Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Zeke, Barkley, McCaffery studs or duds?

2022 are they still studs or duds?  How do you rank them?  Do you think there is any chance of any of them returning to elite form?

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

2022 are they still studs or duds?  How do you rank them?  Do you think there is any chance of any of them returning to elite form?

I'm holding out hope for Barkley in a contract year and would consider taking him in a ten team, ppr, with my 3rd round pick, as a #2 RB. Zeke seems to be far removed from being a #1 RB but I'd take him as well as a #2 RB.

As for CMC the injuries make him a big risk. The reward however would be substantial if he returns to form. I'd take him at pick #5 in round #1 after Taylor, Henry, Harris, and Ekeler.

All 3 have taken at least 2 years off from being a fantasy stud.

RBs almost never bounce back from that

I would avoid all 3 like the plague in round 1

There is always a chance, but can one feel good about any of them? Unlikely. I guess if forced to rank in May I'd go Barkley-1st as noted contract year for him. If he wants to get paid it's now or never. CMC 2nd, at least he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear lately, and Zeke 3rd. Of the 3 I wouldn't touch Zeke until rd 3. He looked cooked last year, and while the healthiest of the 3 by far, he has a ton of tread on those tires. I do think if they can stay on the field, a big if, Saquon and CMC could be studs.

all 3 are interesting players to speculate on.

CMC has had his health issues.  hes a bit of a smallish player.   I now worry about his ability to stay healthy.    he now reminds me of David Johnson.  also a smallish player, ran into injury problems and came back and wasnt quite the same after that.

I think you probaby need to pick him as a mid range RB1 if you are gonna get him because you to some degree are paying for the name.  

At that price I dont like him.  My risk premium for him is perhaps higher than most of you.  I"d draft him as an RB2 which likely means I dont get him.

Barkley I think to some degree was a victim of a bad team a bad coach and a bad O line.    new players on the line and a new coach give me some hope.  for me hes likely a RB2 as well for fantasy.  I'm not paying an RB1 price for him even though I like that hes in a contract year.

Zeke.... I had him on my fantasy team last year.  he was a really good up to the point where he got injured, and when he returned from injury he just wasnt the same player.

I personally think he was playing hurt.   if you wanna be sure to get him you probably need to draft him as a high end RB2.  some will still draft him as a RB1 but I'm not one of those.  the presence of pollard limit his upside to a point where I wouldnt pay that high a price for him.

I'll pay an RB2 price for him if he looks good in pre season.

to some extent all these guys need to look good in pre season before I'd pull the trigger on them but I think at least one of them will bounce back.  the question is which one will it be?

I personally like Zeke and Sequon more than CMC  but that is based on my own preferences.   Of the 3 Sequon is the one you likely get for the lowest price

FFC shows in a 1/2 point ppr Barkely as a 4th round pick, the Zeke 3rd round, and Mccaffery 1.08. 

Mccaffery I think is a very good value at 1.08, if he does stay healthy you might have drafted the best player in ff.  I would even take him a little higher.  

Barkley inmthe 4 th is a great value, of course he needs to stay healthy, I would even draft him in the 3rd round.  

Pollard has proved that he’s a very good player, the Zeke is a good value in the 3rd , but I would pass and take him 8n the 4th if he was fall, no matter how healthy the Zeke is , Pollard as earn an RBBC with the Cowboys.  

I'll probably just draft Dalvin Cook and Mattison like I do every year.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, weepaws said:

FFC shows in a 1/2 point ppr Barkely as a 4th round pick, the Zeke 3rd round, and Mccaffery 1.08. 

Mccaffery I think is a very good value at 1.08, if he does stay healthy you might have drafted the best player in ff.  I would even take him a little higher.  

Barkley inmthe 4 th is a great value, of course he needs to stay healthy, I would even draft him in the 3rd round.  

Pollard has proved that he’s a very good player, the Zeke is a good value in the 3rd , but I would pass and take him 8n the 4th if he was fall, no matter how healthy the Zeke is , Pollard as earn an RBBC with the Cowboys.  

well, if you are gonna take a chance on a player like this, usually the cheapest price paid yields the best result if the player actually bounces back.

at 1.08 for CMC if he doesnt turn it around, you've kind of hooped your draft.   you can win if you blow your first round pick, but you really need to nail nearly all  your picks for the rest of the draft.

if you botch a third round pick, its far easier to recover. 

for that reason Zeke in round 3 or Barkley in the 4th is likely the way I'd go if I had the opportunity.

my leagues are auctions so its really about auction dollars and getting value for the dollar.   in some respects that format is easier.  you set your budget for the player and you go with it.  adjusting up or down depending on how the auction rolls.

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, if you are gonna take a chance on a player like this, usually the cheapest price paid yields the best result if the player actually bounces back.

at 1.08 for CMC if he doesnt turn it around, you've kind of hooped your draft.   you can win if you blow your first round pick, but you really need to nail nearly all  your picks for the rest of the draft.

if you botch a third round pick, its far easier to recover. 

for that reason Zeke in round 3 or Barkley in the 4th is likely the way I'd go if I had the opportunity.

my leagues are auctions so its really about auction dollars and getting value for the dollar.   in some respects that format is easier.  you set your budget for the player and you go with it.  adjusting up or down depending on how the auction rolls.

At 1.08 Mccaffery has never been at a better value in a redraft.  

If I took Taylor with the first pick and he takes that one big hit suffers a season ending injury I would be in the situation if I take Mccaffery at 1.08. 

I think the Zeke in the third is more of a challenge for me, I think Pollard isn’t going away, so even if the Zeke does return injury free the Cowboys aren’t going to just sit Pollard. So I would rather take the Zeke one round later. 

Barkley with his injury problems is no peach in the fourth round, I think that’s a great value, but his ADP is going to rise before late August, and I prefer Barkely over the Zeke. 

My first round pick I hope to get 1/2 ppr, D Henry. 

Agree the hardest part of an auction league trying not to spend to much early, in a redraft you have one shot, redraft is much more difficult when it comes to getting the draft right. 

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

At 1.08 Mccaffery has never been at a better value in a redraft.  

If I took Taylor with the first pick and he takes that one big hit suffers a season ending injury I would be in the situation if I take Mccaffery at 1.08. 

I think the Zeke in the third is more of a challenge for me, I think Pollard isn’t going away, so even if the Zeke does return injury free the Cowboys aren’t going to just sit Pollard. So I would rather take the Zeke one round later. 

Barkley with his injury problems is no peach in the fourth round, I think that’s a great value, but his ADP is going to rise before late August, and I prefer Barkely over the Zeke. 

My first round pick I hope to get 1/2 ppr, D Henry. 

Agree the hardest part of an auction league trying not to spend to much early, in a redraft you have one shot, redraft is much more difficult when it comes to getting the draft right. 

well, the way you prepare for an auction is different than the way you prepare for a redraft.

in a redraft, you can rank your players and draft.

in an auction you put dollar values by the players, but if people are overpaying for RB's you have to adjust your strategy (either load up at other positions or follow suit)

sometimes with the auction its a poker game where you strategically get certain other people to bid higher on some players early so they cant compete with you on a certain player later in the draft.

there are multiple angles multiple strategies and you need to find a way to field a competitive team.   if you get value for your dollar, you have more cash to buy the depth players.

its about discipline, but its also a matter of knowing when to spend your money.   Certain players you make sure you get them (or at least force someone to pay a lot of cash for them)

sometimes its even about bidding on a player cuz you dont wanna let someone else(especially a good team) get a good quality player for almost nothing.

23 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, the way you prepare for an auction is different than the way you prepare for a redraft.

in a redraft, you can rank your players and draft.

in an auction you put dollar values by the players, but if people are overpaying for RB's you have to adjust your strategy (either load up at other positions or follow suit)

sometimes with the auction its a poker game where you strategically get certain other people to bid higher on some players early so they cant compete with you on a certain player later in the draft.

there are multiple angles multiple strategies and you need to find a way to field a competitive team.   if you get value for your dollar, you have more cash to buy the depth players.

its about discipline, but its also a matter of knowing when to spend your money.   Certain players you make sure you get them (or at least force someone to pay a lot of cash for them)

sometimes its even about bidding on a player cuz you dont wanna let someone else(especially a good team) get a good quality player for almost nothing.

We agree. 

A lot of rankings I've seen McCaffrey ranked in the top 5. If he stays healthy he'll put up top 5 numbers but he's still too much risk for me to take with a top 5 pick.  Too many good youngsters available with less injury risk.

2 hours ago, DocNiner said:

A lot of rankings I've seen McCaffrey ranked in the top 5. If he stays healthy he'll put up top 5 numbers but he's still too much risk for me to take with a top 5 pick.  Too many good youngsters available with less injury risk.

well, its reasonable to draft someone top 5 if you were reasonablyk sure that he'd put up the  numbers.

problem is hes missed a lot of time so it is fair and reasonable to add a discount based on his health.

based on risk, hes probably a fringe RB1 for me.   If you knew he'd be healthy of course you'd rank him higher but thats a tough pill to swallow to pick him top 5 and have him get hurt for half the year.

You need to have more than that from a top 5 or 6 pick.

If healthy Mccaffery can win leagues.   

Im not going to take him I’m drafting in the top five, just worth the risk. But 6th and later I’ll take him.  

If healthy Barkley can win leagues. The problem with Barkley and CMC is neither has been healthy in 3 years. Taking either in rd 1 is a roll of the dice. Sometimes it comes up a seven other times as craps. The biggest difference isCMC already got paid, Barkley hasn’t so I’d much prefer him in rd 2 than CMC in rd 1…

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

If healthy Barkley can win leagues. The problem with Barkley and CMC is neither has been healthy in 3 years. Taking either in rd 1 is a roll of the dice. Sometimes it comes up a seven other times as craps. The biggest difference isCMC already got paid, Barkley hasn’t so I’d much prefer him in rd 2 than CMC in rd 1…

Barkley's current 3rd-round ADP is particularly attractive.

20 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Barkley's current 3rd-round ADP is particularly attractive.

I’d expect that to come down eventually. There has been a lot of reporting from mini-camp that he is 100% healthy now and they are lining him up all over the formation as a wr. But if you draft early and can get him in the 3rd that would be sweet! 

Barkley is a bust. Major dud

McCaffery injury guy so who the heck knows. 

Elliot, done. HIs time is near. 

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

This I would agree with.

at the 3rd round ADP I'd rather have Barkley than CMC in the lower half of round 1.

hes playing for a contract.   most often when this happens players just seem to be On more often than not.

The motovation for some just disappears once some players get paid.    I cannot say that this is the case for CMC.  I'm not sure if its even related, but I have found players in contract years usually dont disappoint

55 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Elliot, done. HIs time is near.

I wouldnt go this far yet.   He looked really good last year up until the time he got hurt.   and to my knowledge its his second injury even if he didnt miss time.   while not a major injury it is the kind that lingers and hinders productiuon.  he clearly was not the same player.  I should know. I watched.   pre injury vs post injury was like night and day.

what scares me about his situation is that Pollard is a very good back.   not quite good enough to unseat him but good enough to cut into his carries and fantasy points.

so even if you think he comes back fully healthy, the time share bumps him down.  I wouldnt spend a first round pick on him anymore.   

Not sure what his ADP is(I admit I am too lazy to check) ...... but off the top of my head I'd guess it should be late 2nd or early 3rd.   

but due to his name/reputation, he probably goes early 2nd.   Maybe late 1st if there is a Cowboys fan drafting in that slot.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Barkley Fields is a bust. Major dud

Fixored...

If reports of Barkely keep coming back like they have been so far, he’ll end up with a round one or high round two adp come August. 

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt go this far yet.   He looked really good last year up until the time he got hurt.   and to my knowledge its his second injury even if he didnt miss time.   while not a major injury it is the kind that lingers and hinders productiuon.  he clearly was not the same player.  I should know. I watched.   pre injury vs post injury was like night and day.

what scares me about his situation is that Pollard is a very good back.   not quite good enough to unseat him but good enough to cut into his carries and fantasy points.

so even if you think he comes back fully healthy, the time share bumps him down.  I wouldnt spend a first round pick on him anymore.   

Not sure what his ADP is(I admit I am too lazy to check) ...... but off the top of my head I'd guess it should be late 2nd or early 3rd.   

but due to his name/reputation, he probably goes early 2nd.   Maybe late 1st if there is a Cowboys fan drafting in that slot.

I agree with you about the Zeke, my big concern about drafting him in the 3rd round would be how much time do the Cowboys give Pollard , he’s earn more playing time imo.  

I say all 3 will have some part DUD to their game this year. I pick McCaffrey as the least DUDly of the three. Not basing this on any facts, anal of the 3 but on what I feel in my gut about them. May be a less than favorable way to go but I've trusted my gut about players for years and my gut hasn't steered me wrong much.

McCaffrey the only one of the 3 I'd consider in the 1st and I just don't trust, at least this year, the other 2 to be a big part of my fantasy team. While I trust my gut I could be completely wrong about these 3 but my gut and I can live with that. You guys can have them.though and I wish you luck.

7 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

I say all 3 will have some part DUD to their game this year. I pick McCaffrey as the least DUDly of the three. Not basing this on any facts, anal of the 3 but on what I feel in my gut about them. May be a less than favorable way to go but I've trusted my gut about players for years and my gut hasn't steered me wrong much.

McCaffrey the only one of the 3 I'd consider in the 1st and I just don't trust, at least this year, the other 2 to be a big part of my fantasy team. While I trust my gut I could be completely wrong about these 3 but my gut and I can live with that. You guys can have them.though and I wish you luck.

Thanks! I wish you luck with Trey Lance. You're gonna need it...

On 5/29/2022 at 11:06 AM, jrokh said:

There is always a chance, but can one feel good about any of them? Unlikely. I guess if forced to rank in May I'd go Barkley-1st as noted contract year for him. If he wants to get paid it's now or never. CMC 2nd, at least he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear lately, and Zeke 3rd. Of the 3 I wouldn't touch Zeke until rd 3. He looked cooked last year, and while the healthiest of the 3 by far, he has a ton of tread on those tires. I do think if they can stay on the field, a big if, Saquon and CMC could be studs.

You rank Barkley over CMC. Let me guess. You voted for Biden and drive wearing a mask. You’re a dumbazz 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wolves111 said:

You really are a cowardly, piece of .

2 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

You rank Barkley over CMC. Let me guess. You voted for Biden and drive wearing a mask. You’re a dumbazz 

So I notice your two most recent posts have served no purpose other than to insult people.  Are you having a bad day?

19 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

I don't think you read my post fully, nor correctly. If you need some help getting that sand out of your vag, I know a guy. Happy to help...

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I don't think you read my post fully, nor correctly. If you need some help getting that sand out of your vag, I know a guy. Happy to help...

No thx. I’m straight and married. I know that’s difficult for a princess like you to understand.

10 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

No thx. I’m straight and married. I know that’s difficult for a princess like you to understand.

Based on your most recent and hostile posts, it must be a rough go for you. My condolences…

3 hours ago, DocNiner said:

A healthy Mccaffery is a league winner, I don’t see that in the other two. 

15 minutes ago, weepaws said:

A healthy Mccaffery is a league winner, I don’t see that in the other two. 

I dont know.  if Barkley can return to pre injury form I'd gladly buy him at the price of a 3rd round pick.   That's Not quite CMC territory but it is close.

its not unusual for someone to take a full 2 years after an ACL tear.    sometimes the second year is ACL sometimes its other related injuries that sometimes happen while in recovery. 

all reports show hes looking good so far this year, but then its early and these reports always come out early when the team is trying to hype someone.

too early to say yet, but we shall see as the magical draft day approaches.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I dont know.  if Barkley can return to pre injury form I'd gladly buy him at the price of a 3rd round pick.   That's Not quite CMC territory but it is close.

its not unusual for someone to take a full 2 years after an ACL tear.    sometimes the second year is ACL sometimes its other related injuries that sometimes happen while in recovery. 

all reports show hes looking good so far this year, but then its early and these reports always come out early when the team is trying to hype someone.

too early to say yet, but we shall see as the magical draft day approaches.

I would and have been gladly taking Barkely in 3rd round , but right now I wouldn’t call him a league winner like a healthy Mccaffery would be.  But if those reports stay positive for Barkely and he’s healthy, he won’t be a third round pick come late August. 

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

I would and have been gladly taking Barkely in 3rd round , but right now I wouldn’t call him a league winner like a healthy Mccaffery would be.  But if those reports stay positive for Barkely and he’s healthy, he won’t be a third round pick come late August. 

at this point I'd say it depends on the hype.   I was initially thinking he might go outside of the first 3 rounds in most drafts, and I was targeting him as a bargain pickup, but that may not happen anymore.   so far there's reasonable hype surrounding him.

and with a new coach, there is more reason to be optomistic.

what I dont know enough about is what the new coach is about.   I have to believe hes better than the old one.  Thats all I'm willing to commit to at this point.

to me, the success of this team really depends on getting that line working.   It probably needs to be the top priority. 

On 6/10/2022 at 4:26 PM, Ray_T said:

He looked really good last year up until the time he got hurt. 

He did?  Were we watching the same player?

He was certainly better in the first few games, but he was far from the Zeke of old. He did slow from the injury but he is what he is at this point.

That is he's going down the same path guys like Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson did.

He's likely to be a steady plodder for a while. He'll get some tough yards between the tackles. He'll probably get most of the short yardage and goal line work. He'll even get some catches and stay on the field during pass plays because he's an excellent pass blocker. His days of being a game breaking, big numbers RB are probably over though.

He's a decent RB2/flex option for now. Any expectations more than that and one is setting themselves up for disappointment.

The more good reports about Barkely, the higher is ADP will rise.  I think Barkely is worth more then the Zeke, if he’s healthy, he’s going to be used in their pass game a lot , and he doesn’t have a back up named Pollard taking reps.  

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

He did?  Were we watching the same player?

He was certainly better in the first few games, but he was far from the Zeke of old. He did slow from the injury but he is what he is at this point.

That is he's going down the same path guys like Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson did.

He's likely to be a steady plodder for a while. He'll get some tough yards between the tackles. He'll probably get most of the short yardage and goal line work. He'll even get some catches and stay on the field during pass plays because he's an excellent pass blocker. His days of being a game breaking, big numbers RB are probably over though.

He's a decent RB2/flex option for now. Any expectations more than that and one is setting themselves up for disappointment.

well, if you are drafting him later than the second half of round 2 thats the price you are paying.   RB2 value.

If I was suggesting he was an RB1 I'd be saying hes a first or early 2nd round pick.

Nobody here was suggesting that.

I figure he goes sometime in the 2nd, but thats not where I'd draft him.  as per my earlier post.....hes a 3rd round pick for me.   That places him firmly in RB2 territory.   the bonus (if you get him at that price) is he can still give you the RB1 upside.

As for being a plodder, he will be there at some point.   hes still young enough (26) that I wouldnt put him in that category yet.   There is a chance he still has one more big year left in him.  but its a speculative buy if you are paying more than a 3rd round pick for him.

I think there is a good chance of a bounceback year.   the only question I have is whether it is going to be a small bounceback or a large one.  I think he will be better than last year (unless he gets hurt again)