Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB James Cook, Bills

Draft Profile

Team Fit: After J.D. McKissic pulled a disappearing act last month, Buffalo gets its complement for Devin Singletary. It could be argued he is a much bigger threat to Singletary than McKissic was. Cook profiles much more as a Nyheim Hines kind of complement than a Michael Carter lead-back type, but Singletary cannot afford to lose touches - especially in the passing game. Cook figures to get most of those now. On a team that loves throwing the ball and will value the hybrid running back/receiver role Cook can play, the rookie should have RB3/flex upside right away.

This is a ranking changer of a pick when it Singletary, tough one if you own him.  

Bumping the James Cook thread to inquire about his 11 carries last night.  I was not able to watch the game.  I'm assuming the carries were all in garbage time and, therefore, not notable to fantasy.  However, I thought I would ask if anyone sees things differently?  This is possibly the best offense in the league.  Does anyone believe Cook will become more than a mop up option?

38 minutes ago, cavern said:

Bumping the James Cook thread to inquire about his 11 carries last night.  I was not able to watch the game.  I'm assuming the carries were all in garbage time and, therefore, not notable to fantasy.  However, I thought I would ask if anyone sees things differently?  This is possibly the best offense in the league.  Does anyone believe Cook will become more than a mop up option?

It was mostly in garbage time, but he did run well.

I don't think any of the Bills RBs are gonna have much value. There is too much of a split and Josh Allen is almost certainly gonna score the most TDs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cavern said:

He had a garbage time 33 yard run. Aside from that he had 10 rushes for 23 yards. 

If the Bills are only going to run the ball in garbage time, that's rough. 

4 hours ago, cavern said:

I'm assuming the carries were all in garbage time and, therefore, not notable to fantasy.

Yep.  Singletary is the man.

8 hours ago, cavern said:

While almost all of his carries came in garbage time, the Bills did not burn a second-round pick on him to be a mop-up back. It is helpful to look at the NFL season in quarters and I would expect defenses to overcompensate in hopes they can slow down Diggs and allow more short throws to guys like McKenzie and Cook. Yes, Singletary is still the main guy on early downs and I don't expect that to change, but what does that actually mean on a team that has no desire to establish the run?

22 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Yes, Singletary is still the main guy on early downs and I don't expect that to change, but what does that actually mean on a team that has no desire to establish the run?

At the end of last year, it meant a lot--Singletary scored 9 TDs over the final 6 games (including playoffs), and had 90+ yards from scrimmage in 4 of them.  He was the RB7 in half-PPR scoring over the second half of 2021, and top 3 over the last month.

Like Henry, I think there are better days ahead for Singletary.  We've seen their floors, but that leaves a lot of "room" for improvement.

I do like J Cook has the season rolls along.  

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

At the end of last year, it meant a lot--Singletary scored 9 TDs over the final 6 games (including playoffs), and had 90+ yards from scrimmage in 4 of them.  He was the RB7 in half-PPR scoring over the second half of 2021, and top 3 over the last month.

Like Henry, I think there are better days ahead for Singletary.  We've seen their floors, but that leaves a lot of "room" for improvement.

Load management.