Sign in to follow this  
remote controller

Josh Rosen

I don't think they had too.  I don't think he was on their roster.  If I recall, he was only signed through the end of last year.

R Leaf, I think the Colts almost picked him over some guy named P Manning. 

JaMarcus Russell is widely considered to be the biggest QB bust of all time, but Ryan Leaf would get honorable mention.  Rosen is up there, but he was only the 10th overall pick, not a 1 or 2 like Russell and Leaf.

• Like 1

Let's list the biggest QB busts.  So many I can't think of them all on my own.  Some have already been mentioned.

Trevor Lawrence

Justin Fields

Dwayne Haskins

Josh Rosen

Paxton Lynch

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

EJ Manuel

Christian Ponder

Jimmy Clausen

JaMarcus Russell

Matt Leinart

Joey Harrington 

David Carr

Giovanni Carmazzi

Akili Smith

Ryan Leaf

Cade McNown

Heath Shuler

Rick Mirer

David Klingler

Browning Nagle

Todd Marinovich

9 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Let's list the biggest QB busts.  So many I can't think of them all on my own.  Some have already been mentioned.

Trevor Lawrence

Justin Fields

Dwayne Haskins

Josh Rosen

Paxton Lynch

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

EJ Manuel

Christian Ponder

Jimmy Clausen

JaMarcus Russell

Matt Leinart

Joey Harrington 

David Carr

Giovanni Carmazzi

Akili Smith

Ryan Leaf

Cade McNown

Heath Shuler

Rick Mirer

David Klingler

Browning Nagle

Todd Marinovich

I wouldn't put Trevor Lawrence or Justing Fields on the list just yet...

Don't forget Andre Ware, Blaine Gabbert, Vince Young

Nice list of qbs that have been a bust, but one has missed the point of the question, which is the biggest bust.  

R Leaf is the winner.  

16 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Trevor Lawrence

Justin Fields

Dwayne Haskins

Josh Rosen

Paxton Lynch

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

EJ Manuel

Christian Ponder

Jimmy Clausen

JaMarcus Russell

Matt Leinart

Joey Harrington 

David Carr

Giovanni Carmazzi

Akili Smith

Ryan Leaf

Cade McNown

Heath Shuler

Rick Mirer

David Klingler

Browning Nagle

Todd Marinovich

I wouldn't consider 2nd round & later QB's, such as Nagle or Carmazzi as busts.

7 hours ago, polecatt said:

Don't forget Andre Ware, Blaine Gabbert, Vince Young

There's plenty of others too like Josh Freeman, RG3, Todd Blackledge, Dave Brown, Winston, Mariota, etc.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

I wouldn't consider 2nd round & later QB's, such as Nagle or Carmazzi as busts.

There's plenty of others too like Josh Freeman, RG3, Todd Blackledge, Dave Brown, Winston, Mariota, etc.

Yeah, it's really silly to consider all those guys to be busts. Including Winston and Mariota.

22 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah, it's really silly to consider all those guys to be busts. Including Winston and Mariota.

well, they are definitely busts for the team that drafted them as they are no longer an asset within the organization.   though busts in the sense of what they did in their career relative to where they were drafted?  that remains to be seen.

Winston and Mariota still have a chance to turn it around.   Winston might.  hes shown some flashes in his 5000 yard season.   Mariota not so much.   I actually thought he'd be a career backup from here on out but he got himself a starting gig for this year, so he may yet salvage his career.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, weepaws said:

Nice list of qbs that have been a bust, but one has missed the point of the question, which is the biggest bust.  

R Leaf is the winner.  

A guy who played in 25 games and started 21 does not even come close to comparing with Rosen.  Leaf was a bust but Rosen never even got to barely find the field.

Leaf along with Manning were considered the best two players in the 1998 draft, not just qbs , but best two players period.  

Leaf was being compared equally with the HOF Manning.  

Leaf did play in 25 games, and he did start 21 games , and in those games he completed 48% of his passes, and tossed 14 tds while tossing 36 ints. 

R Leaf is easily the biggest Qb bust ever in the nfl.  

2 hours ago, remote controller said:

A guy who played in 25 games and started 21 does not even come close to comparing with Rosen.  Leaf was a bust but Rosen never even got to barely find the field.

I’m glad that you found some way to actually contribute to the conversation. 

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Leaf along with Manning were considered the best two players in the 1998 draft, not just qbs , but best two players period.  

Leaf did play in 25 games, and he did start 21 games , and in those games he completed 48% of his passes, and tossed 14 tds while tossing 36 ints. 

He was the biggest idiot for sure but as far as QB busts, he is simply in a bust category. for QBs. No differentiating between the group.

Heath Schuler? 

Mike Phipps?

Jamarcus Russell?

David Klingler?

Akili Smith?

Rick Mirer?

The great Art Schlichter?

I'm not saying Ryan Leaf wasn't a huge bust, just that he simply drops into the same category as all these other guys. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, AxeElf said:

Rosen is up there, but he was only the 10th overall pick, not a 1 or 2 like Russell and Leaf.

this I agree with.   when teams package multiple firsts to move up 7 or 8 spots to take a QB in the top 3 picks I have to think its a bigger bust when someone goes #1 or #2 overall compared to #10.

as for arguing over who is the biggest bust.... who cares, they are all crappy players.

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

this I agree with.   when teams package multiple firsts to move up 7 or 8 spots to take a QB in the top 3 picks I have to think its a bigger bust when someone goes #1 or #2 overall compared to #10.

as for arguing over who is the biggest bust.... who cares, they are all crappy players.

Makes for good conversation in May.  

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

He was the biggest idiot for sure but as far as QB busts, he is simply in a bust category. for QBs. No differentiating between the group.

Heath Schuler? 

Mike Phipps?

Jamarcus Russell?

David Klingler?

Akili Smith?

Rick Mirer?

The great Art Schlichter?

I'm not saying Ryan Leaf wasn't a huge bust, just that he simply drops into the same category as all these other guys. 

That’s just boring, stop gaslighting, and pick one.  

Thanks. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:51 PM, weepaws said:

Russel played in 31 games and started in 25 games, in those games he completed 52% of his passes, and tossed 18tds while tossing 23 ints.  

R Leaf is still the winner.  

Russell was taken #1 overall.  Close enough to Leaf's stats and #1 draft pick vs #2 for Leaf, make Jamarcus the biggest draft bust.

Leaf stats are considerably worst.  Leaf was being compared to a Qb you might have heard of in the 1998 draft, P Manning. 

Russell had a passer rating of 62, Leaf passer rating was 50.  

Their stats aren’t even comparable.   

Leaf is the biggest bust.  

Thanks for your contribution to this tread, now you have learn something.  

Welcome.  

On 5/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, remote controller said:

He has to be the biggest flop in QB draft history, or on the list of the top 3.

I wonder if all the teams he said would regret not taking him are regretting not taking him.