Sign in to follow this  
Boots11234

Auto insurance claim question

My parked car was hit.  Other drivers insurance company agreed it was 100% his fault.  I got estimate from body shop.  I've since asked ins company to send me check for estimate and not to the shop.  They only sent me check for parts which was 1/3 the total cost.    Liberty mutual was his company.

Can they do this? Or do they have to pay me the full amount?

6 minutes ago, Boots11234 said:

My parked car was hit.  Other drivers insurance company agreed it was 100% his fault.  I got estimate from body shop.  I've since asked ins company to send me check for estimate and not to the shop.  They only sent me check for parts which was 1/3 the total cost.    Liberty mutual was his company.

I believe they should have sent you the full amount of the estimate.  Regardless of whether you are planning to get it fixed, you're entitled to the amount of money it would cost to make you whole.   I would be curious as to their reasoning on this.

So you’re trying to run a racket where you do it yourself and pocket the cost for someone else doing it?

I can see why the insurer is not enthused.

But I dunno, maybe they have to pay it anyway. I don’t know much about that.

I believe they are within their rights to pay the shop only.  I've seen both.  I've gotten a check before that I just gave to the shop, I've had another insurer only pay the shop directly, then I had one insurer send me a check and then send the shop a check.  No I didnt keep both, I ripped one up.

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

So you’re trying to run a racket where you do it yourself and pocket the cost for someone else doing it?

I can see why the insurer is not enthused.

But I dunno, maybe they have to pay it anyway. I don’t know much about that.

His car was damaged, the insurance company is responsible for paying for that damage, whether he gets the work done or not.

• Like 1

Boots, if I were you. I'd have all further communication with his insurance company go through your agent.

1 hour ago, paulinstl said:

His car was damaged, the insurance company is responsible for paying for that damage, whether he gets the work done or not.

Boots, if I were you. I'd have all further communication with his insurance company go through your agent.

These are the correct answers.  

Is the 1/3 cost of repairs the actual cash value of your vehicle?  Did they total it?  That would be the only way they could get by with paying you less than the cost of repairs.  

I blacked out last summer after our year end golf tournament. I hit the fence turning into my driveway :wall:

I called insurance and they didnt believe me. Figure it wasn't worth the hassle to fight.

Cost me 2800 out of pocket to fix my Lexus :cry: 

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

I blacked out last summer after our year end golf tournament. I hit the fence turning into my driveway :wall:

I called insurance and they didnt believe me. Figure it wasn't worth the hassle to fight.

Cost me 2800 out of pocket to fix my Lexus :cry: 

stupidity tax

11 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

stupidity tax

100%  No one to blame but me.  Wasn't even that much damage

34 minutes ago, edjr said:

100%  No one to blame but me.  Wasn't even that much damage

Should have been treated the same way as if u hit a car for your own vehicle damages and filed under collision. Not sure why they wouldn’t have believed u or why u didn’t pursue it harder other than u just thought $1800 or $2300 wasn’t worth it. Claim would have the ramifications of a surcharge for a few years and a hit to whatever good driver discount u have so maybe u we’re thinking about that too. 

Unless u have a claim forgiveness or claim forgiveness plan. This would protect u from the increases to your premium on the backside. Which brings me to a side note. If some of u all have been with your company for a certain amount of time say 5 or 10 years without a claim in past 5 years or so u may have an earned accident forgiveness.

2 hours ago, paulinstl said:

Yes. I may file a claim with my agent and have them go after the other guys insurance 

1 hour ago, NorthernVike said:

Is the 1/3 cost of repairs the actual cash value of your vehicle?  Did they total it?  That would be the only way they could get by with paying you less than the cost of repairs.  

No they didn’t total it.  It’s an 2009 Honda Fit. I thought they would but used car values are insane. I gave to daughter as a college car. I do not intend on getting it fixed unless they try to force me to accept the 1400 instead of the 3400. Right now the car is worth 3400 less than it was before the damage.   I will have shop fix it if I am forced to.  

I have a call into the insurance company and already spoke to state agency that regulates insurance. I need to file complaint if they don’t cover with state. 

3 hours ago, Boots11234 said:

You’re most likely only entitled to the “actual cash value” which means the cost of the repair less depreciation based on age or condition of your vehicle.

Go through your own insurer for the best experience.

5 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

You’re most likely only entitled to the “actual cash value” which means the cost of the repair less depreciation based on age or condition of your vehicle.

Go through your own insurer for the best experience.

You don't depreciate the cost of a repair.  He is entitled for the car to be in the same condition it was in before the incident.  Now, if the insurance company has reason to believe there was preexisting damage that might be one thing but they don't just get to depreciate the cost of the repair based on the age of the vehicle, other than totaling the vehicle.  I agree with going through his own insurance though.  That's one of the reasons we pay them.  They can deal with the hassle so the policy holder doesn't have to.

My best friend is an insurance broker. He confirmed what a few here have said, talk to your agent and have them deal with the other driver's insurance company. He also said that the most they can really do is request you get an estimate from a shop they work with if their claim adjuster has any questions about the claim. This is where your company can cut through the BS and get your full damages paid directly to you.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

You don't depreciate the cost of a repair.  He is entitled for the car to be in the same condition it was in before the incident.  Now, if the insurance company has reason to believe there was preexisting damage that might be one thing but they don't just get to depreciate the cost of the repair based on the age of the vehicle, other than totaling the vehicle.  I agree with going through his own insurance though.  That's one of the reasons we pay them.  They can deal with the hassle so the policy holder doesn't have to.

Listen, dude.  I’ve been adjusting claims for 20 years in some capacity or another.  Right now I’m a large loss adjuster handling enormous housefires.

In many states, legal liability for property damage is limited to ACV.  And in many of those states, depreciation is allowed to be applied on both material and labor.

Really don’t give a fck if you believe it or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My best friend is an insurance broker. He confirmed what a few here have said, talk to your agent and have them deal with the other driver's insurance company. He also said that the most they can really do is request you get an estimate from a shop they work with if their claim adjuster has any questions about the claim. This is where your company can cut through the BS and get your full damages paid directly to you.

The average agent is going to make minimal effort on this.  They sell, not adjust claims.  There are some agents who are more than happy to get knee deep in it, though.

9 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

The average agent is going to make minimal effort on this.  They sell, not adjust claims.  There are some agents who are more than happy to get knee deep in it, though.

One call from his agent to the at fault agent and a check will be cut and sent.

:thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, paulinstl said:

One call from his agent to the at fault agent and a check will be cut and sent.

:thumbsup:

You’re dreaming, man.

6 hours ago, paulinstl said:

If he still has a loan on the vehicle, the insurance company will not issue him a check. Only the body shop doing the work. In my experience 

Thirty plus years of being an adjuster. Independent. Do you own the vehicle or have a lien??? What state??? 

Did you pick the body shop??? Or did they??? You are the third party. And not at any fault???

13 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Thirty plus years of being an adjuster. Independent. Do you own the vehicle or have a lien??? What state??? 

This

56 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

No lien.  Paid in full.  I'm in MN.  I picked the body shop and sent them the estimate.  Liberty Mutual agreed their party was 100% at fault.  I have a video of him hitting it.  I only have liability on this car as it is so old.  Can I still file with my Ins?

Here is VM from liberty Mutual, word for word from google:

My name is Matthew with the Liberty Mutual claims department. I got your email in regards to payment. So just want to make it clear that that's not like a final amount that we're going to pay that estimate was written by our estimator. Just purely looking at the pictures of the damage. We don't write a one-to-one estimate for what the shop access the the shop is thinking about the whole entire job. The first estimate that we write is just purely visual damage. So whenever you take the vehicle in for the repairs, um, if the shop needs more money than what we came up with. They would just send us a supplement will review it and you know pay the difference. Um, so there there is potentially more money coming. It's just that's the first amount just based purely visual.

28 minutes ago, Boots11234 said:

No lien.  Paid in full.  I'm in MN.  I picked the body shop and sent them the estimate.  Liberty Mutual agreed their party was 100% at fault.  I have a video of him hitting it.  I only have liability on this car as it is so old.  Can I still file with my Ins?

My name is Matthew with the Liberty Mutual claims department. I got your email in regards to payment. So just want to make it clear that that's not like a final amount that we're going to pay that estimate was written by our estimator. Just purely looking at the pictures of the damage. We don't write a one-to-one estimate for what the shop access the the shop is thinking about the whole entire job. The first estimate that we write is just purely visual damage. So whenever you take the vehicle in for the repairs, um, if the shop needs more money than what we came up with. They would just send us a supplement will review it and you know pay the difference. Um, so there there is potentially more money coming. It's just that's the first amount just based purely visual.

Not abnormal for a shop to ask for supplemental.  That's the problem when you choose to do it yourself or not fix it at all.  They're only going to pay what they believe the damage is.  The shop can credibly ask for more. 

11 minutes ago, Boots11234 said:

Yes, all legal. All based on the body shops original pictures and estimate before breaking it down and going forward. You may have a couple of supplements before it’s all done. It’s What the industry has become in the last decade. Smart phones apps and relying on body shops to do the the right appraisals and eliminate the middle man. 

They may total your vehicle, which is a good thing based on its age. 

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Not abnormal for a shop to ask for supplemental.  That's the problem when you choose to do it yourself or not fix it at all.  They're only going to pay what they believe the damage is.  The shop can credibly ask for more. 

👍👍👍

Auto insurance is a fraud! Buy whole life and annuities!

Also, their insurance company should (must) be supplying you with a rental till the work is completed. Which takes more time these days due to parts shortages and backlogs body shops are experiencing. Don’t settle for anything less if they admit fault and you have an accident report to confirm it. I got a rental(2020) Dodge Charger for five weeks. Orange. Fully loaded. 

49 minutes ago, Boots11234 said:

No lien.  Paid in full. 

Fock that. You should get the full check and blow it on hookers and blow if you choose