Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Patio setups

What do you got for dealing with hot and cold?

I’m in a climate where it’s chilly in the early spring and late fall (and obviously cold in the winter), but hot in the summer. So I’ve got some patio heaters for the shoulder seasons but starting to think what I should do for the summer months.

Do you guys have outdoor ceilings fans or what?

And on those patio heaters, I’ve got the tall ones that are maybe sorta decent for providing a bit of warmth over a sizeable area, but I’m thinking I should shift to something a little more concentrated for when it’s like 40 degrees 🥶 

I have a bunch of water toys scattered around covered in pollen and dirt. There is probably a hose going from one end of the patio to the other. Maybe a basketball, kids bows and arrows, toy shovels, maybe a tonka truck or two, and other toys. My grill sits on one end under an eve to protect it from the elements.

There is also a few almost dead milkweed plants that my wife thinks can still survive in pots.

Ceiling fans, patio heaters 🤣

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

And on those patio heaters, I’ve got the tall ones that are maybe sorta decent for providing a bit of warmth over a sizeable area, but I’m thinking I should shift to something a little more concentrated for when it’s like 40 degrees 🥶 

If it's just you and another person then you can get one of those attachments which connect directly to your LP tank.  Very concentrated heat.  Also quick and easy to attach and then put away when you don't need it. 

Edit: this sort of thing... 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Avenger-Avenger-Infra-Red-Tank-Top-Propane-Heater-Single-Burner-15-000-BTU/5001199635

• Like 1

hot tub and pool, fire pit.  Under extreme conditions we also have a climate controlled house.

• Thanks 1

I'm interested in this topic as well, as I don't want my yard to look like @MTSkiBum's Sanford and Son re-enactment. :D

We moved to our "forever" home last summer; love the yard, landscaping in general, view, and proximity to hiking, but the covered part of the patio doesn't cover very much.  Also it is somewhat west facing which is not ideal for afternoon sun in AZ summers.  We're currently in the middle of a remodel for the inside so we've got 6-12 months before we tackle the patio.

Some thoughts:

- We plan to make the covered area much larger, probably extending over our pool to have part of that covered as well.  That's more due to the shape of the pool and location in the yard, vs. a strong desire to do it.  But it will provide shade for part of the day over the pool.

- Yes, we do have cold as well as heat here.  Like the PNW I imagine, our "cold" is fixable through heaters to make it quite nice to be outside.  I've got a Costco propane heater, 8-9' things like you see on restaurant patios, it works well but seems to go through propane a lot.  I bought an infrared one around Christmas that I'm happy with, google "Dr Heater infrared with tripod".  I envision getting more of these without the tripod and mounting them under the enlarged patio.

- Mounted TV is a must; watching football during the nice winter months and watching baseball while cooling in the pool.

- We'll probably do a ceiling fan since we are running electrical but honestly, we had one in our last house patio and didn't use it that often.  

- Part of the new design will be a built-in grill; we currently don't have any grill and may just get a cheap one to tide us over for the summer.

Ceiling fan, a propane firepit, smoker, grill, a table and 4 chairs.  

22 minutes ago, vomit said:

hot tub and pool, fire pit.  Under extreme conditions we also have a climate controlled house.

I have a pool and a pond.  The pond would be good for you. 

32 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have a bunch of water toys scattered around covered in pollen and dirt. There is probably a hose going from one end of the patio to the other. Maybe a basketball, kids bows and arrows, toy shovels, maybe a tonka truck or two, and other toys. My grill sits on one end under an eve to protect it from the elements.

There is also a few almost dead milkweed plants that my wife thinks can still survive in pots.

Ceiling fans, patio heaters 🤣

This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid :D 

We have a propane circle heater things with glass beads in it.  Use it in the fall when we sit out and bs.

Its on a deck btw...no roof.  Have a small covered patio in the back but it is too small and the sun blasts you in the late afternoon.

41 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm interested in this topic as well, as I don't want my yard to look like @MTSkiBum's Sanford and Son re-enactment. :D

We moved to our "forever" home last summer; love the yard, landscaping in general, view, and proximity to hiking, but the covered part of the patio doesn't cover very much.  Also it is somewhat west facing which is not ideal for afternoon sun in AZ summers.  We're currently in the middle of a remodel for the inside so we've got 6-12 months before we tackle the patio.

12 month lease?  :unsure:

sorry jerry, couldn't pass it up.  :banana:

1 minute ago, NorthernVike said:

12 month lease?  :unsure:

sorry jerry, couldn't pass it up.  :banana:

:D

We actually closed on the house three days before my first scan after chemo/immuno started, so we didn't know if the treatment was working yet.  Thankfully it did, but my wife and I discussed that "forever" might not be very long for me, and that we should be comfortable that she could stay here without me.  

Unfortunately I seem to be sticking around a little longer, as I think she was talking to Gloria about recommendations for some pool boys and landscapers.  :unsure:

In a long way I’ll answer your question. Our main floor goes out back to a deck that is the length of the house. It’s actually pretty ridiculous massive. We have a hot tub on one end but then I would say half of the deck maybe 30 feet is covered and then an additional 10 feet on the other side is open by the stairs where I have two smokers. 

To answer your question about summer the biggest thing is just having cover overhead. We have two ceiling fans and then these two roll down shades that hook to the deck if it’s too bright in the evening hours.

down the stairs we have a stone fire pit. 

i’ll try to take a picture of it if I can find a host the site will allow. And Jesus Christ just let us post photos Mike! :)

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

:D

We actually closed on the house three days before my first scan after chemo/immuno started, so we didn't know if the treatment was working yet.  Thankfully it did, but my wife and I discussed that "forever" might not be very long for me, and that we should be comfortable that she could stay here without me.  

Unfortunately I seem to be sticking around a little longer, as I think she was talking to Gloria about recommendations for some pool boys and landscapers.  :unsure:

In that case...whisk her off to the bedroom for some "Booker Time"  :doublethumbsup:

42 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

In a long way I’ll answer your question. Our main floor goes out back to a deck that is the length of the house. It’s actually pretty ridiculous massive. We have a hot tub on one end but then I would say half of the deck maybe 30 feet is covered and then an additional 10 feet on the other side is open by the stairs where I have two smokers. 

To answer your question about summer the biggest thing is just having cover overhead. We have two ceiling fans and then these two roll down shades that hook to the deck if it’s too bright in the evening hours.

down the stairs we have a stone fire pit. 

i’ll try to take a picture of it if I can find a host the site will allow. And Jesus Christ just let us post photos Mike! :)

Thanks, sounds like we have similar setups though I haven’t yet sprung for the hot tub and I’m still working on the ceiling fans :cheers:

Is there anything you now wish you had done differently?

And my plan was to put the hot tub on the main floor under the huge deck. Still get a decent view from there and seems like less issues with weight, water spillage, etc to have it on hard ground versus the deck. Any thoughts on that matter?

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Thanks, sounds like we have similar setups though I haven’t yet sprung for the hot tub and I’m still working on the ceiling fans :cheers:

Is there anything you now wish you had done differently?

And my plan was to put the hot tub on the main floor under the huge deck. Still get a decent view from there and seems like less issues with weight, water spillage, etc to have it on hard ground versus the deck. Any thoughts on that matter?

Yeah you just have to be careful having it under the deck with that much moisture going up to the wood. We liked it higher on the deck so we didn’t have to walk out in the cold very far or downstairs in the view is better. 
I mean some of that’s going to just come down to what you’re able to do but we ended up adding onto our deck to kinda go around the corner of the house for privacy and yeah the weight bearing part of the deck has to be pretty substantial for sure.

My turn: I have a smart tv I tired outside the other day. The wi-fi works fine, I can get Netflix, prime etc. Would an HD antennae work to get the over there air broadcast channels, and would it need to be on the roof? Thanks. Covered patio btw, under the deck but it has a water system. 

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m in a climate where it’s chilly in the early spring and late fall (and obviously cold in the winter), but hot in the summer. So I’ve got some patio heaters for the shoulder seasons but starting to think what I should do for the summer months.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195508832@N08/shares/44Je3Q 

Honestly we barely use the fans at all if ever. Don’t remember where you live but in the summer it’s usually either so God bless it hot out the fans won’t matter or the coverage overhead will keep you cool enough anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195508832@N08/shares/44Je3Q 

Honestly we barely use the fans at all if ever. Don’t remember where you live but in the summer it’s usually either so God bless it hot out the fans won’t matter or the coverage overhead will keep you cool enough anyway

Dang that is a nice setup. I don’t have quite the shade coverage as the roof is higher and pitched, but otherwise that’s pretty similar (minus the sweet hot tub :) )

I have heard people usually don’t actually use the ceiling fans so I’m wondering if there’s anything better? I guess not though, I mean I’ve thought about just bringing some huge box fans out there and plugging them in but that seems pretty ghetto :lol:

Good call on moisture under the deck from a hot tub. I had not thought of that. Might be back to the drawing board!

If it’s too cold for the heaters to be enough, go inside. 

Ceiling fans on patios always made me laugh. 

6 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Just spent eleven grand on a a patio cover and slab in the the back of my house. Having a ceiling fan installed next week. Added some cool lights that are amazing. Light up different colors. All are going to be on a remote control. Our winters are mild here but I like sitting by a fire. Looking at getting a gas fire pit. The one with marble stones, no logs. I’ve decorated the back fence with musical things. Old cymbals, drum sticks, an old xylophone, tiki torches, and a beat up metal guitar. If you build it, they will come.

Don't have anything but clothes for cold. 

We have four ceiling fans on the back patio for heat. They help keep Mosquitoes away at night too. 

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

Nice. That just vent out the top?

Yep. Wood burning, with a gas line ran to an ignition tube in the fireplace to start the fire. I use propane as my heating source. 

11 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Yep. Wood burning, with a gas line ran to an ignition tube in the fireplace to start the fire. I use propane as my heating source. 

Hmm interesting. Guess I haven’t heard of that before. There’s no issues burning wood on top of a gas line?

35 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Hmm interesting. Guess I haven’t heard of that before. There’s no issues burning wood on top of a gas line?

In the picture below the center of the fireplace you can see a silver valve. You turn the gas on to light the wood and once your fire is started you turn the gas off by the valve. No issues after the gas is off, sort of like a grill. 

12 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

In the picture below the center of the fireplace you can see a silver valve. You turn the gas on to light the wood and once your fire is started you turn the gas off by the valve. No issues after the gas is off, sort of like a grill. 

Oh ok…solid. We have a pretty nice area down below our deck that has a circular rock fireplace from our gas line. We probably need to use it more than we do. 

Underneath my deck I put up a roof covering half of the patio. BUT.........I have a smoker, fire pit and bbq underneath their too, gonna have to roof up the other half underneath there this summer. No fans, my cold beer and big screen is in the basement, get's too hot or cold I get lazy there. You guys with the pics-NICE setups!

8 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Oh ok…solid. We have a pretty nice area down below our deck that has a circular rock fireplace from our gas line. We probably need to use it more than we do. 

It replaces starter logs. I love it. Wouldn’t have even thought about it if my good friend wasn’t a plumber.