Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Restaurante protocal

I ordered Barramundi and it tasted nasty.  It had a strong fish taste.  Having never ate it before I assumed that was how it was to be.  - The waiter asked how everything was and I said just fine.

Do you let the wait staff know if you don't like the food? 

For me, depends on the restaurant.  If it's a place I frequent I will say something, most places want to know.  If not, I probably wouldn't and just never go back.

in modern US society, people have been trained to ONLY let Big Government step in to handle complaints about business.  People who try to do things on their own is too close to freedom so we frown upon that.  If you try to tell them service was poor, YOU are the problem and a serial complainer.  You should file a complaint with the local government and hope they do something (they won't).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As strange as this sounds - fish shouldn't be "fishy tasting" if it's fresh.   If it is fishy tasting - they've probably had it hanging around too long.    Barramundi is a variety of sea bass so it shouldn't really be a "strong" fish.   

To your question - it depends on where you are.   If it's a Long John Silver or a Joe's Crab Shack - well, you get what you pay for.    If it's a decent restaurant - then 100% you send it back and ask for something else. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Masshole said:

As strange as this sounds - fish shouldn't be "fishy tasting" if it's fresh.   If it is fishy tasting - they've probably had it hanging around too long.    Barramundi is a variety of sea bass so it shouldn't really be a "strong" fish.   

To your question - it depends on where you are.   If it's a Long John Silver or a Joe's Crab Shack - well, you get what you pay for.    If it's a decent restaurant - then 100% you send it back and ask for something else. 

it is pretty funny though that you can protest the home of a supreme court justice and its ok.  but complain about your food at a restaurant and you are the most evil person alive. i dont know how we got so screwed up.

27 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

in modern US society, people have been trained to ONLY let Big Government step in to handle complaints about business.  People who try to do things on their own is too close to freedom so we frown upon that.  If you try to tell them service was poor, YOU are the problem and a serial complainer.  You should file a complaint with the local government and hope they do something (they won't).

:lol:

13 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

it is pretty funny though that you can protest the home of a supreme court justice and its ok.  but complain about your food at a restaurant and you are the most evil person alive. i dont know how we got so screwed up.

That's because the waiter can spit in your food.

The worst Clarance Thomas can do is leave a pube on your Coke can.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Wait a minute. You mean, worse than your wife?

Right, you think he'd immune by now?

I have very rarely ever sent anything back.   But if the waitress/waiter (he/her/them) come by and asks how everything is I have been known to tell them the truth rather than a generic response.  

Listen if it is edible I will probably eat it and just tell them it wasn't very good.  And then perhaps not return again.  If it isn't edible or a totally wrong order I will send it back.  The latter hasnt happened to me more than a handful of times.  

I always accommodated the complainers as a bartender. If some black person sent back a drink saying there was "no liquor" in the drink (even though the drink was made perfectly), I would simply pour a bit of gin down into the straw, and that always, 100% of the time, satisfied them.  Never failed even once. :thumbsup:

HTF did a thread about sending your food back at a restaurant turn racial?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Old School said:

HTF did a thread about sending your food back at a restaurant turn racial?

Racists showed up, as they always do here :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I can't recall ever sending food back.  If I ordered fish I was not terribly familiar with, and it tasted "fishy", and I didn't like it, I'd make a mental note and not order it again and/or not return to the restaurant.  I suppose if it tasted like it was going to give me food poisoning I'd say something, but I've never had that experience.

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I can't recall ever sending food back.  If I ordered fish I was not terribly familiar with, and it tasted "fishy", and I didn't like it, I'd make a mental note and not order it again and/or not return to the restaurant.  I suppose if it tasted like it was going to give me food poisoning I'd say something, but I've never had that experience.

Same. I don’t believe I’ve ever sent food back. If I don’t like something, I’ll admit it to the server, but wouldn’t expect or want them to bring me something else.

I remember sending food back a couple of times. Both times I asked the manager if it looked/tasted normal to him. Both times the manager just changed it. 

I know a guy who owns a very high end restaurant in DC, he said that people send stuff back all the time,  including wine/drinks. I doubt he would ever serve fishy fish, so mostly they send back stuff they didn't really want. Part of the biz, I guess.

I have only sent food back once in my life and it was when my steak was too rare. I just asked them kindly to cook it a bit more.