SUXBNME

Baby Chickens

So in the infinite wisdom of my heterosexual life partner, we NEED chickens.
Why, you ask?  Most would think for the eggs, right? 

Nope. We need them for the Chicken poop for his garden. :wall:

So as of 2 days ago, gypsybrat purchased 8 baby hens (1 week old) and is harboring them in his room. 

I do have to admit that they are incredibly cute :wub:

Pics and a vid or 2 to come

• Like 1

You should go for eggs, my college buddy raises multiple hens for eggs. He says they taste much better than the store.

They are pretty ridiculous with the animals/kids, 1 kid, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 4 hens. They don't even live in the suburbs, they live in the middle of Aurora :lol:

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Heterosexual?

Believe it or not, yep. No butt sex

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You should go for eggs, my college buddy raises multiple hens for eggs. He says they taste much better than the store.

They are pretty ridiculous with the animals/kids, 1 kid, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 4 hens. They don't even live in the suburbs, they live in the middle of Aurora :lol:

Oh, we're getting the eggs, it just wasn't his first reason to get them

He also grows worms in my extra bedroom. For the garden. troof

2 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

What is the benefit to grow rather than purchase. I wouldn't think buying worms would be expensive in the first place.

Avian flu that will be impetus to cull an incredible amount of foul is one of the next shoes to drop. There will be a massive vaccine crusade for those left. 

There's a decent chance having chickens right now is very timely, just protect them well.

4 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

I thought this was going to be about chicks. 

He hasn’t been with a chick in years.

50 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

He hasn’t been with a chick in years.

Or forever. 

14 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Do you know how loud those things get when they lay an egg? Your neighbors are gonna be pisssed. :lol:

54 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Do you know how loud those things get when they lay an egg? Your neighbors are gonna be pisssed. :lol:

Do chickens have an egg hole or does it shoot out their bagina?

16 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Do chickens have an egg hole or does it shoot out their bagina?

"The vagina is the last stop of the egg’s journey until it finally comes out in this world. Although it is not involved in egg formation, it deposits an oily protective shell covering known as a cuticle. This layer of coating assists in the egg-laying process by giving the egg protection from any bacteria as it has to exit through the cloaca."

du jour? :huh:

Link

On 4/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, MTSkiBum said:

What is the benefit to grow rather than purchase. I wouldn't think buying worms would be expensive in the first place.

I actually don't do it for the worms, I do it for the worm poop (castings) which is one of the best amendments you can use in your garden.  You can buy that too, but I like being self-sustaining when it comes to the garden.  Its just a one time purchase of worms that you can feed scraps and garden foliage to and they will reproduce like crazy.  Once I get enough worms working to sustain my garden, I can just toss the extra worms to the chickens as treats.

• Like 2

I think is a fine idea.  

I would double check with your city /town ordinance to make sure you don’t need a permit or something.  Especially if you have a Rooster. 

57 minutes ago, Gypsybrat said:

I actually don't do it for the worms, I do it for the worm poop (castings) which is one of the best amendments you can use in your garden.  You can buy that too, but I like being self-sustaining when it comes to the garden.  Its just a one time purchase of worms that you can feed scraps and garden foliage to and they will reproduce like crazy.  Once I get enough worms working to sustain my garden, I can just toss the extra worms to the chickens as treats.

You must have quite the garden if you are going through all of the effort of sourcing your own fertilizer and worms.

This year we are going smaller than average on our garden, I have two cherry tomato's and i have a few different subspecies of blackberries about to ripen up. Over the winter we grew lettuce and snow peas.

How many plants do you have?

On 4/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, naomi said:

Avian flu that will be impetus to cull an incredible amount of foul is one of the next shoes to drop. There will be a massive vaccine crusade for those left. 

There's a decent chance having chickens right now is very timely, just protect them well.

They should be safe, I require them to wear masks and practice social distancing.  I give them free food and shelter, so they tolerate it.

15 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I think is a fine idea.  

I would double check with your city /town ordinance to make sure you don’t need a permit or something.  Especially if you have a Rooster. 

I dont like stupid laws, so I tend to ignore them.  I did some research on the area chicken ordinances, and decided to become an outlaw :ninja:  I did go the no rooster route though, they are just annoyingly loud.

14 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

You must have quite the garden if you are going through all of the effort of sourcing your own fertilizer and worms.

This year we are going smaller than average on our garden, I have two cherry tomato's and i have a few different subspecies of blackberries about to ripen up. Over the winter we grew lettuce and snow peas.

How many plants do you have?

I have more garden than one man needs, so I give most of it away to coworkers and neighbors.  My latest craze is perennials like your blackberries.  Last fall I planted about 10 blueberry bushes, 2 goji berries, couple beds of strawberries, and some blackberries & raspberries.  I bought some grapes that I will trellis through the chicken run I am building, and will put a some blueberries, currants,  and a cherry tree in there too.  I can harvest all that or let them fall to the ground for the chickens.

as for my summer garden....well, you asked!

20+ okra plants

30+ soy bean plants

50ish garbanzo beans (chickpeas)

8 cherry tomato plants (2 each of Lemon, Black, White, Red)

a dozen roma tomato plants

a dozen jalapeno plants

6 hot datil pepper plants

one lonely habanero pepper plant

Couple different other pepper plants that cant remember name of but am trying out this year

a dozen sweet datil pepper plants

6 bell pepper plants

a dozen eggplants

a dozen cantaloupe 

6 cucumber plants

a dozen snow peas

a dozen yard long red beans

a dozen yard long green beans

couple dozen potato plants

50+ red/white/yellow onions

a dozen garlic bulbs

6 ground cherry plants

30ish corn plants

and I think that's about it.  Typing that all out makes me realize I might have a gardening addiction.

• Thanks 2

I don't remember your guys' yard being large enough for all of that.  :unsure: 

Sounds awesome though.  I recently learned that some berries grow pretty well in Phoenix, so we may try a few bushes.  :cheers:

23 minutes ago, Gypsybrat said:

They should be safe, I require them to wear masks and practice social distancing.  I give them free food and shelter, so they tolerate it.

I dont like stupid laws, so I tend to ignore them.  I did some research on the area chicken ordinances, and decided to become an outlaw :ninja:  I did go the no rooster route though, they are just annoyingly loud.

I have more garden than one man needs, so I give most of it away to coworkers and neighbors.  My latest craze is perennials like your blackberries.  Last fall I planted about 10 blueberry bushes, 2 goji berries, couple beds of strawberries, and some blackberries & raspberries.  I bought some grapes that I will trellis through the chicken run I am building, and will put a some blueberries, currants,  and a cherry tree in there too.  I can harvest all that or let them fall to the ground for the chickens.

20+ okra plants

30+ soy bean plants

a dozen jalapeno plants

Couple different other pepper plants that cant remember name of but am trying out this year

6 bell pepper plants

a dozen eggplants

a dozen cantaloupe 

6 cucumber plants

a dozen snow peas

a dozen garlic bulbs

6 ground cherry plants

30ish corn plants

and I think that's about it.  Typing that all out makes me realize I might have a gardening addiction.

Romas for sauce? otherwise they taste like bung.

11 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Must be quite the trailer park 

43 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Just one hole for everything...sex..peeing...pooping...its all one hole.  Thats why bird poop has the white and brown parts.  Many reptiles have the same.  Its also what my underwear look like.

1 hour ago, Gypsybrat said:

20+ okra plants

30+ soy bean plants

a dozen jalapeno plants

6 bell pepper plants

a dozen eggplants

a dozen cantaloupe 

6 cucumber plants

a dozen snow peas

a dozen garlic bulbs

6 ground cherry plants

30ish corn plants

That is quite the garden :shocking:

The rooster goes with the chicken, so who’s having sex with the hen?

31 minutes ago, frank said:

The rooster goes with the chicken, so who’s having sex with the hen?

The big black cawk.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, naomi said:

Avian flu that will be impetus to cull an incredible amount of foul is one of the next shoes to drop.

Fowled off into the stands...

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Sounds awesome though.  I recently learned that some berries grow pretty well in Phoenix, so we may try a few bushes.  :cheers:

I put in 10 planter boxes where the lawn used to be.  That is where all the summer garden is.  I also used cattle panels to make trellises between the planter boxes so I can grow all my beans/cucumbers/peas vertically.  All the perennials are along the edges and up the hill.

3 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Romas for sauce? otherwise they taste like bung.

Exactly.   That and pico de gallo.  Sux is wanting beefsteaks and such, so will have to find some room for them. 

If you want to motivate those chickens to behave, just keep a bottle of Frank's Hot sauce nearby.

4 hours ago, Gypsybrat said:

I put in 10 planter boxes where the lawn used to be.  That is where all the summer garden is.  I also used cattle panels to make trellises between the planter boxes so I can grow all my beans/cucumbers/peas vertically.  All the perennials are along the edges and up the hill.

Exactly.   That and pico de gallo.  Sux is wanting beefsteaks and such, so will have to find some room for them. 

Pico de gallo is what I make often too.  I like a tomato called Early Girl for all around taste.

20 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Pico de gallo is what I make often too.  I like a tomato called Early Girl for all around taste.

Pico sucks. 

35 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Pico sucks. 

Good point; he needs to plant cilantro to make the pico better.  :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Good point; he needs to plant cilantro to make the pico better.  :thumbsup:

cilantro was created by the globalists!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Much like your mom

Do any of you think cilantro tastes like dishwater ? Apparently some people do. Couple of my cousins do. 

51 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I suppose the pedo liberals will ignore this as well :thumbsdown:

We know there were two failed sequels to Dumb and Dumber. 

I think this one has outstanding potential. :banana:

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

Do any of you think cilantro tastes like dishwater ? Apparently some people do. Couple of my cousins do. 

Me.