If they wait until next year and he says that, his trade value plummets.

Soto is batting .238, so the Nationals already have lost some trade value.   I mean you never know.  Francisco Lindor went into a massive multiyear slump.  Soto might as well.  It happens.  Soto may wind up wishing he signed the $350 million deal.  

On 5/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Today so far:

3 AB, 3 for 3, HR, 4 RBI, 3 runs scored. Like I said, he has power with a great swing. Of course, he's gonna have ups and downs, but the kid can hit and is worth a look for fantasy players with deep rosters.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:58 PM, cmh6476 said:

You guys still keeping tabs?  

Yes. Are you? 

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. Are you? 

Yes.   Carlos Santana sucks.   Ryan O'Hearn sucks.   Pitching sucks.  Rooks are the bright spot. 

5 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Yes.   Carlos Santana sucks.   Ryan O'Hearn sucks.   Pitching sucks.  Rooks are the bright spot. 

Lynch sucks

On 5/28/2022 at 3:22 PM, JustinCharge said:

Soto is batting .238, so the Nationals already have lost some trade value.   I mean you never know.  Francisco Lindor went into a massive multiyear slump.  Soto might as well.  It happens.  Soto may wind up wishing he signed the $350 million deal.  

He is both young enough and has shown enough that his current BA won’t matter to all.

Lindor went into a 1 year slump

On 5/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Still a relatively small sample size, but Gorman's numbers look great after 36 ABs.

36 10 13 3 10 0 .361 .439

Crickets...

1 hour ago, paulinstl said:

Still a relatively small sample size, but Gorman's numbers look great after 36 ABs.

Crickets...

hes a stud

14 hours ago, paulinstl said:

Crickets...

Well, crickets because you already said it... "small sample size".

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Well, crickets because you already said it... "small sample size".

Interesting take considering you made sure to point out his stats after 17 ABs. I understand your line of thought about rookies, but all I have said is that he has a great swing with power and he could be worth a look in fantasy baseball. What team owner wouldn't take that production from a second baseman? I don't know if it will sustain, but to not agree that he is off to a great start is ridiculous. You aren't wrong, just unwilling to grant the fact that he's had an impressive first few weeks. Go ahead and agree, it won't make you wrong on your initial thought, but not agreeing with all of my comments so far will..

28 minutes ago, paulinstl said:

Interesting take considering you made sure to point out his stats after 17 ABs. I understand your line of thought about rookies, but all I have said is that he has a great swing with power and he could be worth a look in fantasy baseball. What team owner wouldn't take that production from a second baseman? I don't know if it will sustain, but to not agree that he is off to a great start is ridiculous. You aren't wrong, just unwilling to grant the fact that he's had an impressive first few weeks. Go ahead and agree, it won't make you wrong on your initial thought, but not agreeing with all of my comments so far will..

Honestly, you're really going too far on this.  My initial response was making fun of my Pirates pitching, nothing more.  I just kept going on about it because I found it funny.

He's a rookie.  He's going to have ups and downs that are more "extremish" than regulars until things settle.  I wouldn't even agree to the statement that he's off to a great start.  He had  3 great games against the..... PIRATES.

You came here boasting about his first series (10 AB's... funny you called me out after making a joke after 17 AB's, but I digress), where he had a slash line of .500 / .583 / .700... then you were silent for 4 days.  Why?  I'll tell you why.  It's because his slash line in those 4 games (12 PA's), was .000 / .083 / .000, where he struck out 7 times.  You wait and pop up after he goes 4 for 4.  Give me a break.

Look, the kids a solid prospect who's streaky.  He had a great series against the... hahaha, Pirates, since then, had an 0 - 11 stretch and then batted .583 over the next 4 games.  That's very "extremish".  Neither the high or the low will continue.  In 475 AAA plate appearances, he's a .284 / .335 / .530 hitter.  In the majors, he'll probably be a .265 / .325 / .450 guy, during his peak years.  You want to blow your wad over a future .775 guy for about 6 to 7 years, you go right ahead.  Knock yourself out.  There's nothing wrong with a .750 OPS second baseman, in fact, it's a nice player to have.  Neil Walker, in his time with the Pirates was exactly that.  He had a slash line of .273 / .339 / .433 in his 6 full years.  I was happy to have him... but no one ever heard me say how great out 2B was.

So I'm blowing my load because I suggested the kid might be worth a look?. No matter how you want to spin it, he's had a great start. I'm looking forward for your updates when he struggles.

Everything is an argument in this place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulinstl said:

Everything is an argument in this place. 

No it isn’t…

• Haha 3

the champions in the last 2 FULL seasons (excluding the covid year) entered June under 500.

The Braves started 25-26. The Nationals started 19-31.

I dont think its a good thing for baseball.  you dont want the appearance of random champions as it makes following the regular season pointless, which is a growing problem for all major sports.

4 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

the champions in the last 2 FULL seasons (excluding the covid year) entered June under 500.

The Braves started 25-26. The Nationals started 19-31.

I dont think its a good thing for baseball.  you dont want the appearance of random champions as it makes following the regular season pointless, which is a growing problem for all major sports.

How does it point to the champion being random or the regular season pointless? Having followed the Braves rather closely last season, they made a ton of moves that all paid off. A typically well run organization, there was nothing random about their World Series win and certainly shows that it’s important to address your faults as the season moves along. 

as a rays fan, it sucked to win 100 plus games and get bounced early. If that’s what you mean by random… meaning teams can clearly dominate the regular season and not win it all, that’s sports. 

If anything, the regular season is too long for sure. Shortening it would obviously put more emphasis and meaning on each regular season game/series but the playoffs will still often come down to which team gets hot.