edjr

The S&P 500 is having its worst year so far in six decades.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sp-500-having-worst-year-in-six-decades-data-trek-205311482.html

The S&P 500 (^GSPC) rebounded ever-so-slightly on Tuesday, but failed to recoup losses from Monday’s ugly session and hovers closer to a bear market in the midst of sky-high inflation and a hawkish Federal Reserve looking to end easy money at last.

Recent analysis from DataTrek Research, a market research firm, revealed how the index's performance this year looks in the larger historical context.

“While there’s still 3 weeks of trading left in May, 2022 has been the worst year-to-date return (-16.3 pct) so far relative to overall down years for the index save 1962,” Jessica Rabe, co-founder of DataTrek Research, wrote in an email newsletter.

Based on past data, it is likely that the index will continue to underperform throughout the year, Rabe noted.

Thank you Biden. 👏

7 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Have the Democrats done anything right?

I believe they are doing exactly what they wanted to do, that is why they have to lie about the causes. Planned Recessions are part of the Green Agenda.

7 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

I believe they are doing exactly what they wanted to do, that is why they have to lie about the causes. Planned Recessions are part of the Green Agenda.

You give them too much credit.  You can't just plan a recession.

Do not be surprised if the markets rocket into November, including new all-time highs. I know I will not be surprised. More than 2 longtime market guys I follow say the same thing via different ways of analyzing the markets. One says S&P 6k the other says S&P 5500. THEN the sh1t hits the fan for real.

It does looks impossible right now though. 

22 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I timely predicted this: 

:bow: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edjr said:

The S&P 500 is having its worst year so far in six decades

Thank you Biden. 👏

all by design of course.......and don't forget, Biden is simply a dusty old muppet that does what the ghey Kenyon tells him to do

33 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

OvEr 50% of S&P500 iNvEsToRs ArE uNdErWaTeR

I am so far underwater I can see Biden's birthplace

I’m trying to figure out how and why there will be another bubble before the crash? Is Biden going to give the go ahead to drill baby drill? I can tell you this, myself and other people I know won’t be dining out much now that summer is here. The prices at restaurants across all spectrums are Fockin nuts.  I drink domestic swill. Bud, Miller Lite. 6 bucks. 90 cents at home. With tip at 20 pct that’s 7. 40. For a bottle of that crap? No thanks. Then with interest rates up, people won’t be taking out home equity loans to do stuff on their house. And looking even further out, the guy down the street has one of those robotic lawn mowers from Stihl.  Loves it. Sorry Pedro, you’re being replaced too. Grill baby grill! 

57 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

So what phase are we on?

The start of the first downward movement of stock prices.

• Haha 1

The S&P 500 is supposed to represent a broad cross section of large U.S. companies, giving index investors an attractive way to diversify their money while betting on the domestic economy.

That’s no longer the case.

With Big Tech earnings kicking off this week, the industry’s dominance is greater than ever: the five most valuable U.S. companies — Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Amazon and Facebook — now account for 17.5% of the S&P 500. That means investors passively putting money into the most popular exchange-traded fund, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF, are heavily, and perhaps unintentionally, wagering on U.S. tech companies.

This is from early 2020. Those 5 probably represented a much bigger percentage of the S&P 500 before the latest correction/bear started.

Just now, easilyscan said:

The S&P 500 is supposed to represent a broad cross section of large U.S. companies, giving index investors an attractive way to diversify their money while betting on the domestic economy.

That’s no longer the case.

With Big Tech earnings kicking off this week, the industry’s dominance is greater than ever: the five most valuable U.S. companies — Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Amazon and Facebook — now account for 17.5% of the S&P 500. That means investors passively putting money into the most popular exchange-traded fund, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF, are heavily, and perhaps unintentionally, wagering on U.S. tech companies.

This is from early 2020. Those 5 probably represented a much bigger percentage of the S&P 500 before the latest correction/bear started.

Facebook is doomed. Calling it. 

Fortunes are made in bear markets.

The last third of the baby boomers, the first generation of the self funded retirement, are retiring or getting close. This could be bad.  Real bad. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The last third of the baby boomers, the first generation of the self funded retirement, are retiring or getting close. This could be bad.  Real bad. 

How so?

That's a hell of a lot of wealth that will get passed on to the next generation. 

Inflation, Recession, Stocks tanking, Open Borders, Lockdowns, crime is up, drug overdose is up, perverts up, traditional families are down.  

You reap what you sow and America voted for this.  Elections have consequences and we’re now living them.  Great job. 

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

Inflation, Recession, Stocks tanking, Open Borders, Lockdowns, crime is up, drug overdose is up, perverts up, traditional families are down.  

We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning...

4 hours ago, Big Guy said:

all by design of course.......and don't forget, Biden is simply a dusty old muppet that does what the ghey Kenyon tells him to do

By design?

Why, democrats hate winning?

So focking dumb

Just now, IGotWorms said:

By design?

Why, democrats hate winning?

So focking dumb

Democrats like ruining the country. They want power, not prosperity. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Utilit99 said:

Democrats like ruining the country. They want power, not prosperity. 

Yeah because you get a lot of power when you’re slaughtered in the midterms and Biden can’t even get nominated for 4 more years :wacko: 

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah because you get a lot of power when you’re slaughtered in the midterms and Biden can’t even get nominated for 4 more years :wacko: 

Who is getting slaughtered in the midterms? And biden is an obvious wreck. He may not survive his term. 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Who is getting slaughtered in the midterms?

Democrats. They will get annihilated absent some really huge shift

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Democrats. They will get annihilated absent some really huge shift

If biden got 81 million votes for president, I'll believe the democrats get slaughtered in the midterms only when I see it. 

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If biden got 81 million votes for president, I'll believe the democrats get slaughtered in the midterms only when I see it. 

Biden got 81 million votes before inflation was at 8% and the stock market was down 20%. With those numbers he is Jimmy Carter at best

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Biden got 81 million votes before inflation was at 8% and the stock market was down 20%. With those numbers he is Jimmy Carter at best

I agree with you but you underestimate the power of media.  It's all Putin's fault......Orange Man this or that.......on and on.   None of what you just said matters to a large number of people.  It's all worth it if it means we are fighting Climate Change and Transgenders can piss in the bathroom of their choice.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

I agree with you but you underestimate the power of media.  It's all Putin's fault......Orange Man this or that.......on and on.   None of what you just said matters to a large number of people.  It's all worth it if it means we are fighting Climate Change and Transgenders can piss in the bathroom of their choice.  

Yeah probably for 30-35% of the country. But you’re getting annihilated if that’s your vote total

9 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

KSB has a point on this. And it seems now the border crisis is out of the picture even though it's still going on, and sending $40B to ukraine without a blink of the eye and no mention in liberal media, and etc, etc....

Now the abortion crap. This will influence votes over to democrats. Just don't know to what degree.  

Anyway, I hope Trump takes it easy for the next 6 months, and we can just let biden make his own deathbed.

Oh, and have you noticed that aoc and kameltoe have been pretty silent of late?

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

How so?

That's a hell of a lot of wealth that will get passed on to the next generation. 

What are you so dumb? Always trying to look so smart. What are they going to pass on if it’s gone? 

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

You reap what you sow and America voted for this.  Elections have consequences and we’re now living them.  Great job. 

Lockdowns?

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What are you so dumb? Always trying to look so smart. What are they going to pass on if it’s gone? 

It's not going to be "gone." Quit catastrophizing.

Now is the time to buy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Lockdowns?

Yes, I think it was page 25 of the Covid thread where some of us said way back when....  Locking down the country in 2020 and part of 2021 would have a NET negative on society,  no matter if it saved some lives, because depression would set in, drug use would go up, alcoholism would go up, crime would go up, poor kids would be left behind in school as they went virtual, abuse would go up, on and on and on.  Not to mention small business going out of business, etc.  

People like @MDC laughed back then,  just straight blinders on,  focused on all things Covid.  Couldn't see the forest for the trees.  

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

It's not going to be "gone." Quit catastrophizing.

Now is the time to buy.

The first year of the baby boomers were 62 in 2008 and could collect a large rate of social security at that age. They could let their money sit and wait for the comeback, as many had pensions. The bills were getting paid.  This wave of retirees have to wait until 66 to get most of their  SS, which is being destroyed by inflation, and they don’t have pensions at nearly the rate of the first wave of baby boomers. They need the money to retire. I expect many people close to retirement will be getting out of the market with the bulk of their retirement investment very soon. 

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

How so?

That depends on how many schiesters out there steal nest eggs for annuties.

32 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Locking down the country in 2020

what does this have to do with Biden?

26 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

what does this have to do with Biden?

Well, he would never open things back up and he kept sending people money. 

Hell, he just sent another $40B overseas when we have serious issues here to handle.