TimmySmith

Bought a Rowing Machine

Just check out my1000m time, and I am a solid 90 year old novice. Or 80 year old beginner. I just have to cut my time in half for the WR. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

great form of exercise. I was a state champion in crew before playing lacrosse in high school.  

Tis a very strong workout. I bought almost entirely for a low impact knee workout. As well as the aerobic workout.  It's working. I am unconcerned with my times. I just thought it was funny.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Looks like a piece of modern art. I got a Concept2. I think they are all about the same. 

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Looks like a piece of modern art. I got a Concept2. I think they are all about the same. 

Yeah. It's nice because it stands straight up against the wall. 

I looked at Concept and I like that type of rower as well. I just chose water for some reason though. 

Nice investment either way. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

great form of exercise. I was a state champion in crew before playing lacrosse in high school.  

According to george carlin you are 100% ghey

12 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

6 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. It's nice because it stands straight up against the wall. 

I looked at Concept and I like that type of rower as well. I just chose water for some reason though. 

Nice investment either way. 

We got a Concept2 during Covid; I cannot say how valuable it was having a rower, especially since I was going through cancer treatments through a lot of it so I wasn't exactly going out of my way to go into public early in the pandemic.  We picked it solely because it was what our gym had and we liked them.  Bonus was it had an app and it connects to our Garmin watches/apps so we can track stuff.

I've heard great things about the water ones and had we not just defaulted to the Concept2 I'd have definitely investigated more.

It also stands up against the wall but even so, it has a pretty large profile for the small BR we've set up as a gym (10x10 or 11).  I like to mix in the rowing with some dumbell and band work (and a pullup bar) in the same workout, and it takes some arranging to have room for it all.

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

According to george carlin you are 100% ghey

i loved george carlin, but would have liked to have played against him to educate him a bit

41 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Just check out my1000m time, and I am a solid 90 year old novice. Or 80 year old beginner. I just have to cut my time in half for the WR. :thumbsup:

Nice. Good exercise. Every time I hit the row machine It always decimates me :lol: 

• Haha 1

I've never tried a rowing machine, but have x-cised on cross-country and elliptical machines, elliptical moves ALOT more big muscles while the x-country ski machine requires TOO much keeping your legs straight.............elliptical is best for me-creates sweat (after 10-15 minutes) and you get a decent warmup into solo-flex and then the speed bag.

Edited by huskyhater75
  • Haha 1

I got a concept2 after I kept getting injured while running. I love it. When you start to get a consistent time at a specific distance, set the pace boat to something under that time and try to beat it. I have had some brutal workouts that way but it's fantastic.

I had one about ten years ago, think it was a Concept2 but did they make them back then? Anyways I didn’t care for it much. Just found the motion awkward and couldn’t ever truly adjust to it. However I suck at working out generally

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I believe this.  I have looked at the Concept 2.  I swear to God though, I go up a flight of stairs and I am becoming worried.    I'd almost rather die at Walmart.

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I believe this.  I have looked at the Concept 2.  I swear to God though, I go up a flight of stairs and I am becoming worried.    I'd almost rather die at Walmart.

Just now, fandandy said:

The above is facetious.

You'd rather die at the Dollar Store?  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Agreed. Had one as a teenager. Great overall workout. Got some great lats. 

Now I have great side boob. :(

• Haha 1

I LOATHE cardio. I can only muster 30 minutes max on the treadmill in the morning. Bored to tears. 

2 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

I LOATHE cardio. I can only muster 30 minutes max on the treadmill in the morning. Bored to tears. 

I have a treadmill and it just doesn't do it for me. I can't run long distances because of the knee, so I was doing 30 minute walks at 4mph. Boring and doesn't really get the whole body. 

21 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I have a treadmill and it just doesn't do it for me. I can't run long distances because of the knee, so I was doing 30 minute walks at 4mph. Boring and doesn't really get the whole body. 

Crank the elevation up around 6 or 7. It kicks my azz at 3 mph. 

13 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Me too, which is why I do workouts like I described where I mix in the other stuff I've mentioned.  I'm not trying to bulk up, so rowing days are my upper body days.  And that usually means something like a bunch of 30 second rows / 30 second rest, except instead of "rest" I do chest/arm/shoulder reps with bands or dumbbells, and mix in some pullups.  All while watching my latest Netflix show (currently Better Call Saul).

Also, we just moved near a park with a basketball court, so I've replaced running with a jog to/from the place (about .3 miles) and shooting at a relatively quick pace for 20 minutes.  I think the jog there gets my heart rate up enough to maintain during the shooting part (usually around 130 bpm).

Heading out now before it gets too hot.  Soon I may have to abandon this unless I want to go at 6AM.  Which I might do, although my neighbors may not like the bouncing ball noise that early.  :dunno:

13 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Go run outside

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Go run outside

Not in Arizona during the summer 

I got a Rowling machine.

It churns out Harry Potter books something fierce.

🪄

I think I'd like the water rower. I've tried that before. All kidding aside, I really do enjoy rowing machines probably more than any other. But if you're in an apartment? The wind resistance ones make it sound like a planes taking off for your neighbors. Or at least as hard and fast as I pull. I once rowed so hard, I ended up in my neighbor's apartment.

16 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

exercise bike with a video game system, monitor and controller.

56 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

exercise bike with a video game system, monitor and controller.

Recumbant bike?  If you are able to play a video game, you aren't exercising.  Much anyway.  Just saying.  :dunno: