Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Any of you guys have a second home somewhere?

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What percentage does VRBO take?

You can do a yearly plan for $500 for all bookings. or about 9% per. We are doing the 9% since we reopened after Covid. We have a lot of people that are returns and reach out to us direct, so they avoid any fees. Here is an example of Mar 14th to 20th. 

6 nights 1280

Cleaning 80

Ins 59

Taxes 138

renter fee to vrbo 168

Total pd by renter 1724.54

We take 1280+80-113..the 113 is what we pay to VRBO

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

You can do a yearly plan for $500 for all bookings. or about 9% per. We are doing the 9% since we reopened after Covid. We have a lot of people that are returns and reach out to us direct, so they avoid any fees. Here is an example of Mar 14th to 20th. 

6 nights 1280

Cleaning 80

Ins 59

Taxes 138

renter fee to vrbo 168

That's pretty good.

I bought a little place for my Goomah in Brooklyn. With specific instructions that she can never come to Queens.

• Haha 1

No but I plan on buying a few rental properties soon. Will eventually rent my current house out. Planning on buying a plot of land and building on it

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I like the Oar House in town (not by the beach, unfortunately). Pretty good food and totally reminds me of a place overlooking the harbor in my hometown :wistful: 

Not sure when we'll be back down that way since we have our own beach place, but I'll keep that in mind.  :thumbsup:

Regarding Pelican more of their beers are becoming available up here.  Currently enjoying their Hazestack hazy DIPA.   And before someone b1tches about crazy hipster beer names it's named that way because of the gigantic haystack right by the brewery. 

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/chief+kiwanda+rock+pacific+city

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Why am I not surprised that 75% of the GC has a vacation home?

I'm surprised it's not 90%.  The GC standards are slipping. 

My main home  is my vacation home. 

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Interest rates going up is definitely having a big impact. But it’s a normal impact, not a 2007 sky is falling type scenario

Jury is out. Might have an effect on sales but not prices. Supply and demand still run the market, and the 2007 bubble happened because demand dried up. 

10 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Why am I not surprised that 75% of the GC has a vacation home?

My idea for a second home is a small cabin/trailer in on an acreage in the woods or along the Mississippi River.  Nothing extravagant and not what most people would think of when they think of a second home.  I'm looking for something that's less than $120,000. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My idea for a second home is a small cabin/trailer in on an acreage in the woods or along the Mississippi River.  Nothing extravagant and not what most people would think of when they think of a second home.  I'm looking for something that's less than $120,000. 

I pd 116k. 3bd 1 bath. .33 acres.

13 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Jury is out. Might have an effect on sales but not prices. Supply and demand still run the market, and the 2007 bubble happened because demand dried up. 

Part of the demand was you’d be slightly stupid not to take a mortgage at under 3%

14 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Part of the demand was you’d be slightly stupid not to take a mortgage at under 3%

I don't understand.  Who didn't take a mortgage at under 3%?  

18 hours ago, Herbivore said:

6 nights 1280

Cleaning 80

Ins 59

Taxes 138

renter fee to vrbo 168

do you not actually spend the $80 on cleaning?

21 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

do you not actually spend the $80 on cleaning?

about half the time we do it ourselves.

47 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I don't understand.  Who didn't take a mortgage at under 3%?  

Right. But you can’t get it now. So less demand :doh:

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Right. But you can’t get it now. So less demand :doh:

So what you meant to say was that anyone who takes a rate over 3 is stupid.  And that stupidity will result in les demand?  Is that what you are trying to say? dummy.   We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

So what you meant to say was that anyone who takes a rate over 3 is stupid.  And that stupidity will result in les demand?  Is that what you are trying to say? dummy.   We'll see. 

Good lord you’re stupid.0

Try to follow me here.

When interest rates are super low, real estate is a great investment and everyone wants in on it. It’s basically “free money” that you can invest so why the fock wouldn’t you do it? So there is huge demand.

When interest rates rise it is no longer quite as good of an investment, at least not unless prices come down considerably. So there is less demand.

Got it? :doh:

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Good lord you’re stupid.0

Try to follow me here.

When interest rates are super low, real estate is a great investment and everyone wants in on it. It’s basically “free money” that you can invest so why the fock wouldn’t you do it? So there is huge demand.

When interest rates rise it is no longer quite as good of an investment, at least not unless prices come down considerably. So there is less demand.

Got it? :doh:

Finally your drivel comes out making sense.  But still may not be correct as it's all your opinion. House purchases, while all investments over the long run, are not always done for the purpose of investing.  

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Finally your drivel comes out making sense.  But still may not be correct as it's all your opinion. House purchases, while all investments over the long run, are not always done for the purpose of investing.  

Well no sh1t dummy. But if home purchases are sometimes for the purposes of investing, and the investment is not as good, then demand should decrease :doh:

It’s not my fault you’re too stupid to follow :lol:

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Well no sh1t dummy. But if home purchases are sometimes for the purposes of investing, and the investment is not as good, then demand should decrease :doh:

It’s not my fault you’re too stupid to follow :lol:

The guy that says anyone who takes a loan over 3% is stupid is calling me out.  I had loans at over 10% 30 years ago. It's what Americans who need homes do.  Climb back in your trust fund.

Welp…of all the threads I thought could possibly get into a slap fight…this wasn’t one of them.

But here we are.

33 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I would argue that the only reason anyone should but real estate is for investment, otherwise you're better off renting.

16 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Welp…of all the threads I thought could possibly get into a slap fight…this wasn’t one of them.

But here we are.

Yep!  :lol:

37 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The guy that says anyone who takes a loan over 3% is stupid is calling me out.  I had loans at over 10% 30 years ago. It's what Americans who need homes do.  Climb back in your trust fund.

Lol, that’s not what I said, dumbass :doublethumbsup:

10 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I would argue that the only reason anyone should but real estate is for investment, otherwise you're better off renting.

how so

Illigals and refugees have to live somewhere. There’s your demand 

12 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

This is very true.

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I disagree.

One, nobody can make you leave or Jack up your rent. That is, assuming you have a fixed rate mortgage and are able to keep making payments.

Two, it’s nice to have your own little slice of things. Nobody can mess with you and you can do whatever you want (generally speaking).

Three, rent gets you nothing. You could pay rent for 30 years and you’ll still have nothing. A mortgage nets you the biggest asset you’ll probably ever own at the end of 30 years (or 15).

Renting is a temporary solution only, IMO. Fine when you’re young or recently relocated. Otherwise you’ve probably gone wrong somewhere

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

how so

Money - home ownership can be expensive if you're not in it for a few years minimum, and if you're not willing to put in the time and effort to make it worthwhile.

Timing - Especially now, the short term outlook for real estate is not good, so buying now could put you in a hole 6 months from now.

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Illigals and refugees have to live somewhere. There’s your demand 

Well fock, if they’re bringing that much money to the table then wave em in, I say :first:

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Well fock, if they’re bringing that much money to the table then wave em in, I say :first:

Ha! They ain’t paying. The You S A  is paying. 

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

I disagree.

One, nobody can make you leave or Jack up your rent. That is, assuming you have a fixed rate mortgage and are able to keep making payments.

Two, it’s nice to have your own little slice of things. Nobody can mess with you and you can do whatever you want (generally speaking).

Three, rent gets you nothing. You could pay rent for 30 years and you’ll still have nothing. A mortgage nets you the biggest asset you’ll probably ever own at the end of 30 years (or 15).

Renting is a temporary solution only, IMO. Fine when you’re young or recently relocated. Otherwise you’ve probably gone wrong somewhere

One - Your taxes and insurance go up all the time

two - usually same for renting

three - That's an investment.

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

One - Your taxes and insurance go up all the time

two - usually same for renting

three - That's an investment.

Well three is always on the table, so you’ve basically disproven yourself, no?

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ha! They ain’t paying. The You S A  is paying. 

I doubt I’m buying 1/2 million dollar houses for illegals. Please go ahead and prove me wrong, I’d really like to know if that’s the case

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Well three is always on the table, so you’ve basically disproven yourself, no?

Uh, no.  For the reasons I stated above, if you're not looking at your home as an investment, in my opinion, you're going to fare better financially renting, even with the small possibilities of a landlord kicking you our or raising your rent.  If you solely want a place to live, it's cheaper and easier to rent.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Uh, no.  For the reasons I stated above, if you're not looking at your home as an investment, in my opinion, you're going to fare better financially renting, even with the small possibilities of a landlord kicking you our or raising your rent.  If you solely want a place to live, it's cheaper and easier to rent.

Yeah I dunno, like I said if you’re super young or recently relocated, or a scenario where you’re constantly moving like the military or something, but for most people I just don’t see your point at all