bostonlager

80s Movie Draft Thread Signup Thread

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

I work when Chinese kids have free time so weekends are when I'm busy but it's lunchtime so I have a moment. Not enough time to update, I'll do that this evening. I was pretty impressed we knocked out all of the first round in a matter of hours. Good job everybody.

Some quick answers to Qs...

You can shuffle stuff around from categories if you want.

Looks like nobody seconded Herbies idea for expanding High School / College to 2 required. But nobody dumped on the idea either. If there's continued silence, we'll keep it as is.

Time to eat.

Don't fix what ain't broken and lets keep up the good pace.

7 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I work when Chinese kids have free time so weekends are when I'm busy but it's lunchtime so I have a moment. Not enough time to update, I'll do that this evening. I was pretty impressed we knocked out all of the first round in a matter of hours. Good job everybody.

Some quick answers to Qs...

You can shuffle stuff around from categories if you want.

Looks like nobody seconded Herbies idea for expanding High School / College to 2 required. But nobody dumped on the idea either. If there's continued silence, we'll keep it as is.

Time to eat.

I did not see Herb's suggestion. I will second it. 

14 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I'm going to cut and paste three times so please post in this format to save me some edit work. With the dash between the name and category and parenthesis around year at the end.

12.3 Casablanca - Drama (1942)

Thanks to 5 Points for reading this. I guess it slipped past the other six.

I'd rather just cut-and-paste than cut-and-paste-and-edit. It makes things easier for me in this format:

8 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'd rather just cut-and-paste than cut-and-paste-and-edit. It makes things easier for me in this format:

I missed it but will do future picks in this format 

41 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

:cheers:

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

:cheers:

It was nice plugging Fast Times in.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Took about 15 seconds.

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

It was nice plugging Fast Times in.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Took about 15 seconds.

Thanks for doing the work! The least we can do is make it easier for you. 

Raiders of the Lost Ark is on Paramount tonight at 7:30 pm central time.

• Like 1

Friday evenings work around here. Saturday mornings and afternoons not so much. Made for easy updates when I woke up though.

2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is on Paramount tonight at 7:30 pm central time.

It was on earlier today too

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

It was on earlier today too

Yea,  I was watching it earlier and then had some things to do and wasn't able to watch that much but I watched it tonight.

• Like 1

This weekend lull has been aright. Reflection time I guess.  Between this and the 80s music draft has brought me back to a great of my teenage years. We all win. Thanks.🥕🥕🥕

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

This weekend lull has been aright. Reflection time I guess.  Between this and the 80s music draft has brought me back to a great of my teenage years. We all win. Thanks.🥕🥕🥕

Yea me too. Fun!

We're winding down, we're at 21.4 as I write this. Everyone has met the year requirement. 

We had a couple of auction draft ideas, that got buried. I'd like to has them out. We can do one or the other or both or neither.

Idea one, if you're not burned out and want a bit more, is an encore for this draft. We can do a three round auction to expand wildcards out from five to eight. You'd still have to meet the category requirements by the end of the round 24.

Idea two is another full draft with all the movies we we selected but in an auction format. Bunny suggested three titles, but that seems way too shallow. I'd think 10 at a minimum or better 16 titles would be better. Again, both ideas are auction format.

We don't have to do either. I think the first idea specifically, we'd need buy-in from everyone to want to do it. Just one person, any of us can veto it. The second is more ambitious but we could pull off with folks dropping out.

25 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

We're winding down, we're at 21.4 as I write this. Everyone has met the year requirement. 

We had a couple of auction draft ideas, that got buried. I'd like to has them out. We can do one or the other or both or neither.

Idea one, if you're not burned out and want a bit more, is an encore for this draft. We can do a three round auction to expand wildcards out from five to eight. You'd still have to meet the category requirements by the end of the round 24.

Idea two is another full draft with all the movies we we selected but in an auction format. Bunny suggested three titles, but that seems way too shallow. I'd think 10 at a minimum or better 16 titles would be better. Again, both ideas are auction format.

We don't have to do either. I think the first idea specifically, we'd need buy-in from everyone to want to do it. Just one person, any of us can veto it. The second is more ambitious but we could pull off with folks dropping out.

I'm okay with another three rds but not really up for a auction draft.

2 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I'm okay with another three rds but not really up for a auction draft.

OK auction draft for three more spots is vetoed.

We'll just pull the plug after round 24.

But I'm still hungry for more. For fun, I intend to make a JV squad sorting through the leftovers, using the same rules and see if I can't put together a solid looking roster. I'm just focking around because there's too much slipping that I want to clean up. Anyone that wants to do so is invited to as well.

11 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

We'll just pull the plug after round 24.

For fun, I intend to make a JV squad sorting through the leftovers, using the same rules and see if I can't put together a solid looking roster. I'm just focking around because there's too much slipping that I want to clean up. Anyone that wants to do so is invited to as well.

Sounds interesting but maybe take a week off after this ends ? I want to say appreciate all the work you put into this draft.

12 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Sounds interesting but maybe take a week off after this ends ? I want to say appreciate all the work you put into this draft.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

The JV stuff is lighthearted and just for fun.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

:lol:

In honor of your contributions to the draft, I'll make a JV roster for you too.

10 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Lol.

The Jerk was released December 14, 1979.... his potential first round pick hit the box offices two weeks too early. :wall:

• Sad 1

Just now, Voltaire said:

:wall: The Jerk was released December 14, 1979.... his potential first round pick was released two weeks too early.

He is just lonely.

Count me out for an auction of additional rounds. I don’t like the idea of auction at all. I don’t have the patience to figure out how much to spend on 25th round movies I’ve likely never seen. 

I would reluctantly partake in more rounds but the movies I care about are dwindling rapidly. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Count me out for an auction of additional rounds. I don’t like the idea of auction at all. I don’t have the patience to figure out how much to spend on 25th round movies I’ve likely never seen. 

I would reluctantly partake in more rounds but the movies I care about are dwindling rapidly. 

We're done at 24. It only takes one knife, here's two,`