Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Jarvis Landry signs with the Saints

Jameis has some targets now in the Big Easy…

• Like 1

This might have something to do with Michael Thomas.  A week ago the head coach said that Thomas "had a few hurdles" to return from his ankle injury.  At this point if he is not fully recovered there has to be some likelihood that he never recovers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobSanders_33 said:

This might have something to do with Michael Thomas.  A week ago the head coach said that Thomas "had a few hurdles" to return from his ankle injury.  At this point if he is not fully recovered there has to be some likelihood that he never recovers. 

Agreed 

He's been to 5 pro bowls?  😆

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's been to 5 pro bowls?  😆

5 straight years between 81-112 receptions and 976-1,174 yards is nothing to sneeze at. But if your point is the Pro Bowl is a joke, I'm pretty sure no one would argue...

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

5 straight years between 81-112 receptions and 976-1,174 yards is nothing to sneeze at. But if your point is the Pro Bowl is a joke, I'm pretty sure no one would argue...

Well, I just don't consider him to be that caliber of player. I see maybe one or two pro bowl seasons, not 5.

it's funny how the tweet also mentions his TDs.

Of the 5 years he made the Pro Bowl, in 3 of them he only scored 4 TDs. That's not exactly Pro Bowl caliber.

They vote a million WRs to the Pro Bowl though, so I guess it's not too surprising.

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Well, I just don't consider him to be that caliber of player. I see maybe one or two pro bowl seasons, not 5.

it's funny how the tweet also mentions his TDs.

Of the 5 years he made the Pro Bowl, in 3 of them he only scored 4 TDs. That's not exactly Pro Bowl caliber.

They vote a million WRs to the Pro Bowl though, so I guess it's not too surprising.

Agreed. Imo he’s basically a high-end JAG. I know that’s an unpopular opinion but I also don’t think it’s ever been disproven.

52 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Agreed. Imo he’s basically a high-end JAG. I know that’s an unpopular opinion but I also don’t think it’s ever been disproven.

He's not a bad WR by any means.

He's like a poor man's Amari Cooper, who is a poor man's All Pro WR.

I think he was one of those players who there was a lot of expectation for him to break out and be a stud. It never really happened. Instead he kind of stayed in the B grade category

10 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's not a bad WR by any means.

He's like a poor man's Amari Cooper, who is a poor man's All Pro WR.

I think he was one of those players who there was a lot of expectation for him to break out and be a stud. It never really happened. Instead he kind of stayed in the B grade category

He did break out. The result was a lot of catches for not a lot of yards on a sh1tty-ass team facing a ton of prevent defense. Big whoop 

1/2 point ppr Landry is a wr3-4 and should be once again. .  Unless Thomas isn’t ready to go, I can see Landry being a high wr3-low wr2. 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

How can one disprove a subjective statement? What is the definition of a Jag?  What is the definition of a high-end Jag? What separates a high end Jag from a low end non-Jag? I would argue five straight years like the ones Jarvis put up keeps him easily in the above average category. I do however recognize that my statement can neither be proven or disproved…

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

I would argue five straight years like the ones Jarvis put up keeps him easily in the above average category.

Did a deeper dive for the five pro bowl years of Jarvis Landry. 2015-2019. In 2015 he finished 4th in the NFL with 110 receptions and 13th in yards with 1157. 2016 8th in rec with 94, and 10th in yards with 1136. 2017 he finished first in rec with 112 and 17th in yards with 987. 2018 20th in rec with 81 and 22nd in yards with 976. Finally in 2019 19th in rec with 83 and 10th in yards with 1174. That includes all pass catchers (TE&RB). If there is another so called 'JAG' who put up 5 consecutive years like that I'd love to see it...

22 hours ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I’ll be targeting Landry, he’s been underrated. 

probably because of who his QB is.   I think he will do better than most people think.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, weepaws said:

1/2 point ppr Landry is a wr3-4 and should be once again. .  Unless Thomas isn’t ready to go, I can see Landry being a high wr3-low wr2. 

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

probably because of who his QB is.   I think he will do better than most people think.

How about you? 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

How about you? 

I always do better than what people think.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I always do better than what people think.

Lol good one 👍.  Based on Landry you said you think he’ll do better then people think, we’re do you rank him? 

Perfect landing spot for Landry…another season with a sub-par NFL QB.  NO is a dumpster fire until they get a real QB.  I won’t touch any of their skill players at their projected ADP.  If you do, make sure you have your paper bag handy.

3 hours ago, JagFan said:

Perfect landing spot for Landry…another season with a sub-par NFL QB.  NO is a dumpster fire until they get a real QB.  I won’t touch any of their skill players at their projected ADP.  If you do, make sure you have your paper bag handy.

idk about considering none of their skill players, but the skillsets of jameis and landry don't seem to mesh really well.  just 1 or 2 missed throws a game can really damage landry's ceiling, imo

2 hours ago, cavern said:

idk about considering none of their skill players, but the skillsets of jameis and landry don't seem to mesh really well.  just 1 or 2 missed throws a game can really damage landry's ceiling, imo

I’ll consider Kamara as a low end RB1, Winston as a QB3/ Bye week fill in, and Landry as a WR4/5.  

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

I’ll consider Kamara as a low end RB1, Winston as a QB3/ Bye week fill in, and Landry as a WR4/5.  

I think it depends on which Winston we get.

If we get the Winston who threw for 5000 yards in Tampa,  the interceptions dont negatively reflect on the Receivers stats.    so if we get that Winston, Landry could perform.

That said, he had a couple years under Payton.   so maybe he was also coached in the art of the checkdown.   so its not a given that this is a bad landing spot for Landry.

That said, his floor is low and his ceiling is high.

for me this makes him a great candidate for best ball formats as a WR3 or WR4.

the tough part with him is figuring out where the upside balances out the potential downside risks with him.   Hes one of those guys I plan to do some research on because he could potentially do a lot better than what people think he will.

Games in which Winston started last season Kamara was very successful.  

In 1/2 point ppr Kamara avg 17 points in those eight games. 

My biggest concern about Kamara is off field crap.  

If Thomas is healthy , and with the stud rookie Olave, I think Landry can be a good wr4 with some wr3 games.  

20 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I think it depends on which Winston we get.

If we get the Winston who threw for 5000 yards in Tampa,  the interceptions dont negatively reflect on the Receivers stats.    so if we get that Winston, Landry could perform.

That said, he had a couple years under Payton.   so maybe he was also coached in the art of the checkdown.   so its not a given that this is a bad landing spot for Landry.

That said, his floor is low and his ceiling is high.

for me this makes him a great candidate for best ball formats as a WR3 or WR4.

the tough part with him is figuring out where the upside balances out the potential downside risks with him.   Hes one of those guys I plan to do some research on because he could potentially do a lot better than what people think he will.

doesn't winston tend to throw a pretty good deep ball but struggle (relative to other NFL qb's) at throwing the types of routes Landry runs?

10 hours ago, cavern said:

doesn't winston tend to throw a pretty good deep ball but struggle (relative to other NFL qb's) at throwing the types of routes Landry runs?

I dont think the problem is with the throw.  he can make all the throws.

I think its been more along the lines of bad decision making.   too often he thinks he can zip it in there when he should be going to the next read.  (ie. he believes in his arm more than he should)   That gunslinger mentality needs to be there for a guy to become a top QB but he also needs to know when not to throw.    So what he ends up with is tons of yards, tons of TD's but also tons of INT's.

I could be wrong on this.  its been a while since I watched him play so my memory may not be as clear as it needs to be.  but I think this is the issue with him.

good news is.... receivers dont get punished when the QB tosses an INT.    so with a QB like him, if you are concerned about this, what you do is you buy in on the WR but dont buy the QB. (unless there is no penalty in your league for QB INT's)

but I suspect having been on the bench in New Orleans for a while I think hes been coached up a bit.  I suspect we will see a more conservative Winston than we saw when he was a starter in Tampa.   

if you can get Landry as a WR4 I think you are doing well in almost any format.   at that price the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

• Like 1