Sign in to follow this  
naomi

What change of habit/routine/lifestyle made the biggest positive impact in your life?

A change you made and look back on with gratitude for how much it wound up improving your life.

If I could beat procrastination (doing that right now),  that would be mine.

I quit drinking just under two years ago. Easily the best decision I can remember.   I'm a procrastinator as well so that's up there on the list but haven't beat that one yet.  Moving to Denver was a great move as well.

Probably study habits in school where I made extremely heavy use of self-made flash cards.  I think all of that rote learning drastically improved my memory so I have a crazy good memory to this day which helps a lot.

Quitting drinking will me mine. I just had a beer and three fingers Jacks so tomorrow will be day 1 …. Again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh and procrastinating comes up in my annual review every year. Hopefully I can change that too

Diet. 

I’m almost at the 40 pound mark lost since Covid. Added a good amount of muscle. 

A big part of it was I’m creeping up on 50 years old and I just wanted one more time to get myself into really good shape just to do it. I figure by 60 there may be a lot of things I won’t have the option to do

Retiring at age 53. Loved most of my coworkers, but the hours were killing me. What gave me the final push, was a coworker who told me I'd never make it (financially)

Also a parent teacher conference back when I was in 7th grade. My homeroom teacher told my parents she knew I had the ability, but I just wasn't applying myself enough.

She closed with "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

1 minute ago, easilyscan said:

Retiring at age 53. Loved most of my coworkers, but the hours were killing me. What gave me the final push, was a coworker who told me I'd never make it (financially)

Also a parent teacher conference back when I was in 7th grade. My homeroom teacher told my parents she knew I had the ability, but I just wasn't applying myself enough.

She closed with "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

That's incredible that you were able to retire at that age.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

🤩

• Like 1

1.) Taking up running and getting into marathons.

2.) Quitting smoking and alienating myself from overtraining fellow runners, which led me to qualify for and run the Boston Marathon.

3.) Being a better parent than my parents, who were better parents than their parents. My parents were great, but I managed to avoid the mistakes they made and now have fine adult sons.

4.) Learning how to set boundaries and look out for me when it came to romantic relationships.

5.) Telling toxic work situations to go fock itself.

6.) Drinking less.

7.) Better dietary habits, resulting in me being right where I should be in regard to height and weight. 

8.) Learning how important it is to help others with nothing to gain other than the satisfaction of doing so.

This is a fantastic thread topic.

Taking the red pill. Liberals are miserable creatures. 

3 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I was lucky. It was a fortune 500 container/packaging company that was unionized. In addition to a pension, they also offered a 401(k) (No Match) & a employee stock purchase program.

The ESPP was great. The company held whatever percentage you wanted (up to 15%) of after tax wage, & at the end of every 1/4 you bought the company stock at a 15% discount.

The stock had a very volatile history. The year I joined the plan, it was around $35, by the 2nd year it was in the low 50s. I thought to myself, this is too easy. In the 3rd year the CEO made a horrible acquisition. A French company in the same sector as us. He wanted to be the biggest at any cost. The stock started to crater. It briefly traded under 1$ per share 4 years later.

There was talk of Chapter 11, & the dividend was eliminated. 9 times out of 10,  sticking with it would be the wrong thing to do, but I did just that. Today its trading at around $105 per share, & the dividend was reinstated at the start of 2021.  As I stated earlier, I'm very lucky. 

2 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

I was lucky. It was a fortune 500 container/packaging company that was unionized. In addition to a pension, they also offered a 401(k) (No Match) & a employee stock purchase program.

The ESPP was great. The company held whatever percentage you wanted (up to 15%) of after tax wage, & at the end of every 1/4 you bought the company stock at a 15% discount.

The stock had a very volatile history. The year I joined the plan, it was around $35, by the 2nd year it was in the low 50s. I thought to myself, this is too easy. In the 3rd year the CEO made a horrible acquisition. A French company in the same sector as us. He wanted to be the biggest at any cost. The stock started to crater. It briefly traded under 1$ per share 4 years later.

There was talk of Chapter 11, & the dividend was eliminated. 9 times out of 10,  sticking with it would be the wrong thing to do, but I did just that. Today its trading at around $105 per share, & the dividend was reinstated at the start of 2021.  As I stated earlier, I'm very lucky. 

That's fantastic! I dream every day of retirement - and I work in the retirement industry. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though. I could prolly retire and live off what I have in a couple of years, but the job is rewarding and something I can do anywhere on my own time without all the BS.

• Like 1

When I started doing the opposite of what my gut told me to do. :pointstosky::banana::overhead:

• Like 1

Now I get up around whenever. 
I used ta get up on time. 

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

When I started doing the opposite of what my gut told me to do. :pointstosky::banana::overhead:

George Costanza :)

5 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I could prolly retire and live off what I have in a couple of years, but the job is rewarding and something I can do anywhere on my own time without all the BS.

You can't put a price on a job you enjoy!

21 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

George Costanza :)

Just remember. It's not a lie if you believe it. :overhead:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, naomi said:

A change you made and look back on with gratitude for how much it wound up improving your life.

If I could beat procrastination (doing that right now),  that would be mine.

Most recently- divorce.

After a year and a half of separation and followed by 2 years of living in my new home, I can’t believe how much peace of mind I’ve gained. 

My blood pressure is way better- it was 117/70 yesterday, in the doctors office, discussing cancer treatments and their pros & cons. Yeah. No pressure there.
I remember seeing 160/105 during my marriage. Code= “with that reading, why aren’t you stroking out right now?”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Old School said:

Most recently- divorce.

I was just going to say that.  Mine was 10 years ago though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

Just remember. It's not a lie if you believe it. :overhead:

The digby mantra?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I was just going to say that.  Mine was 10 years ago though.

It’s amazing just how much of a change this results in.
I don’t wish divorce on anyone. But… when it’s time, it’s way past time.

1.  Positive attitude 

2.  Metamucil 

3.  Zoloft 

My most recent was taking a different direction with my faith.  I joined up with a more spiritual group. 

I have come to the conclusion that there is little to no future at my job, even though it pays well and is semi secure. I think I will make a decision in the next year about my direction  there.

In 1999 I started saving less and doing more things.  My mom and dad retired at 52.  They were both blue collar, never went to college and saved a substantial amount of their salary.  Their plan was to travel the world after they retired early.  My dad had a severe stroke at 54 and all that went out the window.  At the time, my ex-wife and I were on the same path, only without a kid we planned to retired at 45.  After my dad's stroke that changed.  We started saving less and doing things.  Traveling, going out to dinner more, going to more shows and sporting events.  I've been extremely fortunate and I will be able to retire at 55.  Nothing is guaranteed in this world and tomorrow is promised to no one!  Prepare for tomorrow but make damn sure you enjoy today!     

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

In 1999 I started saving less and doing more things.  My mom and dad retired at 52.  They were both blue collar, never went to college and saved a substantial amount of their salary.  Their plan was to travel the world after they retired early.  My dad had a severe stroke at 54 and all that went out the window.  At the time, my ex-wife and I were on the same path, only without a kid we planned to retired at 45.  After my dad's stroke that changed.  We started saving less and doing things.  Traveling, going out to dinner more, going to more shows and sporting events.  I've been extremely fortunate and I will be able to retire at 55.  Nothing is guaranteed in this world and tomorrow is promised to no one!  Prepare for tomorrow but make damn sure you enjoy today!     

Wish more people would do this. I spent a little bit of time working with annuities dealing with retirement accounts and you can’t believe the amount of people that have all the money in the world but now they’re too old to do anything with it. 

I mean at 65- 70 years old what the hell do you think you’re going to do? Deep sea diving and hang gliding? Fock no

55 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Wish more people would do this. I spent a little bit of time working with annuities dealing with retirement accounts and you can’t believe the amount of people that have all the money in the world but now they’re too old to do anything with it. 

I mean at 65- 70 years old what the hell do you think you’re going to do? Deep sea diving and hang gliding? Fock no

well that seems selfish.  maybe they are building up wealth to make life easier for their kids.

17 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Oh and procrastinating comes up in my annual review every year. Hopefully I can change that too

I think drinking and procrastination go hand in hand. At least they do for me.

17 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Quitting drinking will me mine. I just had a beer and three fingers Jacks so tomorrow will be day 1 …. Again. 

Well I woke up and no one is home so I kicked back a glass of Gentleman Jack. Much smoother then JD - perfect sipping drink while I decide my Derby agenda. 

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

well that seems selfish.  maybe they are building up wealth to make life easier for their kids.

Dont think either are wrong. I can understand spending YOUR money, i can understand saving it just in case or for kids…..and i can understand doing both. All personal preference. 

We will leave stuff to our kids but we sure as shiit are living while we can. 

I think the battle of life is won and lost in the mind.  I know that there are many verses in the Bible attempting to state this, and in other books too.    I fail hooge at this.  I wake up pissed most days.  Directly out of bed I am pissed and negative.  I honestly believe that we emit energy and that like attracts like.  BUT, it is so difficult for me to break this terrible habit.  I would be curious to learn how others here have overcome such an affliction and if and how they trained their mind to think and believe more positively.  

Quitting smoking and regular exercise..

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

Dont think either are wrong. I can understand spending YOUR money, i can understand saving it just in case or for kids…..and i can understand doing both. All personal preference. 

We will leave stuff to our kids but we sure as shiit are living while we can. 

well people 85+ still remember the Great Depression and are likely to err on the side of saving too much money.

Drinking more.

• Like 1