Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Breece Hall, Jets

Draft Profile

Team Fit: It is rare for the same RB to be among the most patient and fastest running backs in his draft class, but Hall is. There are elements of Le'Veon Bell and DeMarco Murray in Hall's game; he is as patient as they come and a plus in the passing game. While Michael Carter is an obstacle, he figures to move into the complementary role that he was drafted for last year. Hall will be a workhorse quickly. He'll start as a fantasy RB2, but he boasts RB1 upside.

I think it’s a great spot for him imo.  

Michael Carter is the receiving back OL is meh, team isn’t good, bad spot for a good player. Too bad…

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Michael Carter is the receiving back OL is meh, team isn’t good, bad spot for a good player. Too bad…

Breece is a damn good receiver himself. I would expect that work to be split.

1 minute ago, The Football Guru said:

Breece is a damn good receiver himself. I would expect that work to be split.

Sure but he’ll still be splitting work on a bad offense. I don’t love the situation. I’d prefer Walker of the 2.

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Sure but he’ll still be splitting work on a bad offense. I don’t love the situation. I’d prefer Walker of the 2.

Not sure how bad that offense is anymore unless you think Zach Wilson sucks.

Just now, The Football Guru said:

They were bad last year, I reserve judgement on a rookie QB but I’m leaning a lot closer to sucks than good. We shall see how it unfolds. Breece isn’t a guy I’d shy away from but he’ll probably go higher than I would take him…

Well the opportunity is there and he sounds like a good player.

But the Jets’ offense is bad. I don’t think Wilson is going to pan out. So I’d temper expectations

I think the Jets offensive will be better then last season, and mr Hall is one of the reasons. 

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Bad spot

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

They were bad last year, I reserve judgement on a rookie QB but I’m leaning a lot closer to sucks than good. We shall see how it unfolds. Breece isn’t a guy I’d shy away from but he’ll probably go higher than I would take him…

Guy you wouldn’t shy away from= fickle much.  

Just now, Phil Simms 11 said:

DND list because Jets offense will struggle 

The other league owners in your leagues are rejoicing tonight.  

• Haha 1

I think he would have to be value for me to take him in dynasty.

Maybe early 2nd, but even then...

Don’t shy away from the Hall. 

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Bad spot

Guy you wouldn’t shy away from= fickle much.  

Not really in fantasy you sometimes draft good players on bad teams. If the value is there you take the guy. In my leagues he will probably go too high for me to worry about. Regardless I find it amusing that you have all these opinions on dudes you’ve never seen play a snap. 

Thank you.  I find it strange that you know very little about ff, and yet you watch every minute of every snap of every game. 

Thanks. 🥳

On 4/29/2022 at 7:26 PM, The Football Guru said:

like most rookies, he had moments where he looked like he will be all they hoped he would be and moments where you shake your head.

I think this year and next will really tell the tale with this guy.   He shows signs of being a player so I'll give the benefit of the doubt at this point.   but it may not be until year 3 that we really see what the kid can do.

one thing I will say, is they are giving him plenty of support in terms of tools to help the offense.   some of the previous high draft picks at QB could have benefited from such support but that support was not there for them.   So I am glad to see them doing things the right way in New York for once.   Even if Wilson doesnt turn out, at least they gave him every opportunity to be successful.

At the end of the season I see Hall and Walker having the most production this year. Both have rb's to contend with to get touches. Walker.may be in a little better situation as Penny has durability issues even though he came on late last year. Michael Carter did ok last year but I think Hall takes.over the lead job early with Carter the complementary back and spell Hall. When done Hall will have the best numbers of this rookie rb class.

4 hours ago, DocNiner said:

At the end of the season I see Hall and Walker having the most production this year. Both have rb's to contend with to get touches. Walker.may be in a little better situation as Penny has durability issues even though he came on late last year. Michael Carter did ok last year but I think Hall takes.over the lead job early with Carter the complementary back and spell Hall. When done Hall will have the best numbers of this rookie rb class.

Hall is also already good in pass protection. He's an all around back. 

20 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Hall is also already good in pass protection. He's an all around back. 

Not really, that is often listed as an area of weakness for him. Here is but one example:

Pass Protection

It isn’t something I saw a lot of when watching film for the Breece Hall scouting report. Mainly because he was on the sideline on most passing situations. The little bit that I saw from him though wasn’t pretty. His pass blocking style was more of just standing in the way of the defender and bear hugging him. If he wants to be seen as a three-down back in the NFL, which I believe he can be, he’s going to have to put in some work in this area.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Not really, that is often listed as an area of weakness for him. Here is but one example:

Pass Protection

It isn’t something I saw a lot of when watching film for the Breece Hall scouting report. Mainly because he was on the sideline on most passing situations. The little bit that I saw from him though wasn’t pretty. His pass blocking style was more of just standing in the way of the defender and bear hugging him. If he wants to be seen as a three-down back in the NFL, which I believe he can be, he’s going to have to put in some work in this area.

I've only seen him play a couple times and he didn't have a lot of asks in pass protection. 

I only compare him to other RBs coming out of college into the NFL which means most if not all need to improve in their pass protection in one form or another. What he has shown was the desire to take anyone on in that area of his game. He is more inexperienced than anything bad about his protection, and therefore I think he can fix any flaws quicker than most guys coming out of college. 

It's all a wait and see anyway for all rookies, but I trust Hall as much as anyone in this draft to be THE all around complete rookie RB. But again, a rookie in the pros can only be as good as how they are coached and put into a good place for their skills. 

It was a pretty fun draft overall though. 

57 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Pass Protection

Great post.

Lots of players lose playing time early in their career because of blocking deficiencies.

and they dont want him getting their first round pick killed because he missed a blocking assignment.    Guaranteed if they feel they need a player to do blitz pickup he will be sitting on the sideline until he sorts this out.

37 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I've only seen him play a couple times and he didn't have a lot of asks in pass protection. 

I only compare him to other RBs coming out of college into the NFL which means most if not all need to improve in their pass protection in one form or another. What he has shown was the desire to take anyone on in that area of his game. He is more inexperienced than anything bad about his protection, and therefore I think he can fix any flaws quicker than most guys coming out of college. 

It's all a wait and see anyway for all rookies, but I trust Hall as much as anyone in this draft to be THE all around complete rookie RB. But again, a rookie in the pros can only be as good as how they are coached and put into a good place for their skills. 

It was a pretty fun draft overall though. 

I like Breece, especially in Dynasty. If he puts in the work he should provide himself and his fantasy owners with a nice return on investment.

Most of the rookie Rbs say the same, problem with pass protection. 

• Like 1

Michael Carter talent but at 199lbs. I can't see him.as a workhorse or 3 down back. That.is where.it benefits Breece Hall. Once.training camps over.Hall.should be the week 1 starter at tailback. With the addition the Jets made during the draft all signs point to them being a better team this year. Zach Wilson by all accounts should be better as well. Running backs with talent have been successful with bad O-lines but may take more pounding.At the end of the season Hall could come out on top in terms of rookie production.

PFF had the final rankings of the O lines.  Jets ranked #11.   though the link I checked out didnt break down run blocking vs pass blocking so I cannot say where they fit on the run blocking side of things.

another(less reputable) website had them at #20

overall I'd say they are a bit better than average overall but not elite.

it looks like they have some young guys on the line so its probably trending to become a good line overall.   That is a bit speculative, but usually your young lines improve with time and experience.

I just saw that the Jets trade up with the Gmen to draft Hall, those Jets fans will be sending out thank you cards.  

16 hours ago, weepaws said:

I just saw that the Jets trade up with the Gmen to draft Hall, those Jets fans will be sending out thank you cards.  

Are you having struggles dude? Anyway, Love Hall.  

so, if i have the first pick in a rookie draft, and i desperately need a rb....is hall the pick?  or is there someone else transcendent that i take and ignore the need at RB?  or try to trade down a spot or 2?

46 minutes ago, cavern said:

so, if i have the first pick in a rookie draft, and i desperately need a rb....is hall the pick?  or is there someone else transcendent that i take and ignore the need at RB?  or try to trade down a spot or 2?

tough call.   Hall is one of the few who has a reasonably decent path to being a year 1 starter.   but if he makes it, he will be starting for a team that's not that great.  So it may take a year or so until he really puts up numbers that will make a difference to you.   I do think the Jets Offense will be improved this year.  I just cant say by how much.

RB stats tend to rise and fall with the fortunes of the team and the fact the Jets havnt been great means he may have a slow start to his career.

for me, in a rookie draft (especially if drafting at #1)  I am a firm believer you take whoever you think will be the Best fantasy player regardless of position.   

in round 2 then go for areas of need.

that said, if you think the best player with the greatest upside is a WR but you need a RB, why dont you just try to trade away a WR off your roster to get a RB and then take that WR (who you think will be the best player) in the draft.

the other option is taking the RB or trading down to take him.  but the #1 pick in any draft doesnt come along often.  I think its a waste if you dont take the best player with it.

just my thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cavern said:

I don’t see much of an argument for passing on Hall regardless of need. I guess if you really liked one of the top WRs. To me Jameson Williams is the only one I’d put there except I don’t care for his landing spot. But I mean the lions should have a good offense, the limiting factor is Goff but be won’t be there forever

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I don’t see much of an argument for passing on Hall regardless of need. I guess if you really liked one of the top WRs. To me Jameson Williams is the only one I’d put there except I don’t care for his landing spot. But I mean the lions should have a good offense, the limiting factor is Goff but be won’t be there forever

hes also returning from knee surgery.

so its not unreasonable to expect him to start slow in the first half of the season.    I love the potential of this guy though.

• Like 1

If I was in a keeper league, and if I desperately needed a rb, I would trade back a couple spots,  I think there are plenty of good ones.  

I think for this next season Hall could be be best one , but for a keeper league, I also like Walker, Spiller and Pierce. So i would trade back and take one of those four Rbs.  

Good luck with our decision. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

are you saying you believe Hall is the #1 rookie pick regardless of need?

31 minutes ago, cavern said:

Yes

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cavern said:

if he is, hes not far off.   

I had him in my top 3.   I dont think I'd label him the #1 but hes not far off.

I believe there are a couple of WR's who are likely to be better in year 1.    I think Hall may have comparable long term value to these guys but due to being on a subpar team you may not see the full potential of this kid in year 1.

Though there are a couple who will become REALLY good WR this year so its hard to rank Hall ahead of them because I think there is more risk with him.

• Like 1

I think Hall is the number one rookie based on redraft this season , but over all , I’m not so sure.  

I think Spiller is on a very good team, and could be a high ff producer. 

• Like 1