Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Sam Howell, Commanders

Draft Profile

Team Fit: Thought to be a high first-round pick entering the season, Howell lasts until the 144th pick in 2022 because his production fell off the table as a passer after Michael Carter, Javonte Williams, Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome moved onto the NFL last spring. Howell transformed his game and became more of a rushing threat. The pick could end up being a steal for Washington, especially given Howell's ability to throw the deep ball. Howell could use some time to develop, however, as he could afford to clean up the overall operation of his drop-back and work on moving past his first read as a passer. Carson Wentz enters this season as the clear starter, but his recent struggles have been well-documented. With only Taylor Heinicke and the enigmatic Wentz in front of him, Howell has a chance to start as a rookie - especially given his ability to throw the deep ball. It seems unlikely, however. If he does start at some point, he is enough of a threat as a runner that he could fall into low-end QB2 value at some point.

Actually, I think Howell landed in a pretty good spot. Yes, Wentz's struggle have been apparent and I think those struggles will rear it's head in Washington at some point this season. Will it be enough to throw the rookie in there? I don't think so. You'd probably see Heincke in there before Howell. They'll be patient with Sam and let him use his rookie year to learn and develop.                                                                                  Unless Wentz does a complete turnaround this year I could definitely see Sam Howell win the starting job next year in training camp. I haven't completely given up on Wentz but I feel he not gonna be the QB you want to lead your franchise for the next 10 years. Is Howell that guy? Maybe. He'll have better weapons at his disposal than he had his last year in North Carolina. He was at one point thought to be the best college QB.before he lost.his best players to the NFL and didn't have much to work with. At some point Howell is going to overtake Wentz.

Washington just keeps jamming Howell bad situations & bad blocking. Howell will have games where it looks like he’s about to break out then he’ll just have total disasters.