Sign in to follow this  
5-Points

The Sopranos vs The Wire

Which would you watch again first?

Sopranos but both are good.

32 minutes ago, posty said:

Never saw either of them the first time...

Let me be the first to say that this is the least shocking post in GC history. 

:mellow:

Of the two, The Wire. 

But if I were doing a re-watch, I'd take SOA and/or Mad Men over both. 

One of the things I hated about The sopranos is they talk like normal people for the most part, until it came time for Italian food.

"So, I was walking past the parking lot on my way to the grocery store to pick up some GABAGOOSH! ... And I see a quarter on the ground....

4 hours ago, posty said:

Never saw either of them the first time...

Without a Doubt Six Feet Under is for Posty.

he still won’t watch. 

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

One of the things I hated about The sopranos is they talk like normal people for the most part, until it came time for Italian food.

"So, I was walking past the parking lot on my way to the grocery store to pick up some GABAGOOSH! ... And I see a quarter on the ground....

Jim Jeffries fan? 

Too loud here. Will follow up. But if its the same thing like I said, that was the most glaring aspect to a lot of people.

I had Italian relatives. They never spoke like that. 

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

This. I didn't really like the wire much. Didn't finish it. 

Agree with this. The Wire was good but I don’t get it being “best show ever” good. BB is the only show that rivals the Sopranos.

5 hours ago, wiffleball said:

ive seen white girls do this.  when they talk to a black guy, they suddenly start sounding black.  two seconds after he leaves, they drop back into a white accent again.

15 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

ive seen white girls do this.  when they talk to a black guy, they suddenly start sounding black.  two seconds after he leaves, they drop back into a white accent again.

Yeah. I've seen it at work. Upstairs, it's all normal English.

Downstairs at the smoker area... It's soul train. 

4 hours ago, dain11279 said:

Agree with this. The Wire was good but I don’t get it being “best show ever” good. BB is the only show that rivals the Sopranos.

I didn't say it was the best show ever. It was pretty good up until season 5. 

We've been rewatching the Sopranos lately but yesterday HBO was playing season 1 of The Wire and I turned it on. It still holds up. 

Incidentally, there's a new show on HBO called "We Own This City." It's pretty good too. Has a lot of the same actors from The Wire. 

The Wire was so bad I stopped watching in season 4.  The only reaaon I stuck with it so long was because of the reviews I read.  Sopranos for sure but Breaking Bad number 1 all time for me.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:44 AM, Beaker15 said:

The Wire was so bad I stopped watching in season 4.  The only reaaon I stuck with it so long was because of the reviews I read.  Sopranos for sure but Breaking Bad number 1 all time for me.

I stopped the wire in season 3. 

Ive tried breaking bad 3 times. Never made it deeper than season 3.

I liked the wire a lot the first time around. On re-watch, might have been the third time, it got annoying. David Simons formula is played out at this point. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:37 PM, BeenHereBefore said:

Breaking Bad.

:thumbsup:

I have seen both series twice, and enjoyed the Wire more the second time through.  But both are great re-watches.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, Beaker15 said:

Same but dropped earlier. I kept hearing how amazing the Wire was, and I couldn't really get into it.  I was especially told season 3 was one of the best seasons of television, ever.  Never got to it..it just didn't hold my interest much.  Always felt like I was missing out on something because of that