Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone here bowl in a league

Used to when we lived in Maryland but I was young. Last time I bowled in a league it was as a replacement on my wife’s work league team. Would love to get back into it but don’t have team 

I miss it at times as well...  Been a long while for sure...

I've been in the same league for over 15 years.  It's a casual, beer drinking league that bowls every other Thursday night during winter.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

bowls every other Thursday night during winter.

That would suck IMO...

Candlepin, yes. 96 average. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Candlepin, yes. 96 average. 

Never did candlepin before. Is it a lot harder than regular bowling?

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Never did candlepin before. Is it a lot harder than regular bowling?

Well, I am too much of a weakling to throw those giant focking things.  

I did do that kind of bowling a few weeks ago and bowled a 145, which is 23 than my highest ever at candlepin. 

Candlepin is way more difficult. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Well, I am too much of a weakling to throw those giant focking things.  

I did do that kind of bowling a few weeks ago and bowled a 145, which is 23 than my highest ever at candlepin. 

Candlepin is way more difficult. 

Yea I’m googling it now and see both the pins and the ball. Curious to find out if the smaller ball is as heavy as the bigger ones. But looking at it now, with how long it’s been since I’ve bowled I’d do focking horrible with that. I’ll stick to regular bowling for now 😅

I have bowled in a league for a number of years, my wife and I bowled on the same team. We even bowled up to when my daughter turned 1, but then it became too big of hassle. It was easy when she was a cute baby though because since it was a coed league the women on the opposing team would even help. We barely had to do anything because they would practically fight over holding the baby.

Once she became a toddler and could walk though....

I have a trophy from that league, I bowled high game of the season at 278, I will never beat that.

I would like to get back into it, but it is just too time consuming and I have a ton of other time sinks as it is.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

Hell no.

Golf league April till October.

Bowling league October to April

Different nights, but works well.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

I have bowled in a league for a number of years, my wife and I bowled on the same team. We even bowled up to when my daughter turned 1, but then it became too big of hassle. It was easy when she was a cute baby though because since it was a coed league the women on the opposing team would even help. We barely had to do anything because they would practically fight over holding the baby.

Once she became a toddler and could walk though....

I have a trophy from that league, I bowled high game of the season at 278, I will never beat that.

I would like to get back into it, but it is just too time consuming and I have a ton of other time sinks as it is.

I got 279 once wii bowling, damn 10 pin :wall: 

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

Golf league April till October.

Bowling league October to April

Different nights, but works well.

I’d rather hunt.

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I’d rather hunt.

In the winter? every Tuesday from 6 to 9?

12 minutes ago, edjr said:

I got 279 once wii bowling, damn 10 pin :wall: 

My high in a league, and all time high, is 288. Filled in as a replacement on my wife’s work team in the military. Wife and I made a bet to see who got highest score. Whoever won got a massage from the other. We both ended up getting strike after strike. First time she bowled that high as well. She ended up not getting a strike on like the 7th/8th frame while I was still going strong. Ended up get a strike and a spare on the last frame. Only time I’ve ever come close to a perfect game 

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

My high in a league, and all time high, is 288. Filled in as a replacement on my wife’s work team in the military. Wife and I made a bet to see who got highest score. Whoever won got a massage from the other. We both ended up getting strike after strike. First time she bowled that high as well. She ended up not getting a strike on like the 7th/8th frame while I was still going strong. Ended up get a strike and a spare on the last frame. Only time I’ve ever come close to a perfect game 

I didn't think it was statistically possible to bowl a 288. I watch a lot of PBA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really miss my bowling league. Back when we put the team together we were all kind of in our get stupid days of life. Although the team is still at it, and I'm sure it's toned down a lot. I had to leave it when I moved away for my current job. 

If I ever move back I'm pretty sure I would be able to get back on the team. We started that team about 25 years ago and it's still going strong. Used to always be a lot drinking and gambling that one night a week. Tons of gambling in the league. Then after we bowled we would go into the bar and there would be like 15 of us just drinking and playing dice.

On our team we had penalty every week. The guy who bowled below (or lowest above) his average the most for the week would have to wear a skirt for the whole next week's games. It wasn't like a full on skirt. It was a pink stretchy mini skirt you would wear over your pants. The whole league knew what it meant on our team. And then when you go to bar and get some beers or whatever, there were always those who would say, "oh, bad week last week huh?" :lol: 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

I really miss my bowling league. Back when we put the team together we were all kind of in our get stupid days of life. Although the team is still at it, and I'm sure it's toned down a lot. I had to leave it when I moved away for my current job. 

If I ever move back I'm pretty sure I would be able to get back on the team. We started that team about 25 years ago and it's still going strong. Used to always be a lot drinking and gambling that one night a week. Tons of gambling in the league. Then after we bowled we would go into the bar and there would be like 15 of us just drinking and playing dice.

On our team we had penalty every week. The guy who bowled below (or lowest above) his average the most for the week would have to wear a skirt for the whole next week's games. It wasn't like a full on skirt. It was a pink stretchy mini skirt you would wear over your pants. The whole league knew what it meant on our team. And then when you go to bar and get some beers or whatever, there were always those who would say, "oh, bad week last week huh?" :lol: 

I bet you pretend the pins are all different women and you enjoy bowling those evil b1tches over.

4 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Bowled a 279 once, one spare in the 3rd.

Best average over a 6 week period was 215.

279 is very common.  Trying to figure how you bowl a 288

Yes you can statistically bowl a 288. I just did the math.

strike your 1st 10 balls. then get 8 and 0 

It is impossible to bowl a 288 if you don't get the 1st 10 strikes

1 minute ago, edjr said:

I bet you pretend the pins are all different women and you enjoy bowling those evil b1tches over.

I think of joyless reid and maxipad waters and stupid abrams. 

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

I didn't think it was statistically possible to bowl a 288. I watch a lot of PBA

First ten strikes, nine count, miss spare...

1 minute ago, posty said:

First ten strikes, nine count, miss spare...

Digby said he bowled a 288 with a spare in the 7th or 8th.. Which is unpossible. 279 is the max you can get there.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Digby said he bowled a 288 with a spare in the 7th or 8th.. Which is unpossible. 279 is the max you can get there.

You had him and her mixed up...he said he got a strike and spare in the last frame, which would require first 10 strikes, 8 and then picking up the spare...at least that's what I think.  I don't bowl.

1 hour ago, posty said:

That would suck IMO...

Why's that?  I don't have much else to do in the winter from 7 to 9:30.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

For a 288, you can go spare in the first, strikes until the last ball, eight count...

Just now, Gladiators said:

You had him and her mixed up...he said he got a strike and spare in the last frame, which would require first 10 strikes, 8 and then picking up the spare...at least that's what I think.  I don't bowl.

Won't be the last time I am wrong

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Why's that?  I don't have much else to do in the winter from 7 to 9:30.

It sucks that it is every other Thursday?  Why not every Thursday during the winter?

6 minutes ago, posty said:

It sucks that it is every other Thursday?  Why not every Thursday during the winter?

I think it's perfect actually.  Don't get burnt out on it by going every week.  It's also really hard to get enough people to bowl.  We usually have around 4 to 8 people subbing each time and there are only 16 regulars.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think it's perfect actually.  Don't get burnt out on it by going every week.  It's also really hard to get enough people to bowl.  We usually have around 4 to 8 people subbing each time and there are only 16 regulars.

I see your point, but I sure as hell couldn't do a league this way...

1 minute ago, posty said:

I see your point, but I sure as hell couldn't do a league this way...

I get that.  I'm in a bass fishing league during the summer that is every other Tuesday and I would rather it be every week.  I enjoy fishing more than bowling though.

Bowling has always been in my family. I quit about 10 years ago though. I had (8) 300 games in my day though so I was decent. LOOK AT MEEEEEE!@#

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

Bowling has always been in my family. I quit about 10 years ago though. I had (8) 300 games in my day though so I was decent. LOOK AT MEEEEEE!@#

A 278 was my all-time high... A 300 was one thing I always wanted to do when I was bowling a lot, never got to enjoy that...

Kind of like golf...  I never got a hole-in-one as I ended up about 1/2" from the cup...

Oh well...  Can't take the memory with you anyway, so better to never experience that euphoria I guess...

I used to be in a youth bowling league as a kid and was pretty decent.  7th grade basketball played Saturday mornings so I had to quit.  I bowl maybe once every 5 years these days and am lucky if I break 100.  

Bowling leagues are long as hell.  Like September through March around here.  Thats way too long.  

14 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

Wow!  Impressive.  I've yet to bowl a 300 but I've had two 279 games.  I had one of my 279s this year, left the 10 pin up in the 9th and got the spare.

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

I used to be in a youth bowling league as a kid and was pretty decent.  7th grade basketball played Saturday mornings so I had to quit.  I bowl maybe once every 5 years these days and am lucky if I break 100.  

Bowling leagues are long as hell.  Like September through March around here.  Thats way too long.  

When I was growing up, our leagues were 36 weeks on Saturdays...  That was damn fun...

Used to for almost 30 years. Averaged mostly in the mid to high 190's which is middle of the road these days. High game 290 which I followed up with a 160 something if I remember correctly.  Once had 17 strikes in a row over the course of 2 games.

19 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Used to for almost 30 years. Averaged mostly in the mid to high 190's which is middle of the road these days. High game 290 which I followed up with a 160 something if I remember correctly.  Once had 17 strikes in a row over the course of 2 games.

Nice...  I think the most that I ever was able to string together was five...  When I had my 278, I started with five, left a ten-pin and got the spare, then five more in a row and then the last ball was a seven-pin...

2 hours ago, posty said:

For a 288, you can go spare in the first, strikes until the last ball, eight count...

Well that's stupid.  He had a spare and an 8 count.  I get a spare in the third and clean the rest of the way and only get 279.

And all strikes with a spare with the last two balls is 289, I think that's what he initially said.