Big Guy

The Alan Parsons Project

As a seasoned live concert fan, I gotta say that last week's Alan Parsons Project Concert in Phoenix was quite possibly the best I've ever seen / heard. 

I've seen many bands and concerts in my day, Rush, Queen, Styx, Journey, Kansas, Moody Blues, Yes, ELP, The Fixx, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, etc.

This was seriously soooooo freakin' good!

I thought it was going to be sleepy / boring....but nope, it was pretty high energy with amazing vocalists / musicians.

If you like them at all, I'm encouraging you to grab a ticket, mine was only $40.

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

This was seriously soooooo freakin' good!

Are you Sirius?

• Haha 2

I don’t dig nerd rock. But I’m going to see Jimmy Buffett again in august and I hope it doesn’t rain this time. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, posty said:

Are you Sirius?

nice 😎

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t dig nerd rock. But I’m going to see Jimmy Buffett again in august and I hope it doesn’t rain this time. 

I sure do.....love intelligent, melodic, progressive stuff.

I've always liked Jimmy a little bit, but not nearly as much as Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor who I'd put in the same genre. Maybe add a touch of the Beach Boys & The Grateful Dead.

You're not a Parrot Head though are ya?  And I'll bet those cheeseburgers are extra pricey nowadays.

53 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I this thread was about a movie.  :doh:

2 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I sure do.....love intelligent, melodic, progressive stuff.

I've always liked Jimmy a little bit, but not nearly as much as Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor who I'd put in the same genre. Maybe add a touch of the Beach Boys & The Grateful Dead.

You're not a Parrot Head though are ya?  And I'll bet those cheeseburgers are extra pricey nowadays.

Only my second time going to see him. I wish I had started going a long time ago. It’s a great scene. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Only my second time going to see him. I wish I had started going a long time ago. It’s a great scene. 

I'm guessing there are plenty of wine coolers and magical skunk smoke a plenty, as well as mullets and tube tops :P 

13 minutes ago, kutulu said:

I wouldn't want to be like you :nono:

nice #2 😎

That's a band I always figured I'd like if I dug into their music, which isn't surprising since I love the bands you listed in your OP.  But I never did it.  And they were here in Phoenix, bummer.  :(

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

That's a band I always figured I'd like if I dug into their music, which isn't surprising since I love the bands you listed in your OP.  But I never did it.  And they were here in Phoenix, bummer.  :(

yeah, last Saturday @ Celebrity Theater ( in the round ) my 1st time there, great place to see a concert

coming up there soon is Rick Springfield, John Waite ( Baby's ) & Men at Work which I love......I'll meet ya there! 

yeah, last Saturday @ Celebrity Theater ( in the round ) my 1st time there, great place to see a concert

coming up there soon is Rick Springfield, John Waite ( Baby's ) & Men at Work which I love......I'll meet ya there! 

Celebrity is awesome; been there only once, to see Styx just before the Covid shutdowns, it was great.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Celebrity is awesome; been there only once, to see Styx just before the Covid shutdowns, it was great.  :thumbsup: 

that would have been great!

26 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

other acts I'd like to see coming up are....

Steve Hackett doing a Genesis "Seconds Out" show

and Roger Waters

He set out to make another "Dark Side of the Moon"......

The Alan Parsons Project ~ "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"

so good!!!

great song man!  They did that live when I saw them a couple weeks ago......so good!

I saw them twice back in the day, one time David Pack from Ambrosia was in the touring band. Parsons always had great musicians in his band.

posting this right now because I'm listening to it, and I've had some wine lol

Alan Parsons is now up there with Jeff Lynne in my book.......should be Sir Alan Parsons by now.

1 minute ago, paulinstl said:

I saw them twice back in the day, one time David Pack from Ambrosia was in the touring band. Parsons always had great musicians in his band.

Absolutely!  And man, I love David Pack.....have you ever heard the debut Ambrosia album?  Alan Parsons produced it. ( quite prog )

posting this right now because I'm listening to it, and I've had some wine lol

Alan Parsons is now up there with Jeff Lynne in my book.......should be Sir Alan Parsons by now.

Absolutely!  And man, I love David Pack.....have you ever heard the debut Ambrosia album?  Alan Parsons produced it. ( quite prog )

I have all their stuff on vinyl. I had a girl over to my place one night back in the 80s and se was oohing and ahhinng over how big my record collection was. I told her to pick out a good one while I made drinks. She didn't get too far into the A's because that was the album she picked out. Unfortunately for her my record collection's size impressed her more than the size of anything else I offered her that night.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paulinstl said:

I have all their stuff on vinyl. I had a girl over to my place one night back in the 80s and se was oohing and ahhinng over how big my record collection was. I told her to pick out a good one while I made drinks. She didn't get too far into the A's because that was the album she picked out. Unfortunately for her my record collection's size impressed her more than the size of anything else I offered her that night.

Nice, that's more than me, I've only got the Debut and "Life Beyond L.A. on Vinyl, as well as "Road Island" on cassette (which is excellent)

After seeing this thread and realizing I'd never listened to them, I put on "I Robot" today. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Brand New Album soon, here's the 1st song released that features Tommy Shaw from Styx.....

Never in a million years did I expect to see an APP thread in the Geek Club.

Have seen them live three times.  Most amazing was backed by a full symphony orchestra - if you ever get the chance, do it.

Lots of great ground covered here already, so I’ll point out something which you might not be aware … before he passed, Eric Woolfson recorded an album called “The Alan Parsons Project that never was”.  Well worth a read of the liner notes and track listings. https://www.ericwoolfsonmusic.com/the-alan-parsons-project-that-never-was/index.html

also,  the Poe musical is pretty moving.

• Like 1

Interesting to see this thread as I was just watching youtube videos yesterday of the Alan Parson Project with a symphony orchestra where they performed overseas in 2013.  

• Like 1

Tell you ‘bout a dream that I have every night

It ain’t Kodachrome and it isn’t black or white

• Like 1

Interesting….

• Like 1

Not looking it up but as I recall he either produced Dark Side Of The Moon or had something to do with it.

Unbelievable show they put on too,I once said their music was so perfect live it was like having on a giant pair of headphones.

This is from a DVD I own by them and IMHO captures all the greatness....

• Thanks 2

On 4/28/2022 at 5:30 PM, Pimpadeaux said:

After seeing this thread and realizing I'd never listened to them, I put on "I Robot" today. Good stuff.

Excellent, that's where I started too :) 

On 5/31/2022 at 2:32 PM, nzoner said:

This is from a DVD I own by them and IMHO captures all the greatness....

one of my favorites!

On 5/31/2022 at 2:30 PM, nzoner said:

Not looking it up but as I recall he either produced Dark Side Of The Moon or had something to do with it.

Unbelievable show they put on too,I once said their music was so perfect live it was like having on a giant pair of headphones.

Nice....good to see such deep appreciation

Yes, Alan engineered "Dark Side of the Moon"......I may be wrong but I think it was his 1st time out

On 5/26/2022 at 11:07 PM, Hook Echo said:

It ain’t Kodachrome and it isn’t black or white

a live version from 2004

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, Utilit99 said:

Is this Alan Parsons? 

No, but WOW, WEIRD........this song has been on my mind for a month or so now!

and HAHA......is that Bruce Gender?