edjr

Brittney Grinder traded for an arms dealer. Some would say an even trade **UPDATE**

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

What should we do?  How long do you want Americans held?

Weird question.  I don't want any Americans held.  But we shouldn't just be willing to give up dangerous people for PR points.  If it was the last girl off the bench from some WNBA team, they probably wouldn't of bothered.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

From what I've been reading, Biden is working on getting Whelan back.  Russia must be unwilling to work out a deal on him yet.

NEW from the Whelan family: "There is no greater success than for a wrongful detainee to be freed & for them to go home. The Biden Admin made the right decision to bring Ms. Griner home, & to make the deal that was possible, rather than waiting for one that wasn't going to..”

Smart move by the family.  Bitching about it likely doesn't help their cause.

Asked for comment on Air Force One, sent to bring Griner back to the U.S., she said:

I think it's disgusting that it took this long for the U.S. to get me released.  Had a strong black man been in charge I would have been home 6 months ago.  The white man needed to oppress me even in another country.  I look forward to some good carpet munching once I reunite with my betrothed.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Disgusting, this makes me sick. Her ass better stand tall and at attention when our anthem is played now. 

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Man, Russia played the US like a fiddle on this one. Great way to incentive more bullsh!t arrests in Russia. We didn't even get the Whelan in the deal.

25 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Griners sentence was overboard, sure.  Whelan is a Marine falsely charged with “spying” by Russia.  

My issue isn’t in the dealing per se, it’s wondering how the hell Brittany skipped line all the way to the top?  I think we all know the answer.  

14 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'm glad Griner is on her way home, but I'm really disappointed that Whelan wasn't included in the deal.  

Agreed

Just now, Gladiators said:

Smart move by the family.  Bitching about it likely doesn't help their cause.

According to an interview back in April, Biden has been in contact with Whelan and his family a lot.  I think they know he's trying hard to get him released and they understand it was going to be easier to get Griner back than him.  I don't see this as being as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

According to an interview back in April, Biden has been in contact with Whelan and his family a lot.  I think they know he's trying hard to get him released and they understand it was going to be easier to get Griner back than him.  I don't see this as being as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be.

That's fine.  I disagree with your stance.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

From what I've been reading, Biden is working on getting Whelan back.  Russia must be unwilling to work out a deal on him yet.

NEW from the Whelan family: "There is no greater success than for a wrongful detainee to be freed & for them to go home. The Biden Admin made the right decision to bring Ms. Griner home, & to make the deal that was possible, rather than waiting for one that wasn't going to..”

Very gracious of that family.  Also, likely prudent.

So the precedent now is offer up a dangerous terrorist anytime an American gets detained in Russia?  How many Americans are detained across the world? 

I mean ok....

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

That's fine.  I disagree with your stance.

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm curious what you think should have been done differently though?  How long do you leave her there before you get the deal you feel is fair?

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Very gracious of that family.  Also, likely prudent.

I mean it is the family of a Marine.  Not the family of an entitled wnba player who gets all the publicity.    I am not that surprised at the difference.   

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

So the precedent now is offer up a dangerous terrorist anytime an American gets detained in Russia?  How many Americans are detained across the world? 

I mean ok....

You are actins as if you know how the negotiations went.  Maybe it was this or nothing.  I have no idea.

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm curious what you think should have been done differently though?  How long do you leave her there before you get the deal you feel is fair?

For me, as long as it takes.  She knew or should have known the risk she was taking.  

How long have we left others detained across the world without 1% of the effort given here?

You keep saying "how long do you want her there"?  You seem to be missing the point.

I think the deal needs to be fair.  The timeline is irrelevant.  This deal was completely lopsided IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I mean ok....

To be fair, Biden's "mentor" traded 5 terrorists for a traitor so Biden is just trying to make Obama proud.

• Thanks 1

You are actins as if you know how the negotiations went.  Maybe it was this or nothing.  I have no idea.

Then we should have taken nothing.

Then do nothing.  It was a terrible trade.  They do nothing with other lesser profile people.  Do they not? 

I am more concerned with bringing our military folks home.  They were ordered overseas.  They did not choose to go there as did Ms. Griner.  

Frankly I am more interested in the return of the Pueblo than the return of Ms. Griner.

verified_stroke_1.png
Official

NEW: A senior U.S. official tells they tried everything they could to get Paul Whelan out, but “they are treating him differently. They say he is an espionage case. They said the choice was either one [Griner] or none.”

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You might include links when you post things like this.  The above seems like an incomplete statement from the family.  They also said:

Whelan's brother, David Whelan, said in a statement that while he can "literally only imagine the joy she will have, being reunited with her loved ones, and in time for the holidays," the inability to also bring Whelan home remains difficult for the family to process.

"That early warning meant that our family has been able to mentally prepare for what is now a public disappointment for us. And a catastrophe for Paul," David Whelan said. "I do not know if he is aware yet, although he will surely learn from Russian media."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/family-paul-whelan-american-imprisoned-russia-says-warned-brittney-gri-rcna60732

• Thanks 1

verified_stroke_1.png
Official

NEW: A senior U.S. official tells they tried everything they could to get Paul Whelan out, but “they are treating him differently. They say he is an espionage case. They said the choice was either one [Griner] or none.”

Fine.  "None it is" would have been my response.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

verified_stroke_1.png
Official

This may or may not be true, as far as being an actual quote.  That they don't give an actual name gives me pause.  But, even if it is an actual quote, I don't believe it.

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

To be fair, Biden's "mentor" traded 5 terrorists for a traitor so Biden is just trying to make Obama proud.

Didn't Trump have like 5,000 Taliban released?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

They're still trying to get Whelan released.  Whelan's brother even said it was good that Biden made the deal for Griner.

Who the hell cares what his brother thinks? How about the man himself.  Is he happy an America hating person was released as opposed to him?

You must not be able to think with some of the crap you spew.  And yes, I know the networks are all saying this about Whelan’s brother .  It’s like he is the one sitting in a Russian prison.  

Can't have the embarrassingly cowardly optics of giving in to every Russian trade demand until just after the elections are over. 

Putin: Give me back my terrorist. 

Biden: gurgle...gurgle...gurgle....uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhh...

Just now, Alias Detective said:

Who the hell cares what his brother thinks? How about the man himself.  Is he happy an America hating person was released as opposed to him?

You must not be able to think with some of the crap you spew.  And yes, I know the networks are all saying this about Whelan’s brother .  It’s like he is the one sitting in a Russian prison.  

I am thinking, more logically than most from what I'm seeing. 

Not taking the court during the National Anthem does not make someone an American hating person.

There's no doubt that he's upset that he hasn't been released.  We don't know what Russia wants in return for Whelan though.

I agree the trade was lopsided.  I think it's important to get an American back when you can though.

Not taking the court during the National Anthem does not make someone an American hating person.

There's no doubt that he's upset that he hasn't been released.  We don't know what Russia wants in return for Whelan though.

I agree the trade was lopsided.  I think it's important to get an American back when you can though.

Do any American detained from now on, we offer a terrorist in return? 

Did I get that right?

9 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Biden: gurgle...gurgle...gurgle....uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhh...

Terri Schiavo?

I find it interesting that Francis Gary Powers was only sentenced to one more year than Ms, Griner.  I bring it up as my memory is that was the first spy swap, or prisoner swap between the Countries, presuming Russia is the heir to the U.S.S.R.

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Do any American detained from now on, we offer a terrorist in return? 

Did I get that right?

Not what I'm saying.  I'm sure you know there's a lot more that goes into negotiations, no need exaggerate.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm curious what Russia wants for Whelan.  Trump was unable to get him released as well.

Right. If it took giving back the "Lord of War" to get Griner, do we even have the trade capital to negotiate for a US citizen accused of being a spy?

1 minute ago, patweisers44 said:

Right. If it took giving back the "Lord of War" to get Griner, do we even have the trade capital to negotiate for a US citizen accused of being a spy?

Exactly.  We most likely don't have the leverage to get him.

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm curious what Russia wants for Whelan.  Trump was unable to get him released as well.

We could offer them Kathy Griffen, Hunter Biden, and Donald Trump and I'd be good with the swap, but they would have to agree to keep Ms. Griffen for life and to hold her en comunicado.

• Thanks 1

This was probably the best deal they could get at this time. I hope she comes back with a greater appreciation and respect for this country. 

I'm curious to know how many Russian detainees we still have. 

• Thanks 1

Exactly.  We most likely don't have the leverage to get him.

Because we place very different value on individuals than does Russia.  We overvalue the individual, particularly if they have some fame or cache, and they undervalue the individual.

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I agree. That we were able to make any deal at all at least shows that Putin is willing to agree to something, and I hope this opens the door to bigger things.