Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

UPDATE: Melvin Gordon resigns with Denver

They're coming off injuries, but with Dobbins and Edwards already there? Plus Lamar siphoning off carries, that sounds like RB fantasy hell.

Broncos have two 3rds and two 4ths. My guess is they use one of those picks on a RB.

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Broncos have two 3rds and two 4ths. My guess is they use one of those picks on a RB.

Probably so, or they're gonna sign another RB at some point, maybe both.

The days of the workhorse RB are nearly gone.

Baltimore "still has a need" at RB?

They had like five RB1s on the team last fall (granted many of them were injured), what happened?

Seems like if Dobbins, Edwards, Lamar, and whoever else are the problem, Melvin Gordon isn't the answer.

Darn J Williams is going be to expensive if that happens.  

Returning from knee injuries can be difficult, if that’s the case Gordon could be a very good rb2.  

I'd say Javonte hype is already priced in with his ADP as the 6-7th RB and a top 10 overall ADP.  

Is the market going to price him above the following RBs if Gordon leaves ??

Kamara
CMC
Chubb
Ekeler  

Personally, I want no part of CMC or Ekeler in the top 6 picks.  I'd take Javonte right now over both of them but I'm probably higher on him, regardless of Gordon's status, than most.  

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

They had like five RB1s on the team last fall (granted many of them were injured), what happened?

Seems like if Dobbins, Edwards, Lamar, and whoever else are the problem, Melvin Gordon isn't the answer.

Yes.  

I thought their RB situation was good, but ruined by injury.    This feels like they are feeling nervous about being burned by injury and now are overdoing it in terms of building depth at the position.   Another possibility ........is that they still have injury concerns about one or more of their RB's on roster and hes a really good insurance policy.

He certainly doesnt hurt the team.  hes versatile, can run or catch.   but I dont see the need.   Not here.

I also figured Gordon would sign somewhere he thinks he can start.   that is far from being a guarantee here.   so it doesnt make sense for him either.    so for these reasons, this report makes no sense.... yet.... there it is.   Clearly there is something there.   Maybe the team is just kicking tires.

As for Javonte Williams.... there should be hype around him.  he had a great rookie year.  over 1000 total yards and he wasnt even the starter.

in a keeper league, hes a keeper.  a young player that is just about to step into Stardom.

I think hes ready.

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

They probably want someone halfway reliable

5 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I'd say Javonte hype is already priced in with his ADP as the 6-7th RB and a top 10 overall ADP.  

Kamara
CMC
Chubb
Ekeler  

Personally, I want no part of CMC or Ekeler in the top 6 picks.  I'd take Javonte right now over both of them but I'm probably higher on him, regardless of Gordon's status, than most.  

I would take him over all four of those Rbs if Gordon leaves.    I think with Mr Wilson at Qb, the Broncos will have an outstanding offense, I have a few of their skilled position players ranked higher then everyone else I’m sure.  1/2 points 12 team ppr   

But if Gordon stays I would take the other four over J Will, 1/2 point 12 team ppr.  

Anyone know what’s up with the Kamara issue he has in Vegas ? 

Javonte Williams is my keeper. :banana:  Still, until Melvin Gordon signs elsewhere I'll wait cautiously and hopeful that he's gone.

13 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Javonte Williams is my keeper. :banana:  Still, until Melvin Gordon signs elsewhere I'll wait cautiously and hopeful that he's gone.

he was being phased in to be the starter next year anyhow.  Gordon or no Gordon.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Kamara
CMC
Chubb
Ekeler  

It could be?

Only a fool would still draft CMC high.

Ekeler, well, he's excellent, but how reliable?

Kamara, he's on the decline and has some major legal trouble, and probable suspension in his future.

Chubb, well he has Kareem Hunt to contend with.

J Williams kind of moves up the list by default

24 minutes ago, polecatt said:

It could be?

Only a fool would still draft CMC high.

Ekeler, well, he's excellent, but how reliable?

Kamara, he's on the decline and has some major legal trouble, and probable suspension in his future.

Chubb, well he has Kareem Hunt to contend with.

J Williams kind of moves up the list by default

agreed.

some of those names will go sooner because of name recognition.   but in most cases I'd suggest that is a mistake.

I could see a lot of people taking Ekeler ahead of him because hes still young and more of a proven commodity.  And if it looks as though Kamara may not face suspension until  next season I could see someone taking him in redraft formats ahead of our guy.

CMC shouldnt go earlier, but once again It only takes one to believe in him for it to happen.... and when he was good... he was spectacular.  some people dont forget that sort of thing.

8 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.

some of those names will go sooner because of name recognition.   but in most cases I'd suggest that is a mistake.

I could see a lot of people taking Ekeler ahead of him because hes still young and more of a proven commodity.  And if it looks as though Kamara may not face suspension until  next season I could see someone taking him in redraft formats ahead of our guy.

CMC shouldnt go earlier, but once again It only takes one to believe in him for it to happen.... and when he was good... he was spectacular.  some people dont forget that sort of thing.

Oh for sure, so many will be locked into the idea that they have to draft RBs in the first round, and someone will see CMC's past numbers and draft him. It just won't be me.

Kamara, he may dodge legal issues, maybe, but as concerning to me, his decline. He had 240 carries last season which was 50+ more than his previous seasons. His receiving numbers were almost cut in half. He'll be 27 going into his 6th season. That's just not a trend I trust with an RB, especially considering the Saints are rebuilding after Brees.

• Like 1

Way too early to count Javonte as a bell-cow 1st rounder. The draft isn't for a couple weeks yet. What if the Broncos draft Brian Robinson Jr, the workhorse back from Alabama with one of their 3rd rounders, or one of the Georgia guys including Dalvin Cook's little brother.  If Mike Boone is the top backup come training camp, well then fine all aboard...

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

he was being phased in to be the starter next year anyhow.  Gordon or no Gordon.

J Williams 57 att/ targets last four games, Gordon 52 last four, I think if Gordon stays its to keep it a RBBC.  

23 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Way too early to count Javonte as a bell-cow 1st rounder. The draft isn't for a couple weeks yet. What if the Broncos draft Brian Robinson Jr, the workhorse back from Alabama with one of their 3rd rounders, or one of the Georgia guys including Dalvin Cook's little brother.  If Mike Boone is the top backup come training camp, well then fine all aboard...

Very little bell cow Rbs still around.  

But here is the good news, if one does pencil J Williams in as a 1st round pick, and the Broncos draft another top rb, one has plenty of time to change it. See that’s the easy part.  

Makes you say mmmmm.  

Philippians 4:6-7.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

J Williams 57 att/ targets last four games, Gordon 52 last four, I think if Gordon stays its to keep it a RBBC.  

if he stays it will hinder his value, but he got over 1000 total yards and he wasnt even the starter.   I think hes earned extra carries.   

for me the only question is how many extra carries does he get?

I'll admit, I didnt think hed be able to put up this kind of numbers going into this season. I didnt think hed get anything significant with Gordon there.  but I was wrong.  kid is pretty good.

that said, if Gordon stays, I think this transitions from Gordon leading the committee to Williams leading the committee.   For that reason I dont think Gordon stays.   but if he does stay I'd bump Williams total up by a couple hundred total yards over last years numbers at the very minimum.  

there is the possibility Gordon thinks this may be his best shot at a superbowl with Russel Wilson's arrival.  if that happens he may stay.  I just wouldnt bet on it.   Right now I'd say there is a 30% chance he stays and 70% chance he goes.   its my best guess.  more likely he goes and team drafts a RB (or signs one)   for me this guy is a low end RB1 or high end RB2 in any of those scenarios(assuming 12 team league).  if they bring in someone who is clearly the backup, then I bump him up a couple spots. 

keep in mind this is where I draft him. not necessarily what he produces which could be  higher.   I like what he brings.    That said the sample size I looked at is a bit small for my liking.  if I saw more of him I might like him more.  

that said... If I could get him as an RB2 in any format I'd be VERY happy with the price I paid.  Even if he was the first RB2 off the board.

If they bring back Gordon it’s to continue what they did last season, I think they should bring Gordon back.  

As a ff owner I would rather see him sign elsewhere, I liked J Williams a lot, and I remember telling Keeper owners that I would draft him #1 overall in their rookie drafted over Harris.  Pitts was my 1b. 

2 minutes ago, Donkey said:

A little weird he's still unsigned

At this point, teams are probably waiting for the draft to see what shakes out.

Javonte had SIX games last season with less than DD carries.  He averaged 12 carries a game with 43 receptions on the year.  

If you add up his actual carries to match his average in those games he missed the DD, 12 carry, mark; then that would add 30 carries to give him a projected 233 carries (up from 203 LY)

233 carries would've placed him 9th in carries last year and 276 touches placed him 4th overall.  You don't get much more bell cow than that these days.  

This isn't even projecting more than 12 carries a game, which is doubtful.  Broncos new HC obviously comes from GB where they ran out a two back system "thunder/lightening" type of deal with Jones/Dillon.  Whether they draft a thumper like Jones or keep Gordon one would think Javonte continues to operate in that 15-18 touch per game range with a great chance to come out as a top 3 RB this season.  

• Like 1

Dillon woke up last season, which hurt A Jones, if Gordon stays its going to be hard to see J Williams being more then a low rb1- high rb2.  

3 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Javonte had SIX games last season with less than DD carries.  He averaged 12 carries a game with 43 receptions on the year.  

If you add up his actual carries to match his average in those games he missed the DD, 12 carry, mark; then that would add 30 carries to give him a projected 233 carries (up from 203 LY)

233 carries would've placed him 9th in carries last year and 276 touches placed him 4th overall.  You don't get much more bell cow than that these days.  

This isn't even projecting more than 12 carries a game, which is doubtful.  Broncos new HC obviously comes from GB where they ran out a two back system "thunder/lightening" type of deal with Jones/Dillon.  Whether they draft a thumper like Jones or keep Gordon one would think Javonte continues to operate in that 15-18 touch per game range with a great chance to come out as a top 3 RB this season.  

yes, 6 games with less than double digit carries.   in a rookie season you get that.   rookies often will get benched for missing a blocking assignment or fumbling or something of the like.  keep in mind this kid wasnt the starter so its real easy to lose touches when you have a capable #1 on the roster.

with as few touches as he had, he still put up over 1000 yards.   perfect RB2 and you likely could have got him late in your draft or on the wire.

Not so much this season

but if Gordon stays I'd expect a more modest bump to his numbers.   likely an extra 2-3 carries per game along with maybe 1 or 2 more targets in the pass game.  likely a high end RB2 or possibly low end RB1 in PPR.

If Gordon goes, it really depends on who they replace him with, but I'd expect low end RB1 numbers across the board in most formats with some more potential upside if he becomes a full on 3 down back

IF Gordo stays then who are you taking ahead of Javonte ??  

Another potential (and highly likely) positive for JW is the removal of old timers Fagnio as HC and Shurmur as OC.  Williams was never going to have much of a leash his rookie year behind a vet like Gordon and with traditionalists like Fangio and Shurmur calling the shots.  Even if they bring Gordon back I'm banking on the new young guys to recognize the exceptional tape and analytics to maximize Javonte's ability.  Low end RB1 with top 3 potential.  

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

Dillon woke up last season, which hurt A Jones, if Gordon stays its going to be hard to see J Williams being more then a low rb1- high rb2.  

I’m not sure how much impact Gordon has either way. Even if he leaves, they will replace him with someone(s) else.

I like Javonte as an RB1 regardless based on his no longer being a rookie and greatly improved QB play

32 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m not sure how much impact Gordon has either way. Even if he leaves, they will replace him with someone(s) else.

I like Javonte as an RB1 regardless based on his no longer being a rookie and greatly improved QB play

Greatly improved QB play is the underrated factor here 👍

25 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Gordon will be replaced if he leaves.  no doubt of that.

but who they replace him with will likely determine whether Javonte's role will change and to what degree.

Javonte looks to be very adept at catching the ball.   a skillset that appears to be better than his scouting report out of college indicated.

I like the team dynamic with Gordon because Gordon is a complete back.  he can run or catch so you dont need to change your offense when switching from one to the other.

but that said, if Gordon thinks he can start somewhere else, thats likely the direction he goes.   if he cant get a starting gig, then I think he stays and plays in this timeshare where his portion of the share is getting smaller. 

Javonte can still learn a thing or two from Gordon so I think its not a bad thing if Gordon stays.   But if hes fully ready for a full time gig, the team may not want Gordon back. certainly not at his cap hit..

1 hour ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

IF Gordo stays then who are you taking ahead of Javonte ??  

Another potential (and highly likely) positive for JW is the removal of old timers Fagnio as HC and Shurmur as OC.  Williams was never going to have much of a leash his rookie year behind a vet like Gordon and with traditionalists like Fangio and Shurmur calling the shots.  Even if they bring Gordon back I'm banking on the new young guys to recognize the exceptional tape and analytics to maximize Javonte's ability.  Low end RB1 with top 3 potential.  

Mmm top 3 is a tough one I think.  

If Gordon returns.  

50 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Without question they upgraded at Qb, but Gordon is a good sold rb, so if he does leave, they will then draft someone I guess, don’t know who else would be available, but if it’s a rookie, he’ll get the short leash, and I don’t think their is any other rb available right now with the talent of Gordon, is there? So if Gordon doesn’t return I’m going to rise my expectations for J Williams to the upper rb 1 rankings.  Gordon avg more yards per rush and per rec of the two, I think Gordon is better then most, of I’m the Broncos he’s staying, as a ff owner I want him to move on, Falcons. 

I think Williams is a darn good one, and I hope those on keepers took him over Harris.  

Harris finished RB4 in half ppr. Javonte finished 16th. I'm sure Harris keeper owners don't regret their decision.

MMMM....

Thanks...

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Harris finished RB4 in half ppr. Javonte finished 16th. I'm sure Harris keeper owners don't regret their decision.

MMMM....

Thanks...

Harris stands a good chance of losing significant work to Rhamondre Stevenson next year.

Plus he stunk down the stretch. But the whole damn team did.

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Harris stands a good chance of losing significant work to Rhamondre Stevenson next year.

Did the Steelers trade Harris to the Patriots, or did the Patriots trade Stevenson to the Steelers?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Did the Steelers trade Harris to the Patriots, or did the Patriots trade Stevenson to the Steelers?

My bad :doh:

39 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Plus he stunk down the stretch. But the whole damn team did.

I think Stevenson is a tough one to value. I would expect him to get more work going forward.  

Those that took Harris over J Williams will wish they had picked the better player, and that’s going to be Williams. Book it Dano.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think Stevenson is a tough one to value. I would expect him to get more work going forward.  

You have to value him as a low end RB3 or RB4, but you hope he ends up an RB2

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Those that took Harris over J Williams will wish they had picked the better player, and that’s going to be Williams. Book it Dano.  

Well since according to you it’s all luck wouldn’t there be a 50/50 chance that Harris would be better? 

Mmmmm…..

thanks.