Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Jalen Tolbert, Cowboys

Draft Profile

Team Fit: Tolbert's background as a baseball player shows up repeatedly as someone who is very adept at tracking the ball in flight, which allows him to get into position to win as many contested catches as he did in 2021 (12, per Pro Football Focus). His long arms (32 5/8 inches) and big hands (10 inches) help him in that regard and make him an inviting target for quarterbacks. On the downside, he is a bit on the lean side for a 6-1 receiver (194 pounds) and doesn't do a great job selling his routes. Tolbert figures to challenge James Washington for WR2 duties until Michael Gallup heals up. After that, he (and Washington) should slide into expected role as a situational deep threat. It seems unlikely he'll be all that fantasy relevant in 2022.

I don't know how fantasy relevant he's gonna be as a rookie, but he should get some chances.

Hopefully, he is able to ultimately play on the outside, along with Gallup, and let CeeDee Lamb play mostly in the slot, which is his best place

I think they drafted him to be more involved than that. Now whether he pans out is a different question. But he’ll be on my radar as a possible WR4/5 type.

I see a bigger role for him.  

if he could sharpen up a few of his routes, he could be a hands guy you throw to on third downs.

if he doesnt do a great job of selling his routes as noted, pro level coaching may be able to fix that.     it may take a half year to get there but get there he will.

once you sharpen up his route running he could be a nice possession receiver.  perfect WR2/3 depending on how much he develops and refines his game.

43 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if he could sharpen up a few of his routes, he could be a hands guy you throw to on third downs.

if he doesnt do a great job of selling his routes as noted, pro level coaching may be able to fix that.     it may take a half year to get there but get there he will.

once you sharpen up his route running he could be a nice possession receiver.  perfect WR2/3 depending on how much he develops and refines his game.

I don't know if he beats out James Washington this year, but I see him taking over the same kind of field-stretching role Gallup had with Lamb and Cooper around.

4 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

I don't know if he beats out James Washington this year, but I see him taking over the same kind of field-stretching role Gallup had with Lamb and Cooper around.

Quite possibly.

for me, the good thing is that the deficiencies should be fixable with some coaching.   for me that makes this a solid pick

• Like 1

Washington will have the wr2 until Gallup returns, Tolbert during that period of time should be their wr3 and could over take Washington as the Cowboys wr3 when Gallup returns, but Washington based on experience gets the wr2 job while Gallup recovers from his injury giving Tolbert the time to develop as the teams wr 3.  Maybe.  

Washington now out for a while, looks like two plus months.  

And with Gallup status still looking like he’s going to be questionable going into the season , mr Tolbert just received a big boost.  

Have Dak as my QB in Dynasty and have the #9 pick in the rookie draft.  Was hoping to get Tolbert, but not sure I will now with both Gallup & Washington missing time.

Yeah I know as  it gets closer to the end of August his adp is going to go up, if one is drafting now his adp is great.  

Looks like Noah Brown will be the hot waiver wire commodity after Week 1, unless of course you are prescient enough to stash him on your roster before that.

57 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Looks like Noah Brown will be the hot waiver wire commodity after Week 1, unless of course you are prescient enough to stash him on your roster before that.

I think him or Tolbert will have a decent week 1

Tolbert will be the one to own.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Based on what exactly? You’ve never seen him play. How do you know he’s any good?

When did I say he was any good? 

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

When did I say he was any good? 

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

The implication is that 'the one to own' will be good. HTH

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

I think him or Tolbert will have a decent week 1

You are correct--and it won't be Tolbert!

On 5/1/2022 at 12:37 AM, weepaws said:

Washington will have the wr2 until Gallup returns, Tolbert during that period of time should be their wr3 and could over take Washington as the Cowboys wr3 when Gallup returns, but Washington based on experience gets the wr2 job while Gallup recovers from his injury giving Tolbert the time to develop as the teams wr 3.  Maybe.  

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Based on what exactly? You’ve never seen him play. How do you know he’s any good?

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

The implication is that 'the one to own' will be good. HTH

Nope, he’s only a stand in until the Cowboys best wr returns, that would be Gallup.  Washington is out, Tolbert is in.  That’s all I said.  

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Nope, he’s only a stand in until the Cowboys best wr returns, that would be Gallup.  Washington is out, Tolbert is in.  That’s all I said.  

Not your worst hedge/backtrack...

1/2 ppr I think Gallup by avg out performs Lamb.   Tolbert will be the Cowboys wr2 week1, but to me he’s nothing more then a fill in wr5-6 that’s about that.  

Thanks.  

One vote for mr Brown, I hope that young man wins the battle.  I think it’s going to be Tolbert, but we’ll see   

Simi Fehoko is a sleeper to keep an eye on too.

No matter who it is, they’ll be behind Gallup once he returns, to lead all Cowboys wr in avg half ppr.  

Book it Dano. 

Thanks. 

This thread is full of posters who ruined the main bored 😂 

but glad I got Tolbert in round 3 of my June rookie draft 

• Thanks 1