edjr

Middle schoolers accused of sexual harassment for not using preferred pronouns

https://www.weau.com/2022/05/16/middle-schoolers-accused-sexual-harassment-not-using-preferred-pronouns-parents-say/

KIEL, Wis. (WBAY/Gray News) - The parents of three Wisconsin middle school students are asking the school district to stop a sexual harassment investigation into their sons and clear their records of any sort of charges or investigation.

The parents say that according to the Kiel Area School District, the Kiel Middle School students are under investigation for mispronouncing pronouns when referring to a classmate.

Last month, the parents of the three eighth-graders were notified their sons were being charged by school district officials with sexual harassment. A section of Title IX prohibits gender-based harassment in the form of name-calling on the basis of sex.

The district claims the boys were not referring to the student’s requested pronouns of “they” and “them.”

Rose Rabidoux, the mother of a student involved, told WBAY she accompanied her son the day after the notification to an interview with school officials. She told them the use of the pronouns was confusing to her son, and he had no obligation to refer to the classmate by those pronouns.

“Sexual harassment, that’s rape, that’s incest, that’s inappropriate touching,” Rabidoux said. “What did my son do? He’s a little boy. He told me that he was being charged with sexual harassment for not using the right pronouns.”

Rabidoux said the classmate only announced their preferred pronouns earlier this year and preferred those pronouns be used when identifying them.

“It’s plural. It doesn’t make sense to him. ... So, I told him to call them by their names,” Rabidoux said.

Through a letter from their attorney, the parents are asking for the charges to be dropped immediately, saying they have no standing legally.

“It’s not sexual harassment under Title IX, under their own policy, under federal law, and it’s probably a First Amendment violation. Almost certainly, if that’s their theory, that solely using the wrong pronoun, that would be a First Amendment violation,” said Luke Berg with the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty.

The attorney also said the charges have no standing under the school district’s own policy.

“Eighth-graders shouldn’t be subjected to this kind of investigation or this type of reputational harm for something that on its face clearly doesn’t violate Title IX in sexual harassment. Their own policy says that if on the face of the complaint the conduct, even if proven, wouldn’t amount to sexual harassment, it should be immediately dismissed. That’s what should have happened here, and it didn’t,” Berg said.

The school district doesn’t comment on student matters but provided this statement from Superintendent Brad Ebert:

“The KASD prohibits all forms of bullying and harassment in accordance with all laws, including Title IX, and will continue to support ALL students regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, sex (including transgender status, change of sex or gender identity), or physical, mental, emotional or learning disability (”Protected Classes”) in any of its student programs and activities; this is consistent with school board policy. We do not comment on any student matters.”

The boys’ families have asked for a response from the district by next Friday. Their attorney tells us if the boys’ records aren’t cleared and they are punished, there is a strong possibility they’ll pursue legal action against the district.

:doh: 

I have mentioned this in other threads, but my wife teaches 7th/8th graders and they were told that if a child wants to be called by a different name/pronoun because they think they are "trans", the teacher must do so...  The kids parents are not informed of this change at all...  If the teacher then talks to the parents, they must use their given name/pronoun...

I still can't believe that if a 12-14 year old wants to change that the teachers aren't allowed to tell the parents...

the mother is confusing harassment with assault. bullying is certainly harassment.

Imagine the can o' worms opened up if you can be charged for not using somebody's preferred pronouns? 

Would the courts back somebody who says their pronouns are owner/master and then gets the sh1t rightfully beaten out of them by making black people use the pronouns?

I have been assured by a teaching professional that if it’s not happening where you live it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Old School said:

The race to total stupidity continues.

I wish it was stupidity.  But this is an obscene power grab done very intentionally to eliminate any speech which is counter to the left's extreme politics.  

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have been assured by a teaching professional that if it’s not happening where you live it doesn’t matter. 

It only happens when they are caught.  

10 minutes ago, DonS said:

Imagine the can o' worms opened up if you can be charged for not using somebody's preferred pronouns? 

Would the courts back somebody who says their pronouns are owner/master and then gets the sh1t rightfully beaten out of them by making black people use the pronouns?

I am multi-binary and non-binary.  I like to be a She on Monday and Tuesday, a He on Wedensday, Thursday and Friday and a They on Saturday and Sunday and don't you dare get it wrong or I will bring criminal charges.  

I am not buying "he doesn't understand". I would guess he was being a dink about it. While it might be annoying, its not that hard just to use someones name like his ma said.

4 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I am not buying "he doesn't understand". I would guess he was being a dink about it. While it might be annoying, its not that hard just to use someones name like his ma said.

Yeah, well kids are d*cks.  So what?  It's not sexual harassment and certainly not what title ix was intended for, if it's even accurate to say it violates title ix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah, well kids are d*cks.  So what?  It's not sexual harassment and certainly not what title ix was intended for, if it's even accurate to say it violates title ix.

I don't really disagree with you. When kids are dinks, you tell them stop being dinks. If they don't stop, they get punished usually. Charging them with sexual harrasment is a bit far, but like I said I expect these kids were been right cooonts about it. just a guess though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I don't really disagree with you. When kids are dinks, you tell them stop being dinks. If they don't stop, they get punished usually. Charging them with sexual harrasment is a bit far, but like I said I expect these kids were been right cooonts about it. just a guess though.

A stupid guess.  Who the heck knows someone wants to be call 'they'?  The only people who are being jerks are the self-righteous entitled woke idiots who thinks the world has to bow down to their stupidity.  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jonmx said:

A stupid guess.  Who the heck knows someone wants to be call 'they'?  The only people who are being jerks are the self-righteous entitled woke idiots who thinks the world has to bow down to their stupidity.  

dummy..they knew what they wanted to be called because they were told. they then talked to their mothers who said just call them by their names. sounds like they did not do that.

13 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

dummy..they knew what they wanted to be called because they were told. they then talked to their mothers who said just call them by their names. sounds like they did not do that.

You are assuming this continued to happen after he talked to his mother.  The article does not indicate that.  They made it known at the start of the year, but it sounds like it was one incident.  I have seen how these entitled jerks behave.  They know they have the support of the school and they milk that power whenever anyone messes up and then go into full victim mode which is the real bullying.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

"a bit far"

It's hard to believe people like you exist. 

4 minutes ago, jonmx said:

You are assuming this continued to happen after he talked to his mother.  The article does not indicate that.  They made it known at the start of the year, but it sounds like it was one incident.  I have seen how these entitled jerks behave.  They know they have the support of the school and they milk that power whenever anyone messes up and then go into full victim mode which is the real bullying.  

I want to change my pronoun to "ZOD" just so I can say this:

Get ready for a lawsuit if you don't comply!  :mad:

Wait... I thought "gender" and "sex" were 2 different things.  If you "mis-gender" someone, that has no foundation for a "sexual harassment" investigation.  I'd sue the school for defamation of character and slander, then for filing false charges.

11 minutes ago, jonmx said:

that certainly could be true as well

"To what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?" -Dave Chappelle

• Thanks 1

So I guess this is Common Core English?

10 minutes ago, DonS said:

I want to change my pronoun to "ZOD" just so I can say this:

Get ready for a lawsuit if you don't comply!  :mad:

It is funny how they act like they are experts in all this biology science and gender nonsense in one sentence, then conflate the two in the next.  Whenever you ask them to define female, they get this dumbfounded look on their face.  

8 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Has to be fake

You would think but...

52 minutes ago, jonmx said:

My preferred pronoun is 'master'  

I go by "High Lord Master"   My wife sexually harasses me by not adhering to my preferred pronoun during sex.

2 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I go by "High Lord Master"   My wife sexually harasses me by not adhering to my preferred pronoun during sex.

Well, it would be confusing if she called us both the same thing. :dunno:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Sounds like someone needs to get the hose again. :nono:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, frank said:

Well, it would be confusing if she called us both the same thing. :dunno:

I guess I asked for that.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, DonS said:

There's no way you can charge somebody for not patronizing sick people. 

You can call yourself whatever you like, IDGAF. But you can't force me to suspend my disbelief. 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, Old School said:

The race to total stupidity continues.

look, the government just wants to take your children away from you, ok?

Thank God my boys are cowboy boot wearing men who aren’t falling into this trap.  There is hope men, there is hope for our country.