Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Skyy Moore, Chiefs

Draft Profile

Team Fit: It is hard not to be impressed by what Moore has accomplished (and what he can already do at a high level) three years into his receiver journey. He may be short, but he is not small - nor does he play that way. Moore is also not afraid to work the middle, which bodes well for his future in the slot. While it is easy to see shades of Steve Smith in his game on occasion, Golden Tate makes a ton of sense as a player he could look to emulate. With that said, he will struggle to be fantasy-relevant until either JuJu Smith-Schuster and/or Marquez Valdes-Scantling get hurt. He could not ask for a much better spot for dynasty purposes, however. JuJu could be out of KC after this year after signing a one-year deal earlier this spring.

Yeah, he played in the MAC, but there are a lot of skills on tape here that I think Mahomes will like...

The Sky is the limit 

On 5/18/2022 at 1:04 AM, AxeElf said:

Yeah, he played in the MAC, but there are a lot of skills on tape here that I think Mahomes will like...

I like the QB quite a bit more than Moore from those highlights.  He has phenomenal touch and ball placement.

8 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I like the QB quite a bit more than Moore from those highlights.  He has phenomenal touch and ball placement.

Yeah, Mahomes has skills that Skyy will probly like, too.

Andy Reid is an astute football guy.   

If he thinks this kid is the real deal, he probably is.

Nuff said.

Didn’t Reid think that about CEH? 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Didn’t Reid think that about CEH? 

I wouldnt go labelling him a bust just yet.

as a rookie he had over 1000 all purpose yards in 13 games.

he had a weaker year in an injury marred second season but his first 4 games before the injury looked good overall.  2 games where he rushed for over 100 yards and  2 mediocre games.  He didnt look great when he returned from injury but that is not at all abnormal.  it happens sometimes.

I'd suggest he can still potentially be a player.

I certainly think the talent is there.  my biggest concern is whether he will get hurt again.

either way, I think you are being a bit premature in your judgement there, but you are entitled to your own opinion.   Im just saying I wouldnt write him off just yet.  

He’s not worthy of a first round draft pick imo.  

Im being premature in my statement. 

I don’t think he has the first round talent that Reid thought he was buying when they drafted him.  

He’s already a player, just not one that’s first round worthy.  He’s a ppr rb and that’s all that he will be, that’s his talent     

Rb R Jones is going to replace him as the season goes on.  

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Plus the name...

Everybody wants their star WR to sky more.

Don’t quit your day job bro…

On 5/21/2022 at 8:32 PM, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt go labelling him a bust just yet.

as a rookie he had over 1000 all purpose yards in 13 games.

he had a weaker year in an injury marred second season but his first 4 games before the injury looked good overall.  2 games where he rushed for over 100 yards and  2 mediocre games.  He didnt look great when he returned from injury but that is not at all abnormal.  it happens sometimes.

I'd suggest he can still potentially be a player.

I certainly think the talent is there.  my biggest concern is whether he will get hurt again.

either way, I think you are being a bit premature in your judgement there, but you are entitled to your own opinion.   Im just saying I wouldnt write him off just yet.  

How about Mecole Hardman?

1 hour ago, BobSanders_33 said:

How about Mecole Hardman?

Guy was a 5th round pick or something?

But yeah, nobody gets it right all the time, including Andy Reid.

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Guy was a 5th round pick or something?

But yeah, nobody gets it right all the time, including Andy Reid.

Close. 2nd round pick…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Close. 2nd round pick…

I did not know that. That is a more substantial pick for sure

On 5/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ray_T said:

Nuff said.

Here's a list of all the WR's that Andy Reid took in the first 2 rounds... 

• 2000    2    Todd Pinkston
  • 2001    1    Freddie Mitchell
  • 2005    2    Reggie Brown
  • 2008    2    DeSean Jackson
  • 2009    1    Jeremy Maclin
  • 2019    2    Mecole Hardman

Only 2 panned out and I wouldn't say either were all that special.  Maclin and Jackson were legitimate starters in the NFL, but that's all you can say... they were worthy of being "starters".

12 hours ago, jrokh said:

Close. 2nd round pick…

yeah he was a second.   different situation when labelling someone a bust who was drafted in round 1 vs round 2 or 3. (or later)

as a wr, hes had 3 seasons now.  average is about 600 yards.  most recent season just under 700 yards

I would argue when drafting a WR in round 2 you are not expecting a 1000 yard player.  its nice if you get that, but generally you are expecting him to make your team and at least be a starter.  hes currently lised as the third WR on the depth chart.   I wouldnt call him a bust but I also wouldnt say hes Reids best draft pick either.

hes met the minimum expectation of someone taken in round 2.  as far as value for draft pick I'd say Meh.    its still possible the kid can break out.  at almost 700 yards last season if he can take one more step forward, he will be okay.   but I doubt he plays in KC beyond his rookie contract unless he breaks 1000 yards.

12 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Only 2 panned out and I wouldn't say either were all that special.  Maclin and Jackson were legitimate starters in the NFL, but that's all you can say... they were worthy of being "starters".

fine, if you are gonna do that you need to look at the rest of the body of work.

He pulled a diamond (Tyreek Hill)off the junk pile  and took him in round 5.

thats gotta count for something too.

I have found your most astute football guys dont just draft players out of the top 3 rounds.  they get players late in the draft who turn out to be good to great pros.

Pete Carroll and Belichek are probably the best at this.   sure they miss on a few.  but thats a part of the process.  WR's are risky to draft early anyways.  probably the only position thats more risky is QB because usually you are spending a top 10 pick to get one.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

He pulled a diamond (Tyreek Hill)off the junk pile  and took him in round 5.

thats gotta count for something too.

Sure, but then you have to count guys like Cornell Powell, Tremon Smith, Jehu Chesson, Demarcus Robinson, Chris Conley, Da'Ron Brown too.  Want to go back to Philly and include guys like Marvin McNutt, Riley Cooper, Brandon Gibson, Jason Avant, Billy McMullen, Freddie Milons, Gari Scott, & Na Brown?  I'm not counting Troy Smith against him... he was a QB in college, but they drafted him as a WR.

I mean, the guys been coaching in the NFL for over 20 years and he drafted ONE star WR and 2 decent/short-term starters.  It's not really a resume to boast about.  What Andy Reid has been great at, is maximizing his QB's potential.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What Andy Reid has been great at, is maximizing his QB's potential

agreed. 

Hes done exceptionally well with QB's.  

On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

DeSean Jackson was a 3 time pro bowler... 

27 minutes ago, rallo said:

DeSean Jackson was a 3 time pro bowler... 

So being a "legitimate starter in the NFL" isn't a good enough label?  I mean, he spent 15 years in the NFL and made the pro-bowl 3 times... not 8, right?

Art Monk only made it to the pro bowl three times in 16 seasons.  

On 5/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ray_T said:

Nuff said.

Even the best teams/GMs/coaches draft rate isn't that great. To say 'probably is' especially for someone picked at the end of the 2nd round, is a big stretch.

12 hours ago, Donkey said:

Even the best teams/GMs/coaches draft rate isn't that great. To say 'probably is' especially for someone picked at the end of the 2nd round, is a big stretch.

fair enough.  though this was considered a very deep draft for the position, so a WR taken in the second is considered to be better than what you would get at this point in the draft in a typical year.

that said, the experts have been wrong on this in the past.

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

fair enough.  though this was considered a very deep draft for the position, so a WR taken in the second is considered to be better than what you would get at this point in the draft in a typical year.

that said, the experts have been wrong on this in the past.

The experts are wrong a lot.  Just look at the Rosen tread.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

though this was considered a very deep draft for the position, so a WR taken in the second is considered to be better than what you would get at this point in the draft in a typical year.

For the last several years the draftheads have been 'considering WR as 'very deep'. It is now 'considered' the norm for WR drafted in round 2 to be viable starting caliber options:

2019 rd 2 picks: Deebo, AJ Brown, Hardman, DK Metcalf. the hits, Misses- JJ Arcegia-Whiteside, Parris Cambell, Andy Isabella

2020 rd 2 hits- Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Chase Claypool, Van Jefferson, Misses- Denzel Mims, Laviska Shenault (sort of).

2021 rd 2 hits- Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Misses- Tutu Atwell, Dewayne Eskridge, Terrace Marshall. 

2021 probably deserves another year before a truer evaluation, but clearly it's almost as likely to get a star WR in rd 2 as in rd 1.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

So being a "legitimate starter in the NFL" isn't a good enough label?  I mean, he spent 15 years in the NFL and made the pro-bowl 3 times... not 8, right?

I guess I was taking the rest of your quote, "only 2 panned out, and neither were all that special"... I'd argue being an elite WR in your conference for 3 years is a little special... I think it is a fair assessment of Maclin though

1 minute ago, rallo said:

I guess I was taking the rest of your quote, "only 2 panned out, and neither were all that special"... I'd argue being an elite WR in your conference for 3 years is a little special... I think it is a fair assessment of Maclin though

"Pro Bowl" does not equal elite.  There's plenty of guys who make the Pro Bowl who don't even deserve to be there, let alone be called elite.

Maclin was a solid possession receiver.  He, plus Celek being a solid pass catching TE, along with McCoy being a stud, allowed Jackson to be the one-trick pony that he was.  Jackson was good at what he did... a speedy receiver who can get down the field and catch the bombs.  It's why he always had a low catch rate and 16+ y/r.  He wasn't a special talent.  He was "good".

41 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

"Pro Bowl" does not equal elite.  There's plenty of guys who make the Pro Bowl who don't even deserve to be there, let alone be called elite.

Maclin was a solid possession receiver.  He, plus Celek being a solid pass catching TE, along with McCoy being a stud, allowed Jackson to be the one-trick pony that he was.  Jackson was good at what he did... a speedy receiver who can get down the field and catch the bombs.  It's why he always had a low catch rate and 16+ y/r.  He wasn't a special talent.  He was "good".

Maclin was one of the better possession receivers in the league.   Not a burner, but a very dependable WR.

not a lead guy.  not a true number one.   but a very good #2 WR.  he could have been a  #1 WR on a bad team but thats not his best use in an offense.

Not elite, but certainly not a bust.     

24 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Maclin was one of the better possession receivers in the league.   Not a burner, but a very dependable WR.

not a lead guy.  not a true number one.   but a very good #2 WR.  he could have been a  #1 WR on a bad team but thats not his best use in an offense.

Not elite, but certainly not a bust.     

I think you can say that about both Jackson and Maclin.  Both were good at what they did/were.  Neither were great, and certainly not busts.  They were perfectly acceptable starters.  Guys that you are happy with.  That said, in a perfect world, a true #1 was missing from that team.