Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone here bowl in a league

1 hour ago, BufordT said:

Used to for almost 30 years. Averaged mostly in the mid to high 190's which is middle of the road these days. High game 290 which I followed up with a 160 something if I remember correctly.  Once had 17 strikes in a row over the course of 2 games.

I don't think mid to high 190s is middle of the road. Maybe high 180s if you are just talking beer leagues. 

One guy on my team is at 211 as an average, but he is at the high end of the league. Pretty blue collar competition. 

Funny thing is, his one chance at 300 came down to the last shot. Two strikes into the 10th and one more to go.  He guttered the bltch. :lol:

It still comes up from time to time in our fantasy football league when he is gloating about his wins. 

You buy the shirts, I am willing to travel.  I live in Michigan.  Where do you live?

We have to be called The Fabulous Fandandies though.  And there needs to be flames on our shirts.

9 hours ago, edjr said:

I didn't think it was statistically possible to bowl a 288. I watch a lot of PBA

Eh I just punched in the stuff on a bowling calculator. I just remember getting strikes all the way to the tenth frame where I got a spare. Can’t remember exactly what I scored but it was roughly that :dunno: 

Twinkle Toes...

20 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Used to when we lived in Maryland but I was young. Last time I bowled in a league it was as a replacement on my wife’s work league team. Would love to get back into it but don’t have team 

I bowled in 2 this year, I generally just bowl in 1 though.  In one of the leagues (Monday nights), I'm the treasurer and secretary, and in the other, I'm just a peon.

As the person who has to organize a league, here's my suggestion.

• Bowl in a summer league.  Now is a great time to look into it because most bowling alley's haven't started their leagues yet.
    • If they have leagues on multiple nights, and they probably do, they may steer you towards a league that needs more bowlers.  That could be good or bad.  I'd suggest to be willing to bowl in more than one league.  These leagues are usually only 12 to 14 weeks, so the commitment isn't all that demanding.
  • Don't be surprised to have people ask you about bowling in their regular league.
    • Odds are that your bowling will dictate who's asking.  Lesser bowlers are more willing to try and recruit new bowlers who aren't that good.  If you have a sub 160 average, virtually everyone who approaches you to bowl with them will be around your average and lower.  If you're 190+, you'll have everyone try to recruit you.  The good bowlers want good bowlers on their team to keep the team in contention.  The bad bowlers want good bowlers because they don't want their team to suck.
  • Don't commit too early if people approach you.  Tell those people to remind you about it in August... tell them you're not quite sure yet about what nights you're available.  The reason is that you don't want to commit to someone who's team might have a bunch of 110 to 140 bowlers.  There's nothing worse than being a 160 bowler who's still learning, and needing the pressure of being the best guy on the team.
  • Avoid scratch leagues unless you're a 190+ bowler.
  • Mixed leagues are great if you want to ease into it because they're usually a lot less competitive.

I bowled in a college league.  We got drunk every week during the regular season, and then didn't drink during the playoffs. The result?  League champions 2 of the 3 years we were in the league.

I've thought about getting back into it but was looking for a friend to join.  I've not found anyone who is interested.